Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #751
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

Default Re: Official Iron Man 3 rate/review thread.

All movies should spoil there twists and surprises in the trailer.

If they do not, they therefor are cheating the audience. They are laughing at the audience. They are making a fool of the audience.

A filmmaker has no right to tell a story they want to tell because fanboys may get angry.

Films are products. Not art. No room for surprises of any kind.

Must cater to preconceived idea's of what the vocal minority want's in order not to piss fanboys off.

We must not piss off the fanboys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #752
thalidomide
The Enemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIrishAvenger View Post
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
It's part of Tony's journey throughout the movie. He's trying to decide if the suit makes him or he makes the suit. By the end of the movie, he learns that he is Iron Man even without his suits and so he doesn't need the arc reactor. BUT I do think getting the arc reactor removed could have been hinted and foreshadowed at a bit more, it kinda came out of nowhere.
Well said

Old 04-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #753
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
I don't prefer serious or lighter per se. It's all about context and execution. For example I love both the incredibly light 60s Batman AND the incredibly serious Nolan films. It helps to have an open mind. What's great is great.
I only like the Nolan Batman movies, I think everything before is a joke. Imho.
Back to IM3, I think the movie would have been far better if it delivered on the tone of the trailers, sure you wouldn't get your cheap punch line but you would have a movie classic and one of the greatest villains of all time.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #754
Beyond
Newbie First Class

Quote:
It's part of Tony's journey throughout the movie. He's trying to decide if the suit makes him or he makes the suit. By the end of the movie, he learns that he is Iron Man even without his suits and so he doesn't need the arc reactor. BUT I do think getting the arc reactor removed could have been hinted and foreshadowed at a bit more, it kinda came out of nowhere.
What did the arc reactor have to do with that 'question' though? While I do understand the "if the suit makes him or he makes the suit" stuff, I don't see how his Arc Reactor is relevant in it.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #755
TheIrishAvenger
You are not special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinZilla89 View Post

If they do not, they therefor are cheating the audience. They are laughing at the audience. They are making a fool of the audience.

A filmmaker has no right to tell a story they want to tell because fanboys may get angry.

Must cater to preconceived idea's of what the vocal minority want's in order not to piss fanboys off.

"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible, and we count these moments. Those moments when we dared to aim higher -- to break barriers, to reach for the stars. To make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that, and perhaps we've just forgotten. That we're still pioneers, that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us -- because our destiny lies above us."

INTERSTELLAR

Old 04-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #756
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

So people who prefer a movie to pay off what it sets up are fanboys? Okay then.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #757
TheIrishAvenger
You are not special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
What did the arc reactor have to do with that 'question' though? While I do understand the "if the suit makes him or he makes the suit" stuff, I don't see how his Arc Reactor is relevant in it.
The arc reactor is metaphorically, Iron Man's heart, and the idea of "the suit making the man" gives Tony the need to have the arc reactor or else he can't be Iron Man. But by the end of the film, he has come full circle and realized that the arc reactor isn't the key to Iron Man, but that he is.

"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible, and we count these moments. Those moments when we dared to aim higher -- to break barriers, to reach for the stars. To make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that, and perhaps we've just forgotten. That we're still pioneers, that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us -- because our destiny lies above us."

INTERSTELLAR

Old 04-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #758
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post

It did pay off what it set up, just not in the superficial way everyone wanted.

All of this *****ing about the Mandarin being raped and all that jazz is almost pathetic.

So he didn't have magical rings. Boohoo. I simply don't see how the ideology of the character wasn't represented by Killian and Trevor. Oh, that's right. It was.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #759
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
It did pay off what it set up, just not in the superficial way everyone wanted.

All of this *****ing about the Mandarin being raped and all that jazz is almost pathetic.

So he didn't have magical rings. Boohoo. I simply don't see how the ideology of the character wasn't represented by Killian and Trevor. Oh, that's right. It was.
Who cares about his stupid magic rings? I'm talking about the character assassination of a character they themselves established. A character they set up in the movie, not the comics, not the cartoons, the MOVIE.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #760
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
Still feel a little taken aback by Tony removing the shrapnel only just now. I mean, heck, it gave him poisoning in Iron Man 2. It doesn't power the suits, it's possible to fix it with surgery, so why not take it out sooner? Although, I haven't seen Iron Man 1/2 in sometime though, it does feel like I am missing something about it.
Tony installed the arc reactor in his chest to keep himself alive while he planned his escape from the Ten Rings. But, once he was out, he'd had an epiphany about his life and suddenly felt an enormous amount of guilt and responsibility for all the deaths that Stark Industries (and Tony, by proxy) had contributed over the years.

As some people point out, Tony felt like the arc in his chest defined him as Iron Man as much as the suits themselves (ie, the suits are "a part of him" metaphorically, the arc is "a part of him" physically). And this is true...but that's not all there is to it. Tony was punishing himself. The arc reactor in his chest was always keeping him just moments from death; a constant reminder of why he has chosen to become Iron Man.

You see, it was the "old" Tony's weapons that put the shrapnel in his chest...but it was the "new" Tony's ingenuity that saved him from it. This can be seen as a metaphor on multiple levels for Tony. All in all, though, the arc was Tony's turning point as a human being. In his mind, he was reborn in that cave in Afghanistan...reborn with that arc in his chest.

Now, I haven't seen Iron Man 3 yet...but I'm aware that Tony comes to a new realization and understanding of himself. He no longer feels the need to cling to things that changed him, because he has truly evolved into a better person. Though the arc was a constant reminder of Tony's "change of heart" so-to-speak, it was also a constant reminder of his past and his guilt. Letting go of the arc is letting go of his these things.

ゴジラ
Old 04-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #761
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

Quote:

THIS ^ THIS times a thousand.

... Batman !!!
Old 04-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #762
J.Howlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijunexus View Post
Tony installed the arc reactor in his chest to keep himself alive while he planned his escape from the Ten Rings. But, once he was out, he'd had an epiphany about his life and suddenly felt an enormous amount of guilt and responsibility for all the deaths that Stark Industries (and Tony, by proxy) had contributed over the years.

As some people point out, Tony felt like the arc in his chest defined him as Iron Man as much as the suits themselves (ie, the suits are "a part of him" metaphorically, the arc is "a part of him" physically). And this is true...but that's not all there is to it. Tony was punishing himself. The arc reactor in his chest was always keeping him just moments from death; a constant reminder of why he has chosen to become Iron Man.

You see, it was the "old" Tony's weapons that put the shrapnel in his chest...but it was the "new" Tony's ingenuity that saved him from it. This can be seen as a metaphor on multiple levels for Tony. All in all, though, the arc was Tony's turning point as a human being. In his mind, he was reborn in that cave in Afghanistan...reborn with that arc in his chest.

Now, I haven't seen Iron Man 3 yet...but I'm aware that Tony comes to a new realization and understanding of himself. He no longer feels the need to cling to things that changed him, because he has truly evolved into a better person. Though the arc was a constant reminder of Tony's "change of heart" so-to-speak, it was also a constant reminder of his past and his guilt. Letting go of the arc is letting go of his these things.
The film delivers on this. Big time...

Old 04-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #763
cabjvitu
Side-Kick

Honestly i was utterly disappointed by the movie, I was not expecting the greatest film but the reviews were great so I was waiting at least something better than 2. Thought it was stupid, boring, characters like Rhodey misused, the enemies were silly, and what is with the touch of one hand they disabled war machine?!, at the end there were like 200 of those enemies but they were not able of this anymore. then Ironman does not do anything in the hole movie, and super pepper resolves this, what???. Ninja Tony Stark takes on trained security making funny faces for the camera, come on, i went to watch ironman!. RDJ has his charisma intact and this is what makes it watchable, but the conflicting of scenes were apparently the director did not know if this was a mexican soap opera, a romantic comedy or a buddy movie, or even a kid bonding movie, and please do not tell me that he mixed this fantastically because the movie feels broken.
Suddenly Tony was able to get the arc out, destroy everything he has become, forget his promise of protecting world peace haha, i guess because super pepper showed that she could take on a a baddie by herself and he was useless hehe :P.
Anyways the twists were silly, ok mandarin was not real but in the first movie the rings were mentioned as a real threat right, anyone remember this?. Even though before this twist you could already tell that it was coming i feel that it isnīt the worst thing, im all for twists if the movie is consistent and it works, this movie, at least for me, does not.

ps:this was quickly written on an ipad,sorry if i mispelled or anything but im a spanish speaker

4/10

Last edited by cabjvitu; 04-28-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #764
Beyond
Newbie First Class

Th Smile Re: Official Iron Man 3 rate/review thread.

Quote:
The arc reactor is metaphorically, Iron Man's heart, and the idea of "the suit making the man" gives Tony the need to have the arc reactor or else he can't be Iron Man. But by the end of the film, he has come full circle and realized that the arc reactor isn't the key to Iron Man, but that he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijunexus View Post

Thank you both! I guess I never took into account how it effected Tony in IM1.

I appreatiate it.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #765
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend

Quote:
IMO the movie that really failed to do that was Superman Returns. I thought that Singer was going to have a great Lex Luthor, and he even got Kevin Spacey to play this iconic villain. But instead of a brilliant mastermind who is hell-bent of dominating the world, he was just someone who got the green rock from Krypton by chance and wanted to sell his lands for lots of money like an evil real estate agent. THAT was a huge letdown.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Old 04-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #766
TheIrishAvenger
You are not special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabjvitu View Post
Honestly i was utterly disappointed by the movie, I was not expecting the greatest film but the reviews were great so I was waiting at least something better than 2. Thought it was stupid, boring, characters like Rhodey misused, the enemies were silly, and what is with the touch of one hand they disabled war machine?!, at the end there were like 200 of those enemies but they were not able of this anymore. then Ironman does not do anything in the hole movie, and super pepper resolves this, what???. Ninja Tony Stark takes on trained security making funny faces for the camera, come on, i went to watch ironman!. RDJ has his charisma intact and this is what makes it watchable, but the conflicting of scenes were apparently the director did not know if this was a mexican soap opera, a romantic comedy or a buddy movie, or even a kid bonding movie, and please do not tell me that he mixed this fantastically because the movie feels broken.
Suddenly Tony was able to get the arc out, destroy everything he has become, forget his promise of protecting world peace haha, i guess because super pepper showed that she could take on a a baddie by herself and he was useless hehe :P.
Anyways the twists were silly, ok mandarin was not real but in the first movie the rings were mentioned as a real threat right, anyone remember this?. Even though before this twist you could already tell that that was coming i feel that it is's the worst thing, im all for twist if the movie is consistent and it works, this movie, at least for me does not.

ps:this was quickly written on an ipad,sorry if i mispelled or anything but im a spanish speaker

4/10
Sigh...

INTERSTELLAR

Old 04-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #767
J.Howlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
IMO the movie that really failed to do that was Superman Returns. I thought that Singer was going to have a great Lex Luthor, and he even got Kevin Spacey to play this iconic villain. But instead of a brilliant mastermind who is hell-bent of dominating the world, he was just someone who got the green rock from Krypton by chance and wanted to sell his lands for lots of money like an evil real estate agent. THAT was a huge letdown.
Luthor's plan started out being a rehash of Superman the Movie. Once Superman returned, he sought out the Kryptonite and the plan turned completely towards vengeance.

7 years later and people still don't understand the second half of Superman Returns.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #768
The Villain
Side-Kick

Just back from seeing it here in Scotland & simply loved it best one of the 3 made.

IM3 had a good mix of action, humor, story etc etc. Oh I liked the soundtrack alot.

I don't know if they are planning a 4th but if so I'd love for the big bad to be perhaps Titanium Man, Whirlwind or maybe both

9/10 for IM3.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #769
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
I just think the criticism comes from everyone's expectations based on how Marvel was selling the film, blatantly, and for how..in the first hour...Kingsley was very representative of the marketing and then some.

Again, I can see both sides of the argument on this one. I mean, there's a version of this film were the Mandarin ISN'T a punchline, considering how Kingsley plays him and how the tone of the picture feels when he's on screen.

Again, I see both sides.
I think this is a bad way to go into a movie, expecting characters to only act a certain way. What's the point of hiring a creative writer? Both Kingsley and Pearce have been praised by critics in the movie. I guess I am not understanding this 'outrage'.

A good example in another movie is Bane is TDKR. In the end, he was little more than a strong, well-spoken goon. He had little in common with his comicbook self. He wasn't huge, didn't use venom, didn't have a teddy bear, and wasn't held in a Latin American prison. Did this truly ruin anyones experience of TDKR? Did his demise at the hands of Catwoman (using the Bat Pod) and reveal that he was a pawn ruin the great acting/scenes earlier in the film? No way! At least not for regular people who aren't so emotionally tied down to these fictional, children's characters. Bane ended up as a great villain and so will Mandarin & Killian.

What is being forgotten is that these movies are supposed to be fun. Was Iron Man 3 fun? By almost all accounts, it was. Mission accomplished. I'm getting too old for these unrealistic expectations for movies with rubber suits to be held up to actual great films. Movies that people will be talking about 50 years from now. There has only been one that came close and I doubt that ever happens again. People need to move on from The Dark Knight and just have fun with this genre. The expectations pre-2008 used to be for a fun, entertaining, quality film. That's not enough these days. Spider-Man 1 would be considered a joke by alot of people on this site. Movies that laid the groundwork for this website. Today, every film in this genre is expected to be Oscar quality. Anything falling short of a perfect screenplay is heavily criticized. Even movies like Avengers and TDKR weren't immune to this. The whole thing is sort of obnoxious.

Prof. X sittin' on Adamantium wheelchair rims, reading your stupid minds & laughing at your hair.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #770
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMariachi View Post
I think this is a bad way to go into a movie, expecting characters to only act a certain way. What's the point of hiring a creative writer? Both Kingsley and Pearce have been praised by critics in the movie. I guess I am not understanding this 'outrage'.

A good example in another movie is Bane is TDKR. In the end, he was little more than a strong, well-spoken goon. He had little in common with his comicbook self. He wasn't huge, didn't use venom, didn't have a teddy bear, and wasn't held in a Latin American prison. Did this truly ruin anyones experience of TDKR? Did his demise at the hands of Catwoman (using the Bat Pod) and reveal that he was a pawn ruin the great acting/scenes earlier in the film? No way! At least not for regular people who aren't so emotionally tied down to these fictional, children's characters. Bane ended up as a great villain and so will Mandarin & Killian.

What is being forgotten is that these movies are supposed to be fun. Was Iron Man 3 fun? By almost all accounts, it was. Mission accomplished. I'm getting too old for these unrealistic expectations for movies with rubber suits to be held up to actual great films. Movies that people will be talking about 50 years from now. There has only been one that came close and I doubt that ever happens again. People need to move on from The Dark Knight and just have fun with this genre. The expectations pre-2008 used to be for a fun, entertaining, quality film. That's not enough these days. Spider-Man 1 would be considered a joke by alot of people on this site. Movies that laid the groundwork for this website. Today, every film in this genre is expected to be Oscar quality. Anything falling short of a perfect screenplay is heavily criticized. Even movies like Avengers and TDKR weren't immune to this. The whole thing is sort of obnoxious.
I wasn't expecting Citizen Kane, just pay off for what was set up in act 1.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #771
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:

How did IM3 *not* pay off what it set up?
It set up Tony Stark going back into "his cave." It set up a change in his mindset after The Avengers. It set up a ****load of armors on display. It set up Tony and Rhodey doing the buddy cop thing. It set up Iron Patriot. It set up Pepper having a very strong presence in this movie. It set up massive set-pieces and action sequences that dwarf anything the previous two Iron Man movies attempted. It set up not one, but *two* nasty villains, and a veritable army of super-powered henchies.

Did you not get any of that stuff in the movie you watched?

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 04-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #772
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

This is the first MCU film that I've wanted to watch a third time in the cinema. I mean there is going to be a lot of potentially excellent films this year, elysium, pacific rim, gatsby, gravity, only god forgives, hobbit 2, man of steel...yet i absolutely cannot see IM3 not being on my top ten list of the year.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Old 04-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #773
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMariachi View Post

The issue is the marketing of the film is misleading to a fault. How about you actually watch the movie and then make up your mind about it instead of being 'confused' of the outrage. You might then be able to understand what people's issues are.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #774
protoctista
Side-Kick

I'm a film fan first, comic book fan second.

The genre-politics of this film are genius. People feeling cheated by the Mandarin flip are an essential part of this, which is why its so ballsy. The film makers inserted a giant 'kink' in the fabric of the genre at the absolute prime moment - it hits you like the gunshot in LA Confidential. It does to the movie what the I am your father scene does to Star Wars - or what the reveal of Kaiser Soze does to The Usual Suspects. It changes everything.

Fans who are discomforted by that should search for a smarter articulation of what that effect says about the phenomena of comic book movies. The marketing, the execution, the creation of the Mandarin was so perfect - in terms of how we have come to understand film adaptions of difficult comic book villains. It does exactly what the genre has come to do. They take a silly/difficult character and give him a fan-boy's wet dream of a Nolan interpretation. The Mandarin is a commentary on that process firstly. But it also does something more meaningful in the context of the film. It takes off the mask of the villain you want to see, dousing their mystique in cold water, showing them to be simply a creation - another special effect to sell us the movie. We were totally fooled. And we should enjoy that and learn from it.

Its about time a superhero movie deconstructed the idea of villainy in the same way that it has tried to deconstruct the idea of heroism. The villains of our modern world are marketing constructs - Bin Laden, Assad, Kim Jung Il. We do not find them terrifying or even truly abhorrent - but they instill a talismatic sense of excitement within the catastrophe of modern events. Their persona obscures the real war which our governments are waging around them. Our villains are brought to us through the media without even the slightest attempt at empathy - objectivity - or counter-factual. They are almost what we want them to be.

Isn't it unnervingly true, that the face of our enemy, that excites us - is disappointing and crass, and only a personification of the greater threat and challenge to our ideas? Think of Bin Laden taken out in his hide-away with his wives in the dead of night. Perhaps if we had seen that scene it might have been as disappointing and crass as the Mandarin?

Last edited by protoctista; 04-28-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #775
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by protoctista View Post
I'm a film fan first, comic book fan second.

The genre-politics of this film are genius. People feeling cheated by the Mandarin flip are an essential part of this, which is why its so ballsy. The film makers inserted a giant 'kink' in the fabric of the genre at the absolute prime moment - it hits you like the gunshot in LA Confidential. It does to the movie what the I am your father scene does to Star Wars - or what the reveal of Kaiser Soze does to The Usual Suspects. It changes everything.

Fans who are discomforted by that should search for a smarter articulation of what that effect says about the phenomena of comic book movies. The marketing, the execution, the creation of the Mandarin is so perfect - in terms of how we have come to understand film adaptions of difficult comic book villains. It does exactly what the genre has come to do. They take a silly/difficult character and give him a fan-boy's wet dream of a Nolan interpretation. The Mandarin is a commentary on that process firstly. But it also does something more meaningful in the context of the film. It takes off the mask of the villain you want to see, dousing their mystique in cold water, showing them to be simply a creation - another special effect to sell us the movie. We were totally fooled. And we should enjoy that and learn from it.

Its about time a superhero movie deconstructed the idea of villainy in the same way that it has tried to deconstruct the idea of heroism. The villains of our modern world are marketing constructs - Bin Laden, Assad, Kim Jung Il. We do not find them terrifying or even truly abhorrent - but they instill a talismatic sense of excitement within the catastrophe of modern events. Their persona obscures the real war which our governments are waging around them. Our villains are brought to us through the media without even the slightest attempt at empathy - objectivity - or counter-factual. They are almost what we want them to be.

Isn't it unnervingly true, that the face of our enemy, that excites us - is disappointing and crass, and only a personification of the greater threat and challenge to our ideas? Think of Bin Laden taken out in his hide-away with his wives in the dead of night. Perhaps if we had seen that scene it might have been as disappointing and crass as the Mandarin?

From a film perspective I understand what you say. But the downside for a film like Iron Man is that it relegates the more interesting character to a sideshow act. Yeah, we wanted to see a certain character, but the problem is the real mastermind is nothing in comparison and frankly the way the story is written he couldn't be. He neither feels like a threat nor has no personal connection to the main character other than a brief meeting a decade ago so in many ways Killian turning out to be the mastermind really has little emotional impact to the story. It's almost a Talia in TDKR situation where it feels like a waste more than anything else.

I've got no problem with deconstructing elements of movies, the problem comes when it's at the cost of the movie reaching a higher level. A deconstruction of villains has it's place but I'm not so sure it's in the superhero genre because ultimately what happens is it ends up letting a lot of people down. Iron Man has been completely devoid of any real threat throughout the entire series, since day one it's been the Tony Stark show, the character really needed a villain to step up to the mark and be an adversary to Stark, one that would linger in people minds for years. What we're left with is this weird taste in our mouths. Killian is a poor substitute, regardless of whether you interpret him as the 'real' Mandarin or not, he's a very generic mad scientist character. How things play out in the movie makes sense in context of the story, won't argue that, but I question whether enough thought was placed into it given the type of movie this is. It's a superhero film, and whilst I appreciate them giving it a more mature narrative the way things are handled in this kinda comes at a cost.

To me how this film was promoted is the real fault. You can't expect people not to be excited given the promotional material for this movie and that's probably where the issue is for me more than anything. If the Mandarin wasn't a prominent feature of the campaign none of this would be an issue - none. But he was being perceived as this great threat, and no matter how much sense the twist makes in context you cannot expect every person to simply be ok with it, it's jarring to see the build up in this film of what looks like a great and memorable character turn out to be nothing more than a joke. That sort of switcheroo thing works best when you're dealing with subtleties, in this case you're dealing with extremes, the decoy is this over the top villain, the mastermind is this rather generic man. Yes people wanted to believe the Mandarin was real, because he was the more interesting character. To me in this case it doesn't matter how much you try and say it works in the context of the story, the film is poorer for not having the Mandarin we saw promoted be the one stealing the show.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Closed Thread