The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

Old 07-31-2013, 06:13 PM   #276
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Default Re: Do you think The Wolverine could be the best 2013 superhero film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
At the funeral, Yukio explained the Silver Samurai suit to Logan as something that would watch over Yashida forever (can't remember the exact lines, I'll check when I see it again tomorrow) forever. So Yashida had been obtaining adamantium, and had the suit built in its image. We never knew how they planned to extract Logan's healing factor because they didn't catch him until the end of the movie. The suit would be what kept him alive.
I remember the funeral scene. I understand what Yukio is saying. That doesn't need to lead to a big suit of armor. It doesn't. It does because they wanted a mech in the film, but nothing about the story or plot needed for that to happen.

On the suit keeping him alive past the point, I never got that. What I got was that the suit was there to keep him alive until he could get the healing factor. Once he had it, Logan wouldn't so it would be "his". No indication that he would require the suit after. I think he even says we built this suit to keep me alive and to take from you what you wouldn't give willingly.

Thus I am pretty sure the suit wasn't necessary to either take the ability or to keep Yashida alive past that point. Thus stick him in a healing chamber and just transfer the healing factor while Logan is knocked out.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:17 PM   #277
Crimz
Side-Kick

Just came back from watching The Wolverine for the first time and found it quite boring. It was good and fast paced with great action at the beginning, but then it started to lose me with the unnecessary romance and it went downhill after that.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
The only interesting part was when his claws were severed and when you saw Professor. X with Magneto at the end.

Crimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:17 PM   #278
BlackFox
Kuzuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
I remember the funeral scene. I understand what Yukio is saying. That doesn't need to lead to a big suit of armor. It doesn't. It does because they wanted a mech in the film, but nothing about the story or plot needed for that to happen.

On the suit keeping him alive past the point, I never got that. What I got was that the suit was there to keep him alive until he could get the healing factor. Once he had it, Logan wouldn't so it would be "his". No indication that he would require the suit after. I think he even says we built this suit to keep me alive and to take from you what you wouldn't give willingly.

Thus I am pretty sure the suit wasn't necessary to either take the ability or to keep Yashida alive past that point. Thus stick him in a healing chamber and just transfer the healing factor while Logan is knocked out.
How was he meant to take it by force in a healing chamber exactly??

I think you may need to watch this again because you seem to be missing some major points from the the film that were well explained.

HAWKEYE PUNISHER WOLVERINE WAR MACHINE

DREDD
BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:18 PM   #279
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
It's a matter of taste and opinion, of course.

But the Wolverine climax mostly worked for me. I did think they went OTT with Viper (hated her spitting green poison clouds but didn't mind her shedding skin as she healed herself).

I liked the rest, including Mariko using the severed claws (it was established earlier in the film she was an expert with knives). And I thought Yukio definitely had to show up.

I'd have preferred Viper to have escaped into the shadows and then see a final glimpse of her in the comic book version's black hair as she fled the country.
Being good at throwing knives is one thing. What she did would make Hawkeye jealous. I don't know how she did it. It somehow hit him in the side of the head, even while the suit was covering it and she was on the wrong side.

And while it is a matter of taste, how it separates itself from the rest of the film is very telling imo.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:18 PM   #280
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:

That would be too similar to the way his healing power was disabled earlier on, with that suppressor thingy inserted while he was knocked out.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier 7/10, Noah 3/10
X-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:20 PM   #281
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Being good at throwing knives is one thing. What she did would make Hawkeye jealous. I don't know how she did it. It somehow hit him in the side of the head, even while the suit was covering it and she was on the wrong side.

And while it is a matter of taste, how it separates itself from the rest of the film is very telling imo.
She didn't throw them. She walked up to him and stabbed them into his neck.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:23 PM   #282
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
How was he meant to take it by force in a healing chamber exactly??

I think you may need to watch this again because you seem to be missing some major points from the the film that were well explained.
The same way he was doing it with the suit? Just without a big suit. Whatever mechanism there is in the suit couldn't be used without it? Wouldn't it in fact have been easier?

Build a chamber with all the components in that suit that keep him alive. Use the extraction component from the suit, hook it up to Logan and easy.

I don't understand what is complicated about this? Viper could even lock his claws into place. Give him some drugs, make him upset, that pop like they do when he has bad dreams, lock them in place and if you really need to go through the claws you can.

But then again, I am not even sure why they let Logan leave the house. She had already put the parasite on his heart, just drug him.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:27 PM   #283
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
She didn't throw them. She walked up to him and stabbed them into his neck.
I just saw this, and I am pretty sure I am right. She throws the first knife, and he turns too look at her. She is pretty far away. She then approaches him. I might be wrong, but I feel positive that is how it happened.

Quote:
That would be too similar to the way his healing power was disabled earlier on, with that suppressor thingy inserted while he was knocked out.
And thus it would have worked.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:29 PM   #284
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
The same way he was doing it with the suit? Just without a big suit. Whatever mechanism there is in the suit couldn't be used without it? Wouldn't it in fact have been easier?

Build a chamber with all the components in that suit that keep him alive. Use the extraction component from the suit, hook it up to Logan and easy.

I don't understand what is complicated about this? Viper could even lock his claws into place. Give him some drugs, make him upset, that pop like they do when he has bad dreams, lock them in place and if you really need to go through the claws you can.

But then again, I am not even sure why they let Logan leave the house. She had already put the parasite on his heart, just drug him.
Having the crucial moment (removal of healing factor) happen while the protagonist and antagonist are both unconscious is not good storytelling.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:31 PM   #285
BlackFox
Kuzuri

Anyway the first two acts were better than anything in IM3 or MoS in total so the third act is not really all that important

HAWKEYE PUNISHER WOLVERINE WAR MACHINE

DREDD
BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:33 PM   #286
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Having the crucial moment (removal of healing factor) happen while the protagonist and antagonist are both unconscious is not good storytelling.
It is smart villainy though and thus good storytelling. But the problem here is they keep doing the old school James Bond, Logan gets captured or put in a bad situation thing.

Especially with the suit. You build it to take the healing by force, just don't lock up Logan again. Use Mariko as bait, have Logan walk in, Silver Samurai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
Anyway the first two acts were better than anything in IM3 or MoS in total so the third act is not really all that important
MoS might be my favorite (that or TDK), so I don't really agree. I'd definitely would have taken the Wolverine over IM3 until the last act.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:37 PM   #287
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
I just saw this, and I am pretty sure I am right. She throws the first knife, and he turns too look at her. She is pretty far away. She then approaches him. I might be wrong, but I feel positive that is how it happened.
I remember her picking up two of the severed blades off the floor and I definitely recall one part where she jabs at least one into his neck. But it doesn't matter. The point is that you missed the part where they established - and clearly stated - earlier on that she has knife skills that rival Yukio's sword skills.

Quote:
And thus it would have worked.
But not from a storytelling point of view. You can't have Wolverine die near the start of his own movie.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:40 PM   #288
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
It is smart villainy though and thus good storytelling. But the problem here is they keep doing the old school James Bond, Logan gets captured or put in a bad situation thing.

Especially with the suit. You build it to take the healing by force, just don't lock up Logan again. Use Mariko as bait, have Logan walk in, Silver Samurai.
It's NOT good storytelling to have the two key characters (protagonist and antagonist) unconscious at the pivotal moment. It just wouldn't work. There's no drama or emotion in two people lying down motionless with their eyes closed.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:40 PM   #289
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
I remember her picking up two of the severed blades off the floor and I definitely recall one part where she jabs at least one into his neck. But it doesn't matter. The point is that you missed the part where they established - and clearly stated - earlier on that she has knife skills that rival Yukio's sword skills.

But not from a storytelling point of view. You can't have Wolverine die near the start of his own movie.
She mentioned her ex was good at archery and won a tournament. She said he won at the tournament as well, but it was like the only moment in the film where I didn't quite understand her.

Though again. Good at throwing knives doesn't change that Yashida's head was deep inside the suit and the angle seem completely impossible.

On the last point. Well then don't do it like that. Why is weird plot stuff excused just because it is movie?

Old 07-31-2013, 06:50 PM   #290
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:

But they were using Mariko as bait. He knew it was a trap when he went there. They needed to lock down his hands to keep them still and get to the claws. That's why Viper was taunting him when he in the chair, to provoke him into popping the claws.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:51 PM   #291
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
She mentioned her ex was good at archery and won a tournament. She said he won at the tournament as well, but it was like the only moment in the film where I didn't quite understand her.

Though again. Good at throwing knives doesn't change that Yashida's head was deep inside the suit and the angle seem completely impossible.

On the last point. Well then don't do it like that. Why is weird plot stuff excused just because it is movie?
You're just overthinking and nitpicking. I was fine with what I saw. But not so fine with Supes and Lois to be necking in the rubble as citizens lay dying... not to mention Superman causing a petrol/gas station explosion that endangered/killed people, and causing massive collateral damage in the battle with Zod. He seemed to have little thought for the human race. And why did they take Lois into the spaceship?

But, hey, it's Hollywood! Stuff happens...

Old 07-31-2013, 06:52 PM   #292
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:

She had he was a champion with a bow, and she was a champion with knives.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:54 PM   #293
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's NOT good storytelling to have the two key characters (protagonist and antagonist) unconscious at the pivotal moment. It just wouldn't work. There's no drama or emotion in two people lying down motionless with their eyes closed.
Well, one Yashida wouldn't have had to be unconscious. Two, you are missing the point. I am using logic. If they want Logan awake, don't knock him out and tie him up. They wrote him into that situation and then decide to just wake him up because they need him awake for the "climax". Then simply don't knock him out.

The problem is the scenario in the first place. You keep saying "that would be boring", but then they wrote them into such a scenario. As I pointed out, just have the Silver Samurai waiting. Now I don't like the suit at all, but at least that works better on a common sense scale. Logan fights his way into the building, only to find the Samurai waiting, ready to take his healing factor by force. Instead they knock him out again and wait for him to wake up.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:03 PM   #294
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Well, one Yashida wouldn't have had to be unconscious. Two, you are missing the point. I am using logic. If they want Logan awake, don't knock him out and tie him up. They wrote him into that situation and then decide to just wake him up because they need him awake for the "climax". Then simply don't knock him out.

The problem is the scenario in the first place. You keep saying "that would be boring", but then they wrote them into such a scenario. As I pointed out, just have the Silver Samurai waiting. Now I don't like the suit at all, but at least that works better on a common sense scale. Logan fights his way into the building, only to find the Samurai waiting, ready to take his healing factor by force. Instead they knock him out again and wait for him to wake up.
Is it logical for the Silver Samurai to just be standing there waiting for days and days on end, as they await Logan's arrival on a 500km trip from Tokyo?

Makes more sense to ensure he is definitely taken there and secured, then for the various steps of the procedure to begin. Too risky and unpredictable to just wait for him to storm the building on his own.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:04 PM   #295
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
But they were using Mariko as bait. He knew it was a trap when he went there. They needed to lock down his hands to keep them still and get to the claws. That's why Viper was taunting him when he in the chair, to provoke him into popping the claws.
Then you don't need the suit. If the plan starts and stops with an immobile Logan, there is no need for a suit. That is is my point. If you plan on Logan showing up to fight, suit. Bad idea imo, but it makes some sense. They weren't expecting a fight, and thus why the suit?

Also, the claw thing seems completely contrived. Why the claws?

Quote:
She had he was a champion with a bow, and she was a champion with knives.
Thank you.

Quote:
You're just overthinking and nitpicking. I was fine with what I saw. But not so fine with Supes and Lois to be necking in the rubble as citizens lay dying... not to mention Superman causing a petrol/gas station explosion that endangered/killed people, and causing massive collateral damage in the battle with Zod. He seemed to have little thought for the human race. And why did they take Lois into the spaceship?

But, hey, it's Hollywood! Stuff happens...
See, I would understand if it was one thing or even a few. But to simply labeling me as over-thinking or nitpicking is completely unfair imo. I have stated my opinion and commented on arguments opposed to it. Not with "Logan's hair is wrong" but what I feel is major flaws in the writing and plot.

As to Superman, even though this isn't his thread, the film established him early on as having a temper. Zod threatens his mother. Almost kills her. He "overreacts". He is a young Superman, far from a veteran. He is learning. If he didn't care about mankind he would have joined Zod, not put his faith in us. They took Lois because they know she has a connection to Superman and want info from her mind. This is probably know this do to her article. They know how to speak English, so they probably did the usual alien intel grab, and Lois' article was everywhere. It is why the military pick her up. She mentions it later.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:06 PM   #296
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Is it logical for the Silver Samurai to just be standing there waiting for days and days on end, as they await Logan's arrival on a 500km trip from Tokyo?

Makes more sense to ensure he is definitely taken there and secured, then for the various steps of the procedure to begin. Too risky and unpredictable to just wait for him to storm the building on his own.
No, active him when Logan shows up. That is what they did. They waited for him to storm. That is what the ninjas were for.

But in terms of plot, if you are going to do that, have Logan get through the ninjas somehow, and in his weakened state, active the armor.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:09 PM   #297
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:

Exactly. The reason they put the bug on his heart in the first place was to weaken him so they could capture him. That didn't work, so they lured him there using Mariko. By then, he was back at his full strength, so they had to knock him out, because they couldn't have captured him otherwise.

The ninja fight was too short, but we know now that it was edited down and we're getting the full version on the blu-ray.

And because of Logan's healing factor, there was no telling how long he'd be out, because his healing factor gets rid of toxins quickly. He woke up, she provoked him to get him to pop his claws, and sent the suit to hack off the claws to get at his healing factor. Mariko just got in the middle of it.

Makes perfect sense, and it's better than just having Logan out cold the whole time.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:11 PM   #298
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Yeah, it kinda does. The image of the Samurai held significance for Yashida, so when he had the suit built to reflect that. "One eye in the past, one in the future." Made perfect sense.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:16 PM   #299
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Exactly. The reason they put the bug on his heart in the first place was to weaken him so they could capture him. That didn't work, so they lured him there using Mariko. By then, he was back at his full strength, so they had to knock him out, because they couldn't have captured him otherwise.

The ninja fight was too short, but we know now that it was edited down and we're getting the full version on the blu-ray.

And because of Logan's healing factor, there was no telling how long he'd be out, because his healing factor gets rid of toxins quickly. He woke up, she provoked him to get him to pop his claws, and sent the suit to hack off the claws to get at his healing factor. Mariko just got in the middle of it.

Makes perfect sense, and it's better than just having Logan out cold the whole time.
None of this requires a mech built for combat.

Quote:
Yeah, it kinda does. The image of the Samurai held significance for Yashida, so when he had the suit built to reflect that. "One eye in the past, one in the future." Made perfect sense.
His son did that part right. Put on the samurai armor to fight for "his honor". A cowardly man trying to hold onto some honor, who in the process lashes out and proves he has none.

Building a mech built specifically to rob Logan of his healing abilities, when the plan the entire time is to knock him out and take his healing ability is not. Especially when once you have those abilities, no one in the world will be able to harm you.

What part of this film screamed "super suit"? This isn't Iron Man.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:20 PM   #300
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
No, active him when Logan shows up. That is what they did. They waited for him to storm. That is what the ninjas were for.

But in terms of plot, if you are going to do that, have Logan get through the ninjas somehow, and in his weakened state, active the armor.
They needed him secured. But of course he escaped the restraints.

And as for the claws, I presumed that it was to do with accessing the bone marrow (which is a key part of the human immune system and probably a key part of Wolverine's regenerative capability).

Evidently you didn't like the way it all played out, and that's fine - but I was okay with it (despite a bit too much Viper for my liking).