The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 11:45 PM   #351
ShadowBoxer
Side-Kick

Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - Part 14

I think people are over reacting over the "Twist" with Mandarin. I read it and at first I was pissed, but after reading peoples reactions and reviews, and discussions, I will hold my final judgment until I see the movie next week.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:46 PM   #352
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroNaz View Post
I wasn't a fan of the twist. But my wife and mates that came to see the film with me loved it (non-comic fans). They weren't wowed by it in a WTF type of revelation, but thought it was entertaining.

What disappoints me the most about it is
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
that Kingsley was so damn good in the role when he was "playing" Mandarin. And there's so much of his dialogue that was in the trailers which has been cut. I'm almost wondering whether the twist was a late edition or if they purposely played the fans. Or maybe they just reduced his role to give more time to Killian.
I see, do you remember the trailer dialogue that was cut from the movie?

Old 04-25-2013, 11:49 PM   #353
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBoxer View Post
I think people are over reacting over the "Twist" with Mandarin. I read it and at first I was pissed, but after reading peoples reactions and reviews, and discussions, I will hold my final judgment until I see the movie next week.
It depends on what you mean by an over reaction. If you know going into it what the plot twist is well then you've prepared yourself for it and it's not going to have the same impact. I think if you thought you were going to get Kingsley being awesome you have a right to be annoyed. Plot twists are cool and all but sometimes they can backfire.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:50 PM   #354
RetroNaz
Bom Bom Bom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
I see, do you remember the trailer dialogue that was cut from the movie?
Things that come to mind:

Mr Stark, today is the first day of what's left of your life.

I'm gunna offer you the choice. Do you want an empty life, or a meaningful death.

Lesson number 1. Heroes, there's no such thing.

Feel free to pull me up if people recall hearing these. And whether the first line I wrote was even said by him or Killian (hard to tell in the trailer since they don't show the face when it's being said).

Old 04-25-2013, 11:51 PM   #355
RetroNaz
Bom Bom Bom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
It depends on what you mean by an over reaction. If you know going into it what the plot twist is well then you've prepared yourself for it and it's not going to have the same impact. I think if you thought you were going to get Kingsley being awesome you have a right to be annoyed. Plot twists are cool and all but sometimes they can backfire.
I knew about it going in but still disappointed. Having said that, I loved the movie and I'm over the whole twist thing now. I've accepted what they were trying to achieve and that there's a bigger picture to enjoy rather than get worked up over a
character change to a minor villain.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:53 PM   #356
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Things that come to mind:

Mr Stark, today is the first day of what's left of your life.

I'm gunna offer you the choice. Do you want an empty life, or a meaningful death.

Lesson number 1. Heroes, there's no such thing.

Feel free to pull me up if people recall hearing these. And whether the first line I wrote was even said by him or Killian (hard to tell in the trailer since they don't show the face when it's being said).
All of those lines are memorable and intimidating... can't see why they cut them.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:57 PM   #357
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Maybe Rhodey will become the new Iron Man in Avengers 2 .

- CM Punk
Old 04-26-2013, 12:02 AM   #358
RetroNaz
Bom Bom Bom

I don't think Tony will
stop being Iron Man
given the ending of the film. I came out thinking he's simply
evolved as a person, and doesn't NEED Iron Man to feel like a man anymore. However he clearly stated he still IS Iron Man at the end of the film.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:03 AM   #359
RetroNaz
Bom Bom Bom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
All of those lines are memorable and intimidating... can't see why they cut them.
Hence my initial disappointment. Ah well, could have been worse!

Old 04-26-2013, 12:16 AM   #360
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
I don't think Tony will
stop being Iron Man
given the ending of the film. I came out thinking he's simply
evolved as a person, and doesn't NEED Iron Man to feel like a man anymore. However he clearly stated he still IS Iron Man at the end of the film.
Well, that's reassuring.

Quote:
Hence my initial disappointment. Ah well, could have been worse!

True, true...

Old 04-26-2013, 12:28 AM   #361
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Okay, here are my thoughts on the twist...

People basically need to harden the **** up. The 'theory' posted earlier about Killian actually being the Mandarin isn't just a theory, he flat out says at the end 'I AM THE MANDARIN'. He can breath fire, has the asian tattoos... He plays the role, as a string puller and heavy hitter and that is fine for me. So for all the people butt hurt about it, think of it this way...isn't it nice, just once, to go into a comic book film and be SURPRISED? Instead of being the idiotic know it all who nudges their friend/gf/wife every few minutes to say "Oh, that's bla bla from the comics"... Doesn't it feel nice to be as taken in by a story that's fresh and interesting as we might have been when we first read the comics that made us fall in love with the characters to begin with? If you just want to see a film that's a carbon copy of the comics, I would suggest reading the comics and just turning the pages really fast. The twist WORKED, it didn't diminish the threat, in fact Killian/Mandarin ended up being the strongest villain that Iron Man has faced YET (which has always been a weak point of the films).

Also, just think on what an amazing feat it was for a twist like this to stay under wraps, throughout all the trailers and rumours and everything. Like Kingsley himself says, "You'll never see me coming!". And we didn't. So why is that a BAD thing?

Old 04-26-2013, 12:35 AM   #362
RetroNaz
Bom Bom Bom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvieboy17 View Post

People basically need to harden the **** up. The 'theory' posted earlier about Killian actually being the Mandarin isn't just a theory, he flat out says at the end 'I AM THE MANDARIN'. He can breath fire, has the asian tattoos... He plays the role, as a string puller and heavy hitter and that is fine for me. So for all the people butt hurt about it, think of it this way...isn't it nice, just once, to go into a comic book film and be SURPRISED? Instead of being the idiotic know it all who nudges their friend/gf/wife every few minutes to say "Oh, that's bla bla from the comics"... Doesn't it feel nice to be as taken in by a story that's fresh and interesting as we might have been when we first read the comics that made us fall in love with the characters to begin with? If you just want to see a film that's a carbon copy of the comics, I would suggest reading the comics and just turning the pages really fast. The twist WORKED, it didn't diminish the threat, in fact Killian/Mandarin ended up being the strongest villain that Iron Man has faced YET (which has always been a weak point of the films).

Also, just think on what an amazing feat it was for a twist like this to stay under wraps, throughout all the trailers and rumours and everything. Like Kingsley himself says, "You'll never see me coming!". And we didn't. So why is that a BAD thing?
That's a bit rough man.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:38 AM   #363
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:

Like how you're thinking. They use the traditional Mandarin dressing and speak as the facade and then put the traditional power and personality into Killian. I really have no problem with it and seems like an ingenious way to get the Mandarin into the Extremis storyline he was never actually a part of in the comics. Have a feeling his mapped brain will somehow get used in a future MCU movie/plot somehow.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:44 AM   #364
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:

No ones disputing the twist didn't work, they're saying it's not what they hoped for. People are allowed to not like how things are executed you know. If you liked how it was executed and are fine with who you got as a villain, more power to you, others aren't, simple as that really. Telling people to harden the **** up makes you sound like an obnoxious fanboy. If people feel cheated then they feel cheated.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:14 AM   #365
Spideysays
Side-Kick

Quote:

In YOUR opinion it didn't "diminish the threat" of a villain that no matter the spin doesn't exist. There are a ton of people on here whose opinion greatly differs from yours. So please don't come over here and state "the twist WORKED" because it worked for you but clearly not for everyone. Away from the Marvel thing "mandarin" is a title for a CHINESE public official or high ranking intellectual individual. A white man with affinity for Chinese tattoos is NOT Chinese and therefore not a "mandarin". The villain and name should have never been used. Period.

Finally, this necessity by some people who liked the twist to talk down to the fans who don't like it. Who the **** are you to tell them anything. They didn't like it. You did. Save your opinion if you can't accept that others won't agree with you. There's a reason why people fell in love with the comics. They loved the original stories. Book, novel, and print adaptations are done because fans want to see those stories in the flesh otherwise those stories wouldn't be adapted. Liberties will always be taken. We get it. You supporters of the movie must also get that many fans of the printed material want to see what they grew up loving as is. There will never be agreement. So stop talking down to non-supporters or "idiots" as you labeled them and make a thread for lovers of the film where your opinion will be shared and not questioned.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:40 AM   #366
Blade X
Side-Kick

Did this movie have a lot of action in it? Was there more Iron Man/War Machine/Iron Patriot armored action scenes in this movie then in the 2nd movie?

Old 04-26-2013, 01:42 AM   #367
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideysays View Post
In YOUR opinion it didn't "diminish the threat" of a villain that no matter the spin doesn't exist. There are a ton of people on here whose opinion greatly differs from yours. So please don't come over here and state "the twist WORKED" because it worked for you but clearly not for everyone. Away from the Marvel thing "mandarin" is a title for a CHINESE public official or high ranking intellectual individual. A white man with affinity for Chinese tattoos is NOT Chinese and therefore not a "mandarin". The villain and name should have never been used. Period.

Finally, this necessity by some people who liked the twist to talk down to the fans who don't like it. Who the **** are you to tell them anything. They didn't like it. You did. Save your opinion if you can't accept that others won't agree with you. There's a reason why people fell in love with the comics. They loved the original stories. Book, novel, and print adaptations are done because fans want to see those stories in the flesh otherwise those stories wouldn't be adapted. Liberties will always be taken. We get it. You supporters of the movie must also get that many fans of the printed material want to see what they grew up loving as is. There will never be agreement. So stop talking down to non-supporters or "idiots" as you labeled them and make a thread for lovers of the film where your opinion will be shared and not questioned.
Thank you!

Another thing.
He makes it sound like those who hated the twist want a panel for panel recreation of a story line. I don't think a single fan of the comics who hates what they did with the Mandarin wanted everything in the movie to be a mirror image of an Iron Man comic story. A lot of fans just wanted to see IM's main villain in a live action film and they did not get that. Hell, I didn't care that he wasn't Chinese or that his rings didn't do anything, it just would have been nice if he was the main villain and not some hired random guy.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:50 AM   #368
RetroNaz
Bom Bom Bom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
Did this movie have a lot of action in it? Was there more Iron Man/War Machine/Iron Patriot armored action scenes in this movie then in the 2nd movie?
I'd say there's more action. Iron Patriot isn't really in many action scenes though. Rhodey is however.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:50 AM   #369
CrypticOne
Beautiful Chaos

I thought Mandarin and Killigan were two different characters in the comic?!

Old 04-26-2013, 01:53 AM   #370
RetroNaz
Bom Bom Bom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
Thank you!

Another thing.
He makes it sound like those who hated the twist want a panel for panel recreation of a story line. I don't think a single fan of the comics who hates what they did with the Mandarin wanted everything in the movie to be a mirror image of an Iron Man comic story. A lot of fans just wanted to see IM's main villain in a live action film and they did not get that. Hell, I didn't care that he wasn't Chinese or that his rings didn't do anything, it just would have been nice if he was the main villain and not some hired random guy.
Pretty much.
My only issues with the twist is that
the Mandarin "character" was so damn good it was kind of shame to learn it was a sham. He was so chilling and Osama-like.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:53 AM   #371
RetroNaz
Bom Bom Bom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticOne View Post
They are.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:54 AM   #372
Spideysays
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
Thank you!

Another thing.
Exactly. I never complained about the 1st movie moving to the middle east instead of china. I thought that was a nice update. I will not accept blatant disrespect of a character regardless of whether he is popular or not. Everyone keeps talking about how lame IM's rogues are. So why do you care if anybody defends them? Move on oh enlightened ones and leave us to our own opinions.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:59 AM   #373
Spideysays
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticOne View Post
They most definitely are. Mandarin has been around for 50 or so years while Killian was a nobody scientist who stole the Extremis he and Maya Hansen developed to sell it to terrorists. Then he kills himself due to the effects that the Extremis has in creating super terrorists. Lasted about two issues in IM history I believe. A wealth of story background for him to be elevated to a main villain.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:10 AM   #374
Broseph44
We Are Groot

So then don't see the movie Spidey if you're this aggravated over the twist. Simple solution.

I believe in Ben Affleck.

Hal: Were we ever truly friends?
Sinestro: That’s the tragedy of all of this, Jordan. Hal, we’ll always be friends.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:14 AM   #375
Arcam
Side-Kick

I enjoyed all the screen time The Mandarin and Killian had.

Closed Thread