The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: How do you think Man of Steel will do?
1.5 billion 11 5.85%
1 billion 27 14.36%
900 million 13 6.91%
800 million 35 18.62%
700 million 41 21.81%
600 million 29 15.43%
500 million 18 9.57%
400 million 8 4.26%
300 million 2 1.06%
200 million 4 2.13%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #276
Marvin
Side-Kick

Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 1

Either way I expect IM3 to have a strong second week, good or bad WOM, it's got it all to it's self.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:03 AM   #277
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Well, there is The Great Gatsby.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #278
Ita-KalEl
Side-Kick

The predictions are all more than good. Comparing to the depression before SR it is already a great difference.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #279
fake
Side-Kick

Any idea what early tracking numbers are like for "Man of Steel", or any RS futures?

Old 05-01-2013, 04:13 PM   #280
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
I kept trying to tell people last summer, for all intents and purposes, TDKR was on its way to being the biggest movie of all-time, bigger than Avatar and Titanic... and everyone shut me down. In all actuality, it really was.

I mean, seriously, it was tracking almost as big as Episode I, had far more anticipation than Avatar and Titanic prior to its release.

No shooting + 3D = Biggest Movie of All-Time, almost guaranteed. The tracking never lies.
hahahahaha ha

hahahahaha

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 05-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #281
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
I kept trying to tell people last summer, for all intents and purposes, TDKR was on its way to being the biggest movie of all-time, bigger than Avatar and Titanic... and everyone shut me down. In all actuality, it really was.

I mean, seriously, it was tracking almost as big as Episode I, had far more anticipation than Avatar and Titanic prior to its release.

No shooting + 3D = Biggest Movie of All-Time, almost guaranteed. The tracking never lies.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #282
Kryptonian Titan
Banned User

^
^
My reaction, exactly.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:36 AM   #283
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Ah, Rocketman.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #284
JOE

The Nolanites will never realize their precious TDKR is the weakest of an almost perfect trilogy.

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. Kane52630"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat

Last edited by JOE; 05-02-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #285
DieSmiling
WINNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
The Nolanites will never realize their precious TDKR is the weakest of an almost perfect trilogy.
That's not true. There are plenty of Nolanites (like myself) who think that TDKR was a disappointment and the weakest of the trilogy.

It wouldn't have beaten Avengers but I think it's naive to think that TDKR wasn't hurt by the shooting and not being in 3D, with the latter hurting it internationally in particular.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #286
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Quote:

Oh the irony of someone with a Heath Joker avatar and who refers to the Nolan trilogy as "almost perfect" criticizing so-called "Nolanites" and acting like he is not one of their number. So rich.

More seriously, in fairness to Rocketman, while he overstates his point, who knows how big TDKR would have been without the shooting and with the addition of 3D prices. If my local multiplex is at all indicative of general trends, The Avengers must have benefited greatly from its 3d bumps. There were 4 screens in the theatre showing the movie and 3 of the 4 were 3d (1 IMAX 3d, 2 normal 3d, and one 2d) if I recall correctly. Now, TDKR would not have done Avatar/Titanic numbers, but without the shooting (remember all TV spots were pulled after that) and if the movie had a 3d bump, it MIGHT have done numbers close to The Avengers.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #287
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
who knows how big TDKR would have been without the shooting and with the addition of 3D prices.
Bigger; but not as big as Avatar and Titanic, which is for damn sure.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #288
Kane52630
ANIMUS VOX

Rocketman trying to be SonofKrypton009 over here. lol

At least he was right in the end.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #289
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

I remember him. The thing is, he predicted that Avatar would make over two billion. Avatar made way over that and closer to 3 billion. The power of dat Cameron.

What Rocketman fails to realize is that hype alone doesn't get you Avatar/Titanic numbers. Avatar made like 77 million opening weekend, then it made nearly the same amount the next week, then nearly the same amount again, week in and week out. There was clearly something more going on than hype. TDKR didn't have anything close to those legs. Heck, it didn't even have Avenger/Skyfall legs.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #290
GreenKToo
In the fire

I'm not hearing good things about IM 3 but it will still prolly be #1 this summer. Much like how spidey 3 was a huge hit but the weakest link of the three.
Mos should be fine. 650 mill or so ww.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #291
Notrip
SuperDaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
I'm not hearing good things about IM 3 but it will still prolly be #1 this summer. Much like how spidey 3 was a huge hit but the weakest link of the three.
Mos should be fine. 650 mill or so ww.
IM 3 went from having a 90ish rotten tomato score after 50 reviews to 80 after about 130ish reviews, free falling. (they changed the general consenus from "maybe Marvel's best" to "a strong addition to the Marvel canon"

I think 650 + guarentees a sequel. hopefully it makes 800 million WW range to avoid a Justice league movie in 2015.
Justice League movie 4 years from now makes more sense than two years from now.

Iron Man 2008-Avengers 2012

MOS 2013-Justice League 2017 (avoids the Avengers 2 and Star Wars (which I think is actually gonna be out in 2016, not 2015)

Amy Adams - Lois Lane
? - Jim Gordon
Hugh Laurie - Alfred

Old 05-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #292
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
I love that that condescension is written by someone who still has an avatar from one of Nolan's Batman movies. A five year old one at that.

TDKR is better than BB, in my opinion, so does that make me a Nolanite or not one?

As for Rocketman's post, saying the biggest movie of all time is a ridiculous thing to try and guess. I do wonder if it could have perhaps opened bigger than Avengers, though not catch it in its total run especially WW, if not for the shooting. There is no denying that the tragedy sucked the hype out of the movie's opening. I still remember people who refused to watch it until it came out on DVD because of what happened. There is no denying it had a financial impact.

But its box office run is such a triviality in the long run, there is no reason to care about that.

--John Adams
Old 05-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #293
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

Batman Begins was clearly the worst.

R.I.P. Heath
Old 05-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #294
Tra-El
Side-Kick

Anyone else feeling nervous the closer the release date gets here? I feel like I am actually APART of Superman and the success he's bound to make. I'm not going to lie, money issue aside, I think MOS is going to kick the absolute living DOG-S*** out of IM3 and I'll be loving every damn second of it.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #295
Kryptonian Titan
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra-El View Post
Anyone else feeling nervous the closer the release date gets here? I feel like I am actually APART of Superman and the success he's bound to make. I'm not going to lie, money issue aside, I think MOS is going to kick the absolute living DOG-S*** out of IM3 and I'll be loving every damn second of it.
That's how I'm feeling too.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #296
Mikelus
Islander

I believe MOS will have better reviews than IM3, not sure it will make more at the BO, but who knows, stranger things have happened!

Old 05-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #297
GreenKToo
In the fire

IM 3 has the benefit of having IM, IM II, and the Avengers before it.
we have SR as the last film, almost 7 years ago.
If MoS makes more than IM 3, then IM 3 will have to be the worst CB film ever made and MoS the best one ever.
I can see the reviews for MoS being better than IM, and IM having the bigger BO.

We should count our blessings if MoS can make 650 mill total and not get pi$$ed because IM makes 800 mill total. Afterall, IM is established on film, our boy is not.
If MoS can get to 600 mill, then imo, sequels, solo films not called superman and batman, and team up films WILL happen.
I couldnt care less what IM makes.

Last edited by GreenKToo; 05-02-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #298
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
IM 3 has the benefit of having IM, IM II, and the Avengers before it.
we have SR as the last film, almost 7 years ago.
If MoS makes more than IM 3, then IM 3 will have to be the worst CB film ever made and MoS the best one ever.
I can see the reviews for MoS being better than IM, and IM having the bigger BO.

We should count our blessings if MoS can make 650 mill total and not get pi$$ed because IM makes 800 mill total. Afterall, IM is established on film, our boy is not.
If MoS can get to 600 mill total, then imo, sequels, solo films not called superman and batman, and team up films WILL happen.
I couldnt care less what IM makes.
Well Said.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:40 AM   #299
JOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post

Oh the irony of someone with a Heath Joker avatar and who refers to the Nolan trilogy as "almost perfect" criticizing so-called "Nolanites" and acting like he is not one of their number. So rich.

More seriously, in fairness to Rocketman, while he overstates his point, who knows how big TDKR would have been without the shooting and with the addition of 3D prices. If my local multiplex is at all indicative of general trends, The Avengers must have benefited greatly from its 3d bumps. There were 4 screens in the theatre showing the movie and 3 of the 4 were 3d (1 IMAX 3d, 2 normal 3d, and one 2d) if I recall correctly. Now, TDKR would not have done Avatar/Titanic numbers, but without the shooting (remember all TV spots were pulled after that) and if the movie had a 3d bump, it MIGHT have done numbers close to The Avengers.
I'm a Spider-Man fan, thanks though. I forgot that if you have an avatar related to any of Christopher Nolan's Batman movies it makes you a "Nolanite".

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. Kane52630"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
Old 05-03-2013, 06:42 AM   #300
JOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
I love that that condescension is written by someone who still has an avatar from one of Nolan's Batman movies. A five year old one at that.

TDKR is better than BB, in my opinion, so does that make me a Nolanite or not one?

As for Rocketman's post, saying the biggest movie of all time is a ridiculous thing to try and guess. I do wonder if it could have perhaps opened bigger than Avengers, though not catch it in its total run especially WW, if not for the shooting. There is no denying that the tragedy sucked the hype out of the movie's opening. I still remember people who refused to watch it until it came out on DVD because of what happened. There is no denying it had a financial impact.

But its box office run is such a triviality in the long run, there is no reason to care about that.

Refer to previous post. I think you guys copied each other when attempting to be funny.

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
Closed Thread