The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > SHH Community Forum

Old 04-20-2013, 01:08 AM   #1
Blitzkrieg Bop
The Dark Side

Default Alcohol thread

What's your favorite drink? I've never been much a drinker for liquor, but now I've gotten a real curiosity for the stuff. I've been working in a liquor store for seven months now and I want to expand my alcohol horizon. So here, I want to discuss all the drinks out there; good, bad, "it's alright". Not just liquor, but beer and even wine (even though I personally don't touch the grapes).

Let me say that Naked Turtle rum is . Grab a bottle of that and some root beer. I seriously want a Naked Turtle shirt so I can rock that ****. http://www.nakedturtle.com/age_gate/...le.com/splash/

Today I bought Lunazul resposado tequila for margaritas I'm making tomorrow. I've taken two shots of it tonight and I like it. It feels like the more I drink of it, the more I'll like it. The Hornitos Lime Shot tequila is pretty good.

Last Sunday, I spent an afternoon riverside drinking a 7&7 with a splash of red Gatorade and I also had a Goose Island Summertime beer. Really liked that whiskey cocktail. The Summertime tasted a lot better out in the sun as opposed to the first time I had it, on my porch at night. The Goose Island Honker's Ale is delicious and the IPA is not bad.

Anyone ever have Crown Royal Maple? Believe it or not, I tried it with Coke and orange juice and loved it; tastes like breakfast.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:59 AM   #2
bullets
bang bang

Default Re: Alcohol thread

I gave up drinking for the most part , but still do it occasionally. Mah drink of choice has always been JackDaniels and Coke. The Long Island Iced Tea is another favorite.

bullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:12 AM   #3
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Lagavulin straight, or a Johnny Black & Ginger with lime.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:21 AM   #4
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Champagne is my favourite. Even cheap stuff. I just love the taste combined with the bubbles, and I find that it is the nicest kind of drunk too - forgive the pun, but it makes me bubbly

As a rule i'm a Cider drinker. No surprise, where I come from in Somerset, UK everyone is a cider drinker.

At uni I was into Lager, and have been through stages of drinking Guinness. We also have a Real Ale festival once a year where i'm from, and a few of those are great (though I find ale drunk makes me really sleepy).

But I am a girl so enjoy things like - Southern comfort with lime and lemonade, vodka and cranberry, archers, midori, Cointreau (orange flavoured liquor) and most fruit flavoured liquors/schnapps or shots. As well as of course wkd's/Smirnoff ices and other bottled mixes. Oh, and Pimms in the summer

I enjoy certain sweeter rums like sailor jerry's or morgan's spiced, but too much is just so sickly. Wine I can drink and often do, but I usually regret it in the morning as it gives me a god awful hangover. Gin and Tonic is another one I might occasionally go for. Oh and Bailey's is great, but goes down too easy so I end up spending a tonne of money.

For shots, usually go for Sambuca or Tequila. I even used to love this technique for Sambuca shots where you put it in a wine glass, swill it round so there's some all around the glass, pour it out, then light the Sambuca left on the wine glass for a few seconds, blow it out, drop it down on the bar, stick a straw underneath and inhale the fumes).

Have also tried my hand at absinthe a few times, but I've never gone mad on it - seen a few friends with their heads over the toilet after that

Jaeger Bombs are a bit of a craze over here at the moment (Jaegermeister in a shot glass, dropped into a normal glass with a small portion of red bull in it, and down the lot in one go).

Things I can't drink unless I absolutely have to - whiskey, brandy, Bacardi, unsweetend rum, cocktails with tequila in, Malibu (coconutty), and disarono (like marzipan).

BTW, all of this comes from 5 years of working in bars... as well as being British

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*

Last edited by hopefuldreamer; 04-20-2013 at 03:24 AM.
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:47 AM   #5
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullets View Post
I gave up drinking for the most part , but still do it occasionally. Mah drink of choice has always been JackDaniels and Coke. The Long Island Iced Tea is another favorite.
Me too. I also like Mojitos, Bloody Mary's and when I need a pick-me-up a Red Bull and Vodka.

I did my own alcohol thread a while back, but I realize this is a subject that probably gets mined a lot. http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=363139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow_22 View Post
Look for reports of mysterious heroism in the next 6 years. Then check back on this thread
H.E

Hail Hypedra!!!
JJJ's Ulcer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:57 AM   #6
RetrogradeOrbit
My own Dark Passenger

Back when I used to have a tipple or two, I'd very much like Stella Artois or if I wanted something smaller, I'd have a Southern Comfort and ice, no mixers though. Another one I liked was vodka with American Dry ginger ale and ice.

But since I got serious about getting back into my training, I very rarely have alcohol now.

Hmmmmmm, getting thirsty now, but it is before 10:00!!! Better grab a coffee then.

Edit:
Forgot to mention that I absolutely love port. I was lucky enough to have a bottle of 40 year old Graham's Tawny port over Christmas. That went down really well.

I got thrown out of a window! What's the f***ing charge for getting pushed out of a moving car, huh? Jaywalking?

My father gave me one piece of advice. He said "Always. .." No, he said "Never..." well actually he gave me two pieces of advice, I've forgotten the other one. But the important one is, "Never chase a man over a cliff".

Last edited by RetrogradeOrbit; 04-20-2013 at 07:00 AM.
RetrogradeOrbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:02 AM   #7
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

I love just about all Beers, Stouts and Ales, Tho I do on occasion love a good Whiskey

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:18 AM   #8
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

If I am partydrinking I can probably drink anything that doesn't taste too bad but if I'm just chilling at home after a long day I usually end up with a beer, preferably something dark.
I have found that there are a lot of really nice english beer out there, for example Guinness, Innis & Gunn, Kilkenny, KingGoblin and similar ones.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
gohei_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #9
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

Alcohol? Never touched the stuff.

Anyone who calls me a liar is a dirty Commie!

Manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #10
bullets
bang bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ's Ulcer View Post
Me too. I also like Mojitos, Bloody Mary's and when I need a pick-me-up a Red Bull and Vodka.

I did my own alcohol thread a while back, but I realize this is a subject that probably gets mined a lot. http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=363139

It's weird looking back at old comments. I don't even remember typing that.

bullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #11
Tigress
Mrs.Leroy Jethro Gibbs

That Naked Turtle rum sounds so good, I want to try some of that. I'm not really much of a drinker but like an occasional Jack & Coke, or glass of white wine. Maybe a shot of Absolute vodka, that's about it.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #12
Piper Maru
Coal for Christmas?

I don't drink much these days, except for a beer every now and than. But when I did drink, I liked Vodka and cranberry juice. And every now and than I'd enjoy some good old Rum.

The best part of waking up is Piper Maru in your cup.

A man walks into a bar with a giraffe.
They both get pissed. The giraffe falls over.
The man goes to leave and the bartender says,
"Oi. You can't leave that lyin' there." And the man says,
"No.
It's not a lion. It's a giraffe."

Piper Maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #13
NickNitro
Extra Terrestrial

Jack on the Rocks

Long Island

Peasant 3: ..... I got better.
NickNitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:15 PM   #14
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
Anyone ever have Crown Royal Maple? Believe it or not, I tried it with Coke and orange juice and loved it; tastes like breakfast.
I will get into some of my preferences and bartending stuff some other time (I worked in bars for way too long), but speaking of breakfast...

Drop a shot that is half Jameson (or any Irish whiskey) and half Buttershots (or any butterscotch schnapps/liqueur) into some orange juice and drink it like a shot/bomb. It's like getting drunk off pancakes.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #15
Blitzkrieg Bop
The Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigress View Post
That Naked Turtle rum sounds so good, I want to try some of that.
I recommend the Turtle to everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Darko View Post
Drop a shot that is half Jameson (or any Irish whiskey) and half Buttershots (or any butterscotch schnapps/liqueur) into some orange juice and drink it like a shot/bomb. It's like getting drunk off pancakes.
I'll have to try that.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #16
TheAQU4M4N
K1NG Of ATL4NTiS!

My favorite since HS is Captain Morgans, I like the LI Iced Tea they do now. Beer wise I love Heineken.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:07 PM   #17
Tigress
Mrs.Leroy Jethro Gibbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
I recommend the Turtle to everyone.

I'll have to try that.
I appreciate the recommendation, thank you. I will be getting some Turtle soon.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:14 PM   #18
NickNitro
Extra Terrestrial

Peasant 3: ..... I got better.
NickNitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:41 PM   #19
TheDreamMaster
Pain is Power

Jagermeister...or specifically Jager Bombs.

H.E.
TheDreamMaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:23 AM   #20
TheAQU4M4N
K1NG Of ATL4NTiS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickNitro View Post

I have yet to try that, I want to.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:19 AM   #21
Vapor
Omlette Du Fromage

This.

It's a German Weissbier or 'white beer' and is typically poured into those awesome pint glasses (providing the bar has them). I think it's 7.3% and it's bloody awesome. They're nice for just sitting in a decent bar with some friends and drinking slowly over an afternoon session.

But other than that I drink lager mostly, usually Fosters or Carlsberg. I do like my cider too, usually Strongbow as it's most readily available in bars but I prefer flavoured ciders such as pear Kopparberg, blueberry St. Helier and strawberry Brothers.

If I'm party/night out drinking I tend to drink mostly spirits and bombs. I mainly stick with JD and Coke or Vodka and Red Bull but some times I'll have a Sambuca and Coke. Sambuca is also my favourite shot to do - especially Black Sambuca but I normally do bombs these days as many local bars run offers on Jagerbombs (like 3 Jagerbombs for £5). Before Jagerbombs became really popular like a few years ago I use to really like two other bombs called Soviet Ice Bomb (which tastes like Palma Violet) and the Dr. Pepper but not many places seem to do/know them and when I get drunk I always forget what goes in them so I can't ask lol.

Cat: Betty Rubble? Well, I would go with Betty...but I'd be thinkin' of Wilma.
Lister: This is stupid. Why are we talking about going to bed with Wilma Flintstone?
Cat: You're right. We're nuts. This is an insane conversation.
Lister: She'll never leave Fred and we know it.

~ R.I.P Venom_UK
Vapor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:25 AM   #22
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Ah yeah I forgot about St Heliers and Brothers

Oh, my friends boyfriend introduced me to a nice drink the other day:

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:54 AM   #23
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Usually it's vodka and cranberry (with the odd tequila shot or two thrown in)... but I've never been much of a drinker.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Pfeiffer-Pfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #24
Monsieur Xavier
Guild Steersman

Beer : Guinness but my everyday beer is 1664 from Kronenbourg.
I like Whisky but I prefer Bourbon :
Gentleman Jack from Jack Daniel
Single Barrel from Jack Daniel
Woodford Reserve

Monsieur Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #25
regwec
Shakespearo

Accept no substitutes.