Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 01:38 AM   #926
Paradox1
Side-Kick

Default Re: EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbadoom View Post
The 10% I spoke of was the three Blade films. Seems like Fury did his share in the Avengers, and War Machine did a bit of the heavy lifting in IM2 & 3, but I guess that's open to interpretation...
I knew exactly what you meant but Blade was over 10yrs ago and licensed out to another studio who did most of the heavy lifting. Comic Blade and movie Blade are different, vastly different in fact.Beside the obvious they have little in common. War Machine was a supporting character at best. If War machine was a player on the Miami Heat he's Udonis Haslem.

"Wars are never won, regardless of who might be the victor. The very act of war is itself a horrible defeat." Guardian of the Universe "Battleground: Oa!" Green Lantern, 1st Silver Age series, #127, Denny O'Neil)
Old 10-30-2013, 05:49 AM   #927
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
What first got me into comics was Generation X, an X-Men offshoot team. I was in the comics store and I saw a team with two black people. It fracking Blew. My. Mind. There was no limit to the number of black people allowed to be awesome!? How could this be? I had to know more... and know more I did. From there, as I got older and more abstract in my thinking, it became much more natural for me to identify with the ideals behind Batman and Superman and others.
I loved Gernation X.

I don't like the fact that Marvel seems to love killing or bumping into limbo the normal well adjusted black heroes like Synch, Patriot, Bill Foster and Bedlam. Atleast Prodigy is back now in Young Avengers.

I used to read the Steel, Luke Cage War Machine comics back in the 90's as well not just because they featured black but because they were good comics. It feels like there are less solo black hero comics around today than there was back then.

Given the reaction to some comic fans about Mighty Avengers and Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-man it seems like racial prejudice has actually got worst in some sections of the comic book community.

Last edited by chamber-music; 10-30-2013 at 05:57 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #928
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

What I have always like about the Black Panther is that he is not just a great "black" character - he is a great character - period.

When Marvel finally gives us a Panther movie - and if it captures a fraction of what Kirby & Lee first gave us - it will be a fantastic film!

Old 10-30-2013, 01:18 PM   #929
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post

Given the reaction to some comic fans about Mighty Avengers and Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-man it seems like racial prejudice has actually got worst in some sections of the comic book community.
There are too many Avengers books for me to keep up with, so I am not aware of the reactions to the Mighty Avengers. Are the reactions to the changes in USM over his race or the fact that someone other than Peter Parker is now Spider-Man?

Old 10-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #930
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
There are too many Avengers books for me to keep up with, so I am not aware of the reactions to the Mighty Avengers. Are the reactions to the changes in USM over his race or the fact that someone other than Peter Parker is now Spider-Man?
I think a bit of both in regards to USM.

As for Mighty Avengers its mainly some comic readers complaining about a mostly black avengers 'street' team.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #931
tdeverea
Side-Kick

Quote:
Don't forget we have had War Machine in the last two Iron Man movies - that's nothing to sneeze at either - have you shared those with your child?
Of course I have! The Iron Man films were his introduction into the comic book world. He loves those movies but his attention is on Tony Stark - the star. He wants a Black hero in the forefront and I can tell that he wants it for his own validation. Regardless of what I tell him and the number of Black heroes I name (Icon, Black Lightning, Rhodey, Black Panther, Static Shock, Luke Cage, Mr. Terrific, WHOEVER), I can sense that it's just not enough for him. He's looking to identify with the main hero on film, and as of yet, he hasn't seen it.

I can't let him watch Blade yet but oh god I'm dying to. That'll change his mind QUICK! LOL!

Old 10-30-2013, 01:50 PM   #932
tdeverea
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
I think seeing superheroes that are black are reasonably important to kids. All kids.

It may not offer a realistic goal for anyone to be a superhero but it does suggest blacks are worthy of being mythological idols just like whites and it also suggest society in general believes in black heroes along side white heroes.

That means alot when segments of society still imply blacks are inferior in various ways.
*flips table over*

Yes! exactly!

Old 10-30-2013, 01:54 PM   #933
tdeverea
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox1 View Post
I knew exactly what you meant but Blade was over 10yrs ago and licensed out to another studio who did most of the heavy lifting. Comic Blade and movie Blade are different, vastly different in fact.Beside the obvious they have little in common. War Machine was a supporting character at best. If War machine was a player on the Miami Heat he's Udonis Haslem.
*tears*

Old 10-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #934
OnTheAir
Papa Spank

I started reading comics around 1980, give or take. Prior to that, my exposure to superheroes came from cartoons. As a young Black boy, I was thrilled to see Black Vulcan on the Super Friends! (But even then, I hated when they shortened the legs on his costume...ugh!!!) It just meant a lot to me that a character with my skin tone could be seen working alongside legends like Supes, Bats and WW as a peer.

As I began to get into comics, the first title I gravitated towards was The Avengers...probably because they were an assembly of heroes like I'd seen on Super Friends. I've always liked the concept of a superhero team. I keyed in on one character in particular, though...the Black Panther. THIS guy was cool! The all-black costume...the fighting skills...the acrobatics...and wait, he's Black??? He looks like me??? Not only that, but he's king of an entire nation??? To top it off, he had a hot girlfriend? I was sold...I wanted to be T'Challa when I grew up!

My point is, as a young African-American male, it was encouraging to me whenever I could look at tv/movie/literary heroes that shared my ethnicity. People of all racial backgrounds should be able to do so: Black, Latino, Asian, Native American, Pacific Islander, whatever. The world is a diverse place, and that should be reflected in fictional works.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:44 PM   #935
E-Man
Cooler than your daddy.

It's always an eye catcher to see someone of your own race as a superhero when you're a minority. It's not that we shy away from other heroes because I'm sure most in here have a ton of superheroes they like that are of different ethnicities. Hell I'm a huge Spider-man fan in The Cult of the Hyphen. But there is something about seeing a bad ass that looks like they could be you if you worked out a lot and got super powers. It's a nice escapist fantasy on a small level for me, but even then the character has to be good. I've only liked Luke Cage during Thunderbolts and a few other writers. With Black Panther I love the character even when he was written terribly by Hudlin. Characteristics definitely matter, but seeing a black badass superhero really adds that cherry on top.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #936
the last son
Side-Kick

David Oyelowo? Just saw him in Jack Reacher. Good actor.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #937
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Quote:
Originally Posted by the last son View Post
David Oyelowo? Just saw him in Jack Reacher. Good actor.
I have him as Brother Voodoo in my Black Panther cast.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 11-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #938
E-Man
Cooler than your daddy.

I like the idea of Marvel having some series on Netflix. It gives them a chance to have more diversity in terms of the tone of tv series. With a network you have to walk a certain safe line, but on Netflix you can do more. If they actually decided to make a BP original mini series on Netflix I wouldn't mind. I'd rather they do a movie since it could have a bigger budget, but a mini series would have a lot of potential as well.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #939
Paradox1
Side-Kick

I think BP should be on film first without a doubt. I think he's too big for television like Silver Surfer, Thor, or anyone else who lives in a world that goes beyond the realm of believability.

"Wars are never won, regardless of who might be the victor. The very act of war is itself a horrible defeat." Guardian of the Universe "Battleground: Oa!" Green Lantern, 1st Silver Age series, #127, Denny O'Neil)
Old 11-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #940
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think BP should be on film first without a doubt. I think he's too big for television like Silver Surfer, Thor, or anyone else who lives in a world that goes beyond the realm of believability.
If what you mean is that Black Panther can't be well-executed on a TV budget, sure. BP really needs at least the budget of a good Bond movie, except with more SFX.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #941
the last son
Side-Kick

He needs a movie period. Not the arrow treatment.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #942
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Well, even Green Arrow doesn't need the Arrow treatment

https://www.facebook.com/pages/MYTH-...31161003585134
Old 11-07-2013, 10:22 PM   #943
K'Prime
Beast mode

If Black Panther is made into a T.V show instead of a movie I will be so beyond pissed off lol

Old 11-08-2013, 01:59 AM   #944
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Given a Game of Thrones like treatment, a BP tv show could do big sprawling multigenerational stories. Imagine a BP show that had flashbacks to different eras in Wakanda's history showcasing T'challa's forefathers/mothers? If they could pull that off AND have him appear in Avengers films, I'd call that a win, no?

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:17 AM   #945
Paradox1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
If what you mean is that Black Panther can't be well-executed on a TV budget, sure. BP really needs at least the budget of a good Bond movie, except with more SFX.
I mean tv should be for street level guys like Daredevil, Punisher, Moon Knight among others. BP is on par with any of the three main Avengers in Iron Man, Cap, and Thor. If they can get a movie so should he, he has that much potential as a franchise in my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSP View Post
Well, even Green Arrow doesn't need the Arrow treatment
What you mean by this? I think Arrow is great and I was reading an article calling it the greatest superhero show on tv.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:23 AM   #946
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

^Not everyone thinks ARROW is all it could, or should be friend.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:52 AM   #947
K'Prime
Beast mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
Given a Game of Thrones like treatment, a BP tv show could do big sprawling multigenerational stories. Imagine a BP show that had flashbacks to different eras in Wakanda's history showcasing T'challa's forefathers/mothers? If they could pull that off AND have him appear in Avengers films, I'd call that a win, no?
Movie first,then a conversation about mutigenerational t.v show

Old 11-08-2013, 10:05 AM   #948
Yellow Cyclone
Pessimist

ejiofor or bust. plus he has a whedon/marvel connection already

Old 11-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #949
Paradox1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
^Not everyone thinks ARROW is all it could, or should be friend.
Different strokes for different folks

Old 11-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #950
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
I mean tv should be for street level guys like Daredevil, Punisher, Moon Knight among others. BP is on par with any of the three main Avengers in Iron Man, Cap, and Thor. If they can get a movie so should he, he has that much potential as a franchise in my mind.
And this would be why I specified that I was talking about *budget*. Because it seems you aren't; your talking about respect. Which implies you buy into the long obsolete mode of thinking that television is a lesser medium.

Closed Thread