Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #276
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENERAL RAAM582 View Post
"Realistic" is something that is, well realistic. Something that is nearly 100% plausible. Which, IMO, no superhero film thus far can call themselves.

"Grounded" is something that has unrealistic things but does it in a very serious manner. The Dark Knight is grounded while Adam West Batman isn't grounded. It's not realistic, but it's not too crazy either. It takes it self seriously, doesn't go to far with it's content, has a deep/dark tone, etc.
like i said above. I think they're both interchangeable... To be Realistic.. you have to be grounded (in reality) basically when someone says things have to be grounded it's short for saying "grounded in reality". which of course means... "to be realistic"

this doesn't mean the film needs to be 100% realistic.. just that it makes you think "maybe this really could happen" The nolan films are a great example of that... if you pick them apart in minute details you can probably fine some remarks of "yeah that probably would never happen in real life" but... for the most part they play by our real world laws and rules of science physics etc...

thus those films are dubbed "grounded" and "realistic"

that being said... because something is "grounded" it doesn't mean it's realistic. For instance the Marvel Cinematic Universe is a very grounded franchise... but it's not realistic in our world. Basically... the nolan films bring those characters to our world.. and make you believe they could exist in our world... while the Marvel Cinematic Universe takes us to THEIR world... and lets you believe that world could actually exist. if that makes sense?

but yeah, for the most part those words are interchangeable.

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 04-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #277
mayo23
Side-Kick

I'd argue that the nolan films bring us into "his" world, and while the Marvel films brings us into "their" world, it's much more closer to our world.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #278
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
Blue Electro in the comics is also incredibly generic... if you saw him in a line up with the rest of the U-foes he'd fit in perfectly. And they're right up their with being the most generic villains in comics. Super Heroes, and Supervillains I feel are always suppose to be recognizable for who they are... and blue electro isn't very recognizable out of a very tiny minority who followed Ultimate Spider-man all this time. he has a 10 year history vs the 616's 50 years... it's not even a question which look is more iconic. That being said... the 616 (mask) not suit. is pretty dang cheesy and i wouldn't want a literal translation, but like i mentioned before, there's ways of throwing nods to it (like hawkeye) make electro yellow (or keep his skin tone and give him some yellow embellishes and use his electricity to form minute details that resemble the classic costume.

Totally agree. The "glowing blue guy" (a safe, uninspired choice) with electric powers (the most generic of all super powers), in a black skintight suit. No imagination whatsoever.

People who try to validate TASM2 Electro's costume by referring to the ultimate character remind me of the fanboys who tried to prove that the TASM costume was "from the comics" because something kinda, sorta resembling it a little bit appeared in a one-shot miniseries. Nothing iconic, not memorable and no history behind it.

You are 100% correct that they could have achieved some balance between modernizing the costume and still paying homage to the classic one at the same time. Whedon did it, Raimi did it, Nolan did it. it works.

Between this completely new look and a completely new backstory for the character, keeping only his powers- I don't get the feeling that I'll be seeing the character of "Electro" brought to screen at all. Might as well give him a new name and make it a brand new character.

Last edited by Vid Electricz; 04-19-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:27 PM   #279
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo23 View Post
I'd argue that the nolan films bring us into "his" world, and while the Marvel films brings us into "their" world, it's much more closer to our world.
that's semantics though. Nolan's world feels alot more like our world imo. i don't really think the land of an iron man, thunder god, etc.. feels like our world. But they pull if off in a way where you think "hey maybe that could exist"

[=]
Old 04-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #280
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
there isn't a difference.... i was using those words interchangeably. which they are....

this doesn't necessarily pertain to you.. but sometimes id.....
ugh i feel like im talking to 12 year olds sometimes.... (ironically i feel that's why so many choose not to put their ages on here in fear of invalidation)
Not that it matters but I'm in my 30s and I'm aware of my own interpretation or meanings of the words 'realistic' and 'grounded.'

I was interested in knowing how you interpreted them. It was a simple question without any sort of agenda behind it.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #281
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post
Totally agree. The "glowing blue guy" (a safe, uninspired choice) with electric powers (the most generic of all super powers), in a black skintight suit. No imagination whatsoever.

People who try to validate TASM2 Electro's costume by referring to the ultimate character remind me of the fanboys who tried to prove that the TASM costume was "from the comics" because something kinda, sorta resembling it a little bit appeared in a one-shot miniseries. Nothing iconic, not memorable and no history behind it.

You are 100% correct that they could have achieved some balance between modernizing the costume and still paying homage to the classic one at the same time. Whedon did it, Raimi did it, Nolan did it.

Between this completely new look and a completely new backstory for the character, keeping only his powers- I don't get the feeling that I'll be seeing the character of "Electro" brought to screen at all. Might as well give him a new name and make it a brand new character.
at least the "loser" part is intact it seems... which Max always was... one of the first few issues in New Avengers where after he's broken out of the raft.. and he's pretty pathetic cowering in front of them is a great example of that.
Electro doesn't have much of an origin originally anyway.. so i'm perfectly fine with some embellishments because his origin is also pretty generic "electrician who get's struck by lightening"

i at least hope they do keep the electrician part of him, even if he works at oscorp

[=]
Old 04-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #282
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateWebhead View Post
Not that it matters but I'm in my 30s and I'm aware of my own interpretation or meanings of the words 'realistic' and 'grounded.'

I was interested in knowing how you interpreted them. It was a simple question without any sort of agenda behind it.
thank you for letting me understand that better. I wasn't sure if it was a legit question or bait. (which alot of people do around here) So i wanted to be sure i also stated that it didn't necessarily refer to you. And i apologize for any offense

[=]
Old 04-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #283
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
thank you for letting me understand that better. I wasn't sure if it was a legit question or bait. (which alot of people do around here) So i wanted to be sure i also stated that it didn't necessarily refer to you. And i apologize for any offense
No offense taken. You prob don't know me all that well but I'm pretty level-headed about these topics...there's times I wonder if I even fit in around here.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #284
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:
at least the "loser" part is intact it seems... which Max always was... one of the first few issues in New Avengers where after he's broken out of the raft.. and he's pretty pathetic cowering in front of them is a great example of that.
Electro doesn't have much of an origin originally anyway.. so i'm perfectly fine with some embellishments because his origin is also pretty generic "electrician who get's struck by lightening"

i at least hope they do keep the electrician part of him, even if he works at oscorp

My solution to that is: Pick a character who does not need to be completely revised from the ground up until they are completely unrecognizable.

Spider-Man has maybe a dozen interesting, unique rogues to choose from. Why go with the guy with the most generic powers who needs to be changed to the point that he bares zero resemblance to his comic book counterpart? Part of the fun of these movies are seeing characters you've read about and loved for years, brought to life on screen. I don't think I'll be getting that with "Electro".

I just get the feeling that there's just very little critical thinking going on in the creative department here (this applies to the writers, directors, costume designers...)

BTW: Foxx descirbed Dillon as an "electrical genius guy"...

Old 04-19-2013, 06:45 PM   #285
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateWebhead View Post
No offense taken. You prob don't know me all that well but I'm pretty level-headed about these topics...there's times I wonder if I even fit in around here.
i understand the feeling completely... i think i'm pretty level headed about most things (up until im driven mad that is ... haha) ive been on these boards far too long

[=]
Old 04-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #286
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
My solution to that is: Pick a character who does not need to be completely revised from the ground up until they are completely unrecognizable.

Spider-Man has maybe a dozen interesting, unique rogues to choose from. Why go with the guy with the most generic powers who needs to be changed to the point that he bares zero resemblance to his comic book counterpart? Part of the fun of these movies are seeing characters you've read about and loved for years, brought to life on screen. I don't think I'll be getting that with "Electro".

I just get the feeling that there's just very little critical thinking going on in the creative department here (this applies to the writers, directors, costume designers...)

I get it with some aspects... and other's I don't.. Truthfully (an as much as i loved both molina and dafoe's performances) and as much as i loved doc ock's looks... I do think the Spider-man Villains have easily suffered the most from being translated to film

Norman Osborn -- (closest to perfect... if the costume was different he might have scored an A+ for me)

Doc Ock -- (perfect look, great actor, good story. he also would have scored an A+ if it weren't for the fact they gave him Connor's personal story and struggle) that was a huge mistake for me... and it honestly didn't make his character any better for me)

then came... the worst...

Lizard (he's third place for me... the design was a bit goofy, but it did stay true to the first 100 some issues of amazing (he honestly to my knowledge didn't gain a snout until the 70s or 80s when mcfarlane drew him) i like the snout look better but it wasn't a massive deal for me in all honesty, because i respected the homage. I loved that they even briefly gave him his lab coat. What did bother me though, was completely neutering Connor's personal story and struggle.. which is BEYOND perfect for film.

Sandman (4th place), good visuals but horrible back story. Not every one needs to be connected to peter parker... some people are just BAD and abuse the super powers they're given. Sandman didn't need to be uncle ben's killer nor did he need to have a heartwarming story involving his daughter... it didn't make the character any better at all...

Venom (5th), all i can say... is "topher grace"

i'm fine with someone like electro getting fleshed out... as long as he's still a bad guy, and at least "feels" like electro. But this look certainly doesn't help me with that.

[=]

Last edited by spideyboy_1111; 04-19-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #287
Valkyrje
Monstah Lobstah

Dafoe's a great actor, but his Norman is overrated IMO.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #288
GoldGoblin
Side-Kick

1.Colm Feore was King Laufey in Thor and now he is in this spidey movie,could he be playing the same character in this movie?

2.In Sin City Yellow Bas#ard was in blue makeup because yellow makeup blended too much with the green screen.So they had to digitally turn the blue makeup into yellow.

Cast Joe Manganiello for Kraven the Hunter!
Old 04-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #289
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldGoblin View Post
1.Colm Feore was King Laufey in Thor and now he is in this spidey movie,could he be playing the same character in this movie?

2.In Sin City Yellow Bas#ard was in blue makeup because yellow makeup blended too much with the green screen.So they had to digitally turn the blue makeup into yellow.
Green screen at times is also a blue screen. Its a possibility i suppose though seems unlikely since their was no green screen placed in time square. The way green screening works is that they use the chroma key to pick a color to make disappear or replaced by another object. Id be shocked if this was what they were doing. But id love it!

[=]
Old 04-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #290
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:

Difference is that Ultimate Spider-Man is the biggest Spider-Man book after The Amazing Spider-Man. The one-shot was just...well...a one-shot that nobody even remembers. lol

Quote:
You are 100% correct that they could have achieved some balance between modernizing the costume and still paying homage to the classic one at the same time. Whedon did it, Raimi did it, Nolan did it. it works.

Uh, I can link the exact same backstory. Right from the comics. The 616 comics, no less.

And what about Raimi's completely different backstory and motivation for Doc Ock, which I'm assuming you don't mind and thought was "still great" since you brought Raimi earlier?

Old 04-19-2013, 10:21 PM   #291
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
No. Not really. That's like saying getting hit by a car and breaking your arm is better than getting hit by a car and breaking your leg. You are still getting hit by a car, and in this case, you are still making a stupid, childish, and reaching joke/reference as an excuse justify not liking something.
The real question to ask with this "getting hit by a car" example is...will my shoes be flying off my feet when I do get hit?

But you're not really making a point. I'm not making "stupid, childish" jokes/references at all to justify my disliking. I always said I would not want a blue Electro from the beginning, so I don't need to justify anything by inserting jokes or references, but when there are easy references to make, it's then only stupid and childish when someone ELSE tries to then make fun of a yellow Electro and "getting back" with an actual stupid and childish reference.

Quote:
yeah...

i think if you told that joke to a group of people you may... just maybe... get 1 laugh out of it if you're lucky
I don't think even one would laugh at it tbh, lol. More or less would be a head scratcher because the two doesn't even look the same. At least a Dr. Manhattan reference makes sense when you put the two together, lol.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:37 AM   #292
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

i wonder if no more marc webb tweets from here on out. maybe his plan was to just go up to day 50.

www.redlettermedia.com
Old 04-20-2013, 01:48 AM   #293
spider_shadow
Taking down the Rhinos!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulsor Blast View Post
i wonder if no more marc webb tweets from here on out. maybe his plan was to just go up to day 50.
You maybe right.Maybe his plan was to go uptil Electro's reveal and make the fans hyped up until teaser trailer comes out which I anticipate maybe in late summer or early fall.If that's the case it might be 5-6 before teaser comes out.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:59 AM   #294
spider_shadow
Taking down the Rhinos!!

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
The real question to ask with this "getting hit by a car" example is...will my shoes be flying off my feet when I do get hit?

But you're not really making a point. I'm not making "stupid, childish" jokes/references at all to justify my disliking. I always said I would not want a blue Electro from the beginning, so I don't need to justify anything by inserting jokes or references, but when there are easy references to make, it's then only stupid and childish when someone ELSE tries to then make fun of a yellow Electro and "getting back" with an actual stupid and childish reference.

I don't think even one would laugh at it tbh, lol. More or less would be a head scratcher because the two doesn't even look the same. At least a Dr. Manhattan reference makes sense when you put the two together, lol.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #295
Nicko-Ray
"On va voir."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulsor Blast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider_shadow View Post
You maybe right.Maybe his plan was to go uptil Electro's reveal and make the fans hyped up until teaser trailer comes out which I anticipate maybe in late summer or early fall.If that's the case it might be 5-6 before teaser comes out.
Nah! C'mon guys no way. I think he's simply lagging in the tweet dept. I think he'll continue but not as persistent as before for whatever reason.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #296
SpideyFan866
Hero Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider_shadow View Post
This.

Sigh..... I read over what you guys were saying about the electric blue look being "generic", but just because its a "generic" look, doesn't mean its bad. It's a good, even great, look, which is why there's a good amount of characters with variations on the look and different ways of executing it, and honestly, that's the most important thing. Execution. This look can be executed in a way where it does come off as just being a stereotypical "electric/icy" blue villain/hero and yeah, it can feel very generic. However, I don't see this as a problem for ASM2.

Webb has executed the "icy electric blue" Electro look in a way that, IMO, makes it fresh and visually interesting, even with the lack of finished fx.

I understand where you guys are coming from when you said they could have made him a regular looking guy like the 616 comics and just have revised the classic suit, and you are right. However, due to the version of Electro they appear to be drawing from (The Spectacular Spider-Man's Electro), they look they've gone for is the best.

Could they have done it in a different color or executed somewhat differently? Yeah, but I have faith it will still look great regardless if they decided to use the green and yellow costume and whether they made him look like a regular guy, scarred, electric blue, or any other color you can think of.

They've already shown there willingness to draw from multiple iterations of these characters. Whether or not they choose the version we prefer is neither here or there, all we, as fans, can do is sit back and hope that whatever version they choose to adapt looks great and works well in the final product.

Last edited by SpideyFan866; 04-20-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #297
Mr. Dent
Banned User

How can the electric blue look generic when he has vains coming out of his face and it will obviously be glowing and exuding electricity in post?

Old 04-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #298
Marvel Spider
Amazing.

Looks like Dane will be filming today.

http://instagram.com/p/YVEMTESjEB/

Old 04-20-2013, 12:15 PM   #299
Nicko-Ray
"On va voir."

"@MarcW: Day 51. No time for a change."

Old 04-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #300