The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 04:50 PM   #301
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - Part 14

So, what ever happened with those hints about the twist from a few people about the Mandarin being a "collector" and "collecting things"?

Does that still have some relevance?

ゴジラ
Old 04-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #302
DN91
Legendary Outlaw

Do they reference Captain America when addressing War Machine's new star-spangled colors as the Iron Patriot?

Old 04-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #303
RaZaTrOn
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvieboy17 View Post
Well basically...

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I dont think it's implying he's giving up Iron Man. Those 42 suits that he built are symbolic of an unhealthy mind. He created them all in a feverish, weak mental state. By destroying them or as he calls it 'Operation Clean Slate' and then also having the arc reactor removed, he's taking away his dependence on the suits and the obsessive need he's had through all three films to be the one to solve the problem. Also, it's for Pepper. Pepper who has accepted his role as Iron Man but NOT his obsessive nature that's harmful to himself and her. Blowing up the suits in front of her is him putting his money where his mouth is and symbolically saying 'I'll put you first'.

It's clear enough though that from him picking up a screwdriver in the wreckage of LA, looking knowingly down at his hall of armours and then the last cheeky shot of him taking the robot arm in a trailer, that he hasn't given up on being Iron Man, not by a long shot. This is then confirmed when he has his final line 'I AM Iron Man'

So I don't think it's about him giving up Iron Man. I think people are taking that arc reactor removal too literally. I mean, he doesn't need the reactor for the suit, that's just him getting rid of his old baggage and finally moving on. It's the final step in him growing as a person that we've seen through all his film appearances. Because as Captain America says, he HAD never made the sacrifice play... IM 3 shows him growing up as a result of it. He doesn't NEED to be a hero now, he simply knows he is one.
Couldn't have said it better myself, I completely agree with you! I don't really understand the people saying it means it's the end, the scene reads the complete opposite!

Old 04-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #304
BatsDC
Tranktastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DN91 View Post
Do they reference Captain America when addressing War Machine's new star-spangled colors as the Iron Patriot?
If I recall correctly, I don't think so. He's repainted to look less threatening, I don't think Cap's mentioned.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #305
BatsDC
Tranktastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by antsman41 View Post
So, is the Space Suit scene false?

I'd rather have that than this Banner scene...

GOTG tease > Hulk stuff
Unless it's added in the American release, then yes, it's false. The Gemini armour's in the film for like 30 seconds, tops.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #306
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

The end credits scene, the lack of real references to the avengers and other elements are somewhat refreshing in my eyes. This is really a self contained film and honestly it's all the better for it.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Old 04-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #307
DN91
Legendary Outlaw

One more question...

considering that AIM is involved, are there any easter eggs/hints that refer to MODOK or something similar?

Old 04-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #308
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

Quote:
One more question...

considering that AIM is involved, are there any easter eggs/hints that refer to MODOK or something similar?
Oooh...and to add to this question...

Do we find out what becomes of AIM by the end of the film? Is it still up and running without Killian?

ゴジラ
Old 04-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #309
GRangerPrimeNYC
AgentGodzillaRangerPrime

Meh, I was hoping the after credits scenes would continue to being something that gives more insight on things to come.

To date, the worse one was the one attached to CATFA, which was literally just the teaser trailer to The Avengers.

The Shawarma one with The Avengers is fine, since it's the end of a Phase and we got a relevant Mid Credits scene.

Here's hoping IM3 has a Mid-Credits scene at the last minute, since the after credits scene doesn't seem to add anything to the grand scheme of things.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #310
BatsDC
Tranktastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijunexus View Post
Oooh...and to add to this question...

Do we find out what becomes of AIM by the end of the film? Is it still up and running without Killian?
No hints to MODOK that I saw.

It's not made clear, although I'd assume it is still running... Then again, we don't ever see a big AIM HQ that I recall anyway, so there's no real way of knowing, although I imagine there's more than just the area where Extremis soldiers were made. I'd imagine it's still operating.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #311
Waldini
Side-Kick

I've seen the movie ... currently typing a spoiler-ish review in the thread made for it. Feel free to ask questions

Old 04-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #312
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatsDC View Post
No hints to MODOK that I saw.

It's not made clear, although I'd assume it is still running... Then again, we don't ever see a big AIM HQ that I recall anyway, so there's no real way of knowing, although I imagine there's more than just the area where Extremis soldiers were made. I'd imagine it's still operating.

ゴジラ
Old 04-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #313
DN91
Legendary Outlaw

Given what happens to Tony in the film...

would a stinger involving the Guardians of the Galaxy make any sort of sense, especially with the fact that any mention of space still apparently scares him?

Old 04-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #314
Waldini
Side-Kick

Quote:

would a stinger involving the Guardians of the Galaxy make any sort of sense, especially with the fact that any mention of space still apparently scares him?
Tony is traumatised by the events that happened in The Avengers. Several scenes in the film feature this. However, there's no mention ( nor scene ) with the Guardians of the Galaxy. Was kind of disappointed by it ...

Old 04-25-2013, 05:44 PM   #315
BatsDC
Tranktastic

Quote:

No at all. Firsty, he's still traumatised by his brief vist to space... Plus he also blows up the Gemini suit, so the possibility is completely thrown out the window at this point.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #316
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRangerPrimeNYC View Post
Meh, I was hoping the after credits scenes would continue to being something that gives more insight on things to come.

To date, the worse one was the one attached to CATFA, which was literally just the teaser trailer to The Avengers.

The Shawarma one with The Avengers is fine, since it's the end of a Phase and we got a relevant Mid Credits scene.

Here's hoping IM3 has a Mid-Credits scene at the last minute, since the after credits scene doesn't seem to add anything to the grand scheme of things.
It's really not that kind of film, it would feel horribly out of place. The after credits scene actually makes perfect sense with the film itself. Anything added before or after that just ruins it. Neither Thor nor Cap movies need to build to the Avengers 2 either, Just have whatever build you need in GOTG (but not too much so it devolves into a big avengers prequel)

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Old 04-25-2013, 05:47 PM   #317
Waldini
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatsDC View Post
No at all. Firsty, he's still traumatised by his brief vist to space... Plus he also blows up the Gemini suit, so the possibility is completely thrown out the window at this point.
Indeed. Was a shame that "rumored" GOTG scene was just a rumor. They could've done more with it. However, the Banner cameo at the very end fits better IMO.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #318
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Pretty sure it is the other way around.
In terms of propositional logic, my statement is correct.

All x are y -- the rule
One x is not y -- the exception
Therefore, all x are not y -- the rule is disproved

Old 04-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #319
DN91
Legendary Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
It's really not that kind of film, it would feel horribly out of place. The after credits scene actually makes perfect sense with the film itself. Anything added before or after that just ruins it. Neither Thor nor Cap movies need to build to the Avengers 2 either, Just have whatever build you need in GOTG (but not too much so it devolves into a big avengers prequel)
Personally, I wouldn't be against a stinger that builds on a future Cap sequel in "The Winter Soldier", but only if it sets up that Cap sequel and not Avengers II.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #320
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't be against a stinger that builds on a future Cap sequel in "The Winter Soldier", but only if it sets up that Cap sequel and not Avengers II.
Yeah something like that would be fine, but like i said...it really wouldn't fit in IM3, that film is so completely locked down in it's own world it's kinda scary how much power Feige gave Black. The only reason phase one hinted at the other films was just to promote these two new franchises, but now everyone knows them...they don't really need it. I mean the Thor 2 trailer is already making waves without any need for a post credits scene from Iron Man this time.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #321
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Did anyone else read this?:

"Originally Posted by MichaelChen
Killiandarin karate-chops armors in half like comic Mandarin.(albeit because of extremis amped strength rather than chi amped strength)

Killiandarin is a mad scientist like comic Mandarin.

Killiandarin has a dragon tattoo like comic Mandarin.

Killiandarin is obsessed with achieving perfection of mind and body like comic Mandarin.

He's got a crazy scheme of the sort Mandarin tends to have.

Killiandarin is actually pretty much comic Mandarin except for race.
You know...with it explained in this way, I'm actually much more satisfied with everything.

In fact, it appears that The Mandarin is truly portrayed in this film in full force...he's just split into two different people.

You have the "heart" of the Mandarin (all of the "Killiandarin" aspects you pointed out, minus the race and general history of the comic Mandarin) in Killian, and then you have the "face" of the Mandarin (robes, terrifying nature, iconography, general appearance) in Trevor the actor.

I think I may be swaying from on-the-fence in regards to this twist and how the Mandarin was handled over to actually really liking it...and I haven't even seen the movie yet! lol

EDIT: In fact, I would bet that fans would be a lot more accepting of all of this if Killian was just given a different name. I would imagine that people would be mostly okay with him not being of Asian descent, but I think fans are having a difficult time reconciling that they've combined the characters of Aldrich Killian and the Mandarin into one."

Pretty interesting

Old 04-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #322
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
In terms of propositional logic, my statement is correct.

All x are y -- the rule
One x is not y -- the exception
Therefore, all x are not y -- the rule is disproved
An exception shows that a rule is established in the first place. To be an exception, you have to be different from the rule.

Thus rule proceeds exception. You can't have an exception without a rule. Thus proof the rule exist.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #323
Waldini
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
Did anyone else read this?:

"Originally Posted by MichaelChen
Killiandarin karate-chops armors in half like comic Mandarin.(albeit because of extremis amped strength rather than chi amped strength)

Killiandarin is a mad scientist like comic Mandarin.

Killiandarin has a dragon tattoo like comic Mandarin.

Killiandarin is obsessed with achieving perfection of mind and body like comic Mandarin.

He's got a crazy scheme of the sort Mandarin tends to have.

Killiandarin is actually pretty much comic Mandarin except for race.
You know...with it explained in this way, I'm actually much more satisfied with everything.

In fact, it appears that The Mandarin is truly portrayed in this film in full force...he's just split into two different people.

You have the "heart" of the Mandarin (all of the "Killiandarin" aspects you pointed out, minus the race and general history of the comic Mandarin) in Killian, and then you have the "face" of the Mandarin (robes, terrifying nature, iconography, general appearance) in Trevor the actor.

I think I may be swaying from on-the-fence in regards to this twist and how the Mandarin was handled over to actually really liking it...and I haven't even seen the movie yet! lol

EDIT: In fact, I would bet that fans would be a lot more accepting of all of this if Killian was just given a different name. I would imagine that people would be mostly okay with him not being of Asian descent, but I think fans are having a difficult time reconciling that they've combined the characters of Aldrich Killian and the Mandarin into one."

Pretty interesting

Might want to spoiler tag that though ...

But, yeah. I like it

Old 04-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #324
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldini View Post
Might want to spoiler tag that though ...

But, yeah. I like it
Yeah, spoiler tag it....
But MichaelChen, gotta say that's a brilliant observation about Killian. Well done, sir

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 04-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #325
The Ironstar
Side-Kick

I'm a little confused. Were people expecting more payoff at end credits? Was the movie too cartoonish?

Closed Thread