Default Re: Iron Man 3 vs Man Of Steel

No, Iron Man 3.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #652
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman Earth1 View Post
I don't think it is a Marvel vs DC thing more so how Marvel approaches their movies as appose to DC. For example Marvel's movies are far less serious than DC and rely more on action than story and in Iron Man's case more on RDJ jokes than anything else. While with DC movies story comes first action second and is more or less for a mature audience. Which the audience really does seem to favor. There are a few exceptions to that though but the other movies like Blade I & II, X-Men and X-Men 2, X-Men First Class, Spider-Man series are not part of Marvel studios or I expect their quality to drop as well.
Sorry but no. And no, audiences don't favor one over the other. The Dark Knight films did well, but adjusting for 3D and inflation all of the Iron Man movies sold far more tickets than Man of Steel did.

We won't even bring up Green Lantern in this conversation.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #653
Juicy J
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman Earth1 View Post
For example Marvel's movies are far less serious than DC and rely more on action than story and in Iron Man's case more on RDJ jokes than anything else. While with DC movies story comes first action second and is more or less for a mature audience.
Nope.
One of the biggest complaints about MOS is that it favors action over story. Repetitive, boring, video-game like action over an already weak story. So no, don't sit here and say that when there's no truth to it. Just because a movie is more 'serious' doesn't mean it's inherently a better story and that adults/people with 'mature' taste will like it more.
And as someone said, one of the biggest criticism's leveled to MS films over the past couple years are the movies lack of action. So basically the opposite of what you just said is true.
Quote:
Which the audience really does seem to favor.
Wrong. If the audience did indeed favor that then IM3 and the Avengers wouldn't have grossed over a billion dollars and garnered critical acclaim, while MoS has yet to do either.
Quote:
There are a few exceptions to that though but the other movies like Blade I & II, X-Men and X-Men 2, X-Men First Class, Spider-Man series are not part of Marvel studios or I expect their quality to drop as well.
It's funny how people sit here and criticize Marvel Studios for their supposed 'weak, generic' films when all but one have been unanimous critical and financial successes.
It's fine if you don't like their movies, to each his own, but to sit here and call them 'low quality' is quite the stretch.

Juicy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #654
SilentWarriorZ
men of bats

X - 3 was better than I - 3

SilentWarriorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #655
DarkKnight
Side-Kick

Does it annoy anyone else when people say "Wrong" or "No" or "Sorry but no" comments as if what they say is correct and what you are saying is incorrect?
The topic at hand is a matter of personal opinions. Nothing more. There is not right or wrong here.

DarkKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #656
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

And gravity is just a theory.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:48 PM   #657
Juicy J
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight View Post
Does it annoy anyone else when people say "Wrong" or "No" or "Sorry but no" comments as if what they say is correct and what you are saying is incorrect?
The topic at hand is a matter of personal opinions. Nothing more. There is not right or wrong here.
If you're referring to my post (which you are), go back and try to dispute any thing I said as just an opinion.
He said marvel movies are mostly focused on action with little focus on the story, and that DC movies are for a more 'mature' audience; that is objectively incorrect.
He also said that audiences prefer the approach in DC movies, an odd claim considering how the past couple films from each studio have performed. Audiences vote with their wallets, and Marvel is the clear winner. What's subjective about that?

Juicy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #658
Paradox1
Side-Kick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=OUYW0JyzydA

"Wars are never won, regardless of who might be the victor. The very act of war is itself a horrible defeat." Guardian of the Universe "Battleground: Oa!" Green Lantern, 1st Silver Age series, #127, Denny O'Neil)
Paradox1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #659
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWarriorZ View Post
X - 3 was better than I - 3
I agree. But then again I'm one of the few fans that liked X3 a whole lot.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:08 AM   #660
DarkKnight
Side-Kick

You humor me. However though, yes you and about 100 other people when I read through these Marvel VS DC threads. I can easily dispute anything you said or he said as a matter of opinion.

Marvel= action no story. His opinion, you disagree with his statement that is your opinion.

DC= Adults as target or more mature. His opinion, you disagree again that's your opinion.

I could care less honestly as I watch most Comic movies. Yes I admit I do lean more towards the DC side since I was a child. But have a large love for several Marvel characters and movies.

Again, I was not just referring to you, but a lot of people who try to pass their Opinions as facts when it is clearly nothing more than opinions.

Regards,
DK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy J View Post
If you're referring to my post (which you are), go back and try to dispute any thing I said as just an opinion.
He said marvel movies are mostly focused on action with little focus on the story, and that DC movies are for a more 'mature' audience; that is objectively incorrect.
He also said that audiences prefer the approach in DC movies, an odd claim considering how the past couple films from each studio have performed. Audiences vote with their wallets, and Marvel is the clear winner. What's subjective about that?

DarkKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #661
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
This statement was factually wrong: " While with DC movies story comes first action second and is more or less for a mature audience. Which the audience really does seem to favor."

That is not an opinion, it's wrong. Two Marvel films with over a billion at the box office proves that wrong.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #662
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
You humor me. However though, yes you and about 100 other people when I read through these Marvel VS DC threads. I can easily dispute anything you said or he said as a matter of opinion.

Marvel= action no story. His opinion, you disagree with his statement that is your opinion.

DC= Adults as target or more mature. His opinion, you disagree again that's your opinion.

I could care less honestly as I watch most Comic movies. Yes I admit I do lean more towards the DC side since I was a child. But have a large love for several Marvel characters and movies.

Again, I was not just referring to you, but a lot of people who try to pass their Opinions as facts when it is clearly nothing more than opinions.

Regards,
DK
Those might be his opinions, but the "opinion" that audiences prefer one over the other is WRONG. Factually 100% WRONG.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #663
Ironfan72
Golden Avenger

Iron Man 3 was light years better than MoS, just based off the people whom I work with, only one went to MoS, while over half went to see IM3 not just once but multiple times, and raved about how good the film was, while the comicbook community had issues with Mandarin, GA goers did not care abit.
I have seen IM3 three times, not seen MoS once, will wait for DVD or least borrow it from someone.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #664
BlackFox
Burn baby burn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironfan72 View Post
Iron Man 3 was light years better than MoS, just based off the people whom I work with, only one went to MoS, while over half went to see IM3 not just once but multiple times, and raved about how good the film was, while the comicbook community had issues with Mandarin, GA goers did not care abit.
I have seen IM3 three times, not seen MoS once, will wait for DVD or least borrow it from someone.
Strange

Old 07-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #665
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Ha ha so a films better than one he hasn't even seen, it's idiotic comments like that, that piss me off. This Marvel vs DC mentality is annoying, can't we just appreciate the genre and enjoy it all? I know I do.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #666
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

The problem goes back to what we were talking about in the reboot thread. MoS has to have the Mythos of superman prop up an empty film. The whole Iron Man franchise really centralized on the character of Tony and his evolution over the films.

There is absolutely no character development in MoS. When we first see Clark, he's just some silent brooding wanderer who helps people. It's like they were trying to turn Clark Kent in to Bruce Banner, only in TIH, you at least saw Bruce with some personality and charm.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #667
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Ha ha so a films better than one he hasn't even seen, it's idiotic comments like that, that piss me off. This Marvel vs DC mentality is annoying, can't we just appreciate the genre and enjoy it all? I know I do.
He's saying it was based on what others had said to him. No need to start flame throwing.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #668
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
He's saying it was based on what others had said to him. No need to start flame throwing.
It's still a stupid foment to make cause he says it like he's already formed that opinion cause what others have said.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #669
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
The problem goes back to what we were talking about in the reboot thread. MoS has to have the Mythos of superman prop up an empty film. The whole Iron Man franchise really centralized on the character of Tony and his evolution over the films.

There is absolutely no character development in MoS. When we first see Clark, he's just some silent brooding wanderer who helps people. It's like they were trying to turn Clark Kent in to Bruce Banner, only in TIH, you at least saw Bruce with some personality and charm.
I think we watched a different film cause there was plenty if character development. Seeing you png Clark allowed us to see a wider scope of Clark.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #670
Visualiza
What is a yout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I think we watched a different film cause there was plenty if character development. Seeing you png Clark allowed us to see a wider scope of Clark.
How, and where? They were just cherry-picked tidbits of his life. You never once got to see his relationship with his folks. Being a sounding board for his mom and dad's preaching is not character development; that's hamfisted melodrama. Then it's back to adult Clark who has hardly said a word by the time he puts the Superman suit on, so where is this development exactly?

Visualiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #671
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

There was no character for Ma Kent. She was just a cardboard cutout. I'll never get over how bad her lines were in that movie. Such gems as "that's nice Clark." or "nice suit son." or the Oscar worthy "isn't that a good thing?"

Old 07-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #672
StarLord
Tech Noir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualiza View Post
How, and where? They were just cherry-picked tidbits of his life. You never once got to see his relationship with his folks. Being a sounding board for his mom and dad's preaching is not character development; that's hamfisted melodrama. Then it's back to adult Clark who has hardly said a word by the time he puts the Superman suit on, so where is this development exactly?
I agree with parts of this.

There was no real development, just scenes of Pa Kent giving Clark speeches. Is that all he did?

StarLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #673
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualiza View Post
Cavill's character is a continuation of those who play him when he's you her. When we first met him he's on the move looking for his place in the world. You don't need dialogue to see development. Acting isn't just talking.

The scene where he speak to Jor El stands out cause you finally see how he knows he's found what he's been looking for his whole life. It's so powerful.

There's also the great moments where he tells Lois about what happened to his father, he feels guilty but he knew he had to trust his father. By the time he's saving the world from Zod and the World Engine. He's truly stepped up, he's become a Man of Steel.

You have your opinion I have mine.

Quote:
There was no character for Ma Kent. She was just a cardboard cutout. I'll never get over how bad her lines were in that movie. Such gems as "that's nice Clark." or "nice suit son." or the Oscar worthy "isn't that a good thing?"
So you're conveniently forgetting the scene of Young Clark in the cupboard where she consoles him and helps him hone his powers.

So we're every character great in every Iron Man movie too?

I don't know why you're trying so badly to get me to agree with you. I clearly loved Man of Steel. I bought into it, it did what I wanted it to do and more. I felt every beat, the emotion, the excitement etc. just accept I like the movie and I got the character development.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #674
Paradox1
Side-Kick

I thought they way they portrayed Clark Kent/Kal-El was closer to the comic book version than Tony Stark has been in four movies.Clark has always been someone with the weight of world on his shoulders who is a boy scout. While Tony Stark never had that much charisma in the comics what people like about Tony Stark in the movies is RDJ.

The greatest disappointment in the MCU is how in many ways they've never addressed the flaws of the characters. In essence they've essentially sold out to make a book what happen to Tony's drinking problem? What happen to Nazi's? What happen to Hulk being a anti-hero? That is what pisses me off about Marvel's movies the most. Their characters had substance, flaws they were human DC had the heroes like Gods.

"Wars are never won, regardless of who might be the victor. The very act of war is itself a horrible defeat." Guardian of the Universe "Battleground: Oa!" Green Lantern, 1st Silver Age series, #127, Denny O'Neil)
Paradox1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:45 AM   #675
BlackFox
Burn baby burn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox1 View Post
I thought they way they portrayed Clark Kent/Kal-El was closer to the comic book version than Tony Stark has been in four movies.Clark has always been someone with the weight of world on his shoulders who is a boy scout. While Tony Stark never had that much charisma in the comics what people like about Tony Stark in the movies is RDJ.

The greatest disappointment in the MCU is how in many ways they've never addressed the flaws of the characters. In essence they've essentially sold out to make a book what happen to Tony's drinking problem? What happen to Nazi's? What happen to Hulk being a anti-hero? That is what pisses me off about Marvel's movies the most. Their characters had substance, flaws they were human DC had the heroes like Gods.
I agree with this, I guess its the tone Marvel are going for, a more light hearted approach to their movies, this can be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it, but their "heroes" rarely have to suffer anything much and with weak villains no real sense of threat or danger. The one exception might be Cap, who has suffered the most and will be interesting to see in Cap2 how he copes as a man out of time.

At least Clark had to suffer for 30 years of his earth life to struggle to find out what his purpose is in life was, Tony just had to worry about where his next mansion was going to be built after his Malibu one got blown up. I could relate more to Clark as a character and he's a friggin god from another planet!!!

In IM1 at least we saw Tony suffer and develop from a playboy who only cared for himself to someone who realised the error of his ways and needed to do something about it.