Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #751
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - Part 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIrishAvenger View Post
I liked Incredible Hulk, does this make me a horrible person?
I liked it too so I would say no. Then again I also liked Iron Man 2, so judging from some posts my vote doesn't count.

I could be proven wrong but generally I'm more interested in seeing the tormented Banner in a solo movie than I am with the one in control.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #752
JAK®
Upstart

TIH's shortcomings have nothing to do with having to fit into The Avengers, the film suffered because of Norton's bland performance and large subplots being cut out.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #753
J.Howlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
I'm not the biggest fan of TIH but I have no idea what you're talking about. Selvig referencing an event in Banner's life that wasn't specifically shown on-screen in TIH is TIH being retconned out? Whaa?
He was referencing the Incredible Hulk film. Why put it there at all if he wasn't referencing that film? But again, SHIELD never showed up in that film. Hence the reason why I personally call it a retcon. That's just me.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #754
J.Howlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
That's total BS. You can enjoy a movie like Captain America for what it is, without going into the Avengers. Having said that Caps story in the comics was directly tied to Avengers, to not tell that part of the story is an injustice to the character. Same goes for Thor and Iron Man.

You can tell a Spider-man tale without going into Avengers, because he was never really apart of that, until the last 10 years.
You can't enjoy Iron Man 2 for all it's Avengers set up. Captain America is an easy fix for me. Just cut the damn epilogue and have that as the intro to Rogers at the beginning of the Avengers.

That final shot of the kids running in the street, pretending to be Cap and the Commandos, with the soaring score was the absolute perfect way to end that film and make a thematic point about Rogers and heroes. But because of the big team up, we get a weirdly cut epilogue that takes away from that beautiful ending.

Ugh, hate the damn epilogue.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #755
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
He was referencing the Incredible Hulk film. Why put it there at all if he wasn't referencing that film? But again, SHIELD never showed up in that film. Hence the reason why I personally call it a retcon. That's just me.
He was referencing the character. Why put it in? As a nod to fans, "hey guys, we're talking about Hulk here". Calling that a retcon is... a stretch, to say the least.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #756
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Um there are about half a dozen or more SHIELD references in the opening sequence of TIH, as well as Stark Industries.

"I'm going to show you something beautiful. Everyone screaming, for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings.......strings....... but now I'm free. There are no strings on me."

- Ultron V
Old 04-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #757
JAK®
Upstart

Quote:
You can't enjoy Iron Man 2 for all it's Avengers set up.
If anything, Iron Man 2 could've done with more Avengers set up. Black Widow has been a supporting cast member of Iron Man before, so she wasn't out of place. Same goes for Nick Fury. In fact, SHIELD and Iron Man go together just as much as SHIELD and Captain America.

The film focused too much on Tony Stark goofing around and being 'irresponsible'. That's what really choked the Whiplash and Justin Hammer subplot, which needed more development. There was a massive portion of the movie where nothing happens other than Stark making an ass of himself. If SHIELD was involved more, it would have at least given the movie some purpose.

Blaming The Avengers is nothing more than a scapegoat for those who just can't accept that IM2 is worse than IM simply because the writing wasn't good enough.

And besides, I don't think IM2 is that bad. Flawed, but not bad.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #758
J.Howlett

Quote:
Um there are about half a dozen or more SHIELD references in the opening sequence of TIH, as well as Stark Industries.
Was SHIELD actually chasing Banner the whole film? Answer...no.

Not even a little bit.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #759
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
You can't enjoy Iron Man 2 for all it's Avengers set up. Captain America is an easy fix for me. Just cut the damn epilogue and have that as the intro to Rogers at the beginning of the Avengers.

That final shot of the kids running in the street, pretending to be Cap and the Commandos, with the soaring score was the absolute perfect way to end that film and make a thematic point about Rogers and heroes. But because of the big team up, we get a weirdly cut epilogue that takes away from that beautiful ending.

Ugh, hate the damn epilogue.
Yeah you can enjoy IM2. I enjoyed it, and many other people did. If you didn't like it, that was you.

The ending of Cap, again is your opinion. To me it was perfect to who Steve Rogers is, he wakes up and realizes he missed the last 70 years, and his thoughts are of Peggy.

"I'm going to show you something beautiful. Everyone screaming, for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings.......strings....... but now I'm free. There are no strings on me."

- Ultron V
Old 04-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #760
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Just seems from what I've read there is some kind of finality with Tony Stark's story here. Are they trying to put him in temporary retirement?

Is this a symbolic sendoff for RDJ?

- CM Punk
Old 04-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #761
J.Howlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK® View Post
If anything, Iron Man 2 could've done with more Avengers set up. Black Widow has been a supporting cast member of Iron Man before, so she wasn't out of place. Same goes for Nick Fury. In fact, SHIELD and Iron Man go together just as much as SHIELD and Captain America.

The film focused too much on Tony Stark goofing around and being 'irresponsible'. That's what really choked the Whiplash and Justin Hammer subplot, which needed more development. There was a massive portion of the movie where nothing happens other than Stark making an ass of himself. If SHIELD was involved more, it would have at least given the movie some purpose.

Blaming The Avengers is nothing more than a scapegoat for those who just can't accept that IM2 is worse than IM simply because the writing wasn't good enough.

And besides, I don't think IM2 is that bad. Flawed, but not bad.
See, Stark making an ass of himself through out the middle portion of that film worked for me because it's clearly attributed to the idea that he can't deal with the fact that not only is he dying but he can't figure it out how to save himself like he figured out how to save himself in the cave in the first film. So, I bought that being an ass to everyone and everything in the middle section of that film was out of fear of dying. All he's doing in that film from minute one is setting up everything so that when he dies, everything and everyone will be taken care of.

It's the SHIELD crap that got in the way of the Vanko and Hammer plot. If Vanko knows that Tony's dying, why in the hell doesn't he tell Hammer and they simply attack Tony at his most vulnerable in the middle of that film? Because we have to talking about SHIELD and what comes next in the big team up.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #762
J.Howlett

Quote:
Yeah you can enjoy IM2. I enjoyed it, and many other people did. If you didn't like it, that was you.

The ending of Cap, again is your opinion. To me it was perfect to who Steve Rogers is, he wakes up and realizes he missed the last 70 years, and his thoughts are of Peggy.
He couldn't wake up and realize that he missed 70 years as his intro into the Avengers? Really?

All I'm saying is move the scene as the opening to the Avengers, not at the end of his film when it already had the perfect ending. Beautiful ending.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #763
T"Challa
Side-Kick

Quote:

Not only did i like the ending to Cap, i thought it was very necessary to be honest. That is literally Steve Rogers story played out.It allowed Joss to just hit the ground running with AVengers.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #764
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Was SHIELD actually chasing Banner the whole film? Answer...no.

Not even a little bit.
That's pretty weak. Again if you bothered watching the opening, the SHIELD issue was answered, and addressed again in Avengers.

BANNER: SHIELD. How did they find me?

NATASHA: We never lost you, doctor. We've kept our distance, even helped keep some other interested parties off yours cent.

BANNER: Why?

NATASHA: Nick Fury seems to trust you. But now I need you to come in.

- Ultron V
Old 04-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #765
wampa1
Side-Kick

I can see both sides of the argument here. I like the ending but that's primarily from a fanboy-ish knowing what's coming next angle.

I'm not sure about putting it at the start of The Avengers, but it could easily have been at the start of TFA with some minor reworking.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #766
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
He couldn't wake up and realize that he missed 70 years as his intro into the Avengers? Really?

All I'm saying is move the scene as the opening to the Avengers, not at the end of his film when it already had the perfect ending. Beautiful ending.

They aren't going to end a movie with him dead (or presumed dead). You should have known that.

- Ultron V
Old 04-22-2013, 05:00 PM   #767
J.Howlett

Quote:
That's pretty weak. Again if you bothered watching the opening, the SHIELD issue was answered, and addressed again in Avengers.

BANNER: SHIELD. How did they find me?

NATASHA: We never lost you, doctor. We've kept our distance, even helped keep some other interested parties off yours cent.

BANNER: Why?

NATASHA: Nick Fury seems to trust you. But now I need you to come in.
Fine. Agree to disagree on that one.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #768
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
What about the footage from the film that shows up in both Iron Man 2 and The Avengers, not to mention Tony himself showing up, and the short film giving the back story to Tony's appearance?

As for Selvig referencing a Gamma ray scientist who disappeared, keep in mind that had already happened as the backstory to The Incredible Hulk. He was already on the run having been the Hulk in the past.

Last edited by redhawk23; 04-22-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #769
J.Howlett

Quote:
They aren't going to end a movie with him dead (or presumed dead). You should have known that.
Why the hell not? That's risky. Think about that for a moment. You just watched a tale about a kid who just wanted to do the right thing and make a difference and look what becomes of him. He becomes a legend. We end with him dead but a legend and always a good man.

A year later, we get the opening of the Avengers and realize he isn't dead. In this day and age of this genre, ending your film with the death of your hero is extremely ballsy.

I thought Marvel was all about that....

Old 04-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #770
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

All I will say is that the MCU having gone through 5 different directors, and varying script writers has a way more cohesive story line than the Star Wars saga.

- Ultron V
Old 04-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #771
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk23 View Post
What about the footage from the film that shows up in both Iron Man 2 and The Avengers, not to mention Tony himself showing up, and the short film giving the back story to Tony's appearance?

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
Old 04-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #772
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Why the hell not? That's risky. Think about that for a moment. You just watched a tale about a kid who just wanted to do the right thing and make a difference and look what becomes of him. He becomes a legend. We end with him dead but a legend and always a good man.

A year later, we get the opening of the Avengers and realize he isn't dead. In this day and age of this genre, ending your film with the death of your hero is extremely ballsy.

I thought Marvel was all about that....
The same reason Nolan didn't kill Batman, which made even less sense in the ending scenes.

- Ultron V
Old 04-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #773
J.Howlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk23 View Post
The ending of Incredible Hulk with Stark showing up has no bearing on the events of what happens later in the MCU. Nothing.

Yeah, they figured their way out of it with the Marvel One Shot but that's not what they originally plan when they did that cameo. Your kidding yourself if you think otherwise on that particular scene.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:06 PM   #774
J.Howlett

Quote:
All I will say is that the MCU having gone through 5 different directors, and varying script writers has a way more cohesive story line than the Star Wars saga.
Complete and utter BS. Don't bring Star Wars into this conversation because you'll lose.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #775
J.Howlett

Quote:
The same reason Nolan didn't kill Batman, which made even less sense in the ending scenes.
Who's talking Nolan?

Closed Thread