The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

Old 07-31-2013, 10:56 PM   #326
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Default Re: Do you think The Wolverine could be the best 2013 superhero film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post

I can no longer be objective about this!!!!!

When I saw it the second time, I couldn't believe how much I missed the first time because I was still like from getting to go up on stage. (HE SAID MY NAME!!!!! TWICE!!!!!)

But I did genuinely think it was awesome the second time, and surprisingly so.
Jackman seems to really get it and really seems to appreciate his fans. I love that about him.

And while we all would love good movies in general, there is always something special when someone whom you are a big fan of pulls one off. I am glad you can add another to your collection.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:00 PM   #327
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Jackman seems to really get it and really seems to appreciate his fans. I love that about him.

And while we all would love good movies in general, there is always something special when someone whom you are a big fan of pulls one off. I am glad you can add another to your collection.
He looked like he was having a blast. He and the radio station guy that was MCing the event started calling out to people on the escalator heading to the other movies playing at that theater. The radio guy told them to enjoy Turbo, and Hugh added, "Turbo KICKS ASS!!"

Old 07-31-2013, 11:03 PM   #328
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
He looked like he was having a blast. He and the radio station guy that was MCing the event started calling out to people on the escalator heading to the other movies playing at that theater. The radio guy told them to enjoy Turbo, and Hugh added, "Turbo KICKS ASS!!"

I now have this great image of Jackman, in Logan character, going to see Turbo. It is too much.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:56 AM   #329
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

I just can't see poignancy in Iron Man 3, as much as I enjoyed it as an action comedy. And don't even get me started on MoS. Every day that passes, my rating for this movie gets lower and lower. It's been a long time since I disliked a movie so intensely.

TW 3rd act had (mostly tonal) problems, but not once did it lose sight of the themes and the story it was telling. Whereas MoS, of course, had absolutely no story to tell.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:40 AM   #330
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Damn its just nice to being having this discussion of people even considering it being the best of the year.

Just to have The Wolverine compete is great, after Origins I dont think anybody would have expected much from this.

Nice to have a decent wolverine film full stop.

(X-Men-Apocalypse:Brace yourselves, WAR is coming)
BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:52 AM   #331
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

And I'm not even that big an X- or Logan fan. This movie just resonated with me. Full emotional connection.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:54 AM   #332
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Back in April I would've laughed off such a notion but here we are...and still waiting on Thor 2.

Spill

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:59 AM   #333
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
I just can't see poignancy in Iron Man 3, as much as I enjoyed it as an action comedy. And don't even get me started on MoS. Every day that passes, my rating for this movie gets lower and lower. It's been a long time since I disliked a movie so intensely.

TW 3rd act had (mostly tonal) problems, but not once did it lose sight of the themes and the story it was telling. Whereas MoS, of course, had absolutely no story to tell.
MoS has plenty of story. It is fallacy to say otherwise. You don't have to like the story, but to say it has none is just not true.

The Wolverine third act has more then tonal problems, it has straight up writing, logic and plot problems.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 08-01-2013 at 02:02 AM.
DarthSkywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:06 AM   #334
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
MoS has plenty of story. It is fallacy to say otherwise. You don't have to like the story, but to say it has none is just not true.

The Wolverine third act has more then tonal problems, it has straight up writing, logic and plot problems.
I can't disagree more. With everything you just said. And story isn't "Going A and then B, ooh and then C!", which is what MoS was.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:12 AM   #335
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
I can't disagree more. With everything you just said. And story isn't "Going A and then B, ooh and then C!", which is what MoS was.
What is story? Please tell me.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:22 AM   #336
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

"C is happening because B happened, which itself came to be due to A".

Old 08-01-2013, 02:29 AM   #337
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
"C is happening because B happened, which itself came to be due to A".
Jor-El and Lara attempts to save the Kryptonian race by sending his only son to Earth, because their home world has been destroyed through the decay in their own morality and sense. Do to their turning to predetermined birth, they are no longer able to see the forest for the trees. Choice has been ripped from their people.

Wow that was easy, and that wasn't even the first act. Didn't even need to get into Clark's nature vs. nurture situation, the power of choice and Clark's transformation into the world's first superhero.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:44 AM   #338
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
And I'm not even that big an X- or Logan fan. This movie just resonated with me. Full emotional connection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
Back in April I would've laughed off such a notion but here we are...and still waiting on Thor 2.
Agreed, I kind of forgot that there was even a wolverine film coming out until May and the trailers really didn't look that great.

But even if I end up liking Thor more, just the fact we have a decent Wolverine is more than I could have asked for or expected from this year, its just such a surprise.

I'm sure Ironman, MoS and Thor2 will win any poll on the subject as more people will see these films and have more crowd pleasing 'splosions and buildings falling down, but its nice they can make adult comic book movies as well with a bit of intelligence too not just kid friendly stuff.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:45 AM   #339
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Jor-El and Lara attempts to save the Kryptonian race by sending his only son to Earth, because their home world has been destroyed through the decay in their own morality and sense. Do to their turning to predetermined birth, they are no longer able to see the forest for the trees. Choice has been ripped from their people.

Wow that was easy, and that wasn't even the first act. Didn't even need to get into Clark's nature vs. nurture situation, the power of choice and Clark's transformation into the world's first superhero.
Oh, you really do believe those themes were even touched in the movie, eh? Nice.

And your whys-therefores of the first act would be excellent (and would make for the movie I was expecting)... if they were even there in MoS.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:53 AM   #340
SilentWarriorZ
men of bats

Wolverine was indeed a better Film than IM-3 .
They really kept it close to comics and made it Edgy which gave the Fans what they really deserved unlike IM-3 was just toned down after avengers .
Also the End credits scene was just Fantastic really looking forward to DOFP .

SilentWarriorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:59 AM   #341
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWarriorZ View Post
Wolverine was indeed a better Film than IM-3 .
They really kept it close to comics and made it Edgy which gave the Fans what they really deserved unlike IM-3 was just toned down after avengers .
Also the End credits scene was just Fantastic really looking forward to DOFP .
To be honest I don't really count IM3 as a superhero film it was more of a comedy film with RDJ occasionally in a metal suit.

MoS at least felt like a comic book movie and had some decent moments, even if the the third act was mostly CGI.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:42 AM   #342
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I actually want to see a solo film for Storm, either an origin story or a post-Xmen film like what Wolverine got.

But the problem with releasing so many spin-off is $$$. First they are still expensive to make even if the budget is under $150 million or even $100 million. It might lead to oversaturation and the GA just won't care to spend their money watching another spin-off movie.

The only way for FOX to match MCU's model is if they have more properties, like imagine if they also have Daredevil and Spider-Man. Along with X-Men and Fantastic Four, they would have four comic-book properties and in every 2 to 3 years, they could release a sequel to each of them and do a big team up movie in every 3 to 4 years.

But with JUST the X-Men, it might only work for DOFP because its the first.
I don't think they would risk a Storm spin-off, to be honest.

A better idea is to have X-Men team movies whose stories put the focus on other characters apart from Wolverine, Magneto and Xavier.

For instance, a plot featuring the Shadow King could be used to put more focus and development on Storm (as it did in the Wolverine and the X-Men animated series). A plot about the Savage Land could also put the spotlight on Storm (as in the 90s animated series).

A plot focusing on the Thieves Guild or Mutant Massacre could put the spotlight on Gambit, and so on. It's all about choosing stories that don't have Wolverine at the core of them. We can still have Wolverine in the movie, playing a key part, but the story won't be specifically centred on him.

It's really easy to do this, especially when you look at the big stories/characters from the comics that haven't yet been used. Apocalypse, Sinister, Shadow King, Savage Land, Arcade, Moses Magnum, etc.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:10 AM   #343
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
Damn its just nice to being having this discussion of people even considering it being the best of the year.

Just to have The Wolverine compete is great, after Origins I dont think anybody would have expected much from this.

Nice to have a decent wolverine film full stop.
This. After origin, i didn't think that this was possible.

Funny thing is,almost all my friends that had seen the movie thought it was boring, one even said that they ruined Wolvie with this movie...

...Guess it's time for me to make new friends...

Paladin-Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:13 AM   #344
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Some people behind me in the theatre said they preferred X3 and XMOW. And that is how Tom Rothmen are born.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:20 AM   #345
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

Quote:
Some people behind me in the theatre said they preferred X3 and XMOW. And that is how Tom Rothmen are born.
LOL!

A completely new species! Muties!

Paladin-Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:22 AM   #346
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

And they are among us!

Old 08-01-2013, 05:32 AM   #347
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Damn you GA, this is why we rarely have nice things.

Spill

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:04 AM   #348
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I don't think they would risk a Storm spin-off, to be honest.

A better idea is to have X-Men team movies whose stories put the focus on other characters apart from Wolverine, Magneto and Xavier.

For instance, a plot featuring the Shadow King could be used to put more focus and development on Storm (as it did in the Wolverine and the X-Men animated series). A plot about the Savage Land could also put the spotlight on Storm (as in the 90s animated series).

A plot focusing on the Thieves Guild or Mutant Massacre could put the spotlight on Gambit, and so on. It's all about choosing stories that don't have Wolverine at the core of them. We can still have Wolverine in the movie, playing a key part, but the story won't be specifically centred on him.

It's really easy to do this, especially when you look at the big stories/characters from the comics that haven't yet been used. Apocalypse, Sinister, Shadow King, Savage Land, Arcade, Moses Magnum, etc.
yup, this what i was hinting at i think in another thread... They basically did this with First Clas..

ciscostudent561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:23 AM   #349
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin-Hoss View Post
This. After origin, i didn't think that this was possible.

Funny thing is,almost all my friends that had seen the movie thought it was boring, one even said that they ruined Wolvie with this movie...

...Guess it's time for me to make new friends...
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
Damn you GA, this is why we rarely have nice things.
Well that's where opinions can be so alternate, especially amongst the GA.

The crowd I saw it with loved it and every person I have spoken to who has seen it loved it or liked it, this covers a range of people from hardcore comic book fans who really liked IM3 and MoS but thought this was even better and casual movie goers who just went because of Hugh Jackman.

But those people who prefer X3 or Origins are well entitled to like what they want but for me wolverine the character wasn't even portrayed in Origins, here he was, that's a big step up to me.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:28 AM   #350
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
But those people who prefer X3 or Origins are well entitled to like what they want but for me wolverine the character wasn't even portrayed in Origins, here he was, that's a big step up to me.
Of course, I'm not accusing their taste, but it does explain certain movies we're getting.