The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

Old 07-31-2013, 07:50 AM   #226
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Default Re: Do you think The Wolverine could be the best 2013 superhero film?

Hit-Girl swearing has absolutely no impact now. It was shocking when she was 11. Now, she's just a teenager, it seems overly gimmicky.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:51 AM   #227
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

My ratings:

The Wolverine - 8/10
Man of Steel - 7/10
Star Trek Into Darkness - 6/10 (Cumberbatch out-acted everyone else in the movie!)
Iron Man 3 - 4/10
Pacific Rim - 2/10

The Wolverine was, for me, surprisingly good, considering how overexposed I feel the character has become.

Marvel has the advantage of solo films for Thor, Captain America, whereas Fox doesn't for Storm, Cyclops, so unless and until Fox starts to flesh out other characters, it will never match the Marvel business model. But I didn't like Iron Man 3 at all.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:56 AM   #228
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
Hit-Girl swearing has absolutely no impact now. It was shocking when she was 11. Now, she's just a teenager, it seems overly gimmicky.
Yeah this is what I fear, she was pretty endearing in the first as potty mouth little hit girl and I hope they don't over do it.

However I will not judge this film on trailers alone as I have some other films this year, I've learnt my lesson.

I hope its as good as the first

(X-Men-Apocalypse:Brace yourselves, WAR is coming)
BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:58 AM   #229
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
My ratings:

The Wolverine - 8/10
Man of Steel - 7/10
Star Trek Into Darkness - 6/10 (Cumberbatch out-acted everyone else in the movie!)
Iron Man 3 - 4/10
Pacific Rim - 2/10

The Wolverine was, for me, surprisingly good, considering how overexposed I feel the character has become.

Marvel has the advantage of solo films for Thor, Captain America, whereas Fox doesn't for Storm, Cyclops, so unless and until Fox starts to flesh out other characters, it will never match the Marvel business model. But I didn't like Iron Man 3 at all.
Yeah I don't see any other characters of Fox's being able to support their own film financially, only hardcore fans would go to a Cyclops or Storm film. Maybe Magneto as that was muted as an Origins spin off but would still be a hard sell to the GA.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:59 AM   #230
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
After watching the movie for the 2nd time, I say this is now better than Iron Man 3. And the great thing about this film were the funny moments, they just came very naturally and Iron Man 3 really failed at that. Iron Man 3's jokes were forced and silly. With The Wolverine, people laughed about the vetenerian operating Logan, the veternerian being a student, the room selections like mission to mars, the bath tub scene, Yukio telling that she's Logan's bodyguard, Logan throwing Noburo in the pool.
i totally agree and i think it is a big problem with alot of films especially marvel studios thor did it aswell

alot of these film try to be too comedic to balance the seriousness and it gets too comedic and forced

the wolverine brought a sense of levity to the movie

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:03 AM   #231
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
Yeah I don't see any other characters of Fox's being able to support their own film financially, only hardcore fans would go to a Cyclops or Storm film. Maybe Magneto as that was muted as an Origins spin off but would still be a hard sell to the GA.
Yep, we'd never get a solo movie for Storm, Cyclops, or any others, so what Fox must do is give the characters more development in the team movies rather than letting Wolverine steal the show all the time.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:36 AM   #232
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

I don't want the X-men characters to have solos. Just more development time in their own films.

My biggest gripe with the whole series is the power levels of the mutants. Cyclops is a stiff who looks like he can barely handle anyone with his optic blasts. Doesnt come off as a real leader.
Storm is so limited, omg... and she goes from super powered wind sorceress to having trouble with toad, i dont get it. And these guys are supposed to be the heavy hitters.
We'll see in the future especially with Giant Robots flying around everywhere.

The first class model was excellent.

ciscostudent561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:47 AM   #233
Project862006
Banned User

i still think a gambit film can work if they adapt thieves guild storyline and his origins

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:32 PM   #234
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Yeah maybe Gambit but need to recast him first. Has that guy Taylor Kitsch ever been in a decent film lol.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:40 PM   #235
ThanosOfTitans
The Mad Titan

Thor (most likely) or
Man of Steel

ThanosOfTitans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:57 PM   #236
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Yeah maybe Gambit but need to recast him first. Has that guy Taylor Kitsch ever been in a decent film lol.
Ernnm I think Wolverine might be the only film he's been in that hasn't flopped

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:24 PM   #237
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Ernnm I think Wolverine might be the only film he's been in that hasn't flopped
Ah so that was his high point, oh dear

Maybe it wasnt his fault, its not like they got Wolverine right in that movie either

Old 07-31-2013, 04:33 PM   #238
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

The last act of this film kills any chance it had of being the best superhero film of the year. Iron Man 3 built to a solid, and strangely poignant third act. The Man of Steel might have the best superhero film third act other then perhaps TDK.

But the Wolverine's third act might be worse then third acts of Origns, Spidey 3, and Last Stand. It blew me away how bad it was.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:40 PM   #239
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
The last act of this film kills any chance it had of being the best superhero film of the year. Iron Man 3 built to a solid, and strangely poignant third act. The Man of Steel might have the best superhero film third act other then perhaps TDK.

But the Wolverine's third act might be worse then third acts of Origns, Spidey 3, and Last Stand. It blew me away how bad it was.
Worse than Deadpool and the memory wipe bullet??? Not a chance in my book.

The Wolverines third act is familiar ground, granted, but no worse than Ironman 1 or 2 or the Avengers or Thor for that matter. Its just not quite as good as the brilliance of what came before.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:42 PM   #240
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:

Strangely poignant? A **** load of remote controlled suits flying around? And then Pepper Potts coming back from presumed death (a 200ft drop into a raging inferno) with her clothes, hair and make-up also regenerated by her new ass-kicking superpowers (and how we all laughed at that). Then the big reveal that Killian is, to all intents and purposes, the Mandarin. I don't see any of that as 'poignant', it's a typical action-packed superhero movie climax. Not to mention a procedure is suddenly discovered to remove the shrapnel (and thus, the arc reactor).

The Wolverine is no different in escalating its events into a showdown climax with near-deaths and revelations. But it was done on a smaller scale and with less CGI and excessive explosions. So that's why it wins, for me anyway.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:43 PM   #241
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

I still think Avengers third act trumps any other superhero movie's big finale in recent memory. That was 30 minutes of pure fun.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:50 PM   #242
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Strangely poignant? A **** load of remote controlled suits flying around? And then Pepper Potts coming back from presumed death (a 200ft drop into a raging inferno) with her clothes, hair and make-up also regenerated by her new ass-kicking superpowers (and how we all laughed at that). Then the big reveal that Killian is, to all intents and purposes, the Mandarin. I don't see any of that as 'poignant', it's a typical action-packed superhero movie climax. Not to mention a procedure is suddenly discovered to remove the shrapnel (and thus, the arc reactor).

The Wolverine is no different in escalating its events into a showdown climax with near-deaths and revelations. But it was done on a smaller scale and with less CGI and excessive explosions. So that's why it wins, for me anyway.
I loved the hell out Iron Man 3, but I wouldn't call any of it poignant, either. I was just happy he went back for the 'dummy' robot in the wreckage of his house.

If the mech-Silver Samurai suit had been out destroying Tokyo in the third act, I would have thought...yep, too far. But it was still fairly contained for what it was, and even though the Shingen fight was a far superior scene, it didn't bother me, at least not enough to make me like the movie any less for it.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:51 PM   #243
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
I still think Avengers third act trumps any other superhero movie's big finale in recent memory. That was 30 minutes of pure fun.
It was good fun and decent CGI effects, but the trouble with it for me is I need to care about the fight and not just the hero side. Honestly I can not for the life of me remember the name of the enemy the Avengers were fighting or why they were even their in the first place, they were just CGI punchbags for the Avengers to look good against. Again it did LOOK spectacular but it had zero substance.

Compare that to Batman V Bane in TDKR which is in my book a far better fight because both sides are developed in the story you know why they are fighting, whats at stake and the motivations of both parties.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:56 PM   #244
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
It was good fun and decent CGI effects, but the trouble with it for me is I need to care about the fight and not just the hero side. Honestly I can not for the life of me remember the name of the enemy the Avengers were fighting or why they were even their in the first place, they were just CGI punchbags for the Avengers to look good against. Again it did LOOK spectacular but it had zero substance.

Compare that to Batman V Bane in TDKR which is in my book a far better fight because both sides are developed in the story you know why they are fighting.
There were too many plot holes in TDKR for me leading up to the final Batman/Bane fight. It was still pretty cool, but Avengers was just awesome. It was funny, the action was great, and it reminded of how fun the Death Star battle was to see in the original Star Wars.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:57 PM   #245
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Worse than Deadpool and the memory wipe bullet??? Not a chance in my book.

The Wolverines third act is familiar ground, granted, but no worse than Ironman 1 or 2 or the Avengers or Thor for that matter. Its just not quite as good as the brilliance of what came before.
The third act of Origins is horrible. But then they had the scenes with Kayla and it works. Those moments work. Not one moment in the final act of the Wolverine worked for me. Maybe the little quip when he finished the Samurai, but that is really it. I was shocked by how bad it was.

The Avengers third act is worlds better. Right up there with TDK and MoS. Thor has arguably the best scene in the MCU. The Thor and Loki showdown is brilliant. I actually teared up the first time, but then again I am a brother and I know exactly how both men felt in that moment.

Iron Man 2, don't really care for but it at least looks good, but Iron Man vs. Iron Monger I really like. Nice combination of comedy and combat.

Quote:

Tony vs. Killian. After everything that came before, they found poignancy. I am still not sure how, but once Tony and Killian stare one another down, they had me completely. And then came the best hand to hand fight I had seen in a comic book film. Well, until MoS. Still, incredible really.

And the Wolverine doesn't escalate events. It just gets dumb. Not even visually, stunningly dumb. Just really, really dumb. I still can't believe that after the incredible Logan/Shingen showdown, all that took place after.

Quote:
It is definitely in my top three or four. It battles Kick-Ass for that third spot. It is great.

Quote:
There were too many plot holes in TDKR for me leading up to the final Batman/Bane fight. It was still pretty cool, but Avengers was just awesome. It was funny, the action was great, and it reminded of how fun the Death Star battle was to see in the original Star Wars.
See the finale of the Avengers reminds me more of the end of The Temple of Doom. Insane, out of this world chaos, that really works. The comic book finale that reminds me most of the original Star Wars finale is MoS.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:59 PM   #246
Human Torch
I Yam What I Yam

I'll say:

Star Trek Into Darkness (not a CBM,but whatever)
Iron Man 3
The Wolverine
The Lone Ranger
Man of Steel

IM3 & Wolverine are pretty close though.A second viewing of Wolvie could still change things.

I'm expecting Thor TDW to top the list by years end though.

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:00 PM   #247
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

I hated Kick-Ass, so that doesn't even come into play for me.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:05 PM   #248
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
I hated Kick-Ass, so that doesn't even come into play for me.
I love it. Definitely in my five favorite CBM. Brilliantly filmed and actually examines the ridiculousness of the comic book genre as a whole. Also one of the few examples where the film is vastly superior to the source material.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:07 PM   #249
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Agreed. Right when they had that team work shot of Ironman shooting Cap's Shield and then to all the other members working together it snagged the best final act for me. It just kept going and was very consistent imo.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:09 PM   #250
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
I love it. Definitely in my five favorite CBM. Brilliantly filmed and actually examines the ridiculousness of the comic book genre as a whole. Also one of the few examples where the film is vastly superior to the source material.
I had never read any of the comics when I saw it (still haven't). The kid was pretty funny, but I thought movie was just stupid. I get that it was taking on the genre...but by the time I finished watching it, I wished that I'd just watched a superhero movie instead. I prefer that silliness.