Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 06-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #326
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Iron Man 3 vs Man Of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardMoore View Post
It did well. It would've done well regardless of what happened, it was the follow-up to arguably the best superhero film of all time.

But I know a LOT of people who didnt see this movie because of it. I'm talking hundreds (including those saying they wouldn't go to the movies after that, those who said they'd just wait for the DVD etc.)

Most of the young people I know saw it anyway, but it took a massive hit with your run-of-the-mill older audience.

I know there were scores of people in a few cities that would've seen it had the shooting not happened, and unless that was an anomaly, I think it's safe to say that was the case across the US.

In order to make Avengers, Titanic, or Avatar money, you have to pull people who rarely go to the movies. The majority of those people will not go to the movies when a theater slaughter is fresh on their minds, no matter how anticipated the movie is.
I'm sorry, but the people I know test is never an accurate one. Fact is, it did well regardless and people saw it. The number of people who didn't see it due to the shooting really cannot be accurately determined. As the movie was out longer, I also bet many who claimed they wouldn't see it saw it.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #327
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Yeah, I've been to the theater where the shooting took place after it had it's reopening, and there's no lack of people going there, despite a lot of controversy here that some of the family members wanted it closed for good. The theater was remodeled and the screen room where the shooting took place is not there anymore.

People here understand this was just some nutcase who cracked, and it could have happened anywhere, and for most of the people I know and theaters where I attend here, it hasn't changed a darn thing.

I think having to go through Columbine previous to this, gave people around here an iron will to that sort of thing. We can't comprehend why someone would do such a thing, but at the same time, people don't want to live in fear.

I had a strange reaction because I went to a midnight show that night, and hearing about when I got home and hearing it was at a theater in my home city, was certainly a shock. My wife and kids were home asleep, I went with some friends, you think "what if it were me?" But I haven't let that event change me one bit.

One thing about Aurora CO, violence is unspeakable there. Gang violence and all kinds of horrible things that you don't hear in the news every day. Aurora is Denver's largest suburb and it's one of the older areas as well. There was an Air Force base there that closed down back in the 90's and since then the area has been riddled with crime. I used to work in Aurora, and I never hung out around the Aurora mall (which is right next to where the theater shootings were), because it became a gang hangout.

Now the shooter was not a gangbanger, he was just a nutcase, but when I heard the shooting was in Aurora, I was not shocked by that, unlike Columbine which is a very, very safe part of Denver.

I digress, anyway, sure the theater shootings effected business, and to a certain extent we've not seen these huge midnight numbers since the shootings, so it has effected people on some level, but it certainly hasn't stopped people from going to the movies. As much as Avengers made last year, May 2013 was higher grossing at the box office than May 2012. It may have hurt midnight showings, but it hasn't hurt movie going.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #328
brainchild81
Fighting crime...

Heard another person who doesn't like Supes say it's the best superhero movie ever. I'm interested now

See Black Dynamite

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Under your watch, 50% of marriages end in divorce &the other 50% in death!
brainchild81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:11 AM   #329
kedrell
Correction, I AM SWISS!!!

The only thing Mos has in the best or most ever dept is most destruction ever in a superhero movie. If that alone made a movie great then Mos would win hands down. But it's not, unfortunately. Personally I thought the action while vast was so repetitive and all seemed so similar that much like the end fight to IM3 or the entirety of the action in the TF movies it devolved into white noise for me. I'd like more distinctiveness please. At least IM3 had plenty of inventiveness with all the rest of it's action sequences. It's only with the finale that it became a video game. MoS's stuff seems to damn nearly be all video game.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #330
Anno_Domini
Banned User

My friend who didn't like Batman Begins or The Dark Knight Rises(but loved The Dark Knight) had great things to say about Man of Steel when he sent me a text about having watched the midnight showing...that was great news to hear

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #331
addison81
Side-Kick

I gotta go with Iron Man 3. Just a better told story, and in my opinion more entertaining. I still Liked Man of Steel though.

addison81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #332
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
My friend who didn't like Batman Begins or The Dark Knight Rises(but loved The Dark Knight) had great things to say about Man of Steel when he sent me a text about having watched the midnight showing...that was great news to hear
It was good. A hell of a lot better than the reviews are saying.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #333
The Batman
The Dark Knight

I feel like both movies are pretty much overrated, and so far, 08' and 12' were much better years for DC/Marvel tentpole flicks.

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:50 PM   #334
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

I have problems with both movies, but Man of Steel is still the better movie here.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:14 PM   #335
brainchild81
Fighting crime...

I give a slight edge to IM3. MOS isn't the best superhero flick ever, but it is the best Supes film ever. I enjoyed it &I don't like Supes. Better than the beginning and end of Nolan's bat trilogy. I still don't see this matching or exceeding IM3 box office

Last edited by brainchild81; 06-14-2013 at 10:24 PM.
brainchild81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:21 PM   #336
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Iron Man 3 all the way! Better character development, better story, better pacing and better script!

With Man of Steel, I noticed a lot of flaws!

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:57 PM   #337
CB Fan
The Watcher

Man of Steel I was not expecting to like it and it definitely has flaws but I left out excited with Iron Man 3 I was left empty...

CB Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:56 PM   #338
addison81
Side-Kick

I also preferred IM3's variety of action compared to MOS's repetitive action.

addison81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:57 PM   #339
def28
Side-Kick

IM3 for me. Better script as a whole. MOS had the better action though imo.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:48 AM   #340
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

To me it's not even close. While there are parts of MoS that come close to greatness, it ultimately falls under it's own weight of shoddy dialogue and overlong actions scenes, plot holes the size of those planet eater things.

IM3 isn't perfect, but it's a fun watchable movie and has a great performance of Tony Stark that is as exciting to see out of the suit as he is in it. The character development is far superior to anything in MoS.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:51 AM   #341
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

I enjoyed MOS a good deal more than IM3. I respect what MOS attempted to do more than what was presented in IM3 which i didn't really buy and that's aside from the whole Mandarin issue.

We know this is not tony's last adventure we know he'll be back in literally 2 years so why bother with all the melodrama of "is this really it for him?".

As for the action i'd put MOS ahead IM3 handilly as well. Not that IM3 was particularly shoddy in that regards but you can't really compare the villain boss fights.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:52 AM   #342
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

ps. I wish this thread had a poll i really wonder what the consensus between the two of them is here numerically?

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #343
tek
Side-Kick

if critics reviews are to be followed it is IM3 clearly. But it is left to your opinion. Though on this board the bias of Marvel and DC (in the majority) fans it would not matter what was dished up, they would mostly stay stubborn

tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #344
warhorse78
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by the last son View Post
MOS will win both the box office and with critics. Marvel is on it's way down with their inabilities to take chances. IM3 has no buzz. I don't care what numbers they put out with big or small MOS will beat it
Doubt it now. Critics liked Iron Man 3 more than MOS, more than likely MOS will be crushed on 4th July weekend by Lone Star, so I highly doubt it's going to go anywhere near the dollar intake of IM3.

As for now, I liked IM3 while I pretty much left the theater hating MOS. I don't know what the hell that was, but that was not a superman movie to me. But in the end, STID is still my favorite movie of the year. Hell, I like Hansel and Gretel, Witch Hunters more than IM3.

Last edited by warhorse78; 06-15-2013 at 10:44 AM.
warhorse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #345
The Sage
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Man of Steel for me.

I find it funny that both comic book films of the summer have left fans polarized over some of the decisions made. Both Marvel and DC fans in some way got shafted.

They should really just drop any Marvel vs DC stuff and hold hands or something.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #346
Slushy
The Man

Both were awful, but Iron Man 3 is the better of the two. While Marvel took a giant sh** on The Mandarin, at least the end of the film's climatic battle didn't betray what the title character stood for unlike Superman "spoiler"
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
when he did what he did to Zod.
"/spoiler"

Slushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #347
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slushy View Post
Both were awful, but Iron Man 3 is the better of the two. While Marvel took a giant sh** on The Mandarin, at least the end of the film's climatic battle didn't betray what the title character stood for unlike Superman "spoiler"
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
when he did what he did to Zod.
"/spoiler"
Yeah, I see your point but well, unlike in IM3, Superman's girl didn't win the fight for him.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #348
T"Challa
Side-Kick

It is funny, it seemed like everybody expected MOS to handily win the critic battle and i heard a lot of "Superhero event of the year" and "movie of the year" stuff. Now its clearly not the case. I think IM3 was better, and apparently majority of professional critics do as well.

T"Challa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:11 PM   #349
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Man of Steel by far for me. Just loved it. Very few films have me smiling so much. And I didn't mind the controversial ending. I thought it was just fine.

A great reboot

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #350
Thoix
Side-Kick

Man of Steel is the clear winner. All Iron Man 3 had going for it was Robert Downey Jr. The rest of the movie was an utter disappointment.

Thoix is offline   Reply With Quote