Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #26
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty mcfly View Post
Call us after you've made your first $230 million dollar budget film. Your sarcasm about how difficult it sounds to get paid a "s**t ton of money to direct a film about a beloved swinging superhero" tells me that you have no clue how difficult it really is. Think about it: a movie studio is putting a beloved franchise in your hands, and they're giving you $230 million dollars to make a successful movie. It has to be successful to them, to fanboys (who basically hate everything except for the source comic material) and to the general public who isn't familiar with characters like Gwen Stacy or the Lizard. Not only that, but you have to make it different in tone, style and visuals to the trilogy that ended just 5 years earlier, which is still fresh in people's minds. That's a tremendous amount of pressure, and it doesn't quite lend itself to thinking outside the box.

I think he did a fine job, and it has a Marc Webb style to it. It's not as dark as Christopher Nolan's style, and it's not as obvious as Sam Raimi's style but personally I thought his horror-hospital scene was cheesy as hell and you'd have to be a hardcore Raimi fan to really "get" the reference. That being said, Raimi didn't incorporate that style until SM2... SM1 wasn't all that jam-packed with style.

Short-story-long, I don't envy Webb's position. If he makes 1 decision, the studio will complain that it's too dark or edgy, or it won't sell enough toys... If he makes another decision, the hardcore fan base will complain that it's too different from the source material... If he tries to be "creative" and come up with something new, he'll be crucified for ruining the character, and if he sticks to a proven method, he'll be crucified for not being creative.

I found the style quite bland. The muddy cinematography didn't help much, but I didn't find any really interesting, or stand-out directorial choices in TASM.

As for the last part of your post- You make it sound like he's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. This is partly true, but also, this perspective is mostly amplified by the amount of whining fanboys one finds on the internet. For the most part, TASM was *fine* (acting, costumes, effects, etc...), the problem for me, was that Webb didn't seem to have the confidence or know how to accomplish his vision. True, he may have had the studio mandating a lot- and I'm pretty sure he's assigned blame for choices he had no real say in, but these are the consequences for accepting his role as "director for hire".

Remember, Sam Raimi, Chris Nolan and Joss Whedon also had to butt heads with stupid studio execs and have their every move scrutinized by whining fanboys, but their prior experience and directorial efforts allowed their vision to come through. I just don't think that a number of music videos and one feature film (whose success can be attributed more to the writing and acting than the directing) was enough for Webb to really learn what he would need to know to helm a film like this. It reminds me almost exactly of Fox hiring Tim Story to direct the Fantastic Four film. Same studio groupthink, same tepid result.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #27
spider_shadow
Taking down the Rhinos!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
except Torch is clearly ORANGE with yellow highlights... Electro would be YELLOW with WHITE highlights...

not only that.. but at least torch would be the only even close comparison... unlike the long list of blue people
As I said maybe they wanted to go electricity route hence the blue.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #28
AF3619
WOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
Oh noes, the director was under a lot of pressure, and that explains why the film was mediocre. Thanks, that will help me enjoy the film a lot more now that I have that perspective.

Not.

A mediocre film is mediocre. Excuses, excuses.
i don´t think is mediocre, it has problems but at least for me isn´t
but it has huge missteps i hope Marc is like the one´s that learn from his mistakes and delievers better this time arround

Old 04-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #29
ThePhantasm
Feedin' the Wampa

I thought TASM was mediocre, but I have great hopes for the sequel.

Countdown to Mysterious Heroism | H.E.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #30
Nathan

I enjoyed Webb's "mediocre" take more than Raimi's first attempt.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #31
Spideyfan93
Hayley Atwell I love you!

Hate nothing more than when people blow certain blockbuster film opinions out of proportion.

Amazing Spider-Man may not be a particularly good movie, but I believe so. To say it was mediocre, is fair but to call it out as some abomination to cinema is just ridiculously wrong. The intentions and hearts were in the right place, the script and material just lacked. The original Spider-Man is an overall more enjoyable film because the story was a one knot and there was much iconic imagery.

People are just desensitized I feel. But the sequels have great potential.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 04-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #32
AF3619
WOOO!

again is all opinion and we should respect each one of them, i say that to avoid another disscussion about what franchise is superior

Old 04-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #33
WarriorDreamer
Side-Kick

Marty mcfly, yes, it is definitely difficult in many ways. But the word pressure is something every director is under. I myself wouldnt think it was easy. But meh, if I was doing it I would stick to the source material, screw the general audience. If you dont like the source materiel and the character created in the comic books, you can go screw yourself, watch an original movie, there are so many out there.

I would like to take it upon myself to create a concept for a Spider-Man origin story, although I am unfortunatly not a director so I would not be able to do it at this time. (I would like to be a producer though!) I would like to think that making it close to different source materials would draw in the public audience anyway because he is just a likeable character.

Anyway, not to crap on Marc Webb anyway and not to sound cocky, he did do a decent job but I actually think I could come up with a better storyline than him in my opinion, that could please all fanbases. If you think thats arrogant that is just what I think.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #34
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDreamer View Post
Anyway, not to crap on Marc Webb anyway and not to sound cocky, he did do a decent job but I actually think I could come up with a better storyline than him in my opinion, that could please all fanbases. If you think thats arrogant that is just what I think.
Now THAT is just impossible

Free Original Music
Old 04-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #35
Anno_Domini
Banned User

I'll be on the camp that thought TAS-M was mediocre at best as well.

I do have high hopes for the sequel though and who knows, perhaps after getting the reboot over with, Webb can finally "breath" with the sequel as directors often do when it comes to CB sequels.

Quote:
but I actually think I could come up with a better storyline than him in my opinion, that could please all fanbases.
Trust me, this is not arrogant, it just sounds ridiculous. No one can make a film that will appease to every single fan.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #36
AF3619
WOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post

Trust me, this is not arrogant, it just sounds ridiculous. No one can make a film that will appease to every single fan.
exactly, even some hate the dark knight trilogy or Raimi´s spider-man

Old 04-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #37
WesMan
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF3619 View Post
again is all opinion and we should respect each one of them, i say that to avoid another disscussion about what franchise is superior
There's nothing really to discuss when it's a fact that Marc Webb's franchise is superior.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #38
Nicko-Ray
"On va voir."

"@MarcW: Day 50. My crew confused why I transformed the lower half of my body into a camera."

Old 04-17-2013, 05:11 PM   #39
WarriorDreamer
Side-Kick

I do not think anyone could please every fan, because some like to hate for the sake of it. But someone could have a good go at pleasing the Spider-Man fans, Amazing and Ultimate as well as by defualt pleasing general movie-going fans just because it's a good movie. If it features action, humor, good script and good looking stars it most definitely would pull in the general audience. But in actual fact, when I consider how I would do an origin, ignoring Marc Webbs Spider-Man, some elements do remain, such as having a stronger link to technology and science. Although that could also be no-brainer after Raimi's movie which sorta didn't have much of that aspect going on.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #40
Nicko-Ray
"On va voir."

Well according to our highly anticipated Day 50 photo, I guess Marc Webb is more secretive than I thought. I guess he'll only give us something fun when we least expect it.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #41
AF3619
WOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesMan View Post
There's nothing really to discuss when it's a fact that Marc Webb's franchise is superior.
while i like TASM it doesn´t beat SM2 so, no there are people who think different and THAT´S a fact

Old 04-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #42
spider_shadow
Taking down the Rhinos!!

Quote:
I do have high hopes for the sequel though and who knows, perhaps after getting the reboot over with, Webb can finally "breath" with the sequel as directors often do when it comes to CB sequels.
If you felt the same for Spider-Man 2 then yeah otherwise I don't know.I think this time around many feel it will be better than Spider-Man 2 and its true because not only are we getting a new story but a new villan which has never been done before.This is why many are hyped up.

Quote:
IMO,pleasing 80% to 90% audience should be enough as there will be haters for sure and as they say "Haters gonna hate"

Old 04-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #43
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:
Marty mcfly, yes, it is definitely difficult in many ways. But the word pressure is something every director is under. I myself wouldnt think it was easy. But meh, if I was doing it I would stick to the source material, screw the general audience. If you dont like the source materiel and the character created in the comic books, you can go screw yourself, watch an original movie, there are so many out there.

I would like to take it upon myself to create a concept for a Spider-Man origin story, although I am unfortunatly not a director so I would not be able to do it at this time. (I would like to be a producer though!) I would like to think that making it close to different source materials would draw in the public audience anyway because he is just a likeable character.

It's a good job that Webb didn't "come up with the storyline" then. You're talking about the writers. If you think you could have written a better script, I'd love to see it.

Armchair boasting is easy, naive and yes, arrogant. It's like watching an olympic athlete perform or a skilled painter work and saying: "yeah, I could do it better." Empty and contentless.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #44
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:

Which Spidey film was praised by the American Film Institute?

Old 04-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #45
ThePhantasm
Feedin' the Wampa

Quote:

Countdown to Mysterious Heroism | H.E.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #46
spider_shadow
Taking down the Rhinos!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post
It's a good job that Webb didn't "come up with the storyline" then. You're talking about the writers. If you think you could have written a better script, I'd love to see it.

Armchair boasting is easy, naive and yes, arrogant. It's like watching an olympic athlete perform or a skilled painter work and saying: "yeah, I could do it better." Empty and contentless.
Agreed.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #47
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider_shadow View Post
If you felt the same for Spider-Man 2 then yeah otherwise I don't know.I think this time around many feel it will be better than Spider-Man 2 and its true because not only are we getting a new story but a new villan which has never been done before.This is why many are hyped up.
Even if I liked the '02 film, you can still see that Raimi had time to "breath" with Spider-Man 2 and gave us one of the best CBM villains ever in the form of Molina's Doc Ock, which was, a villain that had never been done before. Webb's Green Goblin will be compared, MOS's Zod will be compared because these guys have been done before. There are still questions looming on who did it better as Joker even.

Quote:
IMO,pleasing 80% to 90% audience should be enough as there will be haters for sure and as they say "Haters gonna hate"
But even doing such, the "haters" will rise up and say said film didn't please that majority. I can guarantee 80% of CB fans enjoyed TDKR, but you wouldn't hear of it on a forum like SHH because the "haters" would say you would be wrong.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #48
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:

Yes, just like it's a fact that Coke is better than Pepsi and Reebok is better than Nike.

Ah, to be so very naive.

Last edited by Vid Electricz; 04-17-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #49
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Saying a film has already become superior to a series of three films is so damn laughable.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #50
socool
True

EDIT: Nevermind.

Closed Thread