Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #326
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Default Re: Official Iron Man 3 rate/review thread.

Remember when Transformers 3 was supposed to be the last movie with Bay at the helm? Good times, good times.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #327
MahvelBaby!
Side-Kick

94%! The Australia review though was epically harsh on the movie ouch o_o

Last edited by MahvelBaby!; 04-24-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #328
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahvelBaby! View Post
94%! The Australia review though was epically harsh on the movie ouch o_o
Yeah, I think that guy is CBM's own "FuturePast." He's all about how The Mandarin Twist is an insult to fans. He's the *only* reviewer who *****es about that.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 04-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #329
shuffleboard
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
No, but the fact that Gwyn Paltrow said day before yesterday that Marvel is already in talks with RDJ for TA2 and IM4 would be an indicator.
By any chance, do you have a link to this?

Old 04-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #330
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuffleboard View Post
By any chance, do you have a link to this?
http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/int...ld-be-fun.html

Quote:
Asked if she's been approached by Marvel to return for The Avengers 2 and more Iron Man movies, Paltrow replied: "They haven't [asked] yet. They're trying to make a deal with Robert right now. Robert likes me around so I'm sure I'll pop up here, there or somewhere."

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 04-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #331
Mr.M
Side-Kick

So IM retires but is coming back for A2 or IM4???

I don't see it. Unless the ending isn't quite what I think it is, which probably isn't the case. I guess he could still suit up. I think they have to find the next guy in line to take up the mantle, like another character. The John Blake of sorts. I don't think Rhodey fits the bill, because he's too old as it is.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #332
Victarion
The Iron Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
This is all my personal opinion of course, I guess I'm old fashioned in that I believe each film should be made with as little strings as possible to future and past films and that their worlds should be unique and not dependant. It's movies not a tv show or a miniseries. Although one could counter that making this effectively the highest budget serial or miniseries is somewhat groundbreaking and the best representation of the monthly comic book medium there is. It's a matter of preference and perspective I think.
I agree with you as few strings as possible; I'm glad to hear its Tony going at it alone. I'm looking forward to the twist. To those who saw it: Do you believe Feige's statement about seeing the movie twice for it (The twist, I guess?) to sink-in was accurate?

Old 04-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #333
Victarion
The Iron Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Do the words "John Carter" mean anything to you?

Disney deliberately misadvertised JC so that it would fail. Boardroom politics and all that.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #334
antonydelfini
Captain's Orders

Man, what the hell did I just watch?

That has got to be the weirdest, strangest, quirkiest, and goofiest superhero movie ever made until the Deadpool film gets made. And that's a compliment.

PROS:
-Tony Stark: it's his best portrayal ever. Iconic.
-Rhodes: In part 2 I actually missed Howard, but in here Cheadle owns the role and it fits him like a glove.
-The sidekick: adorable and funny as hell.
-The action: blew my mind, 2nd best action scenes in a superhero movie next to the Avengers
-the Villains: Kingsley, Pearce, and the extremis soldiers all nailed it.
-Happy: the same as the sidekick
-the director/writer: Shane is bold, brave, innovative, odd, quirky, and spontaneous. Perfect for the character. I can't believe how much he was able to put his personal touch on a movie like this.

CONS (this is just nitpicking)
-should have had more Tony in the suit scenes
-some of the CGI are off
-Pepper: has some great scenes and some annoying ones as well

Personally, I think this is my favorite superhero movie ever. I can imagine myself re-watching this again and again (can't wait for the blu-ray so I'd have subtitles and be able to appreciate ever line of dialogue). I won't say this is the most well-made of all the superhero movies, but this is just too charming and loveable.

A big 9/10 for me.

My new top 10 favorite superhero movies (this ranking changes alot):

IRON MAN 3
THE AVENGERS
THE DARK KNIGHT
X-MEN: FIRST CLASS
IRON MAN
SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE
HELLBOY II: THE GOLDEN ARMY
BLADE
THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN
WATCHMEN

Old 04-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #335
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post
Disney deliberately misadvertised JC so that it would fail. Boardroom politics and all that.
Why would they want JC to fail? That's bad for them.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #336
Hammer!
Side-Kick

jmc, I have valued your opinions highly ever since your initial review of TDKR which 100% coincided with my own. Would you say IM3 is a superior film to TDKR, and where would you rank it among the rest of the MCU?

Old 04-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #337
shogunrua
Side-Kick

Ok just got home from my viewing of Iron Man 3. Full on spoilers ahead guys so here we go.

We start the movie with a flashback to 1999 in a conference/party where Tony met Ho Yinsen, Maya Hansen and limping geek Aldrich Killian, who asks Tony Stark to join AIM, only for Tony to turn him down "Stark Style".

Flash forward to today. Tony, suffering from PTSD after the Avengers events, has been working non stop, building new stuff and flipping out, taking refuge in his armor every time he has a panic attack and/or someone mentions New York. For me this aspect of the movie was the strongest of them all. In the Avengers, Black Widow adressed the fact that she was, as was Hawkeye, out of their league in the battle of New York, while Iron Man seemed to do just fine. But it makes sense for Tony, who basically is the only "normal" guy out of the rest, with a demi-god, an enhanced soldier who is used to being on the battlefield, and a dude who basically when stressed turns into an invincible powerhouse, to be deeply affected by all the mayhem, and Robert Downey Jr just sells it so well that you deeply care, and root for Tony Stark, a lot more than you root for him in Iron Man 1, in my opinion And it was nice to see
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Tony rely on his brains and wits and not his armor to dispatch some extremis soldiers when his armor is out of order
basically it was the best aspect of the movie for me.

In this context, emerges the threat of Mandarin and Aldrich Killian. The first one, presented as a figure of the shadows, that deeply hates America and wants his destruction. The other, embracing the old cliche of the one-time geek becoming an handsome man, selling his technology to the Mandarin. Guy Pearce plays the villain nicely, it has a "James Bond" vibe to it that is kinda cool and refreshing from the other villains in the franchise. Now I can't talk about The Mandarin without talking about...
THE TWIST...THE...EFFIN...TWIST...so yeah...basically Ben Kingsley's Mandarin doesn't exist...I would go as far as to say that the Mandarin doesn't exist PERIOD. You start the movie with a strong characterisation of the Mandarin that works, he's intimidating, he gives this big inspired (notice I didn't use the word inspiring) speeches on TV...he really is a menacing presence. And you end up discovering that he's just a smokescreen, a mask for Aldrich Killian criminal activities, that when he's not in character, is a f***ing drunkyard surrounded by hookers...

I've read people online saying you have to take the context in count to embrace the twist...nope...nope..doesn't work either in context...not giving him his techno rings...Ok I get it, it would have been difficult to pull them off...not going all Fu Manchu...Ok I get it, sideline that one with having him use chinese iconography as a symbol, great Idea to stay true to the comic character without going Fu Manchu. Making him a mere actor with no substance, no...just no. You know what that reminded me of ? Of that Joe Pesci character in Lethal Weapon 2, you know the one they make you feel is very important, but ends up being the comic relief/annoying character ? It just reminded me of that.

It was a disservice for Ben Kingsley's talent, it was a disservice for Mandarin's fans, and I don't think it was completely necessary. But if it makes you feel better, Ben Kingsley is awesome as the Mandarin and as the drunkyard lol. And if I got it right, which I hope I didn't because it would be kind of stupid, Aldrich Killian's goal with building the Ten Rings and stuff was just a commercial one ? to control "the supply and the demand" as he put it in the movie ? Damn that was lame. And trying to connect it to the time that Tony told him "F U with Aim" ? Even more lame.

Now the other characters. Rhodey/War Machine/Iron Patriot. I think he was a much better character than in Iron Man 2, they had a greater dynamic, a real buddy cop vibe going that was really great. This is the definitive Rhodey for me.

I only had two problems with Iron Patriot. First one, I thought it was kinda disturbing for Rhodey to just
leave the final battle after he secured his armor. Ok I know it was to take the President to safety but him not coming back to give Tony a hand was a little distractive to me.
the second one is not really a problem, but it could become one if not adressed in a future Iron Man movie.
it's basically the second time that Rhodey's armor gets ****ed up/controled by the villains. I think War Machine or Iron Patriot or whatever the name, should exist but under Tony's expertise and banner, because it makes Rhodey's armor like the most vulnerable of the two, and not the utter badass superpowered armor it should be.
Pepper Potts has a really interesting character development. She has a real proactive and badass part with the suiting up and the
killing Aldrich Killian with her Extremis powers and Iron Man's glove
she was a badass, yet you feel for her struggle with her relationship. It was a really good point for the movie.

The action scenes were spectacular. The attack on the mention, pure awesomness. The rescue of Air Force One, pure awesome. The final action scene on the cargos ? Pure awesomeness square pure awesomeness. My single problem with all of it was the multiple armors.
They work on the context of Tony' Arc, but I think they could have been used a lot better, with some exception, because they basically just a way for Tony to throw one or two punches before being dispached by an extremis warrior before moving to the next armor and starting the cycle again.
One other thing that bothered me with how the whole armor thing was handled. What I liked with the Iron Man movies and the Avengers movie, was that every armor was special, but here with 42 Iron Man armors, Pepper wearing the armor
3 different persons wearing the Iron Patriot armor
it just takes a little bit of what makes Iron Man so special.

Choosing Shane Black as the director was an inspiring choice, because he injects a lot of humor in this movie, and Iron Man feels pretty much like a Shane Black movie, with the dynamic between the characters and the banter and all of that stuff. He handles the action scenes really nicely. They are more dynamic and at the same time less chaotic then in the other movies in the series (I don't know if I make much sense lol). I don't know why but I can't shake the feeling that the ending felt pretty much like a closure for Iron Man or Robert Downey Jr. when
Tony Stark tossed his chest arc reactor in the sea. Little nitpicking: if he could just have the Schrapnel fragments surgically removed in the first place, why did he have to go with all the Palladium poisonning in Iron Man 2 ?

The story was great too (out of the twist and Aldrich's motives), really tight and focused. It used what happened in the other movies, made nods to them without it interfering with the story that kept focused on Tony, basically what Iron Man 2 should have been.

In the end, it was a really good movie, not quite on par with the first Iron Man, but not that much far behind. Still an deep improvment from Iron Man 2 and a great start for phase three

P.S: I didn't have the patience to stay for the post credit scene as it felt kind of boring for what I've read online, it didn't have any mid credit scene though.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #338
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?

I will answer specific questions if wanted. But oh man, while certainly a 9/10 for me, it left a very VERY weird taste in my mouth

I kinda adore how they went balls out with the Mandarin, but I agree with the IGN review here, it might not be in everyone's taste. In fact I can't wait to hear what the die-hard Iron Man comicbook fans have to say about this, I'm expecting mostly a love/hate scenario

the third act is a love letter to fans though

Old 04-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #339
Carlo Comicus
Side-Kick

I saw the movie today in Italy. Awesome, with a great plot and great cast (Guy Pearce is spectacular). Satisfied.

http://www.shockdom.com/webcomics/frankcarter/
Old 04-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #340
Lightsplasher
Side-Kick

I just came home . Shogunrua resumed perfectly the movie . This movie is mind-blowing !!! Shane Black is just awesome , Robert Downey Jr is awesome and Guy Pearce is just ASTONISHING !!
So let's start , first the real COMICS BOOKS FANS like me will of course be dissapointed about the Mandarin which is , like told before , is an WARNING SPOILERS !!!
actor hired by AIM (by Killian) , that's the twist : The Mandarin (Sir Ben Kingsley) is an actor hired by Killian !!!
BUT the way Shane Black made this movie , the way they portrayed the Extremis-powered-terrorists , the way they portrayed and gave so much important to Killian from what Ellis wrote is just AMAZING ! Shane Black and Drew Pearce just did an awesome script and you can feel that they just did everything they could to make this movie this awesome !! There's a lot of comedy , lot of hilarious joke and it fills the gap when there's no action scene . About the movie in itself , everything happens very fast , the movie is starting very fast and wants to make everything clear , everything that Shane Black said about the whole "Tony will be in a new cave" and others things like that is TOTALY TRUE !

Don Cheadle , unlike the second one , gets a lot more action as Rhodey , he spend a very little time in the Iron Patriot Armor
he's in the Iron Patriot armor at the beginning and the middle about 7-8 minutes and finally at the end , flying away with the President in the Iron Patriot Armor
(we don't get to see him in the War Machine armor I know I'm sad too) BUT he has a lot of action without the armor . Don Cheadle is an awesome actor IMO .

Gwyneth Paltrow has a bigger role than in the first and the second one as Pepper ,
she's in the armor like 2-3 times , but you'll understand something : Tony said he wanted to protect the one thing that he CAN'T live without but she'll be the one to save his ass

Guy Pearce , is just , ONE of THE BEST VILAINS I've ever seen ! Aldrich Killian is much more important than in the comic book ! Can't describe by words how great he is !

This movie , the third one of the IRON MAN franchise , as a COMIC BOOK FAN , I can say that THIS movie is truly an AMAZING-AWESOME-ASTONISHING-MIND BLOWING - HILARIOUS movie . The special effects are great , and the final battle with
all the armors
is truly great . The end , is excellent and the reason why Tony
destroys all his armors is also because he did that during his post-traumatic-thing
and to forget that . Also , yes the twist is a bit dissapointing which I remind you
is that we discover that Sir Ben Kingsley's role is to be an actor hired by Killian to portray the Mandarin . But yes , Killian is the true Vilain
BUT I think Marvel will maybe use the real Mandarin later .
Pepper is healed , Tony removes his arc reactor and from what we see in the post-credits scene , Tony seems to be in New York , now that he's no longer in Malibu .
Like every movie , IM3 has an awesome generic with the best moments of the franchise with an awesome music .

So , to conclude , this movie is truly awesome , I hope that Robert Downey Jr , Don Cheadle , Gwyneth Paltrow and Shane Black will be back for IM4 !
Marvel is launching phase TWO with IM3 and they had a great idea doing so , I bet that IRON MAN 3 will beat MOS at the box-office of course (I'm not starting a flame war by the way) don't try to compare IM3 and MOS , IM3 is the ending of a franchise , MOS the beginning of another one . Awaiting Thor : TDW so much !!

10/10

PS : For those who doesn't like the twist , focus on the good things and forget the rest .

Last edited by Lightsplasher; 04-24-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #341
Galactus123
Side-Kick

Saw it today here in Finland. It was great! This was a lot better than Iron Man 2. I think Shane Black was right director for this and he did amazing job. I really hope Robert Downey Jr. does Avengers 2 and Iron Man 4.

3.5/5

Old 04-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #342
shuffleboard
Side-Kick

Rave review from HitFix.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #343
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer! View Post
jmc, I have valued your opinions highly ever since your initial review of TDKR which 100% coincided with my own. Would you say IM3 is a superior film to TDKR, and where would you rank it among the rest of the MCU?
In terms of comparing to TDKR it's not nearly as overloaded with story so it's kinda hard to compare with Rises, IM3 is almost a one man show whilst Rises is much more an ensemble piece. Is it superior? In some ways I think it is, it's a tighter script and the character arc is more refined. I'll put it this way, I left Rises frustrated, I left IM3 feeling satisfied. But I will have to see it again just to make sure it holds up on second viewing. In terms of the MCU the story is definitely the best they've done, honestly not even IM1 was as engaging I feel. I'm reluctant to say it's better than Avengers because frankly they're almost two different types of movies.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #344
Mr. Dent

Rave review from IGN. 9/10

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/...man-3-review-2

But they gave Iron Man 2 an 8 so who knows.

2016 - Captain America 3 | Batman vs. Superman | X-Men: Apocalypse | The Amazing Spider-Man 3 | Doctor Strange
TV - Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Agent Carter | Daredevil | Luke Cage | Iron Fist | Jessica Jones | The Defenders
TV - Arrow | The Flash | Gotham | Constantine | iZOMBIE
Old 04-24-2013, 06:18 PM   #345
Ibn
Side-Kick

Doh Re: Official Iron Man 3 rate/review thread.

Hey folks. So I was going looking for some SPOILER FREE and came across one on youtube where a guy might not have been so spoiler free. I couldn't tell if he was just being an *******, or he was dense beyond belief. I was hoping someone could clarify for me (even though a couple of posts ago, somebody pretty much gave it away with a slip of the tongue).
Mr. Lightsplasher, you actually put something (I think) pretty spoilerific at the bottom of your last post.

Anyway folks, is it true that

The Mandarin is an imposter?

"I know what you want. You want to be Batman!"
Old 04-24-2013, 06:18 PM   #346
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus123 View Post
Saw it today here in Finland. It was great! This was a lot better than Iron Man 2. I think Shane Black was right director for this and he did amazing job. I really hope Robert Downey Jr. does Avengers 2 and Iron Man 4.

3.5/5
jaahas, toinen suomalainen jannu

ehdoton 9/10 mun tapauksessa

Old 04-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #347
shogunrua
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibn View Post
Hey folks. So I was going looking for some SPOILER FREE and came across one on youtube where a guy might not have been so spoiler free. I couldn't tell if he was just being an *******, or he was dense beyond belief. I was hoping someone could clarify for me (even though a couple of posts ago, somebody pretty much gave it away with a slip of the tongue).
Mr. Lightsplasher, you actually put something (I think) pretty spoilerific at the bottom of your last post.

Anyway folks, is it true that

The Mandarin is an imposter?

yes

Old 04-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #348
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.

Hey guys - I won't give any spoilers (unless you want any)... I saw the film last night with my wife. Up to a certain point in the movie I was going... okay... waiting for it to get better... trying to give it a chance... and then something happens and it was like a switch went off in my brain. I just immediately went "okay, nah..." And I hated that... I really wanted to love the movie... I wanted them to make this film better than part 2 (which I totally believe is superior to this new film now). I was definitely disappointed and find myself even moreso today. Honestly I'd give it a 6 out of 10. Arguably the weakest of the series.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #349
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantium Man View Post
Because they amuse me so, and because they're a good indication of the tumblrsphere's reaction to this film, here are a few random tumblr posts (under a cut, because there may be spoilers in all this incoherence, and also some swear words):

... You get the gist, lol.

That's my Tumblr! Fangirl Central has embraced the Perils of Tony like I knew they would. I mentioned on the News & Spec thread a while back that Downey's portrayal of Tony Stark struck a chord with women partly because he's a brash bad boy and partly because he imbues the character with so much vulnerability. Scenes of Tony in anguish were virtually assured to evoke strong reactions from female viewers. The reaction to IM3 on Tumblr is a testament to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
I'm not quite sure what's the love for the post credit scene to be honest.
Tony's friendship with Bruce was a highlight of The Avengers for a large number of fans. They have been dubbed the "Science Bros" on Tumblr and fans have clamored for Bruce to appear in IM3. Feige has been asked about what Tony & Bruce did after riding off into the sunset together; his response was that Tony dropped Bruce at the Port Authority bus station and they went their separate ways. The end credits scene is just a funny way to acknowledge the friendship and give fans something to buzz about.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #350
darkslayer101
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWallCrawler View Post
I will answer specific questions if wanted. But oh man, while certainly a 9/10 for me, it left a very VERY weird taste in my mouth

I kinda adore how they went balls out with the Mandarin, but I agree with the IGN review here, it might not be in everyone's taste. In fact I can't wait to hear what the die-hard Iron Man comicbook fans have to say about this, I'm expecting mostly a love/hate scenario

the third act is a love letter to fans though
quick question
with less spoiler as possible, does Tony ever take extremis?

Last edited by darkslayer101; 04-24-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Closed Thread