Default Re: Game of Thrones - HBO part 2 - Part 7

Double post.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:02 PM   #52
Spider-Who?
ERMERGERD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
I think it would be a waste of time to extend the escape like that but who knows.
I doubt they'll extend it too long. At the pace they're running through the story this season*, I wouldn't be surprised if the reveal is in the next episode.

*its been a while since I've read this season's book, but is it just me, or are they mixing up the chronology of the book a lot? They cut out a HUGE chunk of Kat's tale (she spends time in Riverrun and else where before her fathers death), and I seem to recall Dany not meeting the Unsullied until near the end of the book, among other differences. The first two seasons stuck considerably closer to the books (close enough in fact that I was able to read the corresponding books in tandem with the episodes without feeling lost or out of sync). I'm not complaining, as its quite an undertaking to translate these books to TV and the results are stellar...it just seems this season is a lot more chopped up.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:08 PM   #53
Anubis
Sup?

Ah, for once I don't have to suffer from the burden of having read the source material....which means I gots nothin' to complain about.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:34 PM   #54
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Who? View Post
I doubt they'll extend it too long. At the pace they're running through the story this season*, I wouldn't be surprised if the reveal is in the next episode.

*its been a while since I've read this season's book, but is it just me, or are they mixing up the chronology of the book a lot? They cut out a HUGE chunk of Kat's tale (she spends time in Riverrun and else where before her fathers death), and I seem to recall Dany not meeting the Unsullied until near the end of the book, among other differences. The first two seasons stuck considerably closer to the books (close enough in fact that I was able to read the corresponding books in tandem with the episodes without feeling lost or out of sync). I'm not complaining, as its quite an undertaking to translate these books to TV and the results are stellar...it just seems this season is a lot more chopped up.
Benioff and Weiss have said that going forward each season will be an adaption of the entirety of A Song of Ice and Fire rather than a season being an adaption of a specific book in the series. So season 3 and 4 will have stuff from book 3, 4, and 5. Basically they are creating an 80-90 hour adaption of A Song of Ice and Fire instead of a one season adaption of each book.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:37 PM   #55
georgec
Not a hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Ah, for once I don't have to suffer from the burden of having read the source material....which means I gots nothin' to complain about.
High five! I meant to read ASOS before this season but didn't have the time. I'll read it later this year.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:46 PM   #56
Drizzle
Band User

Quote:
They cut out a HUGE chunk of Kat's tale (she spends time in Riverrun and else where before her fathers death)
Who has time for that anyway? There are more important things to focus on like Pod's adventures at the brothel.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:47 PM   #57
Jordacar
The Endless One

Damn, Jaime. I knew it was coming, but I didn't think it would be this soon. But as soon as Vargo pulled out the cleaver, I was like, "aw damn, this is it."

If you're looking for justice, you've come to the wrong place.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:51 PM   #58
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
I dunno....

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Theon's torture is a pivotal part of his arc. Since they can't exactly not show him for several seasons and suddenly explain his absence for so long, I think they are just stretching out the "escape". Correct me if I'm wrong, but they haven't explicitly said which one of those men is Bolton's bastard. It's very likely that is Theon's new "friend", who is simply playing with him at this point.
I agree with this. I feel like they basically told us it was Bolton's bastard at the end of this episode. The man the "friend" shot in the looked at him and said "You little bastard." A perfect way to keep it ambiguous for non-readers, and a nice little wink to those of us who have read the books.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Old 04-14-2013, 11:52 PM   #59
Marvolo
Side-Kick

The second Jaime started trying to sweet talk Vargo I knew that was it.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:52 PM   #60
Drizzle
Band User

Old 04-14-2013, 11:58 PM   #61
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
I agree with this. I feel like they basically told us it was Bolton's bastard at the end of this episode. The man the "friend" shot in the looked at him and said "You little bastard." A perfect way to keep it ambiguous for non-readers, and a nice little wink to those of us who have read the books.
It also makes sense, because Bolton's bastard is the type to kill his own men to keep a ruse going.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:02 AM   #62
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
It also makes sense, because Bolton's bastard is the type to kill his own men to keep a ruse going.
Exactly. The thing I'm wondering about this whole Theon arc is how long they'll keep it going. I mean,
we know in the books he doesn't really come back into play until the 5th when he reappears as Reek correct? Or was it late 4th....I read them all back to back so I get it mixed up. Still, the point being, he's basically being tortured non-stop for all of book 3 and a good portion of book 4. Eventually that's going to get old. I'm wondering if they're going to drag out his torture for this season, and then make it look like he "dies" (just to pull one over on the viewers) and then bring him back in season 5 as Reek. That way Theon wouldn't have been absent from the show for so long. One season being gone isn't that bad in terms o general audience memory.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Old 04-15-2013, 12:02 AM   #63
Spider-Who?
ERMERGERD!

Quote:
Benioff and Weiss have said that going forward each season will be an adaption of the entirety of A Song of Ice and Fire rather than a season being an adaption of a specific book in the series. So season 3 and 4 will have stuff from book 3, 4, and 5. Basically they are creating an 80-90 hour adaption of A Song of Ice and Fire instead of a one season adaption of each book.
Good to know.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:11 AM   #64
HankTheTurtle
Side-Kick

Quote:
Not really. What happened to Theon during his absence is told in ADWD. In the book it is told He was sold to Bolton. At the beginning of his imprisonment Bolton allowed him to escape as a game and sent his dogs and men after him and brought him back to the dungeons and cut bits and pieces off of him until ADWD.
It would seem they are entirely ditching that and going another path.
Quote:
I think it would be a waste of time to extend the escape like that but who knows.
I think it's a good way to show how messed up Ramsay is. In the books, since you're inside Theon's head, it's easy to tell he's been mind f'd. It seems instead of showing it through Theon's actions and acting, they're putting the audience in his shoes. When Theon's "friend" turns on him, viewers will be just as shocked as Theon is. I mean, this guy just killed a bunch of his own men (men he had probably specifically ordered to rape Theon) just to sell his ruse. Also, I loved the, "You bastard." line. Hint hint.

Quote:

They did cut out a bit with Cat's father. It makes sense to me, though, as it's really unnecessary to introduce a completely new character when he's just going to die a few scenes later. A lot of his purpose in the books seemed to be to give some background on Cat, Lysa, Littlefinger, other Tullys, etc. And most of that is done through Cat's internal thoughts and dialogue, which would be tough to watch if they tried to translate it all into expositional dialogue.

I could be wrong, but wasn't part of the situation in the book that Cat was allowed to be with her dying father, but was really a prisoner there? A lot of the plot points that took place during her time with her father have already happened anyway.

As far as the Unsullied storyline goes, I think they were within the first third of the book, but it was definitely dragged out more than they're doing on the show.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:29 AM   #65
Marvolo
Side-Kick

I'm glad they cut the stuff between Cat and her father. Cat's story to her Uncle about how she would watch for her father to return and his words to her told me everything I needed to know about their relationship. Its also nice that we didn't have to meet another character to only lose them a short time later.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:48 AM   #66
chaseter
Bland User

Great ep. Poor Jaime. I just know Dany is going to sick her dragon onto that douche and just take all the soldiers for herself. Next ep looks great.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:56 AM   #67
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

I actually thought this was one of the worst episodes of the entire series, by their standards. There were too many small parts with characters where little to nothing happened (Jon, Sam, Robb's wife, Mel and Stannis). The scene with the small council could have done without the chair bit and the part with Pod was kind of funny but also unnecessary. But these parts distracted from how good everything else was (Robb in Riverrun, Dany in Astapor, Jaime and Brienne). This is one of those episodes I don't think i could watch on it's own, it has to be with others. I'm starting to feel the show either needs to reduce focus to 3, maybe 4, characters per episode or be watched several at once instead of one at a time.

Absolutely hated the cover of Bear and the Maiden Fair they played at the end credits.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:07 AM   #68
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Interesting...this was one of my favorite episodes of the entire series. Best of the season so far. A vast improvement over last week.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:11 AM   #69
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Well you've got to hand it to Jaime...He sure knows how to lend a helping hand to Brienne at the right moment.

Yeah, that was awesome.

--John Adams

Last edited by DACrowe; 04-15-2013 at 01:17 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:11 AM   #70
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Well you've got to hand it to Jaime...He sure knows hows to lend a helping hand to Brienne at the right moment.

Yeah, that was awesome.

--John Adams
Old 04-15-2013, 01:22 AM   #71
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah, the music was a total wtf moment, and killed any emotion brought about by the last scene. Very poor music choice, I felt. The last scene itself was pretty tense, I expected them to cut (heh) away from it and just have a "thunk" and scream. Was not expecting them to show it, much less be so graphic. The hand twitch when it happened was a nice touch.
Oh that was hilarious. It is kind of funny because Jaime is so proud of his swordsmanship that it happened. Tragic, but funny like the man. Also, there is some universal irony at play considering that is the hand that arguably started this war when he pushed Bran Stark out a window. Yes, it was savage and unfair, but a little bit of black humor is just what this dour show needs at times.

Also, it was Vargo in the books. In the show, they work for Roose Bolton as they carried his sigil last week. I think they are just generic henchmen in the show. At least, I think.

--John Adams
Old 04-15-2013, 02:15 AM   #72
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

The moral of the story is don't neglect your non-dominant hand.

Would have been funny if Jaime was actually a southpaw, and they cut off the wrong hand.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:17 AM   #73
Randal Graves
Side-Kick

Quote:
Interesting...this was one of my favorite episodes of the entire series. Best of the season so far. A vast improvement over last week.
Agreed, and I liked last weeks.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:37 AM   #74
Siby
Side-Kick

After this point I started to like Jaime in the books.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:39 AM   #75
Havok83
Side-Kick

Hold up, its been a whole year since the end of season 1? I didn't realize time went by so fast. I thought it was only a few months. So Catherine hasn't seen any of her kids besides Robb in a year? Damn. They've been saying Winter is Coming for well over a year and it still hasn't come? lol

Whatever happened to Stannis and Melisandre's "child"? That thing killed Renly and then disappeared. I never quite understood that thing

Wow, cant believe Dani just gave away one of her dragons. Guess her "children" aren't as important to her as she was freaking out about last season

Even though he deserves to die, I was rooting for Theon to escape

Wow that ending was shocking. Was not expecting to see that

Closed Thread