The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 0
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - Part 7

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 0
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - Part 6

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
Nathan
...
 
Nathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 44,793
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post
Marc Webb strikes me as a really "safe" kind of guy. He's not imaginative in the way that Nolan is when envisioning these characters
Toning down is imaginative? Yeah, I guess it was really imaginative to go with regular make-up on Joker, so he looks slightly messy, but still completely recognizable otherwise. Have Scarecrow mostly in a suit, god knows no one here ever complained about that. Or getting rid of Bane's luchador mask and just replacing Venom with pain killers.

I still enjoy his takes, but let's not pretend what he did was way more imaginative than what Webb and co. are doing.

__________________
Pomp and Circumstance【Mikasa & Annie】
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Nathan is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
ITheSymbioteI
Side-Kick
 
ITheSymbioteI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 534
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - Part 8

"He's not imaginative in the way that Nolan is when envisioning these characters"

Since when did 'realistic' become 'imaginative'?

ITheSymbioteI is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
WesMan
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 415
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - Part 8

"
Just wanted your guys thoughts.

Is Spiderman your favourite hero?

What made you come to him in first place?

Has Spiderman made a change in your life in any way?

Has Spiderman inspired you in any way?"


1. Yes.

2. Relatability, storylines, extremely humanistic, realistic, personality, the best movie I've ever seen, the best acting I've ever seen, everything.

3. He's always been a part of my life, but after The Amazing Spider-Man, he changed my life. Andrew Garfield changed my life.

4. He inspires me every day subconsciously and every time I read comics, watch cartoons, or watch TASM.


Last edited by WesMan; 04-17-2013 at 01:06 PM.
WesMan is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
ITheSymbioteI
Side-Kick
 
ITheSymbioteI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 534
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - Part 8

Do you wake up to the picture of Andrew Garfield and pray to his holiness every morning?

ITheSymbioteI is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #7
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - Part 8

Would it be an Andrew Garfield shrine, or just a Spider-Man shrine though?

I wonder if he really does like Spidey, or just the Spidey in TAS-M...lol.

Anno_Domini is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #8
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 57,710
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - Part 8

Quote:
"yellow seems more of a sun or fire colour, hense why its not used often"
you mean, like burning hot electricity?

fire is also blue too (infact when it's near it's hottest) both colors work perfectly fine for the representation) i just think it would have been more iconic and clever to see a yellow person than a blue... you don't see yellow people in films very often

__________________

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]

Last edited by spideyboy_1111; 04-17-2013 at 01:47 PM.
spideyboy_1111 is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #9
The Infernal
Life's End Boss
 
The Infernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Scotland
Posts: 6,499
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - Part 8

So the yellow or blue argument is still going, huh?

__________________
Lady Luck is smiling at me. She knows something I don't.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #10
spider_shadow
Taking down the Rhinos!!
 
spider_shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mississauga,ON
Posts: 900
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
"yellow seems more of a sun or fire colour, hense why its not used often"

you mean, like burning hot electricity?

fire is also blue too (infact when it's near it's hottest) both colors work perfectly fine for the representation) i just think it would have been more iconic and clever to see a yellow person than a blue... you don't see yellow people in films very often
I think they portray more of a non-fire colour.In fact,I think had they portrayed yellow,he could've looked more like a fire guy rather than electricity guy.

He would've looked like human torch.

spider_shadow is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #11
WarriorDreamer
Side-Kick
 
WarriorDreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Writersland
Posts: 1,542
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - Part 8

Can I just be rude and say I think Marc Webb has next to no imagination. In the first movie he didn't do anything new. The 'real' and 'raw' thing was a copy of Chris Nolans work in The Batman Begins/ Dark Knight franchise. At least with Sam Raimi, like what he did or not, he had his own style. You could see in the way he shot things and some scenes were totally Sam Raimi. One in particular was the 'horror hospital' in SM2. Marc Webb just copies what other filmmakers have done. Imo.

WarriorDreamer is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 01:53 PM   #12
spider_shadow
Taking down the Rhinos!!
 
spider_shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mississauga,ON
Posts: 900
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDreamer View Post
Can I just be rude and say I think Marc Webb has next to no imagination.
He is experimating rather than keeping things consistant.He has done only one film before TASM so that might be reason and that's fine plus he had a huge pressure for first movie from the studio and that's why the movie didn't do really good.

spider_shadow is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #13
WesMan
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 415
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - Part 8

Does anybody know where I should ask what kind of jacket Andrew's wearing in the last set pics?

WesMan is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #14
Vid Electricz
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,845
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Toning down is imaginative? Yeah, I guess it was really imaginative to go with regular make-up on Joker, so he looks slightly messy, but still completely recognizable otherwise. Have Scarecrow mostly in a suit, god knows no one here ever complained about that. Or getting rid of Bane's luchador mask and just replacing Venom with pain killers.

I still enjoy his takes, but let's not pretend what he did was way more imaginative than what Webb and co. are doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITheSymbioteI View Post
"He's not imaginative in the way that Nolan is when envisioning these characters"

Since when did 'realistic' become 'imaginative'?

Sometimes what you choose not do is just as important as what you do.

Going "big" and making things larger than life/exceedingly fantastical is a childs idea of what being "creative" and "imiginative" is.

It's easy to take for granted now, but before Nolans Batman series, no one had ever made a motion picture with such a daring, toned down version of an iconic character like Batman, who is known for his "colorful", fantastical cast of characters. It opened the floodgates to a slew of copycats "toning down" and "grounding" their characters. So saying that he just made it "realisitic" like it was nothing is looking at it from the wrong perspective.

Vid Electricz is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #15
spider_shadow
Taking down the Rhinos!!
 
spider_shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mississauga,ON
Posts: 900
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesMan View Post
Does anybody know where I should ask what kind of jacket Andrew's wearing in the last set pics?
Over here

spider_shadow is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #16
Spuzz
The Spuzziest of Spuzzes
 
Spuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,707
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDreamer View Post
Can I just be rude and say I think Marc Webb has next to no imagination. In the first movie he didn't do anything new. The 'real' and 'raw' thing was a copy of Chris Nolans work in The Batman Begins/ Dark Knight franchise.
When you're adapting a beloved intellectual property like Spider-Man, imagination is not at the top of the list of things you need to succeed necessarily. A keen eye, diplomacy skills, skills with actors, making Marvel/the fans happy, etc. are far more important. Having said that, the guy has an imagination. The way technology was at the center of everything in TASM was all Marc. He gave it a very specific theme/feel that is subtle.

Spuzz is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #17
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - Part 8

I'm not going to touch the lightning color topic, but the topic of Marc Webb being unimaginative...I will say that it was nice that Captain Stacy was a bit different than how he was in the comics, and then trying to get Peter to stay away from Gwen Stacy. That, I thought was a nice turn of events, but that whole nice idea ended on an awful note when the promise is just broken in a matter of seconds.

Besides that, I can't really say TAS-M felt like something new or imaginative.

Anno_Domini is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #18
spider_shadow
Taking down the Rhinos!!
 
spider_shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mississauga,ON
Posts: 900
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
I'm not going to touch the lightning color topic, but the topic of Marc Webb being unimaginative...I will say that it was nice that Captain Stacy was a bit different than how he was in the comics, and then trying to get Peter to stay away from Gwen Stacy. That, I thought was a nice turn of events, but that whole nice idea ended on an awful note when the promise is just broken in a matter of seconds.

Besides that, I can't really say TAS-M felt like something new or imaginative.
As I said before,the studio got too scared and because of that he had to remove a few scenes which could've potentially made the movie better,imo.The lizard would have looked seriously feriocious.

spider_shadow is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 02:33 PM   #19
Vid Electricz
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,845
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider_shadow View Post
As I said before,the studio got too scared and because of that he had to remove a few scenes which could've potentially made the movie better,imo.The lizard would have looked seriously feriocious.

Fans always fixate on the wrong things that they think would have "improved" the film. Making Lizard look more "ferocious" would not have improved the film at all. The problem was the overall script and direction of the film. A scene of the Lizard eating a dude wouldn't have accomplished much of anything.

Reminds me of the people who complain about the dancing and "emo" hair from SM3, like they ruined the movie. No, the script and overall direction of SM3 is what ruined it.

Vid Electricz is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #20
WarriorDreamer
Side-Kick
 
WarriorDreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Writersland
Posts: 1,542
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider_shadow View Post
He is experimating rather than keeping things consistant.He has done only one film before TASM so that might be reason and that's fine plus he had a huge pressure for first movie from the studio and that's why the movie didn't do really good.
Oh boo hoo. He was under a bit of pressure from the studio and fans to be paid a s**t ton of money to direct a movie about a beloved swinging superhero. Yeah it sounds sooo difficult. Every director is under pressure. Think of the pressure Joss Whedon must have been under. He didnt fail because he knows what he was working with, not because he didnt have pressure.

WarriorDreamer is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #21
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDreamer View Post
Oh boo hoo. He was under a bit of pressure from the studio and fans to be paid a s**t ton of money to direct a movie about a beloved swinging superhero. Yeah it sounds sooo difficult. Every director is under pressure. Think of the pressure Joss Whedon must have been under. He didnt fail because he knows what he was working with, not because he didnt have pressure.
We're not talking about some studio though. We're talking about Sony. It wouldn't be the first time they shat on a Spider-Man film.

Anno_Domini is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #22
marty mcfly
Nobody calls me chicken
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 315
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDreamer View Post
Oh boo hoo. He was under a bit of pressure from the studio and fans to be paid a s**t ton of money to direct a movie about a beloved swinging superhero. Yeah it sounds sooo difficult. Every director is under pressure. Think of the pressure Joss Whedon must have been under. He didnt fail because he knows what he was working with, not because he didnt have pressure.
Call us after you've made your first $230 million dollar budget film. Your sarcasm about how difficult it sounds to get paid a "s**t ton of money to direct a film about a beloved swinging superhero" tells me that you have no clue how difficult it really is. Think about it: a movie studio is putting a beloved franchise in your hands, and they're giving you $230 million dollars to make a successful movie. It has to be successful to them, to fanboys (who basically hate everything except for the source comic material) and to the general public who isn't familiar with characters like Gwen Stacy or the Lizard. Not only that, but you have to make it different in tone, style and visuals to the trilogy that ended just 5 years earlier, which is still fresh in people's minds. That's a tremendous amount of pressure, and it doesn't quite lend itself to thinking outside the box.

I think he did a fine job, and it has a Marc Webb style to it. It's not as dark as Christopher Nolan's style, and it's not as obvious as Sam Raimi's style but personally I thought his horror-hospital scene was cheesy as hell and you'd have to be a hardcore Raimi fan to really "get" the reference. That being said, Raimi didn't incorporate that style until SM2... SM1 wasn't all that jam-packed with style.

Short-story-long, I don't envy Webb's position. If he makes 1 decision, the studio will complain that it's too dark or edgy, or it won't sell enough toys... If he makes another decision, the hardcore fan base will complain that it's too different from the source material... If he tries to be "creative" and come up with something new, he'll be crucified for ruining the character, and if he sticks to a proven method, he'll be crucified for not being creative.

marty mcfly is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #23
spider_shadow
Taking down the Rhinos!!
 
spider_shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mississauga,ON
Posts: 900
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty mcfly View Post
Call us after you've made your first $230 million dollar budget film. Your sarcasm about how difficult it sounds to get paid a "s**t ton of money to direct a film about a beloved swinging superhero" tells me that you have no clue how difficult it really is. Think about it: a movie studio is putting a beloved franchise in your hands, and they're giving you $230 million dollars to make a successful movie. It has to be successful to them, to fanboys (who basically hate everything except for the source comic material) and to the general public who isn't familiar with characters like Gwen Stacy or the Lizard. Not only that, but you have to make it different in tone, style and visuals to the trilogy that ended just 5 years earlier, which is still fresh in people's minds. That's a tremendous amount of pressure, and it doesn't quite lend itself to thinking outside the box.

I think he did a fine job, and it has a Marc Webb style to it. It's not as dark as Christopher Nolan's style, and it's not as obvious as Sam Raimi's style but personally I thought his horror-hospital scene was cheesy as hell and you'd have to be a hardcore Raimi fan to really "get" the reference. That being said, Raimi didn't incorporate that style until SM2... SM1 wasn't all that jam-packed with style.

Short-story-long, I don't envy Webb's position. If he makes 1 decision, the studio will complain that it's too dark or edgy, or it won't sell enough toys... If he makes another decision, the hardcore fan base will complain that it's too different from the source material... If he tries to be "creative" and come up with something new, he'll be crucified for ruining the character, and if he sticks to a proven method, he'll be crucified for not being creative.
This.It might look like he might be able to pull it off but there was tremendous pressure on Webb when he was making it.Rewind back two years ago in 2011 and you will found many people hating on Webb like no tommorow.People were rejecting this movie even before it came out.From casting to spidey's costume to lizard's choice and as I already that there was also studio's pressure to deliver something different from Raimi's franchise.

spider_shadow is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #24
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 57,710
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider_shadow View Post
I think they portray more of a non-fire colour.In fact,I think had they portrayed yellow,he could've looked more like a fire guy rather than electricity guy.

He would've looked like human torch.
except Torch is clearly ORANGE with yellow highlights... Electro would be YELLOW with WHITE highlights...

not only that.. but at least torch would be the only even close comparison... unlike the long list of blue people

__________________

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #25
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows
 
ThePhantasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 10,551
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - Part 8

Oh noes, the director was under a lot of pressure, and that explains why the film was mediocre. Thanks, that will help me enjoy the film a lot more now that I have that perspective.

Not.

A mediocre film is mediocre. Excuses, excuses.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesConceptz View Post
Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.