The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 06-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #526
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Default Re: Iron Man 3 vs Man Of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Both true. The Q scores I cited are give accurate picture of the current popularity of the major superheroes. Superman is fourth on the list, possibly because he hadn't had a truly successful film outing for over thirty years. With the reboot, such as it is, raising Supes' profile, he should regain some ground.

The question is whether or not Superman can ever regain the top spot as the most-loved superhero. MOS hasn't garnered universal acclaim and it isn't dominating the box office, so its ability to restore the character's popularity to its historic high is debatable.
It depends on what MoS can grow into?

I'd have loved to see what batman's Q score was in the post-B&R period?

Begins started the batman image repair and set it up for TDK to hit it out of the park.

MoS has already started that superman repair process the reboot period is always the hardest process in that character repair. So i think if they deliver a knock-out sequel we can see superman rise up back among the top.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:04 AM   #527
Mr. Todd
Side-Kick

We seriously need a poll.

I gotta give it Iron Man 3. I simply loved the movie. It was a fun story, and I actually enjoyed the Mandarin twist. I really didn't see it coming, and even though we won't get the actual Ten Rings, I thought it was a creative switch-up on what we normally see in these types of films.

One of my favorite CB movies.

Mr. Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:36 AM   #528
Dispatch Ninja
Side-Kick

Man of steel for me, easily.

Dispatch Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:08 AM   #529
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Man of Steel was better for me. IM3 has some good parts but it all seemed a bit too light and jokey and never seemed to be wanted to be taken seriously at all, even with the Mandarin thing which was a cool set up turned out just to get laughs.

(X-Men-Apocalypse:Brace yourselves, WAR is coming)
BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:37 AM   #530
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Iron Man 3 8/10
Man of Steel 6/10

And Superman is my favorite superhero.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:39 AM   #531
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
Iron Man 3 8/10
Man of Steel 6/10

And Superman is my favorite superhero.
It seems the more a fan of the comicbook character the less people seemed to like their respective film.

Not saying all of them but a high number seem to be in the same boat as you.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #532
Cosmic
Theosophist

Red face Re: Iron Man 3 vs Man Of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
Before people come and complain that its futile to compare the two, they're comparable in the sense that they are beloved comic book characters with promising movies coming out from both of them this Summer.

That being said, vote on what movie you want to see more.

And this is a place to talk about who you think will win the box office!

Edit. I forgot to post a poll, if someone could edit this thread to have a poll asking what movie people want to see more that'd be greaaaat
I was more excited for IM3 than MOS. I was always sort of apprehensive about the MOS choice of director and some of the casting. IM3 on the other hand, finally brought us the Mandarin, and they were going to do him justice (or so I believed). Also, as impressive as the MOS trailers were, the IM3 trailers with Kingsley's voice-over and scenes of IM in serious trouble really made me feel like they were taking it to another level. Like SR, I wasn't quite sure what to make of the MOS trailers, however. Not usually a good sign.

Now, as to the question of which movie was better? Unfortunately, I'd have to ask, which movie was worse? And the answer is MOS. IM3 is terrible, but at least it's fun. MOS takes itself way too seriously, and even fails to deliver on the themes it presents to audience (Superman as savior, the implications of humans making first contact with an intelligent alien race, etc.). MOS is pretentious, flat, uneven, unfinished, bleak, excessively and brutally violent, unnecessarily vulgar, demoralizing, and anti-heroic. It should be clear to everyone now that it's not just a few paid movie critics and disgruntled comic book purists who didn't like the film. A lot of people really did not like MOS, and were even disgusted by it.

IM3 was a stupid, funny, bombastic rollercoaster ride. I hated it, but I can understand why a lot of people liked it and wanted to go back to see it again. MOS is just exhausting to watch, and after this huge, eye-popping, catastrophe it presents at the climax (strongly referencing the 9/11 attacks, no less), it immediately flips to some light-hearted banter, which is just so freaking insulting and irresponsible! Worst of all is they made Superman a failed hero, by making him give in to Zod's terms at the end. All this on the 75th anniversary of a character that has endured through so much is really a shame.

Not only can Krypto now talk like a human, but his powers are far superior to mine! I can no longer be his master! -Superboy, Adventure Comics #239
Cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:47 PM   #533
TheSpectacular
Christian and proud

Man of Steel by a long shot

Guardians of the Galaxy- 4/10
TheSpectacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #534
The Dark Defender
Unite and Fight

Man of Steel by a very wide margin.

The Dark Defender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #535
DACrowe
Side-Kick

For this discussion I will say this.

Iron Man 3 was EXACTLY the movie it intended to be. And it is easily the more enjoyable movie of the two. A light, fluffy piece of popcorn that delivers on all cylinders like a typical MCU film. And yes, I liked the Mandarin twist.

BUT

Man of Steel, as flawed and uneven as it is, aspired to be something greater than IM3 did. While its reach exceeded its grasp, the high intentions leaves it with a lot of great moments that scrape the edge of greatness, even if the final product falls way short. Even so, I would much rather rewatch this movie again and I have seen it twice.

Like Thor, Iron Man 2, TIH and CA, I really never care if I see IM3 again.

That is the difference.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:59 PM   #536
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

I won't deny that Man of Steel is more ambitious than Iron Man 3, and that is a good thing. But as you say the execution of it left a lot to be desired. RDJ as Iron Man is always entertaining. Even in Iron Man 2 and Iron Man 3 is a better film than it is. I have only seen Man of Steel once, and I have no real desire to see it again. Getting through that ponderous and lengthy third act is quite the chore. I do think MoS does a good job of setting up future films, but it itself just isn't that good. Its okay, but there are too many problems.

Also, and this is a just a personal issue that I have and I know it shouldn't affect me, but it does. I just can't help but feel that I already saw this movie done better by Richard Donner. I know it isn't a carbon copy remake, but everything from the way Krypton and Jor-el are portrayed to the man playing Superman to the villain Zod to the musical score, I like better in the earlier series.

Kahran Ramsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:15 PM   #537
brainchild81
Fighting crime...

Even though I like IM3 better and I think MOS doesn't live up to its ambition, I'd still count MOS as the best live action Supes film ever. It seems like everybody either likes MOS waaaay too much or they hate it waay too much. Very polarizing

See Black Dynamite

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

The CustomInk logo looks a lot like the Hydra logo. Watch out for those guys, man
brainchild81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #538
Anno_Domini
Banned User

I've come to realize that besides Batman Returns, I've come to really love many of the more polarizing CBMs, lol(Watchmen, The Dark Knight Rises, Man of Steel).

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #539
Paradox1
Side-Kick

Man of Steel by a wide margin its the Superman I've always imagined on screen. I also grew up on the 80's Superman man movies starting with Donner's films. Those films were great for their time and that time is long past. IM3 basically used the plot from the Incredibles and thats just lazy story telling.

"Wars are never won, regardless of who might be the victor. The very act of war is itself a horrible defeat." Guardian of the Universe "Battleground: Oa!" Green Lantern, 1st Silver Age series, #127, Denny O'Neil)
Paradox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:28 PM   #540
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox1 View Post
IM3 basically used the plot from the Incredibles

Old 06-29-2013, 10:46 PM   #541
TheIrishAvenger
You are not special.

And Man of Steel "copied" the Omnidroid from The Incredibles

"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible, and we count these moments. Those moments when we dared to aim higher -- to break barriers, to reach for the stars. To make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that, and perhaps we've just forgotten. That we're still pioneers, that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us -- because our destiny lies above us."

INTERSTELLAR

TheIrishAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:39 PM   #542
Anno_Domini
Banned User

It was more like taking Peters' wet dream of a giant spider, lol.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:55 PM   #543
halo10
Side-Kick

Robert Downey Jr was again astounding as Tony Stark and what makes him unique is more than any alter ego ( even more than Christian Bales' Bruce Wayne role) he has made an artwork tone of a character in Tony Stark who is hilarously humorous, arrogant, charming, and unpredictable that he is actually bigger than the Iron Man armor itself. That's a rarity for an alter ego to outshine the superhero.
Besides Marvel films having its' usual huge fan base, it (Stark personality) put a stamp on viewers curiousity along with the Avengers and past IM films to generate the astounding box office turnout that it did for the highest gross film of the year. The Mandarin issue threw me and i couldn't figure out exactly what IM was fighting but i thought there were far too many cool effects (including the modifications of skin grafting installments that allow him to draw his IM parts to his being) as well as the big rescue scene and finale battle.
Man of Steel was very serious with zero humor, upgrade look in costume, and Zod and his minions, but added with today's version of CGI effects technology, but it clearly missed the Superman/Lois Lane connection and romance of the Reeves films. i thought it was a good solid film, ..but not a great film. Not a memorable classic.

halo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:24 AM   #544
Steamteck
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
It seems the more a fan of the comicbook character the less people seemed to like their respective film.

Not saying all of them but a high number seem to be in the same boat as you.
I'm one of those a Superman fan and iron man fan for 40 years. MOS was nearly perfect for me and I left Iron Man 3 very disappointed and frustrated.

Last edited by Steamteck; 06-30-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Steamteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:53 AM   #545
Morcego
Tadarida Brasiliensis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
I was more excited for IM3 than MOS. I was always sort of apprehensive about the MOS choice of director and some of the casting. IM3 on the other hand, finally brought us the Mandarin, and they were going to do him justice (or so I believed). Also, as impressive as the MOS trailers were, the IM3 trailers with Kingsley's voice-over and scenes of IM in serious trouble really made me feel like they were taking it to another level. Like SR, I wasn't quite sure what to make of the MOS trailers, however. Not usually a good sign.

Now, as to the question of which movie was better? Unfortunately, I'd have to ask, which movie was worse? And the answer is MOS. IM3 is terrible, but at least it's fun. MOS takes itself way too seriously, and even fails to deliver on the themes it presents to audience (Superman as savior, the implications of humans making first contact with an intelligent alien race, etc.). MOS is pretentious, flat, uneven, unfinished, bleak, excessively and brutally violent, unnecessarily vulgar, demoralizing, and anti-heroic. It should be clear to everyone now that it's not just a few paid movie critics and disgruntled comic book purists who didn't like the film. A lot of people really did not like MOS, and were even disgusted by it.

IM3 was a stupid, funny, bombastic rollercoaster ride. I hated it, but I can understand why a lot of people liked it and wanted to go back to see it again. MOS is just exhausting to watch, and after this huge, eye-popping, catastrophe it presents at the climax (strongly referencing the 9/11 attacks, no less), it immediately flips to some light-hearted banter, which is just so freaking insulting and irresponsible! Worst of all is they made Superman a failed hero, by making him give in to Zod's terms at the end. All this on the 75th anniversary of a character that has endured through so much is really a shame.
I agree with basically everything in this post, even though I wouldn't call these movie ''terrible''. To me, they were mediocre to bad.

Morcego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:29 AM   #546
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamteck View Post
I 'm one of those not A Superman fan and iron man fan for 40 years. MOS was nearly perfect for me and I left Iron Man 3 very disappointed and frustrated.
Yeah Ive noticed this trend on the boards a bit. Again not saying all but it seems they changed a lot in each respective film that irked fans of the comic.

Ironman had: Mandarin character changed from the comics, Tony basically retiring, blowing up all his suits, suddenly getting an op to no longer need his power core.

MoS: Supe's killing, no red underpants!!, a slightly darker tone

I know some things have to be changed for movies from comics but perhaps some fans of each character thought it too much, I dont know I'm just guessing.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:10 AM   #547
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

IM3 by far.

I was a little taken aback by IM3 featuring so little of Iron Man, but upon subsequent viewings, I was really impressed by its creative and rather fresh approach to making a superhero movie. Shane Black took the basic character arc concept from TDKR, and integrated it seamlessly into a movie that featured all of the best aspects of Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, and Iron Man.

I still found the villains a bit hokey (the whole glowing/exploding thing was a bit much, IMO), but the nuance in which Tony was guided through his post-Avengers PTSD was deft and skillful, and the comedy and action of the film had all of the freshness and fun of the Transformers movies, without all of their poorer qualities.

Personally, I just found MoS to be very average. Conceptually, it was great, but as a director, Snyder just was never able to breathe any real life or newness into the film, and it just came off as consistently stale and aloof. Screenwriting wise, Goyer's script was downright terrible. He simply had no idea how to effectively convey the concepts and philosophies he/Nolan had come up with, the pacing was downright terrible, and most of the film's incredible cast were wasted due to either poor dialogue or too little dialogue period.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #548
Hammer!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
IM3 by far.

I was a little taken aback by IM3 featuring so little of Iron Man, but upon subsequent viewings, I was really impressed by its creative and rather fresh approach to making a superhero movie. Shane Black took the basic character arc concept from TDKR, and integrated it seamlessly into a movie that featured all of the best aspects of Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, and Iron Man.

I still found the villains a bit hokey (the whole glowing/exploding thing was a bit much, IMO), but the nuance in which Tony was guided through his post-Avengers PTSD was deft and skillful, and the comedy and action of the film had all of the freshness and fun of the Transformers movies, without all of their poorer qualities.

Personally, I just found MoS to be very average. Conceptually, it was great, but as a director, Snyder just was never able to breathe any real life or newness into the film, and it just came off as consistently stale and aloof. Screenwriting wise, Goyer's script was downright terrible. He simply had no idea how to effectively convey the concepts and philosophies he/Nolan had come up with, the pacing was downright terrible, and most of the film's incredible cast were wasted due to either poor dialogue or too little dialogue period.
Agreed 100%. I actually thought Black was making fun of Nolan with his Mandarin. I couldn't help but wander if Black was in agreement with myself that Nolan's influence on the genre had become tedious and stale.

IM3 was Downey's best performance as Stark. He showed distraught emotions that he didn't give the character in the first two or even Avengers. Marvel films tend to have a more 'popcorn' flair while DC tries to be more realistic and cerebral. That changed quite a bit this year. IM3 had the smarter script, tackled more world issues, and was overall a much more intelligent film. MOS took the realism of Nolan's Batfilms and the bombastic set pieces of recent MCU films and...it just didn't gel. I thought it was a mess, tonally.

MOS was enjoyable, but I liked it less and less upon four viewings; it just becomes monotonous and less enjoyable and I doubt it will hold up in 5-7 years. IM3 has gotten better after each of my viewings; it's personality, contemporary messages on terrorism and the 'faces of evil, and fresh take on the genre will help it be more appreciated in the passing years.

IM3- 8/10
MOS- 6/10

Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:49 PM   #549
Steamteck
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
Yeah Ive noticed this trend on the boards a bit. Again not saying all but it seems they changed a lot in each respective film that irked fans of the comic.

Ironman had: Mandarin character changed from the comics, Tony basically retiring, blowing up all his suits, suddenly getting an op to no longer need his power core.

MoS: Supe's killing, no red underpants!!, a slightly darker tone

I know some things have to be changed for movies from comics but perhaps some fans of each character thought it too much, I dont know I'm just guessing.

Actually I mistyped. I have been a huge fan for all those years and MOS was nearly perfect and IM3 disappointed me on nearly a primal level.

Steamteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:53 PM   #550
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer! View Post
I couldn't help but wander if Black was in agreement with myself that Nolan's influence on the genre had become tedious and stale.
Exactly what is this influence? The vast majority of CBM's produced from 2005 to now are very different in tone from Nolan's movies.

redfirebird2008 is offline   Reply With Quote