The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 12:22 AM   #851
LeXcalibur
Lord Luthor

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 51

i think 130 minutes actually translates to a more action oriented film in some ways. they don't want it to lag, and i'm sure there is plenty of added exposition they could have thrown in. don't want a snooze fest. i mean, superman returns felt like it was 3 hours long

Old 04-25-2013, 12:24 AM   #852
LeXcalibur
Lord Luthor

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 51

i actually realllllly think from some of the score, to the run time, to being the ambassador of the brand so to speak, ironman is the template in a sly way that mos is following to a degree.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:29 AM   #853
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeXcalibur View Post
it was a freaking donner love fest tribute! not rouths fault. ruined a franchise worthy actor for superman #fail
I believe if the focus was on it as a director's pet project and not a summer tentpole (and c'mon, realistically they could have dropped $50 - $100 million from SR's budget), it could have worked very well and we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 04-25-2013, 12:30 AM   #854
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreth View Post
WHat I like about him is that even after all the jokes and nasty comments about his "failure" he seems genuinely proud to have played Superman and will gladly talk about it.

Def

Old 04-25-2013, 12:31 AM   #855
Jim-El
"My Son"

If they had used the Return to Krypton footage and ditched the kid, the movie had a chance. I will always be a Donnerverse lover, but Singer took that and fumbled it away. Looking forward to the new direction!

"The Kryptonian prophecy will be at last fulfilled. The son becomes the father, the father becomes the son. Farewell forever Kal-El. Remember me my son." - Jor-El/Marlon Brando/Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut
Old 04-25-2013, 12:33 AM   #856
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

IIRC, people here wanted a Donner continuation and tribute more than a reboot.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:34 AM   #857
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeXcalibur View Post
routh was screwed by a donner continuation. all the people who thought an origin was not the way to go are gonna eat their words after seeing mos. you can do a fresh take when it has been so long (1978) since seeing one on the big screen. especially with all the comics and even comic reboots done since donner days. byrnes baby byrnes.
That's a good point, for all the endless complaining about "origins" Superman's has only been seen ONE TIME. And Batman not at all until Begins.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:36 AM   #858
Jim-El
"My Son"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
I am looking forward to the new direction. After this film, the Donner/Singerverse and the John Williams score can finally at long last be retired.
My love for the Donnerverse will always be there though.

"The Kryptonian prophecy will be at last fulfilled. The son becomes the father, the father becomes the son. Farewell forever Kal-El. Remember me my son." - Jor-El/Marlon Brando/Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut
Old 04-25-2013, 12:39 AM   #859
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Was it that or not wanting another superhero film that dealt with an origin?

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 04-25-2013, 12:43 AM   #860
Axl Van Sixx
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
I feel bad for him in the sense that he took (and is still taking) a lot of unnecessary crap from fanboys over a 6-year-old movie. How much would it suck to get the chance to play a well known super hero and end up reviled for it?

I'm glad he's doing well professionally however. he seems cool and isn't a bad actor by any means.
From what I've heard Routh is still thankful for his experience with SR. After all, even if the movie underperformed, it got him other roles in movies like Dylan Dog and Scott Pilgrim. Say what you will about those films, but it seems clear that Routh has a better career today than if he had never played Superman. Don't forget, George Lazenby was still milking his one cinematic appearance as James Bond decades after the fact.

So yeah, to summarize, FilmNerdJamie is 100% correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatSpider View Post
Its Bryan Singer who we should be scolding
Precisely.

Regarding the ongoing debate about the future of the DC Cinematic Universe, put me firmly in the camp for a Man of Steel sequel before anything else. The WB's impatience to mimic the success of Marvel by rushing out a Justice League pic seems like a recipe for disaster, IMO. Better to slowly build the characters up and make the teamup more of an event film.

Yes, it would be copying the Marvel formula - but that formula worked, dammit!

"We know the freedom that argues against communism is the freedom to enslave and the freedom to exploit."—Blanqui

IMT supporter
Old 04-25-2013, 12:43 AM   #861
Andreth
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-El View Post
I am looking forward to the new direction. After this film, the Donner/Singerverse and the John Williams score can finally at long last be retired.
My love for the Donnerverse will always be there though.
My thoughts exactly

"A human with me at the end, and human tears. 2000 years and I can still be surprised. In this I see God."
TRUEBLOOD
Old 04-25-2013, 12:47 AM   #862
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
Was it that or not wanting another superhero film that dealt with an origin?
Actually my comment was referencing when SR was in production. People hated the idea of a reboot and liked the idea of the Donnerverse with modern effects. Of course this is all secondhand info, since I hadn't lurked here prior to 2009.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:49 AM   #863
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denish View Post
New pic of..Not Cavill anymore..New pic of Superman:
It's like a less cynical version of this.

Last edited by redhawk23; 04-25-2013 at 01:32 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:54 AM   #864
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Actually my comment was referencing when SR was in production. People hated the idea of a reboot and liked the idea of the Donnerverse with modern effects. Of course this is all secondhand info, since I hadn't lurked here prior to 2009.
Oh, ok.

Have you read Last Son? That felt like a sequel to Donner's fims, but modern.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

Old 04-25-2013, 12:59 AM   #865
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

No, but I hear great things. Damn me for choosing law over stripping for a career.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:02 AM   #866
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-El View Post
I see your point, but since Superman is my favorite super hero by far, all other heroes don't compare. That is just my opinion, I know many disagree. I would consider a JL movie after a hoped for successful Superman trilogy.

Agree 100%
Superman is by far my favorite hero as well and I'd love to see him showcase his leadership skills with the League

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 04-25-2013, 01:04 AM   #867
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Van Sixx View Post
From what I've heard Routh is still thankful for his experience with SR. After all, even if the movie underperformed, it got him other roles in movies like Dylan Dog and Scott Pilgrim. Say what you will about those films, but it seems clear that Routh has a better career today than if he had never played Superman. Don't forget, George Lazenby was still milking his one cinematic appearance as James Bond decades after the fact.

So yeah, to summarize, FilmNerdJamie is 100% correct.

Precisely.

Regarding the ongoing debate about the future of the DC Cinematic Universe, put me firmly in the camp for a Man of Steel sequel before anything else. The WB's impatience to mimic the success of Marvel by rushing out a Justice League pic seems like a recipe for disaster, IMO. Better to slowly build the characters up and make the teamup more of an event film.

Yes, it would be copying the Marvel formula - but that formula worked, dammit!
I'm glad and all, and maybe im reading your comment wrong but but I don't know if you should group the great 'Scott Pligim' with Dylan Dog. :0

Old 04-25-2013, 01:06 AM   #868
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
No, but I hear great things. Damn me for choosing law over stripping for a career.
From what I hear stripper/lawyer is fairly profitable, AND you get to choose your own hours.

Stripper/plumber is not so elegant.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:21 AM   #869
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
From what I hear stripper/lawyer is fairly profitable, AND you get to choose your own hours.

Stripper/plumber is not so elegant.
The only career one can get away with the plunger boobs.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Old 04-25-2013, 01:32 AM   #870
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Hahaha.

If that was the film we got instead of SR, it probably would've been more appealing.

"

Old 04-25-2013, 01:39 AM   #871
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
The only career one can get away with the plunger boobs.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I...

... I have not tried that.

YET.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:11 AM   #872
Sharkboy
Hallelujah Pilgrim

Quote:
This. People love to crap on Singer and the Donnerverse now, but back then it's what they wanted. It's not like Singer wanted to do his love letter to Donner fans be damned, people knew what it was going to be, and he did it because that's what people wanted. They wanted supes to look like Reeve, they wanted the williams theme, they wanted the trunks etc.

If fans had their way with franchises, Batman Begins would have looked and sounded like a Burton film.

The Wind Rises - 9/10 Godzilla - 9/10 X-Men: Days of Future Past - 9/10 Edge of Tomorrow - 8/10 22 Jump Street 8.5/10 How to Train Your Dragon 2 - 8.5/10 Transformers: Age of Extinction - 7.5/10 Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10
Old 04-25-2013, 02:19 AM   #873
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
This. People love to crap on Singer and the Donnerverse now, but back then it's what they wanted. It's not like Singer wanted to do his love letter to Donner fans be damned, people knew what it was going to be, and he did it because that's what people wanted. They wanted supes to look like Reeve, they wanted the williams theme, they wanted the trunks etc.
citation needed.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:34 AM   #874
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post

If fans had their way with franchises, Batman Begins would have looked and sounded like a Burton film.
A lot of people did want that but if you don't think people weren't upset before about certain things you're wrong. A lot of people (myself included) on here wanted a new Superman origin back when Returns was happening. Yes I was happy that we were getting the Williams theme and yes mine and others love for the Donner film probably did cloud our judgement and allowed us to accept what we were getting. Although I think you'll find not that many people were aware of Brandon Routh who yes looks very much like Reeve. The fan favourite at the time was Henry Cavill who of course is our Superman now so you can't really say people wanted a Superman that looked like Reeve when Routh was barely known to us.

I was never that enthused for Bryan Singer, I always felt X2 was vastly overrated and Singer isn't the best at doing epic action sequences so I was worried about the action even back then (and I was right).

The main thing you have to remember is at the time Superman was in development hell and we were just glad to be getting another Superman film. And no it wasn't the Superman film we thought it was going to be but that mistake had to happen for us to get where we are now with Man of Steel. So I'm greatful it happened the way it did.

So yeah nostalgia can cloud our judgement and we could've want Donner Superman/Burton Batman movies way back when but it doesn't mean we were wrong to want that cause of the way things turned out. We're fans what we always want isn't best but that's why we're fans and not filmmakers.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME

Last edited by BH/HHH; 04-25-2013 at 02:38 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:44 AM   #875
Wheels
Encore! Encore!

Thank you Bryan Singer. Without you Man of Steel would not be happening.

Quote:
I gave you cookies!
-- Bo Dallas
Closed Thread