The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

Old 07-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #201
Double B
Side-Kick

Default Re: Do you think The Wolverine could be the best 2013 superhero film?

Yes, I'm a fan of Avengers but there is very much a 'TV' feel to the framing of some of the shots.

That said, it was more visually impressive that I expected.

Double B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #202
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

the bar so far has been set pretty low,
Wolverine was way better then I thought it was going to be
but still far from Avengers/First Class/Dark Kight good. It wasn't as good as Iron Man or Batman Begins either.

I expect Thor to be the best Super hero Movie though. We'll see what happens.

ciscostudent561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #203
Steamteck
Side-Kick

IM3 4/10
MOS 10/10
Wolverine 8/10

I thought Wolverine was an Excellent film and tons of fun but it didn't quite grab me emotionally to the depth that MOS did and the Final fight's consequences left me unsatisfied at the end. My 2nd favorite film of the summer. beating out even Pacific Rim.

Steamteck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:33 PM   #204
JangoNate
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin-Hoss View Post
While i like all the CBM so far,TW is the clear winner for me.

IM3 is a close second.But i don't like how...chaotic the movie felt.Especially during the last fight scene, with all the remote control suits.Also hated how...fragile the armor seems like.

As far as MOS...man, where to begin..

MOS to me is like an IMAGE comic from the nineties...all pretty splash pages art and that's it. the movie set the standard when it comes to action scenes, but because there's absolutely no build up to them, all the action scenes fell flat to me. The movie has no sense of..escalations.Things just happened.And much like Goyer previous works, it's too plot heavy, at the cost of everything else. Almost all characters just became plot devices.

The Wolverine does almost everything right IMO. The movie took it's time telling the story.It lets you gets to know all the characters.Also loved the fact that, when the characters interacts, they don't always talk about things that involved the plot, they have normal interactions-as we see with scenes between Logan and Mariko.

Even if the movie kinda stumbled during the final act,you get the sense that the movie was building towards it.There's a real sense of escalations..

So yeah...The Wolverine is the winner for me personally...
You see, in a way that's my only problem with TW. There was this very personal and grounded throughout the film that I enjoyed and then, all of a sudden...there's a giant adamantium robot with fire swords. The ninja fight before was still grounded, but SS felt like it didn't fit. It's like it was put in there to compete with epic movie third acts like MOS had.

MOS from the beginning, however, let you know the scale for this movie was going to be out of this world, literally, as it began on Krypton. Tonally, it was quite consistent. Add in Han Zimmer's score and I just had more 'wow' moments than The Wolverine. But in TW's defense, that's not what it was going for...until the 3rd act...and it came apart because of it.

JangoNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:47 PM   #205
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

I think if the robo-Silver Samurai had been blowing up Tokyo in the final act, I'd be more bothered by it, but for an action finale, it was still pretty contained for me to still enjoy it. Plus it had the women in the movie doing some fine fighting as well, which was great to see. They were in better shape than Wolverine was by the end of it all (except for Viper, of course).

I liked all three superhero movies this summer. Iron Man 3 was a lot of fun, although I feel like I've forgotten a lot of it since last seeing it two months ago.

And I really enjoyed Man of Steel, but I think it needed more *Superman* moments. I loved the final scene ("Welcome to the Planet. Thanks, it's good to be here."), because he'd finally found his home, which is what he'd spend the whole movie looking for. The only thing that bugged me about the last act of that movie was that it was so over the top that it started getting a little silly. I kept thinking of that scene in Galaxy Quest, when they're flying through the minefield and Alan Rickman is yelling, "Can you try not hitting EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM?!?!"

(but I thought the Superman/Zod battle was cool anyway)

But this one was definitely my favorite. It had the best story, and the best characters. I feel like this is a movie I can watch over and over and catch new things each time.

My favorite movies of the summer:

-The Wolverine
-Star Trek Into Darkness
-Iron Man 3
-Man of Steel

Old 07-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #206
JangoNate
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
I think if the robo-Silver Samurai had been blowing up Tokyo in the final act, I'd be more bothered by it, but for an action finale, it was still pretty contained for me to still enjoy it. Plus it had the women in the movie doing some fine fighting as well, which was great to see. They were in better shape than Wolverine was by the end of it all (except for Viper, of course).

I liked all three superhero movies this summer. Iron Man 3 was a lot of fun, although I feel like I've forgotten a lot of it since last seeing it two months ago.

And I really enjoyed Man of Steel, but I think it needed more *Superman* moments. I loved the final scene ("Welcome to the Planet. Thanks, it's good to be here."), because he'd finally found his home, which is what he'd spend the whole movie looking for. The only thing that bugged me about the last act of that movie was that it was so over the top that it started getting a little silly. I kept thinking of that scene in Galaxy Quest, when they're flying through the minefield and Alan Rickman is yelling, "Can you try not hitting EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM?!?!"

(but I thought the Superman/Zod battle was cool anyway)

But this one was definitely my favorite. It had the best story, and the best characters. I feel like this is a movie I can watch over and over and catch new things each time.

My favorite movies of the summer:

-The Wolverine
-Star Trek Into Darkness
-Iron Man 3
-Man of Steel
Great points on all of them. And Star Trek is up there for me, too. Loved that film and am sad I was only able to see it once.

I think another thing for me is that we've seen a lot of Wolverine over the past decade. I never thought I'd say this before, but I'm a bit burn out on the character. If they didn't do such a great job developing him like they did in TW, it could have hit me even harder.

Superman, however, felt like he could really strut in this film like we've never seen him before. It was just refreshing because I, and it's just my opinion, got the epic Superman film I've wanted for so long.

All in all, I just was hoping for a more personal battle at the end, and I didn't have that much of a connection with SS as a villain like I did with Zod. Zod just felt more personal a fight, even with the over the top action.

All in all, TW is a great film, and I've considered myself lucky to have enjoyed all that the CBMs have offered this year. TW is definitely the biggest surprise.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:54 PM   #207
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

After watching the movie for the 2nd time, I say this is now better than Iron Man 3. And the great thing about this film were the funny moments, they just came very naturally and Iron Man 3 really failed at that. Iron Man 3's jokes were forced and silly. With The Wolverine, people laughed about the vetenerian operating Logan, the veternerian being a student, the room selections like mission to mars, the bath tub scene, Yukio telling that she's Logan's bodyguard, Logan throwing Noburo in the pool.

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #208
marcvader
Lurker #1

This question should be asked after Thor 2 to be accurately answered.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:54 PM   #209
JangoNate
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
This question should be asked after Thor 2 to be accurately answered.

But...it's so far away...

Old 07-30-2013, 11:07 PM   #210
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
While i like all the CBM so far,TW is the clear winner for me.

IM3 is a close second.But i don't like how...chaotic the movie felt.Especially during the last fight scene, with all the remote control suits.Also hated how...fragile the armor seems like.

As far as MOS...man, where to begin..

MOS to me is like an IMAGE comic from the nineties...all pretty splash pages art and that's it. the movie set the standard when it comes to action scenes, but because there's absolutely no build up to them, all the action scenes fell flat to me. The movie has no sense of..escalations.Things just happened.And much like Goyer previous works, it's too plot heavy, at the cost of everything else. Almost all characters just became plot devices.

The Wolverine does almost everything right IMO. The movie took it's time telling the story.It lets you gets to know all the characters.Also loved the fact that, when the characters interacts, they don't always talk about things that involved the plot, they have normal interactions-as we see with scenes between Logan and Mariko.

Even if the movie kinda stumbled during the final act,you get the sense that the movie was building towards it.There's a real sense of escalations..

So yeah...The Wolverine is the winner for me personally...
I'm a huge fan of Shane Black's writing so IM3 was a good time for me. I hear ya on MOS. There are parts of the film that really stuck with me. But overall I left the film disappointed. Loved me some Faora though

The Wolverine got the character down better then any of the past X-Men films, so it really exceeded my expectations there. It's got problems especially in the final act like you said, but it was def one of the better times in the theatre for me this year.

Last edited by def28; 07-30-2013 at 11:10 PM.
def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:35 PM   #211
righthooksrus86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JangoNate View Post
Great points on all of them. And Star Trek is up there for me, too. Loved that film and am sad I was only able to see it once.

I think another thing for me is that we've seen a lot of Wolverine over the past decade. I never thought I'd say this before, but I'm a bit burn out on the character. If they didn't do such a great job developing him like they did in TW, it could have hit me even harder.

Superman, however, felt like he could really strut in this film like we've never seen him before. It was just refreshing because I, and it's just my opinion, got the epic Superman film I've wanted for so long.

All in all, I just was hoping for a more personal battle at the end, and I didn't have that much of a connection with SS as a villain like I did with Zod. Zod just felt more personal a fight, even with the over the top action.

All in all, TW is a great film, and I've considered myself lucky to have enjoyed all that the CBMs have offered this year. TW is definitely the biggest surprise.

I hear you...last year I was in Afghanistan so I missed out on Avengers, and TDKR...This year I was able to see The Wolverine, IM3, and MOS and enjoyed them all...it's been a really good summer.

righthooksrus86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:49 AM   #212
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
TV Like Movie?
Do you say that because of the GoT, Alan Taylor connection??
Because nothing about that movie looks "TV-like" to me...
and in this day and age of awesome premium cables shows, that's an outdated insult anyway
u crazy man, u crazy
TV still looks like TV. Cinema still looks like cinema. Insult still stands. I was actually excited about Alan Taylor... until I saw the teaser. The movie looks well-made, but only if we're talking TV. Just bleh.

CBMs really disappointed me this year. Thank God for STID and Lone Ranger. And hopefully for This Is the End on Thursday.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:59 AM   #213
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
TV still looks like TV. Cinema still looks like cinema. Insult still stands. I was actually excited about Alan Taylor... until I saw the teaser. The movie looks well-made, but only if we're talking TV. Just bleh.

CBMs really disappointed me this year. Thank God for STID and Lone Ranger. And hopefully for This Is the End on Thursday.
I was curious about your thoughts on PR but IMDB tells me your country is the very last place to get it.

Spill

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:05 AM   #214
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Yeah. F**kin' distributors.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:27 AM   #215
righthooksrus86
Side-Kick

Quote:

This is the End is still in theatres? feels like its been out forever.

righthooksrus86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:29 AM   #216
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Not in Greece. F**kin' distributors.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:51 AM   #217
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
I'm a huge fan of Shane Black's writing so IM3 was a good time for me. I hear ya on MOS. There are parts of the film that really stuck with me. But overall I left the film disappointed. Loved me some Faora though

The Wolverine got the character down better then any of the past X-Men films, so it really exceeded my expectations there. It's got problems especially in the final act like you said, but it was def one of the better times in the theatre for me this year.
Love Shane Black too! almost every action movies that i liked in the 90's was written by that guy!

And yeah...who doesn't love Faora? I've been saying this for a awhile now; this is a GREAT year if you're not only a comick book fan but also a fan of strong female characters..

Now let's hope that Hit-girl and Siff can keep the trend going!

Paladin-Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:03 AM   #218
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

iron man 3 - 9.5/10

man of steel - 5/10

wolverine - 8/10, maybe a tad lower (7.5 seems too low though :P)

kickass 2 ??? - jeff wadlow.. eeehh.. we'll see.

thor 2 ??? - i'm worried about this one (bring on the 2nd trailer)

www.redlettermedia.com
Repulsor Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:22 AM   #219
JangoNate
Side-Kick

Quote:

This Is the End is crazy funny. Hope you enjoy it.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:26 AM   #220
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

I really hope so, too. Thanks!

Old 07-31-2013, 07:28 AM   #221
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

LOL it looks like i'm one of the few who actually have hopes for Kick-ass 2

..you buncha jaded bastards...

Paladin-Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:31 AM   #222
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JangoNate View Post
This Is the End is crazy funny. Hope you enjoy it.
Yes quality film, haven't laughed like that at a film in ages

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:32 AM   #223
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Imma watch KA2, and hopefully enjoy it. But it doesn't look as good as the original.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:39 AM   #224
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

Quote:

funny thing is, i get to see it early at a press screening. i do hope it's good though. just yeah, the director i am yet to be impressed by, plus it looks somehow cheaper than kickass 1 going by trailers

www.redlettermedia.com
Repulsor Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:49 AM   #225
BlackFox
Name on the trophy?

Quote:

I was not overly impressed by the last trailer and I am slightly concerned it wont be able to reach the heights of the first. The comic book while excellent just isn't as good as the first but I'm not sure hit-girl will be quite the same now Chloe has grown up, just didn't seem as funny as before.

We shall see, it could be awesome and I am interested to see how it ends up.