Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #126
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Default Re: "By The Goddess!": The Official Storm Discussion - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
Yet you chose to shame us all when you now say it was only in response to one user's comment.

Look, I'm not unreasonable, so I apologize if any of our comments seemed out of line to you. But just as you want me to learn to read, please also try give some people the benefit of the doubt when their comments are open to interpretation. We're not all hate-filled.
But I do think the making fun of her looks post from Duran stemmed from the posting of the obviously unflattering image. And you guys even admitted to such so I guess you're in agreement.

Quote:
And cut it out with the snarkiness.
Haha what?

Old 04-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #127
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

I will say this Louise woman dresses a bit like Ellen De Generes. Hairstyle too.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:47 PM   #128
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
But I do think the making fun of her looks post from Duran stemmed from the posting of the obviously unflattering image.
Okay, I want you to give some thought to your comment above:

That photo is an OFFICIAL professional portrait shot of her--I think it was from her website. Now, if her JOB is to create costumes, hairstyles and make-up to make her subjects look amazing on film--and she can't do it for them or even herself--how do you not see that as a cause for concern?

I'm just amazed that you would come down on users who are worried about how this cast is going to be fashioned in DoFP by a woman who has a questionable look herself.

Quote:
And you guys even admitted to such so I guess you're in agreement.
I conceded nothing!

Once you've fallen, just lay there. As you lay, simply think of how stupid you are and how your stupidity got you there.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #129
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
But I do think the making fun of her looks post from Duran stemmed from the posting of the obviously unflattering image. And you guys even admitted to such so I guess you're in agreement.
Again, not all of us. I never said anything about her picture actually. I laughed at LS's dramatics when he was speaking like Storm from the animated series. Maybe that's the part that made you think we were making fun of her looks.

And by you saying it's an "obviously unflattering image"... that does make me feel like you're projecting a bit on us. Just saying.

Quote:
Haha what?
You know... telling people to learn to read, giving us the word of the day. Haha it's the kind of thing that gets us fanboys all riled up.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #130
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
I will say this Louise woman dresses a bit like Ellen De Generes. Hairstyle too.
Even though I am a gay man, I realize that people here may be super-sensitive especially when I touch on certain subjects. So I try harder than I normally do here (compared to my off-line Hype life) to be politically correct. That said, I have no idea what Louise's sexual orientation is. All I know is that she never looks feminine. And I don't think she has an affinity for glamour, make-up, jewelry or other polished elements that make women look sexy. When you can't relate to something in your real life, it may be very hard to do it for others under your management.

And for the sake of political correctness, I will leave it at that.

Once you've fallen, just lay there. As you lay, simply think of how stupid you are and how your stupidity got you there.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #131
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Again, not all of us. I never said anything about her picture actually. I laughed at LS's dramatics when he was speaking like Storm from the animated series. Maybe that's the part that made you think we were making fun of her looks.
"She has not yet felt the power of M.A.C. and Revlon! Stylist, I command you, bring forth lip-stick and blush!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8
You know... telling people to learn to read, giving us the word of the day. Haha it's the kind of thing that gets us fanboys all riled up.
Translation: Patronizing.

Last edited by Lightning Strykez!; 04-13-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #132
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
Even though I am a gay man, I realize that people here may be super-sensitive especially when I touch on certain subjects. So I try harder than I normally do here (compared to my off-line Hype life) to be politically correct. That said, I have no idea what Louise's sexual orientation is. All I know is that she never looks feminine. And I don't think she has an affinity for glamour, make-up, jewelry or other polished elements that make women look sexy. When you can't relate to something in your real life, it may be very hard to do it for others under your management.

And for the sake of political correctness, I will leave it at that.
Well there are straight women who aren't feminine at all, and lesbian/bisexual women who are extremely feminine (like Amber Heard).

But I agree that this woman (whom I've never heard of before today or seen) doesn't look very feminine at all, and maybe her costume design reflects her own tastes or ideals, whether consciously or subconsciously, and maybe she's also trying to make a statement - which is what all artists are really trying to do after all, aren't they?

If she dresses in a certain way, maybe she takes inspiration from particular sources for herself, and that's what subsequently inspires her own designs. It's often been said for writers that every character they're writing is in some way really themselves. Well maybe costume designers are vicariously dressing themselves whenever they're dressing another character, and clothing them in the way in which they would like to be clothed. Just a thought.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #133
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Quote:
I've been sitting here enjoying this whole thing get blown out of proportion, but I'll address this. I was NOT making fun of her looks. I was making a correlation between her look (not looks) and the fashion that we've seen in the X-Men films, as well as those pictures of Kate Bosworth posted in this thread. I haven't commented positively or negatively about her look, however, I will say that it seems plain (for lack of a better word), and it appears to be reflected in the movies she has worked on. That's all. So, chill out, Sparky.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #134
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Well there are straight women who aren't feminine at all, and lesbian/bisexual women who are extremely feminine (like Amber Heard).

But I agree that this woman (whom I've never heard of before today or seen) doesn't look very feminine at all, and maybe her costume design reflects her own tastes or ideals, whether consciously or subconsciously, and maybe she's also trying to make a statement - which is what all artists are really trying to do after all, aren't they?

If she dresses in a certain way, maybe she takes inspiration from particular sources for herself, and that's what subsequently inspires her own designs. It's often been said for writers that every character they're writing is in some way really themselves. Well maybe costume designers are vicariously dressing themselves whenever they're dressing another character, and clothing them in the way in which they would like to be clothed. Just a thought.
And I think you're absolutely right.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #135
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post
I've been sitting here enjoying this whole thing get blown out of proportion, but I'll address this. I was NOT making fun of her looks. I was making a correlation between her look (not looks) and the fashion that we've seen in the X-Men films, as well as those pictures of Kate Bosworth posted in this thread. I haven't commented positively or negatively about her look, however, I will say that it seems plain (for lack of a better word), and it appears to be reflected in the movies she has worked on. That's all. So, chill out, Sparky.
You know what I find funny Duran? That he felt we were genuinely making fun of her looks...when those pictures are actually depicting her at what she considers her personal best. Yet, he thought we were picking on her, which just proves that even he knows she looks pretty...um, interesting.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #136
Double B
Side-Kick

The one thing I disliked about the costumes of the OT, is the overall lack of colour. I mean, the leather suits - I get that. I know it's not popular but I get why they went that direction.

But none of the character's ordinary clothes ever really popped. There's some nice pieces, admittedly. I loved this Rogue costume:

And I loved Jean's coat with the blue phoenix design but that was about it.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #137
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Knowing Louise, she'll put Halle in tarpaulin from one of the delivery trucks. lol

But it's likely Halle will be in a prison jumpsuit if they are shown in captivity, and then she'll have to return (after she's given birth) to film scenes they might use for the end of the movie where the fixed timeline is in place. Then Halle can wear something like the comic book Storm outfit that has the top and pants connected by a metal ring.
Yeah I wonder why they didn't the costume designer. Like if Bryan Singer really wanted a new approach to the X-costumes, he should have brought someone else.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 04-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #138
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
I'm really worried she's going to take this as an opportunity to drape Halle in awfully printed mumu and caftan style dresses.
I wouldn't be upset if Louise put her in caftans...

Storm has NEVER looked regal in these films and this would do the trick. Unfortunately, this concept is too sophisticated and cultured for anything Louise would do. It's simply not Plain Jane enough. I think we're in for something really ugly and even more unflattering than normal.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:47 PM   #139
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Hmm I don't think I wanna see that on Halle.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 04-13-2013, 08:51 PM   #140
Lightning Strykez!

I think for a casual scene it'd be okay. But not for the entire film of course.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #141
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
I think for a casual scene it'd be okay. But not for the entire film of course.
Definitely not, or it won't even look like a costume but just some African clothing they found in a thrift store because of their lack of budget (or so the impression would be given).

Old 04-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #142
Lightning Strykez!

Ok. But I have a feeling we're all gonna be wishing for Caftans once we see what Louise Mingenbach actually comes up with for Halle and Storm.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:52 PM   #143
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Ok. But I have a feeling we're all gonna be wishing for Caftans once we see what Louise Mingenbach actually comes up with for Halle and Storm.
Depends what's in the story. If it begins in some dystopian future with the X-Men in prison camps, there won't be much call for glamorous gowns.

But if it starts like Uncanny X-Men 98, we could get some hot frocks. That comic was the first time the new team (Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Banshee, Wolverine, Cyclops, Jean) encountered the Sentinels, while on a night out in New York on Christmas Eve. They were all glammed up in their gowns and suits. Storm created a hurricane over the Rockefeller Center, if I recall correctly. This would be one good way to start the movie.

Last edited by X-Maniac; 04-13-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #144
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Depends what's in the story. If it begins in some dystopian future with the X-Men in prison camps, there won't be much call for glamorous gowns.

But if it starts like Uncanny X-Men 98, we could get some hot frocks. That comic was the first time the new team (Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Banshee, Wolverine, Cyclops, Jean) encountered the Sentinels, while on a night out in New York on Christmas Eve. They were all glammed up in their gowns and suits. Storm created a hurricane over the Rockefeller Center, I recall correctly. This would be one good way to start the movie
Yes, that would be fab and totally appropriate. I don't think we've seen Storm wearing a gown in these films at all, unless you count the nightgown scene in X1 when Logan stabbed Rogue by accident.

I'd envision Storm wearing a caftan while in her private quarters, creating a micro-storm to water her plants, etc. Little nuances like that show us so much about the character's depth, and have been grossly ignored in this franchise thus far.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:18 PM   #145
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Or they could end up in Superman Returns-style clothing at this night out at the Rockefeller.

They'll be in clothing that doesn't fit. Rogue will have a dress where she has to stuff tissues into her bra cups (but Storm won't have that problem because of her pregnancy boobs).

Old 04-13-2013, 10:26 PM   #146
Lightning Strykez!

Old 04-13-2013, 10:45 PM   #147
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yes, that would be fab and totally appropriate. I don't think we've seen Storm wearing a gown in these films at all, unless you count the nightgown scene in X1 when Logan stabbed Rogue by accident.

I'd envision Storm wearing a caftan while in her private quarters, creating a micro-storm to water her plants, etc. Little nuances like that show us so much about the character's depth, and have been grossly ignored in this franchise thus far.
OMG don't get me started on that virginal, "Little White Riding Hood" thing Rogue was wearing in that scene. What 17-year-old has ever worn that as pj's? Was she going to be baptized the next morning? Mingenbach couldn't even get pj's right!

And a stylish caftan would be ok for a scene or two where Storm is in her evening lounge wear.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:50 PM   #148
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Haha I love how the person defending the woman is the one getting ganged up on.

Anyways, so filming starts on Monday? Yay!

Old 04-13-2013, 11:03 PM   #149
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:

It just shows who is the one that's actually being insulting to others.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:10 PM   #150
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:

No one is "ganging up on you." Now is hardly the time to play victim; you started this thing. LOL

Closed Thread