The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 04-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #126
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Default Re: Official Man of Steel Trailer(s) Thread - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKŪ View Post
The characterisation does indeed seem to be spot on. That I will not deny. And yes, they get the story and meaning of the character right (again, judging by the trailer, the film has yet to be released). As a Superman adaptation, this is definitely shaping up to be worthy, surpassing even the original Superman: The Movie.

I think what it really boils down to, for me personally, is that my specific view of how Superman is meant to be is tied to a very old-school style of storytelling, which isn't really fashionable at the moment. Man of Steel is very modern. Which is it's main strength, I suppose. My version of Superman works best in stories like All Star Superman, Whatever Happened To The Man of Tomorrow and For The Man Who Has Everything. Silver Age stuff.

Which is why the reason I support this movie is because it appears to be a modern update which sticks to what the character is about. Which is commendable. But at the same time, I don't want Superman to be modernised. Make sense?
I would think a retro/period piece version of Superman, which we've bounced around here before, would probably be right up your alley, yes?

I'd frankly love to see that as a big-budget cable miniseries.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #127
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
I don't know if anyone's brought this up...and I'm kinda' hoping that it is the case...

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
...but when Jor-El/Lara say "He'll be an outcast....they'll kill him." "He'll be a God to them.." Unlike the Brando 'destiny' part of STM...would they be talking about Krypton instead? It's been pointed out that Kal-El's birth is special in that it is natural and not engineered. So it's sort of like Children Of Men in terms of being a miracle that he was born. So the implication is how it will change things on Krypton...that Krypton will see him as different or God-like or a source of fear. And that could be what starts up a huge 'holy war' and leads to his escaping, Zod's obsessive search for him, and ultimately the destruction of Krypton.

I'd also be kind of an interesting reversal in that he escapes a place where he has some sort of destiny or symbolism...a source of awe and/or fear and jealousy and the desire to possess his power...to a place where he could 'start from scratch'....where the 'imagine a child...' part of Jor-El's speech really means something, as opposed to the almost religious radicalism that would meet his existence on Krypton.

I hope that's the case, and it also puts a lot of those 'STM-like' points on Krypton in a whole new light.
Quote:
I honestly thing that really would put a cool spin on this whole thing....

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
...when you think of Krypton, were talking a world much more 'advanced' than ours...but tat may not necessarily be a good thing. As technology and science has grew, so has religious (for lack of a better term) radicalism as a 'yin to that yang', so to speak. Zod could very well be a reflection of history's greatest radical zealots using a twisted sense of 'faith' or ideology to attain power. It only stands to reason that in a society where natural birth doesn't happen, this would be seen as a sign or miracle...and just the sort of thing radical zealots would want to capitalize on. Or...Zod is threatened by the power and influence implied by the miracle birth, rendering his ideology obsolete.....so he seeks to eliminate it by killing Kal-El, which he may portray as an unholy abomination.

Hence..."You think your son is safe...?" "I will find him!", and essentially a Kryptonian Jihad launched by Zod.

We see that giant mecha 'Kraken' thing....that could be something that Zod launches as a weapon, but it goes out of control and ends up destroying the whole planet. So he escapes, or is protected by being caught and banished to the Phantom Zone, and eventually follows Kal-El to Earth to finish what he set out to do on Krypton: either possess his as an ally or kill him as a threat to their power.

O the other hand, I kinda' hope it isn't true because I just ruined the surprise.
KalMart is a fracking genius

Although I think the "Kryptonian Kraken" is actually the Phantom Zone, but whatever

Dark Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #128
punishermax
Side-Kick

Words cannot express my feelings on this trailer. Nearly what I had in my head after watching the other trailers. I have a feeling that everything I have wanted in a Superman movie will be come to fruition with the team that is handling this franchise.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #129
MarvelU
Side-Kick

This movie has to be good, that trailer was amazing.

MarvelU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #130
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sentinel View Post
Although I think the "Kryptonian Kraken" is actually the Phantom Zone, but whatever
The 'Kryptaken'? Yeah that could be cool....maybe it just goes to out of control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelU View Post
This movie has to be good, that trailer was amazing.
That's pretty much the philosophy of making any trailer.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 04-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #131
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKŪ View Post
But at the same time, I don't want Superman to be modernised. Make sense?
The film needed to be modernized in order to preserve the life of the character. Younger audiences wouldn't be amused by an "old fashioned" Superman, and ultimately it is they who will dictate the future of this character. You have to make a Superman movie that appeals to them... not their fathers.

If you keep reminding everyone that Superman is something of the past, people are going to treat it as such. And if you lose this generation now, you risk losing them forever and it allows for newer, hipper, more modern superheroes to fill that void. And before you know it, in maybe 30 years... Superman has officially become an artifact.

Meanwhile if Man Of Steel is a hit, it breathes new life into the character and adds on a good 30 years.

Skrilla31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #132
JAKŪ
Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilla31 View Post
The film needed to be modernized in order to preserve the life of the character. Younger audiences wouldn't be amused by an "old fashioned" Superman, and ultimately it is they who will dictate the future of this character. You have to make a Superman movie that appeals to them... not their fathers.

If you keep reminding everyone that Superman is something of the past, people are going to treat it as such. And if you lose this generation now, you risk losing them forever and it allows for newer, hipper, more modern superheroes to fill that void. And before you know it, in maybe 30 years... Superman has officially become an artifact.

Meanwhile if Man Of Steel is a hit, it breathes new life into the character and adds on a good 30 years.
I did say that this film is exactly what Superman needed in terms of public perception, and that it's apparent success in modernising the character is it's main strength.

But we were talking about our own personal preferences, and my preference is that Superman should be retro. However, I'm perfectly capable of distinguishing what I want the character to be and what the character can be.

So I should repeat, I am NOT against this film in any way.

JAKŪ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #133
stillanerd
Side-Kick

My reaction when I saw this trailer yesterday...

WOW!

If the rest of the movie manages to maintains that level of epic scale, action, and character moments as depicted in this trailer, then Man of Steel is going to go down as one the best superhero films ever made. Too bad we still got to wait until June, cause, IMO, it can't get here fast enough.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

You know what I hate? Country Music! I don't know what country it's from, but it sure as hell ain't mine! --Mad TV

stillanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #134
Agentdemon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK elbowstrike View Post
Just curious, do you hate the costume as a whole, or is there a specific portion you dont care for?
I'm sure this has been discussed endlessly here but as whole. The no trunks, the wrist guards or whatever hes' wearing and the armor looking lines that runs from his back to his legs. All of it unnecessary.

Still it's fine. Looks like the got mostly everything else correct character and story wise.

Agentdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #135
tomoe
Side-Kick

Quote:
I honestly thing that really would put a cool spin on this whole thing....

...when you think of Krypton, were talking a world much more 'advanced' than ours...but that may not necessarily be a good thing. As technology and science has grown, so has religious (for lack of a better term) radicalism as a 'yin to that yang', so to speak. Zod could very well be a reflection of history's greatest radical zealots using a twisted sense of 'faith' or ideology to attain power. It only stands to reason that in a society where natural birth doesn't happen, this would be seen as a sign or miracle...and just the sort of thing radical zealots would want to capitalize on. Or...Zod is threatened by the power and influence implied by the miracle birth, rendering his ideology obsolete.....so he seeks to eliminate it by killing Kal-El, which he may portray as an unholy abomination.

Hence..."You think your son is safe...?" "I will find him!", and essentially a Kryptonian Jihad launched by Zod.

We see that giant mecha 'Kraken' thing....that could be something that Zod launches as a weapon, but it goes out of control and ends up destroying the whole planet. So he escapes, or is protected by being caught and banished to the Phantom Zone, and eventually follows Kal-El to Earth to finish what he set out to do on Krypton: either possess his as an ally or kill him as a threat to their power.

O the other hand, I kinda' hope it isn't true because I just ruined the surprise.
I really hope this isn't true, it would mean that Kal el's very existence was the reason Krypton is destroyed, and the reason there is great destruction on earth too. It would technically be all his fault-if he didn't exist, Krypton would still be around and Zod would never have wreaked havoc on earth looking for him or trying to destroy him. Even though he himself didn't do anything to cause it, I'd still rather all this destruction not have anything to do with him.

tomoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #136
JaD
Thriller Night

I'm still digging this trailer and I feel like I've sent it to everyone. I'm really excited and I simply can't wait.

My only issues with it (the trailer) so far is the so-so music which is kind of growing on me but not quite yet and the incoherent and random action scenes thrown in but that's a trailer edit issue. Even the punches at the end were pretty out of nowhere although I honestly think Snyder threw that in there as a joke to fanboys about "Yes Superman punches in this movie."

Another minor little nitpick comes from actually one of my favorite parts of the trailer which was Kevin Costner saying "You are my son." I was shocked that I could get an emotional reaction to a scene in a trailer like that, but my only problem with that part was the kid's delivery of "son". It went from emotional to a bit of an attitude with the way he first said "Can I just..." to "son". It's a minor little nitpick of mine and I'm not even sure if others would notice but I'd use a different take if it were up to me.

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today."
James Dean
JaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #137
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
I really hope this isn't true, it would mean that Kal el's very existence was the reason Krypton is destroyed, and the reason there is great destruction on earth too. It would technically be all his fault-if he didn't exist, Krypton would still be around and Zod would never have wreaked havoc on earth looking for him or trying to destroy him. Even though he himself didn't do anything to cause it, I'd still rather all this destruction not have anything to do with him.
Nah, the reason why it's destroyed would be the culmination of tensions and turmoil already leading up to it over many ages. He just would have been one of the casualties if he hadn't escaped. ..it would have happened sooner or later, but his birth expedited it because of the fault of those who would do such a thing, not his. Like you can't blame 9/11 on anyone's birth, or say an airport worker who didn't see the box cutters on the detectors, or even George Bush's birth. It was the growing sentiment of hatred and fear. the point is that things weren't 'just fine' before he came along, they were already at the brink.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #138
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaD View Post
I'm still digging this trailer and I feel like I've sent it to everyone. I'm really excited and I simply can't wait.

My only issues with it (the trailer) so far is the so-so music which is kind of growing on me but not quite yet and the incoherent and random action scenes thrown in but that's a trailer edit issue. Even the punches at the end were pretty out of nowhere although I honestly think Snyder threw that in there as a joke to fanboys about "Yes Superman punches in this movie."

Another minor little nitpick comes from actually one of my favorite parts of the trailer which was Kevin Costner saying "You are my son." I was shocked that I could get an emotional reaction to a scene in a trailer like that, but my only problem with that part was the kid's delivery of "son". It went from emotional to a bit of an attitude with the way he first said "Can I just..." to "son". It's a minor little nitpick of mine and I'm not even sure if others would notice but I'd use a different take if it were up to me.
I grew to lack the music, but it was weird at first.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #139
jacobed
Banned User

Holy I love this trailer. Cavil is just beyond phenomenal looking. I love his charisma in the little scene he has. Absolutely love Crowe's delivery of "how". Costner looks great, its been many years since I've seen the guy actually act on the big screen. I love how it appears Lois has been searching for him and how it appears she'll help him fit in with the world as Clark. Action looks ridiculously top notch and the cinematography just wow, everything with the cape ah wow looks amazing. Finally the music. Freakin great, so damn uplifting and inspirational with a dash of epicness. It's very obvious Snyder threw in the punches at the end as a wink to the fans. Best trailer I've seen in years. This trailer alone made me interested in a character I'm not usually interested in

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #140
Crazymaverick
Obsessed with the \S/

I fu**'in LOVE this trailer!

Wore it out last night and I've been watching it off and on today.

It promises a truly EPIC Superman movie! I can't wait!!!!

Old 04-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #141
Blitzkrieg Bop
Crazy Casbah Jive

Those flying punches looks awesome. The Iron Man movies hold the gold standard for flying scenes, so let's see how Man of Steel will hold up.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #142
stillanerd
Side-Kick

Quote:
Quote:
Nah, the reason why it's destroyed would be the culmination of tensions and turmoil already leading up to it over many ages. He just would have been one of the casualties if he hadn't escaped. ..it would have happened sooner or later, but his birth expedited it because of the fault of those who would do such a thing, not his. Like you can't blame 9/11 on anyone's birth, or say an airport worker who didn't see the box cutters on the detectors, or even George Bush's birth. It was the growing sentiment of hatred and fear. the point is that things weren't 'just fine' before he came along, they were already at the brink.
Another thing I would add. If Krypton is indeed destroyed as a result of the Kryptonian Civil War and Zod trying to get baby Kal-El, then it does fit with what appears to be another over-arching theme this film is exploring: that Clark is always on the run, always in hiding, whether its because of his fear of being rejected by people because of his powers, or from Zod on his Ahab-like obsession to hunt down his "white whale" in Kal-El. It's only when Clark stops being a nomad, stops hiding, fully embraces who and what he is, and faces Zod and his soldiers head on to save the world that he truly becomes Superman. That, IMO, would be a truly inspiring character arc for him in this film (and unlike Smallville, won't be needlessly dragged out for 10 years. )

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

You know what I hate? Country Music! I don't know what country it's from, but it sure as hell ain't mine! --Mad TV

stillanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #143
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
Another thing I would add. If Krypton is indeed destroyed as a result of the Kryptonian Civil War and Zod trying to get baby Kal-El, then it does fit with what appears to be another over-arching theme this film is exploring: that Clark is always on the run, always in hiding, whether its because of his fear of being rejected by people because of his powers, or from Zod on his Ahab-like obsession to hunt down his "white whale" in Kal-El. It's only when Clark stops being a nomad, stops hiding, fully embraces who and what he is, and faces Zod and his soldiers head on to save the world that he truly becomes Superman. That, IMO, would be a truly inspiring character arc for him in this film (and unlike Smallville, won't be needlessly dragged out for 10 years. )
Yeah, I think there might be an element of Kal-El needing to have some faith in us...to stop hiding and let him grow to trust us just as we have to grow to trust him and embrace the fact that he's different. And to realize that we're not necessarily doomed to repeat what happened to Krypton, we can make our own future.

I mean, that's what he came here to escape in the first place, right? Time to stop feeling like he's hiding, and realize that he's actually home.

"You're not alone."

Probably the editorial that Lois will read in voiceover at the end of the movie.

Last edited by KalMart; 04-17-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #144
LuisTX85
Caped Crusader

Amazing new trailer indeed,I already had faith But this trailer already exceeded it!!

Old 04-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #145
GregComicFan
movie and comic buff

my reaction to the new trailer: wow!

GregComicFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #146
4NutzinYoface
Side-Kick

Awesome Re: Official Man of Steel Trailer(s) Thread - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkyFresh View Post
After viewing the trailer at LEAST 20 times, I need someone to pinch me because I STILL feel like I'm dreaming. The things I saw in this trailer have been a long time coming. I was born in 1982 so my first memories of the Superman films start around when I was 4. I remember my brother had a photo of Chris Reeve at the Fortress of Solitude and because I didn't know any better at the time, I thought that was a photo of the REAL Superman. In my mind he wasn't a fictional character, he was someone in our world that was doing these amazing things. So I can't describe to you how special those films are to me...yes, even the 3rd and 4th ones.

Fast forward to 2005 when I'm all growed up and I know a little more about the world. Superman Returns is being made and I was elated. I was so excited to see a Superman film with modern effects!! We all know how that turned out though. As much as I loved that Singer was utilizing the Superman that Donner had created, Singer's Superman was pretty much as bastardization of the ideals that Superman represents. I tried to like it and I genuinely enjoyed seeing it in theaters, however it's painful to watch now.

I have been following the production of this film ever since it was a planned sequel to Superman Returns. I may not know all the details but I've heard the most juicy bits whenever it happened. I'm usually pretty good at determining the quality of a film by following the production...but this is a whole new beast. Maybe it's because I'm so bitter about SR or because there's so much WRONG with the world that I find it almost impossible to expect things to happen as they should. However, I'm so damn greatful and ecstatic that my expectations have been FAR surpassed....and this is just a friggin' trailer.

The trailer, alone, had EVERYTHING I've ever wanted to see in a post-2000 Superman film. There are very few trailers that I enjoy every second but this trailer does that and more. A 3 minutes trailer, gave me more joy, as a life long Superman fan who idolizes that ideals that he stands for than all of Superman Returns. It takes that bitter taste that I had and replaces it with a blast of the most delicious, mouth-watering sensation one can experience........and again, this is just a trailer.

I cherish the time I have and I often love to stop, slow down and appreciate what little time on this Earth we have........but these next 2 months can't pass by soon enough.

this. Just absolutely love this all.

I have fond memories of my Mom buying me my first cloth caped, squeeze leg punching action Kenner Superman action figure and I would love and carry this guy with me everywhere! I have more great memories of the old films (I think I watched the 3 rd one MANY times then the 4th) not realizing just WHAT a Superman motion picture could actually be...until I witnessed the Superman: Animated Series in 1996. I was blown away with just how unbelievably perfect this was it was truly awesome, great action, stories, Super Villains ZERO campy ********, I was in love. I salivated at the announcement of Tim Burton & Nicholas Cage's Superman Reborn in 1997. I heard Brainiac was going to be in it (one of my favourite villains, had the old Kenner Super Powers one along with Darkseid they were SO cool) & I remember how jacked Cage looked in Con Air, I wasn't worried. Then it fell to crap...speaking of feces, Superman Returs was exactly that. It was a nightmare I couldn't believe how sad I could get over a movie...lol it wasn't just a movie though it was this love I had for this amazing Superhero with endless cinematic possibilities and not to rag on the hearts of people who were in the right place or ALLLL the hard work and slaving it took to get that movie released but SWEET **** man it was boring & just a letdown of eoi proportions

I have purposefully tried not to get excited or invested in this new take on Superman, but after seeing Trailer #3? Excited AND invested in "Man of Steel" is all that I am

4NutzinYoface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #147
Bren
Forevernoob

Quote:
I understand it's your personal preference to rather not have Kal El's existence be a catalyst for the destruction, but it could never technically be his fault, it would 'technically' be Lara and Jor El's fault, if they ignored age old tradition if not law.

Even then, as Kalmart said, it would have still have had to be a build up of MANY incidents, to get to this point.

Last edited by Bren; 04-17-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #148
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

I highly recommend watching the new MOS trailer on AppleTV (for those who have it). It looks amazing on your HDTV!

ArmsHeldOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #149
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

The "I will find him" line reminded me of The Pharaoh from the story of Moses.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #150
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
'If Batman is the way the world sees America, Superman is the way America sees itself,' Zimmer says.

Interesting
I think Lex Luthor is how the world sees America...

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote