Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #251
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbadoom View Post
I seemed to have missed the part where it was suggested or established that Killian and AIM are American.
I know Tony meets Killian and Rebecca Hall in Europe, and Killian and Hall are played by a British actors - so I guess that adds up to AIM being an American defense contractor.
Actually, the AIM Institute is based in Miami, as is made clear in the movie. Killian and Maya have American accents, even if they're British actors (same for Ben Kingsley, same for James Badge Dale). The fact that the NYE99 party was in Bern means nothing --- Tony himself wasn't European; nor was Ho Yinsen. It was an international party. And AIM isn't a defense contractor --- it's a think tank of scientists who rely on private funding for their research into advances in science and technology.

There's still a lot of people who weren't paying attention during IM3....:sigh:

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 05-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #252
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

bubbadoom,

Well it's obvious Killian worked with the military and sold them exclusive tech.

Only defense contractors do both.

And it doesn't matter if AIM is a national or muti-national entity. The cautionary tale against the defense industry is the same.

Last edited by MessiahDecoy123; 05-21-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #253
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Actually, the AIM Institute is based in Miami, as is made clear in the movie. Killian and Maya have American accents, even if they're British actors (same for Ben Kingsley, same for James Badge Dale). The fact that the NYE99 party was in Bern means nothing --- Tony himself wasn't European; nor was Ho Yinsen. It was an international party. And AIM isn't a defense contractor --- it's a think tank of scientists who rely on private funding for their research into advances in science and technology.

There's still a lot of people who weren't paying attention during IM3....:sigh:
AIM having a facility in the US does not automatically make it a US company - I am sure British Petroleum has holdings in the US...

Did not detect a specific accent for Killian or Maya, but certainly for Trevor.

I did not label AIM a defense contractor...'cause I was paying attention...

Old 05-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #254
T"Challa
Side-Kick

From Mike Sang, a Cleveland reporter who has been followint Cap 2 production in Cleveland

Quote:
Heard around the set: next avengers movie features Black Panther, Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch. Sounds right. #CleFilms
Don't want to get my hopes up but if this is true..how do u guys thing T'Challa will fit into the story

Old 05-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #255
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Sir Ben Kingsley doesn't have Arab blood. Kingsley is half Pakistani which is southern Asia.

Kevin Feige said Kingsley's Mandarin has drawn from multiple cultures and iconography. His costume and looks draw from Japanese, Chinese, Arab and American icons. They wanted to throw people off.

Last edited by chamber-music; 05-21-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #256
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
bubbadoom,

Well it's obvious Killian worked with the military and sold them exclusive tech.

Only defense contractors do both.

And it doesn't matter if AIM is a national or muti-national entity. The cautionary tale against the defense industry is the same.
True, AIM refitted Iron Patriot, just like Hammer did with War Machine in IM2 - you would have thought they'd learn their lesson by now...

Making AIM multi-national opens up the entire story, putting it on a global level, which I think in nice.

I do hope Panther is in AVENGERS 2 and then his own film - he has always been one of my favorite Kirby creations and it would be great to see him done properly on the Big Screen...

Old 05-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #257
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

Quote:
AIM having a facility in the US does not automatically make it a US company - I am sure British Petroleum has holdings in the US...

Did not detect a specific accent for Killian or Maya, but certainly for Trevor.

I did not label AIM a defense contractor...'cause I was paying attention...
What was AIM's and Killian's relationship with the military?

Did they offer any technology to the military?

and why did they use military service members for their experiments?

(This should be good)

Old 05-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #258
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
Sir Ben Kingsley doesn't have Arab blood. Kingsley is half Pakistani which is southern Asia.

Kevin Feige said Kingsley's Mandarin has drawn from multiple cultures and iconography. His costume and looks draw from Japanese, Chinese, Arab and American icons. They wanted to throw people off.
You expect Kevin Feige to openly admit the Mandarin is directly inspired by Bin Laden?

That's a public relations nightmare for Marvel/Disney considering it was an American who works with the US military pulling the Mandarin's strings.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #259
tvor03
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by T"Challa View Post
From Mike Sang, a Cleveland reporter who has been followint Cap 2 production in Cleveland

Don't want to get my hopes up but if this is true..how do u guys thing T'Challa will fit into the story
That is awesome! Though, if they decide to go young with Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, I hope they go older with BP. I don't want this to be old superheroes vs. young whipper-snapper superheroes.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #260
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
What was AIM's and Killian's relationship with the military?

Did they offer any technology to the military?

and why did they use military service members for their experiments?

(This should be good)
The only relationship I recall with AIM and the military was AIM's upgrade on Iron Patriot - which seems more of a plot device to allow Tony to hack their system and learn the Mandarins location.

Did they use military service members or ex-military service members? I believe it was ex, and I would assume it was for both their combat skills and those who had some bitterness towards the US for their war wounds, loss of limbs, etc. - this would make them easy pawns.

good enough?

Old 05-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #261
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
You expect Kevin Feige to openly admit the Mandarin is directly inspired by Bin Laden?

That's a public relations nightmare for Marvel/Disney considering it was an American who works with the US military pulling the Mandarin's strings.
again, not established but assumed...

Old 05-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #262
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvor03 View Post
That is awesome! Though, if they decide to go young with Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, I hope they go older with BP. I don't want this to be old superheroes vs. young whipper-snapper superheroes.
I would not want them to go too old with the Panther - it should have been his father [or grandfather] who met Cap in WWII - not the current BP.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:57 PM   #263
tvor03
Side-Kick

Quote:
I would not want them to go too old with the Panther - it should have been his father [or grandfather] who met Cap in WWII - not the current BP.
I don't want BP to be 90. Even a 40 year old can have a grandfather that served in WWII.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:18 PM   #264
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvor03 View Post
I don't want BP to be 90. Even a 40 year old can have a grandfather that served in WWII.
sure - somewhere between Cap's and Hawkeye's age...

Old 05-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #265
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

Quote:
The only relationship I recall with AIM and the military was AIM's upgrade on Iron Patriot - which seems more of a plot device to allow Tony to hack their system and learn the Mandarins location.

Did they use military service members or ex-military service members? I believe it was ex, and I would assume it was for both their combat skills and those who had some bitterness towards the US for their war wounds, loss of limbs, etc. - this would make them easy pawns.

good enough?
So there was a relationship with the military which included providing technological weapons for the US military.

Does anyone do this outside of defense contractors?

Old 05-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #266
E-Man
Cooler than your daddy.

Quote:
It was his father, T'Chaka, who met Cap up until Hudlin changed it. I'd say keep it that way because Hudlin's run was terrible and needs to be forgotten.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #267
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:

Feige *did* admit Mandarin is inspired directly by Bin Laden.

Quote:
The two filmmakers envisioned the Mandarin as an “entity that is right off the bat … recognizable and is frightening and is fearful in a very sort of ripped from the headlines, Osama bin Laden kind of way,” Feige said, adding that Black also found inspiration for Kingsley’s character in Marlon Brando’s Colonel Kurtz in “Apocalypse Now.”
“Was he a guy who has gone off the reservation, who is incorporating all of these different symbols and iconography into his world view?” Feige posed.
“Yeah, he has an intelligence background,” added Black. “He was probably a supervisor of atrocities in his time, whenever it was.
“At some point this field officer went nuts and became a student of warfare and ancient Chinese symbology and drew from from South American insurgency tactics and has created around himself this little world of warfare, the only unifying principle of which seems to be a hatred of the United States. And so he represents every terrorist in a way.”
http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-...164713346.html

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 05-22-2013, 01:18 AM   #268
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
So there was a relationship with the military which included providing technological weapons for the US military.

Does anyone do this outside of defense contractors?
You say AIM is a defense contractor...

Cherokeesam says think tank...

How the hell did I get stuck in the middle of this...?

I did not say AIM provided weapons for the military, I said they did the upgrade on Iron Patriot - soft ware I would assume since Tony was hacking AIM later...

Old 05-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #269
tvor03
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
It was his father, T'Chaka, who met Cap up until Hudlin changed it. I'd say keep it that way because Hudlin's run was terrible and needs to be forgotten.
This issue with that is we are now 70 years removed from WWII. T'Challa would either need to be in his mid-late 50's, or T'Chaka would need to be exceptionally older than T'Challa.

IF they even decide to include that bit of information in the Avengers, that Cap met an earlier BP, it needs to be T'Challa's grandfather, or even great-grandfater if they go young with him.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #270
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

^^Yeah we don't need a rehash of the Iron Man headscratcher.

http://myth-smith.com/
Old 05-22-2013, 04:02 PM   #271
E-Man
Cooler than your daddy.

The heart shaped herb ages them slowly. That would be a good enough excuse for me.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #272
Mr. Dent
Banned User

I'm starting to think Black Panther won't get a solo movie. His origin works better rolled into another movie's storyline ie Avengers in this case.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #273
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
I'm starting to think Black Panther won't get a solo movie. His origin works better rolled into another movie's storyline ie Avengers in this case.
I disagree.

A well excuted Black Panther trilogy could be worth a billion dollars in revenue not including dvds, tv rights, toys and other merchandise.

Ant Man would be lucky to have half that value.

For proof look at the Blade trilogy and adjust it for 3D, inflation, market growth, and wider audience (PG-13).

Then add a substantial Avengers boost at the box office. Also consider black people are one of the strongest demographics for blockbusters.

Black Panther is a potential cash cow for Disney. They'd be foolish to squander it.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #274
Mr. Dent
Banned User

No, it just doesn't work well in an expanded universe on its own. Wakanda is an isolated nation and the only way to make it relevant is by showing how they're an old society who has trouble adapting to the present and must allow outsiders to come in. In the original comics it was the FF that served as an engine for this story. The only way to adequately introduce Wakanda and the Panther is through an Avengers film, and if they're going to do that there's not much point in making solo films for the Panther unless he becomes the breakout star of the Avengers film, especially since Panther doesn't really have any notable classic stories on his own and his rogue's gallery is even weaker than Iron Man's.

And your claim that Ant-Man would be lucky to get half of that is completely unfounded and based entirely on bias. Blade is not anything close to Black Panther besides them both having black protagonists, so that comparison is largely irrelevant.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #275
Human Torch
The Boss in Blue

Personally,I think BP would be better served being introduced in an Avengers film.Then,spin him off into his own franchise.

Closed Thread