Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: Batman Begins vs The Amazing Spider-Man
Batman Begins 123 86.01%
The Amazing Spider-Man 20 13.99%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-23-2013, 04:16 AM   #251
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Default Re: Batman Begins vs The Amazing Spider-Man?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosfeRomas View Post
I don't do this very often but im dealing an absolute here saying that whoever voted for The Amazing Spider-man has no taste in films and really doesn't give a **** about Spiderman.

The film is a copy of the Raimi trilogy that lacks charm, charisma, love and warmth for the characters (except maybe Michael Sheen's Ben Parker, i think he nailed it)

The movie basicaly ripped off Raimi's Spiderman so much that it makes you think that they didn't want to make a new Spiderman movie. Sony loved what Raimi did with the first two that wanted to keep it as it is but with a Sony coated look to make look new and fresh and original. They could do SOOOOOO MUCH MOOOOOORE ! with it but instead they decided to do a half-remake of Raimi's Spiderman. The characterization of Spiderman was more accurate than Toby's but thats about everything right with the movie.

And comparing it to Batman Begins and people actually voting in its favour is just laughable.
I voted for ASM so if that means I have no taste in movies that is a hat I happily wear. I could go into all the reasons why I prefer ASM to BB but the main one is the characters. I thought the characters in ASM were believable and relatable and that is first and foremost what I want in a movie (even more than a solid plot). I can forgive a movie for not having a strong plot but I will never forgive a movie for having unlikeable characters. I wanted them (ASM characters) to succeed in BB I thought the dialogue was exposition heavy (like all Nolan movies) the characters cold and distant (like all Nolan movies) and spouting dialogue in a manner that no one talk in (like all Nolan movies).
In Memento, TDK and Prestige I thought it worked wonderfully but in BB beyond act one I just wasn't engaged and that is the honest truth.

In ASM, I thought the movie was borrowing too heavily from AF#15, SM1 has nothing to do with it. I sure the film makers wished SM1 didn't exist because it's obvious to anyone paying attention that they aren't trying to emulate SM1 they are trying desperately not to repeat any of SM1, to their detriment.

Anyway bottom line, I prefer ASM to BB, reason; The characters.
Spider-Neil - No taste in movies.

Last edited by spider-neil; 06-23-2013 at 04:19 AM.
spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #252
kedrell
Band user

Quote:
I don't do this very often but im dealing an absolute here saying that whoever voted for The Amazing Spider-man has no taste in films and really doesn't give a **** about Spiderman.

The film is a copy of the Raimi trilogy that lacks charm, charisma, love and warmth for the characters (except maybe Michael Sheen's Ben Parker, i think he nailed it)

The movie basicaly ripped off Raimi's Spiderman so much that it makes you think that they didn't want to make a new Spiderman movie. Sony loved what Raimi did with the first two that wanted to keep it as it is but with a Sony coated look to make look new and fresh and original. They could do SOOOOOO MUCH MOOOOOORE ! with it but instead they decided to do a half-remake of Raimi's Spiderman. The characterization of Spiderman was more accurate than Toby's but thats about everything right with the movie.

And comparing it to Batman Begins and people actually voting in its favour is just laughable.
Way to absolutely lose all credibility.

People can have differing opinions. I personally prefer BB to TASM but it's by no means a landslide victory for BB. There are points at which TASM absolutely b****-slaps BB in quality, like in regards to it's action scenes. They're way better in TASM. And TASM doesn't have a glaringly bad performance right in the middle of it that draws attention to itself. BB has Katie Holmes.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #253
DX
YES! YES! YES!

91 - 15

SM1: 8.5/10
SM2: 9.5/10
SM3: 6.5/10
TASM: 4/10
TASM2: lol/10
DX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #254
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX View Post
91 - 15

I wouldn't care if it were 100 - 1
I still prefer ASM to BB. To be honest I prefer a lot of superhero movies to BB.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #255
DX
YES! YES! YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
I wouldn't care if it were 100 - 1
I still prefer ASM to BB. To be honest I prefer a lot of superhero movies to BB.
Hey, I'm not saying you shouldn't or anything. I just found that funny lol

SM1: 8.5/10
SM2: 9.5/10
SM3: 6.5/10
TASM: 4/10
TASM2: lol/10
DX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #256
Doc Ock
Hellboy for Halloween?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX View Post
Hey, I'm not saying you shouldn't or anything. I just found that funny lol
When Nolan's Batman is involved, it will always dominate the polls.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #257
doobie
Side-Kick

Batman Begins changed my life - got me back into comics books and sci/fi nerd culture in a big way, both the new world it led me into (comic fandom) and the stirring, strong nature of the story gave me a boost to get out and meet new people, at a time I was down and needed a life change. ASM, I thought was a fun, good movie but nothing I had to run out and see again.

doobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #258
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobie View Post
batman begins changed my life - got me back into comics books and sci/fi nerd culture in a big way, both the new world it led me into (comic fandom) and the stirring, strong nature of the story gave me a boost to get out and meet new people, at a time i was down and needed a life change. Asm, i thought was a fun, good movie but nothing i had to run out and see again.
qft

(X-Men-Apocalypse:Brace yourselves, WAR is coming)
BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #259
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Batman Begins changed my life - got me back into comics books and sci/fi nerd culture in a big way, both the new world it led me into (comic fandom) and the stirring, strong nature of the story gave me a boost to get out and meet new people, at a time I was down and needed a life change. ASM, I thought was a fun, good movie but nothing I had to run out and see again.
I saw BB and thought 'meh'. TDK is the movie that completely blow me away, and even with Joker and Ledger's death I wasn't rushing to the cinema.
If you want to talk about an origin movie that blew me away and changed the landscape it's Iron Man.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #260
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Spider-Neil - No taste in movies.
You said it, not me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
Hey now, don't hate on greatness...respect it.

If the mass would vote for Nolan's Batman, that should be telling you something. Fine if you would vote for the other movie, but respect it nonetheless. I respect that Batfans would even prefer The Dark Knight while my favorite of the trilogy is TDKRises because I know that Ledger's Joker brings in a LOT of love.

Last edited by Anno_Domini; 06-25-2013 at 04:00 AM.
Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #261
doobie
Side-Kick

Quote:
I saw BB and thought 'meh'. TDK is the movie that completely blow me away, and even with Joker and Ledger's death I wasn't rushing to the cinema.
If you want to talk about an origin movie that blew me away and changed the landscape it's Iron Man.

Different Strokes.... I am one of the small minority who loved Begins and found TDK a disappointment afterward. I missed the character moments and warmth. Iron Man I thought was very influenced by Begins, though I only saw it once I did enjoy it. Very few films grabbed me as much as Begins though, I'm a huge fan despite it's flaws which I do see. To me Begins is so good at "pushing my buttons" (ie, recreating my childhood favourite comic book parts) that I can forgive it anything. Though I can see why someone who didn't grow up being mad on Batman's origin wouldn't see the fuss.

One thing I liked about ASM is that it had the kind of creepiness...that the comic had but Raimi version never really got into. Like being in the sewer with all the spiders.

doobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #262
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
New shiny toy, I know. But good one at least.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #263
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:

One thing I liked about ASM is that it had the kind of creepiness...that the comic had but Raimi version never really got into. Like being in the sewer with all the spiders.
Garfield has the moves down. The scene where Spidey pops out of the man hole (when on the run from the police) and the pops the man hole cover back on is perfect Spidey.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #264
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
You said it, not me

At least MoS isn't my second favourite superhero movie of all time

Old 06-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #265
Anno_Domini
Banned User

You should say that to everyone else that also enjoyed MOS

Old 06-24-2013, 12:12 AM   #266
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
You should say that to everyone else that also enjoyed MOS
Not 'that' much

Old 06-24-2013, 01:41 AM   #267
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Uhhu....lol

Old 06-24-2013, 01:46 AM   #268
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Uhhu....lol

Old 06-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #269
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

Quote:

The biggest reason they rebooted it was so they could completely get rid of Raimi and deny him a producers credit.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:11 AM   #270
Morcego
Tadarida Brasiliensis

I liked TASM, but I think BB is a far superior movie.

Morcego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:50 AM   #271
Mr.T
Side-Kick

BB and it's not even close. BB is one of the top 5 cbm's in my book. TASM is down in the middle of the pack.

Mr.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:48 AM   #272
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.T View Post
BB and it's not even close. BB is one of the top 5 cbm's in my book. TASM is down in the middle of the pack.

BB isn't even in my top 10 as superheroes is an action genre and the action in BB is rubbish.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:56 AM   #273
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Worth pointing out that Batman Begins tells the origin of Batman that had never been told before whereas ASM had to tip toe around themes already shown (and shown well) to an audience that had already seen those themes. So ASM was at a distinct creative disadvantage. The same disadvantage that MoS has right now, and the reboot of Batman and Iron Man will face.

Two scenes in ASM that 100% wouldn't have happened if the Raimi Spider-Man 1 movie didn't exist;
1. Uncle Ben tip toeing around 'great power'
2. Peter falling into a wrestling ring

So creatively the film making are hampered because they can't stray too from AF #15 but can't directly use scenes from that comic because Raimi already did that.

It's like comparing BB to TDK, TDK is a far superior movie but TDK doesn't have the creative disadvantage of establishing the characters.

Last edited by spider-neil; 06-30-2013 at 02:02 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:36 AM   #274
BlackFox
Almost ninja

The main problem ASM had was that it had a better version of it come out 10 years before it.

(X-Men-Apocalypse:Brace yourselves, WAR is coming)
BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:53 AM   #275
Visualiza
What is a yout?

^I disagree. The problems went beyond being a cheap knock-off.

Visualiza is offline   Reply With Quote