Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #351
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.

Default Re: Official Iron Man 3 rate/review thread.

^no, Tony
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
doesn't take Extremis.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #352
Ibn
Side-Kick

Th Mad Re: Official Iron Man 3 rate/review thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogunrua View Post
yes
Dammit...Thank you my friend.

The worst part about it is that I was actually hoping that would be the case. That somehow
Ben Kingsley would yurn out NOT to be the Mandarin. But that was just a fn pipe dream!

I would have loved to find that out in theaters.

"I know what you want. You want to be Batman!"
Old 04-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #353
MahvelBaby!
Side-Kick

95%

Old 04-24-2013, 09:50 PM   #354
PokeJ
Side-Kick

Hey guys, I got a chance to see Iron Man 3 this afternoon. I absolutely loved it!!! It isn't on par for me with The Avengers, but it is my 2nd favorite Marvel Cinematic Universe movie after it. This movie was action packed and had several action scenes which I'd put on par with The Avengers. It wasn't as large scale as The Avengers, but there were no shortage of great action set-pieces. The cast did a great job. I felt like this was Robert Downey Jrs. best performance in the role as Tony Stark. He's always been picture-perfect as Stark, but I felt he was at his best here. We see a different side of him when he is at his lowest low. You only got to see part of that in the first Iron Man.

The rest of the cast was great as well. Don Cheadle and Robert Downey Jr did a great job bouncing off each other. It reminded me of some of the banter between Riggs and Murtaugh in Lethal Weapon. Another one of my favorite action movies. Sir Ben Kinglsey OWNED the role of The Mandarin. You can tell he had a lot of fun with this role, he was both sinister and menacing. The rest of the cast was great as well. Paltrow, Pearce, and et al all did admirable jobs in their roles.

I enjoyed the musical score done by Brian Tyler. The scores for the first two Iron Man movies were instantly forgettable. We finally got a scored which elevated the movie. It's got a very Retro 1960's feel to it.

Overall, I enjoyed this movie. It's a great action movie and makes me look forward to Marvel Phase 2. I'd rate it 2nd as my favorite MCU film behind The Avengers.

9.5/10.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:58 PM   #355
Dizagaox
Side-Kick

I enjoyed it. It's nothing particularly blow-your-socks-off-amazing but it's well made. 8/10

I don't really see the point in any more Iron Man movies. They've told the story. The Avengers 2 of course should have Tony in it, but it's hard to see them doing anything else, unless The Avengers 2 ends lending itself to a radically different Tony story.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:10 PM   #356
Raiden
RIP Robin Williams

Picture from tonight's premiere in Los Angeles:

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Old 04-24-2013, 10:11 PM   #357
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

see guys? SEE? Iron Man 3 is a bloody good movie. Don't let the haters and spoiler trolls prevent you from judging it for yourself.

I commend all of you guys who have given a fair critique and haven't turned into whiny fanboys cursing certain changes.

www.redlettermedia.com
Old 04-24-2013, 10:24 PM   #358
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulsor Blast View Post
see guys? SEE? Iron Man 3 is a bloody good movie. Don't let the haters and spoiler trolls prevent you from judging it for yourself.

I commend all of you guys who have given a fair critique and haven't turned into whiny fanboys cursing certain changes.
The critical response has been overwhelmingly positive. Box office is on track for some record-breaking returns.

Haters gonna hate. But they're just pandering to the angry Sheldon nerd stereotypes, and making themselves look silly while everyone else is having a good time.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 04-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #359
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.

^That's not necessarily true. I sat down with my wife fully intending to enjoy the film... and I did... it's not a bad movie, though I do think it's the weakest in the series. A 8 or 9 outta 10 it is not.

For me (and i purposely read nothing about the film online before I saw it)... I was genuinely dumbstruck by the Mandarin thing, and it felt wrong. It felt ridiculous. It was in that moment I realized I was shifting in my seat and felt like the tone of the film (and the series) was going in the wrong direction. That's just my opinion.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:34 PM   #360
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyboy View Post
^That's not necessarily true. I sat down with my wife fully intending to enjoy the film... and I did... it's not a bad movie, though I do think it's the weakest in the series. A 8 or 9 outta 10 it is not.

For me (and i purposely read nothing about the film online before I saw it)... I was genuinely dumbstruck by the Mandarin thing, and it felt wrong. It felt ridiculous. It was in that moment I realized I was shifting in my seat and felt like the tone of the film (and the series) was going in the wrong direction. That's just my opinion.
Did it feel wrong to you in the context of the film, or just in the context of comic-book canon?

Old 04-24-2013, 10:38 PM   #361
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.

^I'm not a follower of the character within the comics, but I did expect that the Mandarin was the main villain, ie a showdown with Tony at some point... not the Killian-centric tale that it turns out to be. Killian to me is completely un-interesting. But yes, it felt wrong within the movie and then the tone of the film actually shifts. It didn't sit right with me as, and this is coming from a fan of the previous two films and Avengers and nearly everything Marvel's been doing. *shrugs*

Old 04-24-2013, 10:40 PM   #362
StevenSeagal
Side-Kick

Review time! Spoiler heavy so you're warned! Also wall of text

So i saw it a few hours ago (Amsterdam), in 3D IMAX. 3D was actually really nice and i don't often like 3D in movies. I am going to go frp, tje positive points from the film to the negative points.

The positive points :' Visually this movie is really just great, especially all the scenes in the snow and the entire final action sequence. I'd say go see it atleast once just for that alone. The beginning was funny to me cause it was just so odd to hear Blue from Eiffel 65, i honestly thought the theater's music was still playing by accident then i saw 1999 and i knew it was part of the film ( Love that song, mock me all you want) . There is a cameo at the beginning that i really really liked that i won't say even in this spoiler review.

The acting was great from pretty much everyone. Starting with Robert Downey jr who i honestly thought had his best performance as Tony, i thought he was great in the first Iron man but became a bit of a douche in 2 and Avengers but in this movie he is just likeable and relatable throughout the entire film. The struggle he has throughout the movie about The Avengers events is really well done especially. The subplot with him and the boy is also really really good stuff and the boy is also likeable unlike alot of child actors (Bit mean? ehh) . Paltrow was very good as Pepper, and it really surprised me how her character ended up i did not see that coming. Cheadle seems to have gotten alot more fun out of the character this time, still serious at times but he just seemed to get alot more fun with the character in this and his scenes with Downey really seemed genuine and were a blast to watch. Rebecca hall was good as Maya Hansen, the character didn't get too much to do though she did play an important part to the overall plot. Guy Pearce was good but i just never got into the character, will get to that later though. Kingsley as Mandarin was the main reason i was excited about this film, just from trailers and tv spots alone i wanted to see more of him. His introduction in the movie is very well done, the character is just legitimately unsettling and frightening , he just felt very real. You truelly feel like Tony finally has a really solid villain to go up against ( Though i liked Obadiah and Vanko). Even after the twist ( Get to that later) Kingsley remained entertaining and fun to watch. Favreau was hilarious, and i really felt bad after what happens to him.

I loved all the action scenes, especially the final battle which i feel is probably up there with the final battle in the Avengers. I'd say it's the best final action scene in the Iron man trilogy, really intense. I'd say the best action scene though for me personally is Tony's mansion getting blown up that moment just has you completely on the edge of your seat, i was gonna take a sip of my pepsi but i was too into the scene to even bother.

I also loved the scene in which tony just kicks ass basically without the suit, it showed once again that tony stark is quite a badass and a hero with or without the suit, it showed his guts and intelligence. It reminded me of Bruce dissarming that joker thug in The Dark knight, but times 10.

The soundtrack was good, the main theme was really good and it fit. I wasn't sure what to think of it when i listened to it online but it works very well in the film. The Mandarin's theme is also very creepy.

I liked the ending, but it did really feel like the end of Iron man or atleast Robert Downey as Iron Man, although he does say :'I am iron man. So who knows what this will lead to. The post credit scene was really funny, Ruffalo looked a bit old and fat though but it was still really nice to see him again.

Also the humour in this film is really funny and not forced at all, you will laugh alot. Maybe a bit too much humour, but all the jokes and subtle comedy stuff works.

Unfortunately there were things i didn't like, getting to that now.

The Negatives

I will just be straight forward with it, i didn't like the Mandarin twist.. i kinda hated it. Liked i said Mandarin was one of the if not the main reason i was looking forward to this film so much. Now i am not gonna pretend like i am huge fan of the comic version of Mandarin, but just from what you saw from Kingsley in the trailers and tv spots and from what you saw of him in the film he just really seemed like a great villain. And for the first half of the film he really was, just terrifying at times with some qreat quotes. So for him to suddenly be revealed as just a drunk english actor named Trevor.. it just didn't work for me. It's a brilliant twist, but i hated it. And there are 2 main reasons why.

1 What you get from Mandarin before the twist is fantastic, a scary well acted villain who seems like a big threat. You really want to see Tony get him and just beat the hell out of him. He had potential to be one of the best Comic movie villains of all time. But the twist completely ruins that and you will not be able to take him serious or find him scary again on a second viewing, although because Kingsley did the scenes so well you probably will still be pretty scared.

And the 2nd reason why it didn't work for me comes back to Killian. I just didn't care much for Killian, i found him a bit bland and boring nothing we've not seen before. He honestly seemed like forgetable bond villian, one out of a Pierce Brosnan Bond movie not named Goldeneye. Or like he belonged in a Resident Evil movie. And this is not a knock on Guy Pearce at all, like i said he did very good it's the character i didn't care for. Though i still enjoyed the hell out of the final battle between him and Tony.

Another somewhat Negative for me was the suits at the end. There was alot of potential to truely see some unique stuff from them, but the majority of them get destroyed quite fast or don't get shown much. The space suit for example gets shown for only a few seconds (Though i might have to see the movie again to confirm that) Igor gets about 20 seconds. It doesn't take away from the final battle though, it's just some of the suits could have been show a bit longer. The suits that do get more screen time though, are just awesome. And i gotta say Tony hopping from one suit to another is also really cool.

I am not sure what to think of him destroying all the suits and the end though, i have to lean towards liking it. It works because at the beginning of the movie he called the suits part of him, spent most of his nights just being with the suits and working on them and therefore basically not giving Pepper all that much attention. I feel the scene was a nice way of Tony showing Pepper that he's done giving the suits attention, a nice way of saying he will be there for Pepper alot more now, though that like the ending does seem to show that he will no longer be Iron man, or not as much anymore.

Really curious to see where Iron Man goes from here, i can't imagine Avengers 2 won't have Iron Man in it but who knows. though that means Cap ( My personal favourite) would get a bigger role probably.

Right long review, but overall i'd say an 8/10 or and 8.5/10 excellent film and i will see it again.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:47 PM   #363
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.

^That's an excellent argument in your "negatives section." The movie version of Mandarin could've been the definitive version - to take a relatively unknown comic character and make it amazing, but they chose not to go that route, and yes... it feels wrong.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:50 PM   #364
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
^That's an excellent argument in your "negatives section." The movie version of Mandarin could've been the definitive version - to take a relatively unknown comic character and make it amazing, but they chose not to go that route, and yes... it feels wrong.
That's depressing to hear. The wasted potential is what bothers me most of all. We had an opportunity for a new interpretation, what we get is a facade.

I'll see the movie soon so I'll see if it changes my opinion, but I have to admit the idea on the whole seems really weak.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:55 PM   #365
StevenSeagal
Side-Kick

Quote:

Yeah that's the main problem is that there was alot of potential just from how good i thought Kingsley was. And like you said a chance of getting rid of the stereotypical somewhat racist (Early version) image of Mandarin that most know, and the green fu manchu version and actually have a great memorable version of him. It saddens me that we won't get to see more of this Mandarin ( Well the scary version before the twist that is)

Though it might just be me overreacting to how good Mandarin was before the twist, i will see the movie again and give my opinion on it all after a 2nd viewing.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:56 PM   #366
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Casting Kingsley in the role seemed like such a stroke of genius too... ugh really feels like a waste.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #367
PokeJ
Side-Kick

Review from Philippine Star.

http://www.philstar.com/entertainmen...iew-iron-man-3

Old 04-24-2013, 11:10 PM   #368
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

I really fail to see how Kingsley was "wasted."
If an actor turns in a great performance, and there's a late plot twist that reveals that all is not as it seems, how does that denigrate what has come before? Great acting is great acting.

There's an analogy here, and it involves The Wizard of Oz.
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain." Does the big plot twist at the end of that movie make everything that came before somehow "wasted?" Posterity would say "no."

Old 04-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #369
StevenSeagal
Side-Kick

I'd not say Kingsley was wasted, i just thought he was so good that i wanted to see him till the end. Killian was nowhere near as interresting as Kingsley's mandarin was, so it was just a bit sad that about halfway through you don't get to see the very good villain in Mandarin and instead get Killian. But it's also a matter of how you see Killian, i am not a fan but if you like Killian you won't mind the twist as much.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:15 PM   #370
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

I never said Kingsley's acting isn't great in the film. I said the potential character, which Kinglsey seemed a great fit for, was wasted by being thrown away.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:26 PM   #371
Superhero 101
DESI

How long is the final battle is it like the Avengers or a little bit shorter

Old 04-24-2013, 11:28 PM   #372
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Movie is now up to 95% with 39 reviews in.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/iron_man_3/

Old 04-24-2013, 11:31 PM   #373
StevenSeagal
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhero 101 View Post
How long is the final battle is it like the Avengers or a little bit shorter

I'd say around the same length, not sure if it was shorter or longer probably shorter. But roughly the same length.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:39 PM   #374
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
I really fail to see how Kingsley was "wasted."
If an actor turns in a great performance, and there's a late plot twist that reveals that all is not as it seems, how does that denigrate what has come before? Great acting is great acting.
[/SPOILER]
We're talking about the character, not the performance. The "waste" was what was done with the Mandarin character itself.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:40 PM   #375
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Movie is now up to 95% with 39 reviews in.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/iron_man_3/
Those must be all the Americans who haven't seen it.