Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 01:48 AM   #301
Broseph44
We Are Groot

Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - Part 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
As a long-time (since 1974) Marvelphile, I have a sincere question I'd like to ask the ones who are shocked and appalled at Mandarin's portrayal in this movie:

.....where the **** have you alleged Mandarin "fans" been hiding these past five decades???

Seriously. NOBODY has been a goddamn fan of that Fu Manchu stereotype *ever.* If they were, I would've seen Mandarin cosplays at all the comic-cons. I would've seen Mandarin on Top 10 lists of favorite Marvel villains anywhere on the interwebs. I would've seen Mandarin action figures and Heroclix and trading cards and other merch, and I would've seen them selling like hotcakes because he's, you know, so damn popular in Marvel fandom. (insert: )

Mandarin has *never* been a popular villain. Ever. Iron Man's rogues gallery is notoriously lame amongst fandom; Hulk is the only one with a worse villain lineup than Tony Stark. Mandarin has been Stark's *most common* adversary, but to grant him the status of "nemesis" is to elevate him to the likes of The Joker, Lex Luthor, Green Goblin, Dr. Doom, Red Skull, Magneto or Sinestro, and nothing could be farther from the truth. Hell, even the cartoons that have tried to portray Mandarin have wound up not knowing a decent way to portray him, and they've all wound up making him look even more ridiculous than he already is in the comics.

And all the over "zomg Mandarin isn't Chinese....they're just sucking up to the Chinese markets...." Good god. Favs already established that Mandarin --- if and when he ever showed up --- wouldn't be Chinese. Since 2008, Ten Rings has been yer basic Islamofascism 101 jihadists, based in Afghanistan. We knew damn well from IM1 that Mandarin was implicitly a Middle Eastern terrorist instead of a funky Chinese Fu Manchu.

Look, if any of you whiners want to make "The Mandarin Twist" (sounds like it could be pretty good, with some vodka and rum) a dealbreaker and go ahead and boycott, feel free. But quit acting like they've ruined some "cherished" Marvel icon....they haven't. Instead, they took a highly offensive, moronic and outdated Asian stereotype that Stan Lee would rather just sweep under the rug and they turned him into a topical character that makes the Iron Man series more contemporary and relevant. If you can't see that and accept it, then you really never understood what they're trying to do with the MCU in the first place.

Just had to get that off *my* chest.
Bravo sir, best post. Well said.

I believe in Ben Affleck.

Hal: Were we ever truly friends?
Sinestro: That’s the tragedy of all of this, Jordan. Hal, we’ll always be friends.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:57 AM   #302
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by echostation View Post
Again can anyone PLEASE whose seen the film answer:

Can Anyone describe in spoilers please how Ellen Brandt is in the movie? Does she totally beat the **** out of Tony in the film? I hear Tony has multiple run ins with her and she totally kicks his ass?
The answer is
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
"Powerless blue people lack character development and thus confuse the audience."

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 04-19-2013, 02:21 AM   #303
Caboose
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
No, he's also a 60's asian sterotype who's apparent vast popularity is apparently only now being discovered.
Well said.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:10 AM   #304
Adder
Side-Kick

hi i'm new. Wow I read the "mandarin twist" spoiler and I agree with the fans that dislike this.

of all the phase 2 films IM3 has been the one I'm least excited about. I was at comic con last year and I got the vibe that Shane black was taking the series away from the more comic book faithfull geekiness of avengers. I had hoped avengers' success would bring out more of that comic book geekiness in future films.

guess I was right about black.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:22 AM   #305
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
hi i'm new. Wow I read the "mandarin twist" spoiler and I agree with the fans that dislike this.

of all the phase 2 films IM3 has been the one I'm least excited about. I was at comic con last year and I got the vibe that Shane black was taking the series away from the more comic book faithfull geekiness of avengers. I had hoped avengers' success would bring out more of that comic book geekiness in future films.

guess I was right about black.
Marvel still had to sign off on it and apparently that's the direction they wanted to take it.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:49 AM   #306
J.Howlett

I will say this about the spoilers; it does sounds like an ending to the Iron Man saga with Downey as the character. It comes full circle. I'll give it that.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:59 AM   #307
RaZaTrOn
Side-Kick

I read the spoilers and agree with the majority of people on here who think so what? These films are not direct adaptations of the comics if they were direct adaptations they'd be boring. Having this interpretation by the company that CREATED the characters is refreshing. The fans that feel entitled need to get off their high horse, saying you're a life long fan and you've been disrespected or what not is utter rubbish. I'm a life long fan and I feel PRIVILEGED to be alive where I not only get to read the characters I love but I get to see them take over the world. What once was quite niche has exploded in popularity and that's why we get to see our favourite characters across so many medias. I'm pleased to be a comic book fan in this period of the industry.

More importantly I'd love to see Ghost in the next film, maybe building up to the Thunderbolts (Ellis).

Old 04-19-2013, 04:11 AM   #308
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
I will say this about the spoilers; it does sounds like an ending to the Iron Man saga with Downey as the character. It comes full circle. I'll give it that.
I'm getting that feeling from listening to the press conferences. This looks to be the last solo IM he does and TA2 is going to be his last Marvel role. Sounds like the injury he suffered on-set for IM3 made him realize he can't do the role forever and that he may like to do something else with his career now that he's getting older. He'd be around 50 for TA2 and then 52-55 for IM4, which may be too old for him and Marvel may just do the James Bond (recast but keep the backstory they've built up for him.)

Last edited by Webfoot Hero; 04-19-2013 at 04:25 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:17 AM   #309
UnionJack
In training at MI:13

Anyone know if Pepper bites the dust?!

http://www.crhodesdesign.com/

Old 04-19-2013, 04:28 AM   #310
Adder
Side-Kick

Quote:
they should put the IM franchise on ice for a while. bring back Downey for avengers sequels and other possible crossovers only.

to keep the MCU from getting stale marvel/disney should commit themselves to trilogies at a minimum for the solo films so long as they remain successful. bring back thor 3 and cap 3 for phase 3 but no IM 4.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:29 AM   #311
spidey-dude
Y.N.W.A

having seen it I think it will be the last Iron Man film.... however I think he will be in Avengers 2

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Old 04-19-2013, 04:33 AM   #312
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey-dude View Post
having seen it I think it will be the last Iron Man film.... however I think he will be in Avengers 2
With how Feige seems intent on bringing in new characters/franchises, certainly looks like solo IM movies are done for awhile.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:38 AM   #313
spidey-dude
Y.N.W.A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
With how Feige seems intent on bringing in new characters/franchises, certainly looks like solo IM movies are done for awhile.
I really think it's all in RDJ's hands tbh, they ended it in such a way that if he never turns up again you wouldn't be too surprised because they don't know what he is going to do now his contract is up, but I think they just wouldn't leave him out Avengers 2

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Old 04-19-2013, 04:41 AM   #314
J.Howlett

Quote:
I'm getting that feeling from listening to the press conferences. This looks to be the last solo IM he does and TA2 is going to be his last Marvel role. Sounds like the injury he suffered on-set for IM3 made him realize he can't do the role forever and that he may like to do something else with his career now that he's getting older. He'd be around 50 for TA2 and then 52-55 for IM4, which may be too old for him and Marvel may just do the James Bond (recast but keep the backstory they've built up for him.)
Hence the supposedly last line of the film where he goes "I'm still Iron Man but I'm Tony Stark." Nice circle back to the end of the first film.

I agree. He'll be the exclamation point in Avengers 2 but when they make Iron Man 4, it'll be a whole new cast.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:46 AM   #315
fixxxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
As a long-time (since 1974) Marvelphile, I have a sincere question I'd like to ask the ones who are shocked and appalled at Mandarin's portrayal in this movie:

.....where the **** have you alleged Mandarin "fans" been hiding these past five decades???

Seriously. NOBODY has been a goddamn fan of that Fu Manchu stereotype *ever.* If they were, I would've seen Mandarin cosplays at all the comic-cons. I would've seen Mandarin on Top 10 lists of favorite Marvel villains anywhere on the interwebs. I would've seen Mandarin action figures and Heroclix and trading cards and other merch, and I would've seen them selling like hotcakes because he's, you know, so damn popular in Marvel fandom. (insert: )

Mandarin has *never* been a popular villain. Ever. Iron Man's rogues gallery is notoriously lame amongst fandom; Hulk is the only one with a worse villain lineup than Tony Stark. Mandarin has been Stark's *most common* adversary, but to grant him the status of "nemesis" is to elevate him to the likes of The Joker, Lex Luthor, Green Goblin, Dr. Doom, Red Skull, Magneto or Sinestro, and nothing could be farther from the truth. Hell, even the cartoons that have tried to portray Mandarin have wound up not knowing a decent way to portray him, and they've all wound up making him look even more ridiculous than he already is in the comics.

And all the over "zomg Mandarin isn't Chinese....they're just sucking up to the Chinese markets...." Good god. Favs already established that Mandarin --- if and when he ever showed up --- wouldn't be Chinese. Since 2008, Ten Rings has been yer basic Islamofascism 101 jihadists, based in Afghanistan. We knew damn well from IM1 that Mandarin was implicitly a Middle Eastern terrorist instead of a funky Chinese Fu Manchu.

Look, if any of you whiners want to make "The Mandarin Twist" (sounds like it could be pretty good, with some vodka and rum) a dealbreaker and go ahead and boycott, feel free. But quit acting like they've ruined some "cherished" Marvel icon....they haven't. Instead, they took a highly offensive, moronic and outdated Asian stereotype that Stan Lee would rather just sweep under the rug and they turned him into a topical character that makes the Iron Man series more contemporary and relevant. If you can't see that and accept it, then you really never understood what they're trying to do with the MCU in the first place.

Just had to get that off *my* chest.
In the parlance of our message board-y times, THIS, THIS and a thousand times THIS.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:49 AM   #316
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Hence the supposedly last line of the film where he goes "I'm still Iron Man but I'm Tony Stark." Nice circle back to the end of the first film.

I agree. He'll be the exclamation point in Avengers 2 but when they make Iron Man 4, it'll be a whole new cast.
Kind of neat line if true. That and the possible removal of the arc reactor from his chest seems to be them wrapping things up yet leaving a little room for possible return in TA2 and/or IM4. Stark seems to have done a full character run so I could see RDJ being satisfied with that and moving on to other roles.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:20 AM   #317
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

As usual it's risky to read threads at such times. Most people have been great at spoiler-tagging the spoilers but still some have talked about the effects of the twist without tags, which makes several aspects of the twist pretty obvious and therefor spoils a lot anyway. Not very fun.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:23 AM   #318
J.Howlett

Quote:
Kind of neat line if true. That and the possible removal of the arc reactor from his chest seems to be them wrapping things up yet leaving a little room for possible return in TA2 and/or IM4. Stark seems to have done a full character run so I could see RDJ being satisfied with that and moving on to other roles.
Yeah, considering I think Avengers is mostly his film than anybody else's, you could definitely say that he did a full character arc from the first film. Of all the characters (mainly because he's had more films), he has changed the most.

I'm just hoping it's better than Iron Man 2. After the first Iron Man film, I always thought that should go with the futurist Tony Stark from the Extremis comic and the building of the suits kind of points to that, even if the comic went a different, more helping of the regular folks route.

Everything sounds interesting except for the twist. Even without seeing it yet, I'm critical of why do the twist instead of being up in arms about it not being the Mandarin from the comics. I could give two ****s about that aspect. ADAPTATION.

We'll see.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:23 AM   #319
UnionJack

I'm fine with no more IM films for a few years when it comes back with a new cast.

I do see RDJ doing Avengers 2 and then staying on as a producer.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:51 AM   #320
spidey-dude
Y.N.W.A

before IM3 i thought they might kill him off in Avengers 2.... now im not so sure, but still wouldn't be surprised

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Old 04-19-2013, 06:08 AM   #321
Kingdork
Side-Kick

I can't blame any of you guys for being pissed about the Mandarin twist, since I was pissed too when I first saw it happening. I think you should have waited to see it on the big screen anyway, BUT... I can't stress enough that it really works within the context of the film. You really have to be open-minded, and give it a shot.

And it's pretty obvious to me that the changes regarding the Mandarin were not primarily made just in order to avoid offending the Chinese. It really didn't feel like it, once you see the whole thing. The reason is Shane Black is a smart guy. The way it is explained makes sense. It really does. It makes sense with the story, it makes sense with the characters involved in this scenario, and it makes sense with the "real world" setting we're already accustomed to in the Iron Man franchise. It's ballsy, but a smart choice in my opinion. As a European, I thought that for an American tent-pole "Disney" movie, to avoid the Manichaean cliché of the foreign anti-American pseudo Bin Laden type vilain with this twist was a pretty smart move. It's not heavy on the political comment at all, in fact it's presented in a light and fun way, but still it speaks volume about international politics and how those figure-heads of anti-American evil and international terrorism are presented to the American eye, while sometimes American intelligence or American intervention are the very reason they exist. In retrospect, I think it's a good move. Context is everything.

I was pissed about it too at first, but it didn't bother me afterwards. It's not what you expected, definitely not what you wanted, but it really works within the context of the film, and it's ballsy and smart. The movie is still a must-see, no matter how you may feel right now.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:38 AM   #322
UnionJack

Quote:
before IM3 i thought they might kill him off in Avengers 2.... now im not so sure, but still wouldn't be surprised
Doubt they will kill him off, just re-cast.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:45 AM   #323
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend

Quote:
Why would Marvel kill Tony Stark off, when Feige already said that they will recast the roles a la James Bond? It makes no sense to kill him off. As for RDJ, I have a feeling that he will complete the TA trilogy before retiring his Stark for good; I just can't see them building the threat up to #3 and not have RDJ in it.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Old 04-19-2013, 07:15 AM   #324
jacobed
Banned User

Saw this last night. 7/10

Old 04-19-2013, 07:23 AM   #325
J.Howlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
Saw this last night. 7/10
Really? Only 7?