Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 05:44 PM   #326
Waldini
Side-Kick

Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ironstar View Post
I'm a little confused. Were people expecting more payoff at end credits? Was the movie too cartoonish?
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
For me, personally, the movie felt more comic-booky which isn't really a bad thing. But, as you said ... I felt somewhat disappointed with the ending. It's like, the battle is done. "Lets have a short narration by Stark and then BAM! The end".

Old 04-25-2013, 05:48 PM   #327
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
I'm a little confused. Were people expecting more payoff at end credits? Was the movie too cartoonish?
Personally I thought the ending was perfect, especially the final line really summed up beautifully what the entire point of the film was about. I wouldn't say the film was too cartoonish, the comedy is less childish like the stuff from the avengers, the jokes are very witty and the quips between all the characters was very entertaining to watch, but it really is the most humour filled of the marvel studio films so far.

I really think the best comparison is Spider-man 2.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Old 04-25-2013, 05:56 PM   #328
The Ironstar
Side-Kick

Ah,ty y two. It seems some people were expected something,but not what they wanted for the most part (which is good IMHO)

Old 04-25-2013, 06:02 PM   #329
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
Ah,ty y two. It seems some people were expected something,but not what they wanted for the most part (which is good IMHO)
It isn't the Avengers, it's not straight out fanservice meaning the film wasn't crafted in order to bring as much straight up "fangasms", it's a pretty challenging film for comic book fans and purists, other thant he twist you've got long stretches of the film where Tony is without costume, you have plenty of pure humour, that is not gags or references, but actual real comedy which changes up the tone massively throughout the film. It's strange and very very unexpected, it's definitely a film that deserves more than one chance because so many people will walk in expecting the film that the trailer promised only to realise its not that film at all, some people won't like it, some people will mistake the deception as a negative, but once you get a grasp on the film and what it's trying to do. I think people will understand how good this film really is.

Like i said it's challenging cinema, in my opinion the best kind.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Old 04-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #330
Raiden
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
It isn't the Avengers, it's not straight out fanservice meaning the film wasn't crafted in order to bring as much straight up "fangasms", it's a pretty challenging film for comic book fans and purists, other thant he twist you've got long stretches of the film where Tony is without costume, you have plenty of pure humour, that is not gags or references, but actual real comedy which changes up the tone massively throughout the film. It's strange and very very unexpected, it's definitely a film that deserves more than one chance because so many people will walk in expecting the film that the trailer promised only to realise its not that film at all, some people won't like it, some people will mistake the deception as a negative, but once you get a grasp on the film and what it's trying to do. I think people will understand how good this film really is.

Like i said it's challenging cinema, in my opinion the best kind.
Sounds like Marvel has a different gameplan for Phase II movies, and as a Marvel fan I'm looking forward to see it being realized.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Old 04-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #331
TacomaTruck90
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by antsman41 View Post
So, is the Space Suit scene false?

I'd rather have that than this Banner scene...

GOTG tease > Hulk stuff
Thats a bummer when I heard about that rumor I got really excited it seemed really cool..I wouldnt have minded him making a cameo in that but other scene seems pretty cool glad his next apperance wont be 2015

Old 04-25-2013, 08:16 PM   #332
SuperSpideyGirl
Side-Kick

Do they explain why Stark has that giant stuffed bunny?

Old 04-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #333
LuisTX85
Z

So are there references to Avengers and explanations on why Stark ain't getting help from them?,Like is it mentioned that Rogers is on a special mission for SHIELD and that Banner left somewhere??

Not a big deal or anything But just curious,Plz spoil me the reasons they give..IF any

Old 04-25-2013, 08:27 PM   #334
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisTX85 View Post
So are there references to Avengers and explanations on why Stark ain't getting help from them?,Like is it mentioned that Rogers is on a special mission for SHIELD and that Banner left somewhere??

Not a big deal or anything But just curious,Plz spoil me the reasons they give..IF any

It's very much a self contained story, in fact you'd be forgiven for thinking it's not connected to the MCU in anyway. In fact thinking about it, the MCU has nver been and never will be of great importance to the solo films, there's only ever going to be a thin thread connecting them all together.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:08 PM   #335
ShadowBoxer
Side-Kick

During production of the movie Kevin Fergie said that this movie is pretty self contained. He says the other Avengers are busy doing their own thing ( Captain America Winter Solider, Thor Dark World). But in the trailers Tony says he is having nightmares because of the battle in New York seen in the Avengers. So it's connected to the MCU but we don't know if the events in this will have any relevance in Avengers 2 or other marvel films.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:20 PM   #336
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBoxer View Post
During production of the movie Kevin Fergie said that this movie is pretty self contained. He says the other Avengers are busy doing their own thing ( Captain America Winter Solider, Thor Dark World). But in the trailers Tony says he is having nightmares because of the battle in New York seen in the Avengers. So it's connected to the MCU but we don't know if the events in this will have any relevance in Avengers 2 or other marvel films.
Feige said this movie does a lot to set up future movies, we just won't notice until later. RDJ also said that of the films he's been in, this does the most to set up future films.

I think the idea that there is a slot in every human's brain that, when unlocked, can lead to fantastical powers will be a pretty big thing down the line, for instance. Also AIM.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:43 PM   #337
ShadowBoxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Feige said this movie does a lot to set up future movies, we just won't notice until later. RDJ also said that of the films he's been in, this does the most to set up future films.

I think the idea that there is a slot in every human's brain that, when unlocked, can lead to fantastical powers will be a pretty big thing down the line, for instance. Also AIM.

Yea that is true!

Old 04-25-2013, 09:46 PM   #338
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Agreed, Dent.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:53 PM   #339
myword
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
Did anyone else read this?:

"Originally Posted by MichaelChen
Killiandarin karate-chops armors in half like comic Mandarin.(albeit because of extremis amped strength rather than chi amped strength)

Killiandarin is a mad scientist like comic Mandarin.

Killiandarin has a dragon tattoo like comic Mandarin.

Killiandarin is obsessed with achieving perfection of mind and body like comic Mandarin.

He's got a crazy scheme of the sort Mandarin tends to have.

Killiandarin is actually pretty much comic Mandarin except for race.
You know...with it explained in this way, I'm actually much more satisfied with everything.

In fact, it appears that The Mandarin is truly portrayed in this film in full force...he's just split into two different people.

You have the "heart" of the Mandarin (all of the "Killiandarin" aspects you pointed out, minus the race and general history of the comic Mandarin) in Killian, and then you have the "face" of the Mandarin (robes, terrifying nature, iconography, general appearance) in Trevor the actor.

I think I may be swaying from on-the-fence in regards to this twist and how the Mandarin was handled over to actually really liking it...and I haven't even seen the movie yet! lol

EDIT: In fact, I would bet that fans would be a lot more accepting of all of this if Killian was just given a different name. I would imagine that people would be mostly okay with him not being of Asian descent, but I think fans are having a difficult time reconciling that they've combined the characters of Aldrich Killian and the Mandarin into one."

Pretty interesting
I like the theory but doesn't make up for a fact the execution is piss poor.

My spoiler free review of Iron Man 3. If you're interested to read.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:05 PM   #340
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

You can sprinkle all the glitter you want on a turd to make it sparkle. In the end, it's still a turd.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #341
RetroNaz
Bom Bom Bom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
You can sprinkle all the glitter you want on a turd to make it sparkle. In the end, it's still a turd.
What's the turd in this instance?

Old 04-25-2013, 10:29 PM   #342
DN91
Star-Spangled Man

Quote:

I'd say Tony's final decision that he makes at the end of the film will also be a set up for future films.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:30 PM   #343
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroNaz View Post
What's the turd in this instance?

Mandarin's crappy twist treatment, and TeeKay's justification being the glitter.

Edit: Actually,TeeKay didn't originally post that. MichaelChen did.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.

Last edited by ThePowerCosmic; 04-25-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:35 PM   #344
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

So for those that have seen it, would you call this the, and I hate to even invoke it in here, the TDKR of the IM series?

Old 04-25-2013, 10:37 PM   #345
peterparker0077
Side-Kick

Quote:

Or maybe the fake mandarin is the real mandarin afterall? .. doubtful i know... but would definitely be twisty twist

Old 04-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #346
RetroNaz
Bom Bom Bom

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
So for those that have seen it, would you call this the, and I hate to even invoke it in here, the TDKR of the IM series?
I don't know what that means since I thought TDKR was the weakest film of the 3.

IM2 is the weakest film in the series IMO.

I liken this to Spider Man 2. It has a heathy mix of action, fun, and strong character defining moments.

It's easily my favourite, so I'd compare it to TDK in that regard if we're comparing to Batman films. But that's just personal taste

Old 04-25-2013, 10:41 PM   #347
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:

I have to question how true that statement is going to be in the long run, the only thing I can think of is that Stark's views have changed which is highly probable given the way the film ends and starts to believe that super powered beings need to be contained leading to a Civil War type scenario.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #348
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
It depends on how you interpret it. I'd rather position it more in the realm on Nolan's Batman in terms of tone, although there are overlapping elements. It's more Nolan than Avengers like lets put it that way.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:44 PM   #349
RetroNaz
Bom Bom Bom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post

Mandarin's crappy twist treatment, and TeeKay's justification being the glitter.

Edit: Actually,TeeKay didn't originally post that. MichaelChen did.
I wasn't a fan of the twist. But my wife and mates that came to see the film with me loved it (non-comic fans). They weren't wowed by it in a WTF type of revelation, but thought it was entertaining.

What disappoints me the most about it is
that Kingsley was so damn good in the role when he was "playing" Mandarin. And there's so much of his dialogue that was in the trailers which has been cut. I'm almost wondering whether the twist was a late edition or if they purposely played the fans. Or maybe they just reduced his role to give more time to Killian.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #350
jmc
callin' it like I see it

^ That kind of plot element would have been there from the start.

Closed Thread