The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 06:29 PM   #326
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 51

Some people are complaining about a 2 hour 10 minute runtime? jeez...most films (especially superhero films) only need 2 hours to tell their story...what makes this any different other from the predictable cries of "we want more plz, we want 3 hours!"

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Old 04-23-2013, 06:29 PM   #327
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel View Post
My friend has seen the film. Opening scene is on Krypton and this scene ends with Kal-El being sent to Earth.

Next seen is Clark in Alaska and gets into a fight with a trucker who's truck ends up ruined. Clark has a bit of a temper to begin with at the start of the film
Interesting if true...

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Old 04-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #328
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
I'm pretty sure it's more of a Batman Begins type thing, with it starting out with Lois starting her story and trying to track down Clark who is sporting the beard wandering about, flashes to his childhood peppered throughout then probably around the 40 minute mark he finds the ship/fortress and we get the jor el/zod/krypton flashback story then 1 hour in it's all superman from there out.

No way they start with lois and supes in the interrogation, they most certainly want to have supes have a big costume reveal
Yeah, the walk out of the Fortress is going to be huge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
Speaking of which… Batman makes his first appearance in BB at almost precisely the 1 hour mark. Is that too long to wait for Superman?
Now that we know the movie is 10mins long, yes.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #329
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Interesting if true...

Im just picturing an angry Cavill throwing a truck....

~SHH SIX~
Old 04-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #330
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
Some people are complaining about a 2 hour 10 minute runtime? jeez...most films (especially superhero films) only need 2 hours to tell their story...what makes this any different other from the predictable cries of "we want more plz, we want 3 hours!"
You want this to be like most movies? Interesting.

[QUOTE=ThePowerCosmic;25678155]Interesting if true...

Old 04-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #331
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaooz View Post
Im just picturing an angry Cavill throwing a truck....

It will definitely be interesting to see. I wonder what that trucker does that pisses Clark off to the point of wrecking his truck. It's like he really wants to hurt the trucker, but he knows that wouldn't end well, so he takes his anger out on the poor truck instead.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #332
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Interesting if true...

If this is true, it would go well with the younger Clark learning about his powers the first time and not being able to handle it. A strong jumping off point for a flashback.

Do we know where that was shot? I thought it was Smallville, probable tornado.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #333
mad-sci
Side-Kick

Quote:
You want this to be like most movies? Interesting.
I would rather have MOS tell an interesting, exciting story in 130 mins rather than drag it out for an extra 25 minutes, like SR. Of all the things wrong with Singers film, that is the most indefensible. If SR had been filmed for a 2 hour movie, it would have been much tighter and far better paced.

Last edited by mad-sci; 04-23-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #334
Reel
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

WHAT I RECKON THE STRUCTURE IS

War on Krypton. Jor-El sends Kal-El to Earth.
Clark in a bar gets into trouble with a trucker who he later sees and flips his truck
Lois arrives in Cordova, Alaska looking for Clark
Clark goes fishing. Hears Oil Rig explosion goes and rescues people. Holds up rigging to allow chopper to leave gets blown into water. FLASHBACK to 9 year old Clark first manifesting Super Hearing at school.
Clark returns to Cordova sees a bus FLASHBACK to 14 year old Clark saving bus and finding his ship.
Travels north and finds Fortress. Lois returns from Oil Rig and follows him.
Clark meets Jor-El hologram in Fortress and flies off. Lois finds Fortress.
Clark returns to Smallville and tells Ma n Pa Kent about Fortress etc.
Zod & co arrive to Earth space and send message to Earth.
Clark and Jonathan are out when Tornado hits. Clark saves day.
Zod & Co follow Kal-El's ship signiture to Smallville and threaten Martha.
Military deploy to Smallville.
Zod & Co come to downtown Smallville and seek out Kal-El. He arrives and a battle erupts.
Military arrive and try to take out all aliens.
Lois arrives in Smallville.
Zod & Co retreat to Black Zero.
Kal-El goes to Military base to offer himself in.
Lois comes to military and questions Superman.
Zod & co ship arrives at military base for Superman who hands himself over with Lois.
Ship lands on Metropolis.
Superman and Zod talk. FLASHBACKS to Zod vs Jor-El in war. Zod's inprisonment and escape. Krypton's destruction. Breaks into battle of Metropolis. Superman vs Zod, Faora, Tor-An, Dev-Em.
Lois still aboard Black Zero which begins gravity beam.
Superman defeats the Kryptonian's and saves Lois.
(There must be something I can't quite work out in what happens to Zod & Co. Either they kill themselves by accident or are put it in the PHantom Zone or back aboard Black Zero and sent into space)
Lois suggests Clark work at Daily Planet.
CLASSIC CHRIS NOLAN END OF MOVIE MONTAGE
Clark on way to Daily Planet as reporter. Lois Lane voiceover. Zod & Co inprisoned. Ends with Clark going into elevator and putting on glasses.

My guess anyway.

Last edited by Reel; 04-23-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #335
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

How does the DP fit in? I know most of us are under the assumption that Clark gets the job in the end. But a MOS extra said he was involved in DP scenes and that Clark does indeed work at the DP and he could see it happening at the one hour mark.

~SHH SIX~
Old 04-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #336
Reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonian God View Post
So...Did your friend like the movie?
Said it will rival Batman Begins & The Dark Knight. Didn't explain or tell me everything because I obviously want something to be marvelled at when I watch it for the first time

Old 04-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #337
Reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
If this is true, it would go well with the younger Clark learning about his powers the first time and not being able to handle it. A strong jumping off point for a flashback.

That truck belongs to a trucker who tries to start a fight with Clark in a Pub & Restaraunt in Cordova, Alaska. Clark does that to his truck because he is a bit of an angry fellow until he finds the Fortress. Still a hero but got a bit of a temper.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #338
fake
Side-Kick

Quote:
My friend has seen the film. Opening scene is on Krypton and this scene ends with Kal-El being sent to Earth.

Next seen is Clark in Alaska and gets into a fight with a trucker who's truck ends up ruined. Clark has a bit of a temper to begin with at the start of the film

So, did your friend like the movie? What was the response like.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #339
ThePhantasm
Feedin' the Wampa

A recurring problem in this forum is that people jump to the conclusion that others are "complaining" without reading what they are actually saying. We need to seriously stop doing this guys. It drags the conversation down.

Countdown to Mysterious Heroism | H.E.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #340
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Man of Steel

Rated Pg 13

In theaters June 14- see it in 2d,real D 3D, and Imax 3D

~SHH SIX~
Old 04-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #341
Whiskey Tango
2008 ~ 2014

Man of Steel with Snyder slo-mo = 148 minutes
Man of Steel without Snyder slo-mo = 130 minutes

Obviously everyone wants enough time to give the film plenty of breathing room. On the other hand if the script is tight enough and all the cruft removed and the film clips along at a breakneck pace from event to event then 2:10 should be plenty.

In the end I just want to be so enraptured with what's happening onscreen that I never give the runtime any thought.

With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."
~ The Road of Kings

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 04-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #342
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post

I thought it was in Smallville after the tornado as well. Now I'm hearing it's in Alaska.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #343
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
A recurring problem in this forum is that people jump to the conclusion that others are "complaining" without reading what they are actually saying. We need to seriously stop doing this guys. It drags the conversation down.
And out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Man of Steel with Snyder slo-mo = 148 minutes
Man of Steel without Snyder slo-mo = 130 minutes

Obviously everyone wants enough time to give the film plenty of breathing room. On the other hand if the script is tight enough and all the cruft removed and the film clips along at a breakneck pace from event to event then 2:10 should be plenty.

In the end I just want to be so enraptured with what's happening onscreen that I never give the runtime any thought.
That is all anyone can ask for.

I am a fan of that breathing room. Allows scenes, themes and ideas to become fully realized imo.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #344
Isearch4dope
Side-Kick

Quote:
WHAT I RECKON THE STRUCTURE IS

War on Krypton. Jor-El sends Kal-El to Earth.
Clark in a bar gets into trouble with a trucker who he later sees and flips his truck
Lois arrives in Cordova, Alaska looking for Clark
Clark goes fishing. Hears Oil Rig explosion goes and rescues people. Holds up rigging to allow chopper to leave gets blown into water. FLASHBACK to 9 year old Clark first manifesting Super Hearing at school.
Clark returns to Cordova sees a bus FLASHBACK to 14 year old Clark saving bus and finding his ship.
Travels north and finds Fortress. Lois returns from Oil Rig and follows him.
Clark meets Jor-El hologram in Fortress and flies off. Lois finds Fortress.
Clark returns to Smallville and tells Ma n Pa Kent about Fortress etc.
Zod & co arrive to Earth space and send message to Earth.
Clark and Jonathan are out when Tornado hits. Clark saves day.
Zod & Co follow Kal-El's ship signiture to Smallville and threaten Martha.
Military deploy to Smallville.
Zod & Co come to downtown Smallville and seek out Kal-El. He arrives and a battle erupts.
Military arrive and try to take out all aliens.
Lois arrives in Smallville.
Zod & Co retreat to Black Zero.
Kal-El goes to Military base to offer himself in.
Lois comes to military and questions Superman.
Zod & co ship arrives at military base for Superman who hands himself over with Lois.
Ship lands on Metropolis.
Superman and Zod talk. FLASHBACKS to Zod vs Jor-El in war. Zod's inprisonment and escape. Krypton's destruction. Breaks into battle of Metropolis. Superman vs Zod, Faora, Tor-An, Dev-Em.
Lois still aboard Black Zero which begins gravity beam.
Superman defeats the Kryptonian's and saves Lois.
(There must be something I can't quite work out in what happens to Zod & Co. Either they kill themselves by accident or are put it in the PHantom Zone or back aboard Black Zero and sent into space)
Lois suggests Clark work at Daily Planet.
CLASSIC CHRIS NOLAN END OF MOVIE MONTAGE
Clark on way to Daily Planet as reporter. Lois Lane voiceover. Zod & Co inprisoned. Ends with Clark going into elevator and putting on glasses.

My guess anyway.
Good outline. I think Pa Kent dies in the tornado trying to help Clark save everyone. If you recall in trailer 2 Ma Kent is seen hugging superman in costume so I'm guessing that's after he rushes to her aid after Faora assaults her which then leads to the battle of Smallville. After Clark hands himself to the military I think it's all escalation from then on leading to the big bang. I'm wondering where does the image of Clark sinking in skulls come in?

Old 04-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #345
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Pa Kent is going to be dead before Clark goes on his walk. I am so sure of it. The tornado scene is college age Clark and I don't think Johnathan is going to survive it.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #346
mad-sci
Side-Kick

Personally. I'd only worry about the runtime for these type of films if it was well below 2 hours. Best case in point - X-Men: The Last Stand. 100 Mins long to tell a Cure storyline AND Phoenix???!!! No way, especially as X2 was over 2 hours (X1 was short too, but Singer had no time, money or studio interest, which obviously changed).

I still remember HP fans complaining endlessly about OOTPs short runtime (2hours 10 mins), with the biggest book too. It was still one of the best and clearest films and adaptations in the series.

We all want more, I get it. I'd just rather have enough to keep me engaged, rather than overstuff a film with material that has ZERO relevance to the story, but just seems cool, or fans want it.

AND new topic.

Just WHAT is that beam / ship in the trailer - the Black Zero? Anyone else notice that its surrounded by 'debris' - vehicles (with people inside), levitated around the beam?

Last edited by mad-sci; 04-23-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #347
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad-sci View Post
Personally. I'd only worry about the runtime for these type of films if it was well below 2 hours. Best case in point - X-Men: The Last Stand. 100
Mins long to tell a cute storyline AND Phoenix???!!! No way, especially as X2 was over 2 hours (X1 was short too, but Singer had no time, money or studio interest, which obviously changed).

I still remember HP fans complaining endlessly about OOTPs short runtime (2hours 10 mins), with the biggest book too. It was still one of the best and clearest films and adaptations in the series.

We all want more, I get it. I'd just rather have enough to keep me engaged, rather than overstuff a film with material that has ZERO relevance to the story, but just seems cool, or fans want it.
OotP and PoA are the best Potter films by quite a bit. Both are amongst my favorite films. But I'd struggle to call either a great film. One major reason is a lot is left for your book knowledge to fill in, especially in OotP. There is almost no passage of time in PoA. In terms of pacing, the first two films are probably the best, though they have other short comings in comparison to PoA and OotP.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #348
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Yeah, I think anywhere in the 2 hour ballpark is plenty of time for a superhero origin film. Plus we don't know if Snyder included credits in that runtime or not. If he didn't, then this film is pretty much the same length as Begins. And even if he did, it's still only 10 minutes shorter.

Personally, I think a leaner film that packs a lot of punch could be another good way of coming off the (perceived) dullness and boringness Superman Returns. But obviously I'll have to see the film to know if the runtime is right for the story. I'm guessing it is though.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 04-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #349
mad-sci
Side-Kick

I'll admit that POA the film leaves a lot of info out from the books (ironic as its the best one), but I feel that Cuaron was the first director to make a HP film (as opposed to Columbus's HP book in visual form). The first 2 films had ok pacing, but there is SO Much unnecessary dialogue / bits that slow them down.

OOTP did have a lot of background info taken out, true. But out all the HP films I've seen with friends who are not big fans, it's the only one they clearly understand - its the only 'true' film.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #350
Kryptonian Titan
Banned User

Quote:
Said it will rival Batman Begins & The Dark Knight. Didn't explain or tell me everything because I obviously want something to be marvelled at when I watch it for the first time
Nice! Thanks for the answer.

Closed Thread