The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 07-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #751
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Default Re: Iron Man 3 vs Man Of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
I don't trust anything in which just anybody can vote, like RT User Ratings, IMDB ratings, etc. They are too easily exploited by trolls and idiots. There is also too much of a bias towards films that just came out.

I find that the results from actual critics are far more accurate.
Then the TF movies should have been BO bombs. I am going to have to conclude that nothing is accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
But Captain America: The Winter Soldier wins. Everything. My first born son, even. It's the unicorn of the MCU.
Ms. Marvel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #752
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

RT user is more reliable, they moderate and even close pages due to trolls (Avengers vs TDKR)

Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:42 PM   #753
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
I don't trust anything in which just anybody can vote, like RT User Ratings, IMDB ratings, etc. They are too easily exploited by trolls and idiots. There is also too much of a bias towards films that just came out.

This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon sexton View Post
Yeah but those people are ****s more or less. :o
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:43 PM   #754
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlueWonder View Post
RT user is more reliable, they moderate and even close pages due to trolls (Avengers vs TDKR)
RT user rating for Revenge of the Fallen is higher than for Dark of the Moon. Say what you want about those movies but you have to admit that Dark of the Moon had more positive reception from the GA and critics than it's predecessor. Spider-man 1 also has a pretty low score on RT from users.

Quote:
But Captain America: The Winter Soldier wins. Everything. My first born son, even. It's the unicorn of the MCU.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #755
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Marvel View Post
RT user rating for Revenge of the Fallen is higher than for Dark of the Moon. Say what you want about those movies but you have to admit that Dark of the Moon had more positive reception from the GA and critics than it's predecessor. Spider-man 1 also has a pretty low score on RT from users.
69% for SM1, nearly a good score. Unlike SM2, SM1 and X1 and X2 never really stood the test of time as they came out at a time when CBM were at an all time low. While the first two X-Men films still have really great scores (mid 80's) SM1 has always been overshadowed by SM2 so that has affected it. The reboot may have stabbed it a bit but I doubt that many people would have been bothered to change their ratings.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #756
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Marvel View Post
The spider-man 1 ratings eroded over time. You can say that movie didn't hold up over time, but at the time it came out, many were calling it the best comic book movie ever made. It was the first movie ever to open at over 100 million and held that record for years.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #757
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
The spider-man 1 ratings eroded over time. You can say that movie didn't hold up over time, but at the time it came out, many were calling it the best comic book movie ever made. It was the first movie ever to open at over 100 million and held that record for years.
I 100% agree

Old 07-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #758
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

My point was simply that RT user ratings aren't completely accurate. They are at times.

Quote:
Old 07-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #759
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

I might give IM3 a rewatch to see if I like it again

Old 07-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #760
divan
Side-Kick

Personally I think Man of Steel was a better adaptation, but Iron Man 3 was a (considerably) better movie.

divan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #761
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by divan View Post
Personally I think Man of Steel was a better adaptation, but Iron Man 3 was a (considerably) better movie.
Do you mean the villain?

Quote:
Old 07-27-2013, 03:35 AM   #762
weezerspider
Side-Kick

One didn't take itself seriously at all and made itself a joke. One took itself too seriously. Both had great potential and just missed the point. I don't know.

And General Zod in Man Of Steel was better than any villain in the MCU. Michael Shannon ftw

Old 07-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #763
NosfeRomas
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerspider View Post
One didn't take itself seriously at all and made itself a joke. One took itself too seriously. Both had great potential and just missed the point. I don't know.

And General Zod in Man Of Steel was better than any villain in the MCU. Michael Shannon ftw
Dude...Loki ! I really like MoS but Dude!!!.....LOKI !!

NosfeRomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #764
weezerspider
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosfeRomas View Post
Loki is the closest, but in the grand scheme of things, Zod in MoS had a better motive, better actor and cooler moments. You can actually see why Zod was doing what he was doing. He was raised that his only purpose was to protect Krypton and thats what he was doing. He even acknowledge many of things he did were bad out of context, but in the context of why he was doing it, he felt he was in the right. That makes a great villain. Joker is pretty much the only villain with the 'being bad is fun' motive that works well.

In the MCU, Loki, in the grand scheme of things, is a jealous brother with an ego. He's got great strong performances in both films he's been in and he's been well written. However, ultimately his motives, while rooted in his jealously and ego, aren't entirely defined and his plan, especially in The Avengers, is somewhat saturday morning cartoonish. I get it, he's the God of Mischief, but I feel we need more reason to why he just toys with The Avengers' minds.

I prefer a man who was raised in a society which gave him ONE reason to live and ONE duty, which was to protect his people at all costs and he does evil things to accomplish that because, as he put it, its really his soul. Its more understandable and not simply a "Ok so the bad guy is bad. Therefore he wants to kill the good guy and rule the world', where as despite the jealously and ego, in the grand scheme of things thats what we are supposed to accept from Loki.

Zod has a few badass lines, IMO, including the 'My soul, that's what you have taken from me!' and when he finally fights, he's incredible, where as Loki has some dramatic moments himself with his father in Thor and gets some funny/cool dialogue, but when push comes to shove, we'll remember him for being thrown around like a rag doll.

Overall, I'd probably put Loki fifth or sixth best comic book villain behind Joker, Bane, Zod, Green Goblin, and Ock, which IMO, Loki is on the top-tier villains in comic book films, so I in no way am bashing him.

Edit: Oh and cinemascore is the stupidest piece of **** on the planet. According to cinemascore, anything below a B is considered a bad rating. It pretty much feeds on the GA's rapid, knee-jerk reaction to films, where if they don't come out of the theater and go 'that was amazing', then its not good.

Last edited by weezerspider; 07-28-2013 at 12:42 PM.
weezerspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #765
Steamteck
Side-Kick

OK, I loved MOS really really loved it.
I hated Iron man 3 really really hated it.

But for BOTH films several of you folks are claiming there is no character development, strong emotion or depth where frankly there just is. When some you are so blind you get me to defend IM3 you really are oblivious.

Steamteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #766
Steamteck
Side-Kick

Quote:

Gotta disagree with you on a primal level. I find I disagree with the critics at least half of the time and more than that if they're not in a fairly narrowminded set of films where the user ratings are far more accurate for me on the film being good entertainment which is frankly my priority. Sometimes the critics are useful as they describing something they dislike and I can tell from the description, its actually something pretty interesting though. often a little conceptually out of the pretentious approved good stuff box.

Steamteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:24 PM   #767
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosfeRomas View Post
Loki in Thor, yes, solid. Loki in Avengers started out good, ended up a joke.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:42 PM   #768
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Loki is the closest, but in the grand scheme of things, Zod in MoS had a better motive, better actor and cooler moments. You can actually see why Zod was doing what he was doing. He was raised that his only purpose was to protect Krypton and thats what he was doing. He even acknowledge many of things he did were bad out of context, but in the context of why he was doing it, he felt he was in the right. That makes a great villain. Joker is pretty much the only villain with the 'being bad is fun' motive that works well.

In the MCU, Loki, in the grand scheme of things, is a jealous brother with an ego. He's got great strong performances in both films he's been in and he's been well written. However, ultimately his motives, while rooted in his jealously and ego, aren't entirely defined and his plan, especially in The Avengers, is somewhat saturday morning cartoonish. I get it, he's the God of Mischief, but I feel we need more reason to why he just toys with The Avengers' minds.

I prefer a man who was raised in a society which gave him ONE reason to live and ONE duty, which was to protect his people at all costs and he does evil things to accomplish that because, as he put it, its really his soul. Its more understandable and not simply a "Ok so the bad guy is bad. Therefore he wants to kill the good guy and rule the world', where as despite the jealously and ego, in the grand scheme of things thats what we are supposed to accept from Loki.

Zod has a few badass lines, IMO, including the 'My soul, that's what you have taken from me!' and when he finally fights, he's incredible, where as Loki has some dramatic moments himself with his father in Thor and gets some funny/cool dialogue, but when push comes to shove, we'll remember him for being thrown around like a rag doll.

Overall, I'd probably put Loki fifth or sixth best comic book villain behind Joker, Bane, Zod, Green Goblin, and Ock, which IMO, Loki is on the top-tier villains in comic book films, so I in no way am bashing him.

Edit: Oh and cinemascore is the stupidest piece of **** on the planet. According to cinemascore, anything below a B is considered a bad rating. It pretty much feeds on the GA's rapid, knee-jerk reaction to films, where if they don't come out of the theater and go 'that was amazing', then its not good.
You're freaking out of your head. Zod wasn't in the same universe as Loki, nor was Bane. Both Bane and Zod have very simple motivations, where Loki was the only one that was fully explored, a guy who was lied to his whole life by his father, led to believe he could be King, when he wasn't even his real son, and used as a pawn to bring peace with an enemy race.

Last edited by Tony Stark; 07-29-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Tony Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #769
weezerspider
Side-Kick

Quote:
You're freaking out of your head. Zod wasn't in the same universe as Loki, nor was Bane. Both Bane and Zod have very simple motivations, where Loki was the only one that was fully explored, a guy who was lied to his whole life by his father, led to believe he could be King, when he wasn't even his real son, and used as a pawn to bring peace with an enemy race.
Yes thats all very true of the character....but neither film he was in did more then scrape the surface with those details. He had the potential to be the greatest villain behind The Joker, but they didn't do much with him aside from making him and egotistic jealous brother and they unfortunately made his motivations very simple. He certainly was not fully explored. The facts you mentioned could have easily taken up a 2 hour 45 minute film about the corruption of a promising individual ala There Will Be Blood, but Marvel didn't do much with him.

Bane's motives and plans were pretty complex seeing how half the people on this board still don't seem to understand them. Zod was just a better acted and better fully-realized character. Of course the biggest difference between Bane and Zod vs Loki, is Bane and Zod had two creative forces behind them that were taking their film very seriously, where as much of Loki's potential was squandered by being a part of two very light-hearted pictures.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #770
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Loki is one of my favourite Marvel characters and I love him in the MCU. I know next to nothing about Bane (in the comics). Yet, I would say I liked Bane as a villain in TDKR better than Loki as a villain in TA.

Quote:
Old 07-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #771
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Yes thats all very true of the character....but neither film he was in did more then scrape the surface with those details. He had the potential to be the greatest villain behind The Joker, but they didn't do much with him aside from making him and egotistic jealous brother and they unfortunately made his motivations very simple. He certainly was not fully explored. The facts you mentioned could have easily taken up a 2 hour 45 minute film about the corruption of a promising individual ala There Will Be Blood, but Marvel didn't do much with him.

Bane's motives and plans were pretty complex seeing how half the people on this board still don't seem to understand them. Zod was just a better acted and better fully-realized character. Of course the biggest difference between Bane and Zod vs Loki, is Bane and Zod had two creative forces behind them that were taking their film very seriously, where as much of Loki's potential was squandered by being a part of two very light-hearted pictures.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #772
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/wo...i-the-avengers

Don't agree with everything on the list, but the top 3, spot on.

Money quote: "Bane probably would've made the top three if those threats he was making could have been fully understood."

Old 07-29-2013, 05:45 PM   #773
weezerspider
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'll take the eye roll as a lack of a rebuttal.

Quote:
http://www.totalfilm.com/features/wo...i-the-avengers

Don't agree with everything on the list, but the top 3, spot on.

Money quote: "Bane probably would've made the top three if those threats he was making could have been fully understood."
Like it or not, Bane's distinct voice is one of the most memorable things from a superhero-film villain. And a good bit of the comments on that page find Loki at number 2 to be ridiculous.

Last edited by weezerspider; 07-29-2013 at 05:48 PM.
weezerspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:58 PM   #774
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

There should be a poll. One film embraced it's comic book roots (though humourless) and added some new stuff. The other was ashamed of the source material and gave the middle finger to fans

Old 07-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #775
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
I'll take the eye roll as a lack of a rebuttal.

Like it or not, Bane's distinct voice is one of the most memorable things from a superhero-film villain. And a good bit of the comments on that page find Loki at number 2 to be ridiculous.
The eyeroll is for the idiotic comment of saying that Joss Whedon and Kenneth Branagh didn't take Loki seriously. Tone doesn't mean they didn't take them seriously.

Hiddleston as Loki will far more be remembered among the general population than Tom Hardy will for Bane. It's really not even debatable.

As far as the user comments, there's a few that disagree with him being no 2, a lot different than saying he shouldn't be in the top 3-5.