The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #951
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - Part 13

Well, that spideysays comment is over-the-top for sure. I don't agree with it at all. But I can see how someone could be mad about it. All the trailers present Mandarin as the real deal and the central villain. For that not to be true in the actual movie could make people feel like they were deliberately mislead.

But yeah that comment was a bit too extreme. /understatement

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.

Last edited by ThePhantasm; 04-23-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #952
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK® View Post
Are they better or worse than those frothing at the mouth, quick to defend any criticism of a movie they haven't even seen yet?

Seems to me that you've displayed much more fanboyism than anyone here who is unhappy with the twist.
QFT. He's been at this for days, too.

And its the same BS with the "Oh, you just wanted the racial stereotype Mandarin"

Hell, before the twist was leaked, Kingsley Mandarin on paper sounded pretty cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
You don't need to be a "true believer"-type fan of the Mandarin to like the character's abilities and want to see him using those rings live-action.

Yeah I've never really been into Mandarin or Iron Man before the movies, but I have begun to like Mandarin over the years because I think he's the coolest Iron Man villain there is, which really isn't saying much but the Mandarin's still cool. Am I disappointed that he's just an actor and won't be using the rings against Iron Man in this movie? Yes. Do I need to be some kind of super Mandarin fan to feel that disappointment? No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
And if you see it in context you might decide you DON'T like it after all. We all make tentative opinions about the film based on the info we have. Neither opinion is more valid than the other.
Great posts.

Last edited by The Batman; 04-23-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #953
Broseph44
Dats what I'm saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
lol @ "one of the premiere villains in the Marvel Universe"
Classic quote

Dats it!

I believe in Ben Affleck.

Hal: Were we ever truly friends?
Sinestro: That’s the tragedy of all of this, Jordan. Hal, we’ll always be friends.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #954
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
And if you see it in context you might decide you DON'T like it after all. We all make tentative opinions about the film based on the info we have. Neither opinion is more valid than the other.
The info we *have* is that the Twist works. I haven't read one negative comment or review from anyone who's actually *seen* the movie so far about how Mandarin is portrayed. The only whining I've heard about "zomg that's not the way comic-book Mandarin is supposed to be" comes from people who haven't seen the movie yet, and are seizing on nerdrage sensationalism.

If we were getting reports and reviews from non-fanboy people saying Kingsley did a terrible job, that the plot twist is awful and makes no sense, and that it ruins the movie for them, then yes, I'd be a lot more apprehensive about this. Instead, all the reports about it have been overwhelmingly positive. The reports and reviews give nothing but glowing praise for Kingsley and the plot twist, so I think I'll rest a little easier. How 'bout you?

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 04-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #955
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Well, that spideysays comment is over-the-top for sure. I don't agree with it at all. But I can see how someone could be mad about it. All the trailers present Mandarin as the real deal and the central villain. For that not to be true in the actual movie could make people feel like they were deliberately mislead.

But yeah that comment was a bit too extreme. /understatement

Yep, and don't get me started on how they teased those damn rings.

WTF was this? Agh. So many people in this thread were ecstatic to see that he had the rings. lol!

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #956
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
The reports and reviews give nothing but glowing praise for Kingsley and the plot twist, so I think I'll rest a little easier. How 'bout you?
I don't shape my opinions around the reactions of others, because I'm not those people, and sometimes I have different criteria for what I want to see from a film.

As for the reviews, a number have said that they "liked the twist but it may be controversial to many" or "fans may not be as happy about it as I was." Its because even the reviewers recognize the fact that not all people are the same. Not all people have the same criteria, opinions, or reactions.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #957
JAK®
Upstart

Quote:
The info we *have* is that the Twist works. I haven't read one negative comment or review from anyone who's actually *seen* the movie so far about how Mandarin is portrayed. The only whining I've heard about "zomg that's not the way comic-book Mandarin is supposed to be" comes from people who haven't seen the movie yet, and are seizing on nerdrage sensationalism.

If we were getting reports and reviews from non-fanboy people saying Kingsley did a terrible job, that the plot twist is awful and makes no sense, and that it ruins the movie for them, then yes, I'd be a lot more apprehensive about this. Instead, all the reports about it have been overwhelmingly positive. The reports and reviews give nothing but glowing praise for Kingsley and the plot twist, so I think I'll rest a little easier. How 'bout you?
You seem to be incapable of grasping that objecting to the change has nothing to do with their view of the quality of the movie overall. They wanted to see The Mandarin in a certain way, and now we have confirmation that they changed it. They dislike the change, and no amount of context or quality execution will change that, because it is the core concept that they object to.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #958
The Batman
The Dark Knight

The whole "You don't like the twist because someone told you you wouldn't" is such a strawman argument. I read the spoilers in an article that posted in an objective manner, and decided I didn't like the idea on paper.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #959
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
QFT. He's been at this for days, too.

And its the same BS with the "Oh, you just wanted the racial stereotype Mandarin"

Hell, before the twist was leaked, Kingsley Mandarin on paper sounded pretty cool.

Great posts.
News flash, sunshine: I've been on this very board every ****ing day for the past year or three. I didn't just suddenly materialize out of thin air to start circling the wagons. Unlike you, who just showed up what, three days ago? To what purpose, sir?

Old 04-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #960
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

It was either I'd be disappointed after seeing the movie's twist, or I'd be disappointed before the movie after hearing about the twist.

I'd rather hear about the twist now, instead of sitting up in the theater like a dumbass waiting for the Mandarin to finally let loose and use those rings against Iron Man. At least now, I'm prepared for disappointment.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:04 PM   #961
JAK®
Upstart

Quote:
News flash, sunshine: I've been on this very board every ****ing day for the past year or three.
Ah, that explains why you're so defensive.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:04 PM   #962
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
News flash, sunshine: I've been on this very board every ****ing day for the past year or three. I didn't just suddenly materialize out of thin air to start circling the wagons. Unlike you, who just showed up what, three days ago? To what purpose, sir?
Oh, sunshine, don't be so upset you focus on semantics.

I was talking about you your posts regarding the whole Mandarin twist, not how long you've been posting in general.

Last edited by The Batman; 04-23-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #963
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
Oh, sunshine, don't be so upset you focus on semantics.
No, really. Please, because I wanna know:
are you here just to troll, or what, TheBatman?

Where did you come from all of a sudden?

Old 04-23-2013, 02:08 PM   #964
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Batman always pops up out of nowhere. Just ask Commissioner Gordon.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:09 PM   #965
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Seriously guys give it a rest. It is a major change to the character, but face it, other than Stane, every villain in this franchise has been significantly changed from the comics. Freaking Jarvis was significantly changed from the comics. But it worked.

Also people still need to be careful with the spoiler info, some people do not want to hear this, and the cat has been totally let out on the bag on this one. Use blackouts, use spoiler tags.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:09 PM   #966
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Just because someone differs with you doesn't make them a troll. I don't know why you are so angry that people have a different opinion.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #967
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Seriously guys give it a rest. It is a major change to the character, but face it, other than Stane, every villain in this franchise has been significantly changed from the comics. Freaking Jarvis was significantly changed from the comics. But it worked.

Also people still need to be careful with the spoiler info, some people do not want to hear this, and the cat has been totally let out on the bag on this one. Use blackouts, use spoiler tags.

Only thing is, Jarvis is still basically Jarvis and he works better than the physical version would have imo. The Mandarin being an actor with powerless rings is just bs and took a complete 180 on the character. Sure it might fit in some smart twist, but it's still meh.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #968
TheIrishAvenger
You are not special.

Quote:

This.

Thank you, voice of reason.

"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible, and we count these moments. Those moments when we dared to aim higher -- to break barriers, to reach for the stars. To make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that, and perhaps we've just forgotten. That we're still pioneers, that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us -- because our destiny lies above us."

INTERSTELLAR

Old 04-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #969
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
No, really. Please, because I wanna know:
are you here just to troll, or what, TheBatman?

Where did you come from all of a sudden?
Once again, you use the tired tactic of trying to attack me through my username.

For shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Batman always pops up out of nowhere. Just ask Commissioner Gordon.

Quote:
Just because someone differs with you doesn't make them a troll. I don't know why you are so angry that people have a different opinion.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #970
DorneyDave
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
Here's his comment:
He can't be serious with that comment? I am as big a nerd as there can be and I LOVE both the books and the movies but still....

It's just a movie. It's just a comic book.

Why so serious? I hope I see someone have a breakdown during my screening.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #971
JAK®
Upstart

Again, it's irrelevant whether or not it works in the movie. People are objecting to the detail because it's not what they wanted to see.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #972
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's guy's been hostile and argumentative since he popped up in here. he's not trolling because he disagrees, he's trolling because he's shown zero interest in getting along.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 04-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #973
TheIrishAvenger
You are not special.

Well, CBM is showing how much of a lovely community it is once again due to these spoilers...

"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible, and we count these moments. Those moments when we dared to aim higher -- to break barriers, to reach for the stars. To make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that, and perhaps we've just forgotten. That we're still pioneers, that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us -- because our destiny lies above us."

INTERSTELLAR

Old 04-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #974
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
That's what I don't get at all. I went into great detail about that several days ago, how the MCU and the Iron Man movies in particular have already *significantly* changed characters from the comics, and how virtually every comic-book character in IM3 specifically bears no resemblance to their counterparts on paper at all. And yet there's none of this fauxrage aimed at "zomg Coldblood! zomg Firepower! zomg Jarvis! zomg Iron Patriot!" etc etc.

Quote:
I'm not angry at people having a different opinion. But you know that already. What I am angry at is people coming out of the woodwork with all this fauxrage and getting self-righteous and defensive about a character who has never been anything but an embarrassment to Marvel Comics. I'm still waiting on any of these so-called "Mandarin fans" to explain where they got the idea that the character was ever as popular as they seem to think, ever as cool as they seem to think, ever as interesting as they seem to think. Mandarin is the Amos 'n' Andy of Marvel Comics; hell, even Stan Lee would admit that.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #975
DorneyDave
Side-Kick

Quote:

Both sides of the argument should look at this. It looks like Iron Man 3 is going to be a great film that is very well received. I think that's the most important thing.

Closed Thread