The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 05:57 PM   #976
Zarex
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,479
Default Re: Guess how you think Nolan/Goyer will pull of the secret identity thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
How is something that Marvel is doing with pretty much all of the Avengers refreshing? If anything, the abandoning of the hero's secret identity is overdone right now.
The idea of anyone keeping a secret identity in this day and age is outdated. And according to the trailer, Clark's cover is already blown.

Zarex is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #977
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."
 
DKDetective's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,124
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
Yeah I don't know how not having a secret identity could work if wants to try and live a normal life. Works in IM cause he was already famous and loves the attention.
Precisely and, as such, it does not jive with Supes' characterization in Man of Steel. As shown through the Pa Kent rocket reveal scene, we are getting a Clark who has a very understandable desire to be normal and human and fit in. In the end, the world will accept him as Superman and he will fit in as Supes to an extent, but that doesn't mean the character does not need a release from the constant strains of being Superman.

__________________
Avatar by Kane52630
DKDetective is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #978
Zarex
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,479
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
Yeah I don't know how not having a secret identity could work if wants to try and live a normal life. Works in IM cause he was already famous and loves the attention.
Wouldn't that be an interesting area to explore in future installments? A simple Kansan trying to be a hero while dealing with unwanted celebrity.

Zarex is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #979
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick
 
The Boy Scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,050
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 49

If the celebrity was unwanted, he wouldn't reveal his secret identity in the first place.

The Boy Scout is online now  
Old 04-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #980
DaJanksta
Henry Cavill's chest hair
 
DaJanksta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,493
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
Wouldn't that be an interesting area to explore in future installments? A simple Kansan trying to be a hero while dealing with unwanted celebrity.
I wish I could get on board with that. It just doesn't sound interesting to me lol

DaJanksta is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #981
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!
 
I SEE SPIDEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In Superman's arms
Posts: 32,851
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 49

I think that sounds like an awful angle for Superman and I'm not one of those people averse to change.

I SEE SPIDEY is online now  
Old 04-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #982
DaJanksta
Henry Cavill's chest hair
 
DaJanksta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,493
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I think that sounds like an awful angle for Superman and I'm not one of those people averse to change.
I feel the exact same way. I'm open to change but it just doesn't sound good.

DaJanksta is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #983
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."
 
DKDetective's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,124
Default Re: Guess how you think Nolan/Goyer will pull of the secret identity thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
The idea of anyone keeping a secret identity in this day and age is outdated. And according to the trailer, Clark's cover is already blown.
Oh please, people loved the Batman-Bruce duality in the Nolan films. The Playboy Bruce scenes got plenty of love and lots of laughs in every theatre I was in. Furthermore, you are extremely underestimating how fallible human senses and memory are. We had an entire week on it in my Law of Evidence class. You change someone's hairstyle, clothes, mannerisms, etc. and you would be surprised how hard it is to identify them as the same person. Even with computers and facial recognition software. Furthermore, if they are going with the idea that Lois and possibly others close to Clark are in on the secret and helping cover his tracks, it becomes even more plausible.

__________________
Avatar by Kane52630
DKDetective is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #984
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd
 
ConnorKon-El's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,436
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 49

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


Quote:
Michael Shannon Talks Playing General Zod in 'Man of Steel'


Last edited by ConnorKon-El; 04-21-2013 at 06:19 PM.
ConnorKon-El is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #985
Liam_H
Side-Kick
 
Liam_H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 8,505
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 49

A select few like Lois knowing is fine and I'd actually like that but it would be a nightmare for him if everyone knew. People would constantly go up to asking why didn't he save so and so. Or that he needs to go intervene in this area. Essentially a god that needed to make everything better.

__________________

Spill


Liam_H is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 06:15 PM   #986
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick
 
Whiskey Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The South
Posts: 19,202
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Just use the part of the URL after the =

__________________

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 06:18 PM   #987
Skrilla31
Side-Kick
 
Skrilla31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 796
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 49

Random thought, but does anyone believe this movie will "set the stage" for Lex Luthor so to speak? I mean Goyer did kind of tease it last month...

"I don't think anyone has ever confirmed that we haven't included him."

I could see a surprise cameo at the end of the movie. I'm not sure if they'll show his face because they probably haven't picked out an actor yet - I think - but I could definitely see like the camera panning to the Lexcorp building and seeing a shadowy figure gazing out at Metropolis. Or maybe we just see like the back of his head as he vows to destroy Superman.

I dunno, just an idea.

Skrilla31 is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #988
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd
 
ConnorKon-El's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,436
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Just use the part of the URL after the =
Got it ! thanks

ConnorKon-El is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #989
Zarex
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,479
Default Re: Guess how you think Nolan/Goyer will pull of the secret identity thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
Oh please, people loved the Batman-Bruce duality in the Nolan films. The Playboy Bruce scenes got plenty of love and lots of laughs in every theatre I was in. Furthermore, you are extremely underestimating how fallible human senses and memory are. We had an entire week on it in my Law of Evidence class. You change someone's hairstyle, clothes, mannerisms, etc. and you would be surprised how hard it is to identify them as the same person. Even with computers and facial recognition software. Furthermore, if they are going with the idea that Lois and possibly others close to Clark are in on the secret and helping cover his tracks, it becomes even more plausible.
For a vigilante who operates under the cover of darkness, the Batman dual identity makes sense, regardless of how improbable it may be in real life. I just don't know how Snyder will put the "My son was on the bus" woman back in the bottle. And though my interest in the film went through the roof after the latest trailer, I am dreading watching Amy Adams staring into Henry Cavill's glasses free face and asking him "Have you seen Clark?"

Zarex is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #990
ChickenScratch
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Queens, NY, USA
Posts: 5,208
Default Re: Guess how you think Nolan/Goyer will pull of the secret identity thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
Oh please, people loved the Batman-Bruce duality in the Nolan films. The Playboy Bruce scenes got plenty of love and lots of laughs in every theatre I was in. Furthermore, you are extremely underestimating how fallible human senses and memory are. We had an entire week on it in my Law of Evidence class. You change someone's hairstyle, clothes, mannerisms, etc. and you would be surprised how hard it is to identify them as the same person. Even with computers and facial recognition software. Furthermore, if they are going with the idea that Lois and possibly others close to Clark are in on the secret and helping cover his tracks, it becomes even more plausible.
Exactly.

I've read a few books on spy trade-craft (spy novel fan) and they always talk about how little of a disguise you really need. A change of posture and gait go a long way, it literally changes your shape. They always talk about how "disguises" actually draw attention because trained eyes can spot a wig or some such other device. Another interesting thing is they always mention amateurs hastily donning a disguise or some heavy coat or change of clothes to shake a tail, but the giveaway is that they never usually change their shoes.

There is also context. One does not expect to see Superman in a newsroom behind a desk. Once I was out in Manhattan with my gf after picking her up from work. Walking out of the comic shop a guy walks up to me and greets me. Took me a moment to recognize him, if he kept walking I would have never seen him. My best friend Mike's next door neighbor. A dude I've known as long as my bud, a guy who would come over and hang out all the time and just because Zac lives and works in Queens (as do I) I just didnt expect to see so I didnt see him in Manhattan.

The secret identity is an essential part of his story and it by all means should be maintained. Besides, I want to see an actor play 2 people and see the literal change.

ChickenScratch is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #991
Jim-El
"My Son"
 
Jim-El's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The Fortress of Solitude
Posts: 818
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 49

I prefer a secret identity and Chris Reeve was able to pull it off greatly, however I don't see Cavill or anyone else being able to realistically do it.

__________________
"The Kryptonian prophecy will be at last fulfilled. The son becomes the father, the father becomes the son. Farewell forever Kal-El. Remember me my son." - Jor-El/Marlon Brando/Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut
Jim-El is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #992
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!
 
I SEE SPIDEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In Superman's arms
Posts: 32,851
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 49

Unless there is some mind wipe I'm pretty sure Lois will know.

Lois knowing is a nice change of pace but turning Superman into the Fantastic Four sounds awful on paper. I just don't see it, I just don't want to see it.

I SEE SPIDEY is online now  
Old 04-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #993
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."
 
DKDetective's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,124
Default Re: Guess how you think Nolan/Goyer will pull of the secret identity thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
For a vigilante who operates under the cover of darkness, the Batman dual identity makes sense, regardless of how improbable it may be in real life. I just don't know how Snyder will put the "My son was on the bus" woman back in the bottle. And though my interest in the film went through the roof after the latest trailer, I am dreading watching Amy Adams staring into Henry Cavill's glasses free face and asking him "Have you seen Clark?"
I think the Smallville mother and perhaps the rest of the town will be dealt with in the same way as Coleman Reese if anything. When normal, good people see the good that Clark has done, they choose not to rat him out. That is the idea if optimism and faith in the inner goodness of humanity that Superman is all about. If you find that unbearably unrealistic, then I suggest that no Superman movie will ever make you happy. Finally, you concern about Lois is a moot point. It's well established that she knows and has been in on it from the beginning in Man of Steel. She is chasing down a mysterious guardian angel in the film prior to Superman's reveal based on a picture of Clark in Smallville.

__________________
Avatar by Kane52630
DKDetective is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #994
Kryptonian Titan
Banned User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 738
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo View Post
Just wondering but has anyone picked this up yet?


My DK Superman guide is fairly old and quite out of date so was wondering if this one was worth getting?
I pre ordered, but according to my comics shop it will only be available next wednesday.
Anyway, I'll only get to see it next month, since I'm from Brasil.

Kryptonian Titan is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #995
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd
 
ConnorKon-El's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,436
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
Unless there is some mind wipe I'm pretty sure Lois will know.

Lois knowing is a nice change of pace but turning Superman into the Fantastic Four sounds awful on paper. I just don't see it, I just don't want to see it.
1. Lois knowing is something i hope happens. I want her to help construct the secret identity and ect.
2. Superman being a Fantastic 4-type celebrity ? BYE.

ConnorKon-El is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #996
Marvin
Side-Kick
 
Marvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 16,366
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 49

A great deal of Supermans history in comics has lois in on Superman's identity. No reason why they should keep her out of the loop in this. I mean, it seems every other superhero movie has a love interest finding out what's up by the end.

__________________
1992's Universal soldier is my favorite Wolverine vs Sabretooth movie.
Marvin is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #997
rocco2216
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 926
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 49

UltimaRex posted the following on IMDb. Does he post on the Hype? I wasn't sure. Anyway guys something to discuss regardless if true.

So I've been putting out feelers for info recently with the tiny amount of people I know in the industry (no one major) and one of them dropped a probable bombshell today.

Bear in mind that this is fourth-hand at best from shifting sands and my source is iffy about it so big grain of salt time.

Ready? Deep breath...

MOS2 is Justice League.

Towards the end of post on MOS WB fell in love with it and out of love with Will Beall's "separate universe" JL script. But they still want JL for 2015 and they also want a MOS sequel sooner rather than later.

So the plan is to slap the two together.

The only details given to me is JL is a direct sequel to MOS with Goyer writing and Snyder directing. After MOS Lex Luthor starts gathering supervillians for a "society" so Superman has to put together the League to fight them. Also the TDK trilogy is indeed separate so there will be a new Batman. No Bale or JGL.

rocco2216 is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #998
Kryptonian Titan
Banned User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 738
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
1. Lois knowing is something i hope happens. I want her to help construct the secret identity and ect.
2. Superman being a Fantastic 4-type celebrity ? BYE.
Yeah, that's a horrible idea...

Kryptonian Titan is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #999
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."
 
DKDetective's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,124
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco2216 View Post
UltimaRex posted the following on IMDb. Does he post on the Hype? I wasn't sure. Anyway guys something to discuss regardless if true.

So I've been putting out feelers for info recently with the tiny amount of people I know in the industry (no one major) and one of them dropped a probable bombshell today.

Bear in mind that this is fourth-hand at best from shifting sands and my source is iffy about it so big grain of salt time.

Ready? Deep breath...

MOS2 is Justice League.

Towards the end of post on MOS WB fell in love with it and out of love with Will Beall's "separate universe" JL script. But they still want JL for 2015 and they also want a MOS sequel sooner rather than later.

So the plan is to slap the two together.

The only details given to me is JL is a direct sequel to MOS with Goyer writing and Snyder directing. After MOS Lex Luthor starts gathering supervillians for a "society" so Superman has to put together the League to fight them. Also the TDK trilogy is indeed separate so there will be a new Batman. No Bale or JGL.
Please god no, please IMDB be full of crap as usual.

__________________
Avatar by Kane52630
DKDetective is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #1000
Zarex
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,479
Default Re: Guess how you think Nolan/Goyer will pull of the secret identity thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
I think the Smallville mother and perhaps the rest of the town will be dealt with in the same way as Coleman Reese if anything. When normal, good people see the good that Clark has done, they choose not to rat him out. That is the idea if optimism and faith in the inner goodness of humanity that Superman is all about. If you find that unbearably unrealistic, then I suggest that no Superman movie will ever make you happy.
Lack of realism doesn't bother me - the first two films made me very happy. But I assumed Snyder was going for a more realistic tone.

Quote:
Finally, you concern about Lois is a moot point. It's well established that she knows and has been in on it from the beginning in Man of Steel. She is chasing down a mysterious guardian angel in the film prior to Superman's reveal based on a picture of Clark in Smallville.
I think that will be a welcome change.

Zarex is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.