The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Guardians of the Galaxy > Guardians of the Galaxy

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #76
misjuevos
WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

Default Re: Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - Part 3

could just be the start of his thanos quest. i thought loki would take mephisto's place from infinity gauntlet, but who knows. maybe the girl is actually playing death

Old 04-22-2013, 10:07 PM   #77
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Default Re: Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by misjuevos View Post
could just be the start of his thanos quest. i thought loki would take mephisto's place from infinity gauntlet, but who knows. maybe the girl is actually playing death
But it said Ophelia Lovibond is playing an aide to the Collector, not an aide to Thanos. I think it's more likely she's Carina, his daughter.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #78
misjuevos
WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
But it said Ophelia Lovibond is playing an aide to the Collector, not an aide to Thanos. I think it's more likely she's Carina, his daughter.
ah, actually missed that bit, got overly excited.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:57 PM   #79
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
Maybe so, but the guy made an extra effort to keep emphasizing the word "COLLECTOR."
Yes, and I picked up on it even then, and said that the guy was insinuating that he was "THE" Collector, and (as usual) err'body scoffed. Dat Cherokee.

Sounds to me like some people *have* sussed out bits and pieces of GOTG in the past couple of days. The earlier report of Thanos' right-hand man being "The Controller" can probably now be chalked up to someone getting their names confused, and "The Collector" being the actual person he was talking about. Which makes me wonder now if "The Other" (Alexis Denisof) will turn out to be "The Collector."

Also, The Collector's daughter is definitely Carina, and that most definitely points towards the Korvac saga.

So, if "The Other" is The Collector, he's working *with* Thanos, and Thanos might actually be *worried* about Korvac's power. In which case, Thanos might actually need to *ally* with the Guardians, and Korvac becomes the apparent villain. Strange bedfellows.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 04-23-2013, 12:02 AM   #80
Whiskey Tango
#N7DAY14

So I guess I should probably read The Korvac Saga sometime soon.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 04-23-2013, 12:05 AM   #81
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

I wonder if he might be a collector of certain types of gems, and that the Guardians have the last one he needs. Didn't the original synopsis say they had something the whole galaxy wanted?

Old 04-23-2013, 12:07 AM   #82
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Having the collector working with Thanos kind of ruins his character though. One of the main reasons he collects is to protect his specimens against Thanos. Why change the nature of his character when they could make the othet someone else like the Grandmaster or any other cosmic being? Even Korvac could be The Other. Anyone other than the Collector. That's like making Dr Strange and Dormamu allies.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:09 AM   #83
Whiskey Tango
#N7DAY14

Quote:
Having the collector working with Thanos kind of ruins his character though. One of the main reasons he collects is to protect his specimens against Thanos. Why change the nature of his character when they could make the othet someone else like the Grandmaster or any other cosmic being? Even Korvac could be The Other. Anyone other than the Collector. That's like making Dr Strange and Dormamu allies.
Maybe he's doing it on the sly in the hopes of someday using them to take Thanos down? I admit I know very little about the character.

- Ryōkan

Old 04-23-2013, 12:09 AM   #84
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
I wonder if he might be a collector of certain types of gems, and that the Guardians have the last one he needs. Didn't the original synopsis say they had something the whole galaxy wanted?
He did have an infinity gem once but didn't realise. He collects various artefacts which could allow us to see other easter eggs like in the SHIELD vault at the end of Thor.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:15 AM   #85
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Thanos cordially conned The Collector into giving up the Infinity Gem in Thanos Quest. It was an amicable exchange. (At least initially. Thanos really betrayed him in the end, though.)

Plus, the description DCMF posted about The Collector's "foretold galactic annihilation" mirrors the Korvac Saga precisely. Of course, that choice of words, "Annihilation," could be a little more than coincidental, too.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:22 AM   #86
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkilban2 View Post
The possible set up storylines you guys are talking about now that can't or aren't going to be used just yet but can be adapted for Phase 3 makes me super giddy. The way I'm thinking is a semi MoE group and then ultimately Thanos ends Avengers 2, then Phase 3 takes Ultron, Korvac, and possibly Annihilius or Kang story elements.. so many possibilities!
I'd be very surprised if Marvel Studios had the rights to Annihilius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
So I guess I should probably read The Korvac Saga sometime soon.
Probably not. Doubtful Korvac will be the enemy this time around. Maybe in sequels.

Quote:
I'd think they're going to keep him pretty close to his original concept judging from the THR article. He might have one Infinity Gem, but I doubt he'll be a collector of gems or anything like that.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:26 AM   #87
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Thanos cordially conned The Collector into giving up the Infinity Gem in Thanos Quest. It was an amicable exchange. (At least initially. Thanos really betrayed him in the end, though.)

Plus, the description DCMF posted about The Collector's "foretold galactic annihilation" mirrors the Korvac Saga precisely. Of course, that choice of words, "Annihilation," could be a little more than coincidental, too.
I wouldn't really call that amicable. It was just a business proposition, more or less, and it was the only instance of them ever really even cooperating...if you can call it that.

The whole reason the Collector started abducting things was because he had a vision of Thanos. They'd basically be completely turning his character on its head by having him serve Thanos in the movie.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:28 AM   #88
Whiskey Tango
#N7DAY14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Probably not. Doubtful Korvac will be the enemy this time around. Maybe in sequels.
Didn't say he was, but in the interest of not remaining completely ignorant of the event it feels necessary.

Also, reading comics is fun.

- Ryōkan

Old 04-23-2013, 12:31 AM   #89
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
I wouldn't really call that amicable. It was just a business proposition, more or less, and it was the only instance of them ever really even cooperating...if you can call it that.

The whole reason the Collector started abducting things was because he had a vision of Thanos. They'd basically be completely turning his character on its head by having him serve Thanos in the movie.
He had visions of Thanos, Korvac, Surtur, and the Grandmaster. Probably more than those. Any one of those first three sound like very likely candidates for Phase II or III MCU right now.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:35 AM   #90
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Didn't say he was, but in the interest of not remaining completely ignorant of the event it feels necessary.

Also, reading comics is fun.
You should read it because it's one of the best Avengers-Guardians storylines. It showcases the intial friction between IM and Cap for leadership of the Avengers, allows Hawkeye to shine against a powerful enemy like the Collector and features a really epic battle to the death between Korvac, the Avengers and the Guardians. Oh, and Ultron shows up too, and it's also where we first see Ms Marvel working with the Avengers. It has all the classic 70s Avengers in it.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:44 AM   #91
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
He had visions of Thanos, Korvac, Surtur, and the Grandmaster. Probably more than those. Any one of those first three sound like very likely candidates for Phase II or III MCU right now.
Yes, this is totally true, but from what we know right now, it makes the most sense for his vision regarding this film to be about Thanos. Thanos was also the first he had a vision about in the comics.

You just made me think of something cool though. Maybe, through the Collector, we can get a hint at all the threats the Avengers will be facing in Phase 3? Surtur could be hinted as a villain for Thor 3, Korvac could be briefly hinted at...maybe even Ultron or Kang. That would be pretty nice.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:46 AM   #92
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
You should read it because it's one of the best Avengers-Guardians storylines.
More like one of the only lol. If they're pulling anything from the comics to use as a template for Guardians/Avengers meeting, it would definitely be Avengers issue 167. That's pretty much all they have to go with really, besides the Bendis crappy meeting in Avengers Assemble.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:52 AM   #93
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Yes, this is totally true, but from what we know right now, it makes the most sense for his vision regarding this film to be about Thanos. Thanos was also the first he had a vision about in the comics.

You just made me think of something cool though. Maybe, through the Collector, we can get a hint at all the threats the Avengers will be facing in Phase 3? Surtur could be hinted as a villain for Thor 3, Korvac could be briefly hinted at...maybe even Ultron or Kang. That would be pretty nice.
Oh, The Collector is a literal treasure trove of story seeds, no doubt. Between his prophecies and all the wonderful artifacts he collects, he can be "the excuse" for virtually any MCU story from here on out.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:56 AM   #94
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Yeah it would be like Oden's vault on steroids lol. That museum will be like Santa Clause's workshop for us Marvel philes. I can only imagine what they can put in there.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #95
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Oh, The Collector is a literal treasure trove of story seeds, no doubt. Between his prophecies and all the wonderful artifacts he collects, he can be "the excuse" for virtually any MCU story from here on out.
If he has several suspended animation labs scattered throughout the galaxy, that can be an excuse for the Guardians or the Avengers to uncover other characters whenever Marvel wants to pull them out. Marvel can also now, if they want to bring back a character, say that the Collector plucked them from the timeline and placed them in his collecting chamber before they died.

I think he's also functioning in a similar way to Odin's Vault and the SHIELD artefact vault.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #96
misjuevos
WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

http://screenrant.com/guardians-of-t...the-collector/

just an article about who ophelia might play, the collector, possible plot and connection to thor 3. also a history of the collector.

lots of links in the article, one takes you to who the villain might be for gotg. explains who the controller is.

Last edited by misjuevos; 04-23-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #97
T"Challa
Side-Kick

Lee Pace is in negotiations to play a villain

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column...s-galaxy-87421

Old 04-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #98
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

I hope he plays Adam Warlock/Magus.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
Old 04-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #99
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

I could definitely see him as Adam. Maybe even Korvac... doubt that one, though.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #100
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
I could definitely see him as Adam. Maybe even Korvac... doubt that one, though.
I'd almost bet on Korvac, as they've seemed to have cast Carina.

Closed Thread