Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 04:37 AM   #751
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Just because of the end credit scene?

Give me a break. These people are now well aware these movies have an inherent interconnectivity .... the bonding agent was called THE AVENGERS. The audience is well aware of the MCU now and judging by IM3's opening numbers in Europe, people are most definitely treating Phase 2 as a big deal.

You using your lone theater experience as the litmus test is statistically insignificant btw.

Where do you come up with this material? It didn't matter who the superheroes were? Ya, sure buddy. Only in your elitist world is the public incapable of recognizing the heroes from their prior solo films. I'm sure the film could've been carried by people named Broom Man, The Duster, Vaccuum Boy, and Wonder Maid.

And there you go again giving anecdotal evidence of some person stupid enough to ask you about Green Lantern. But if we're going to throw that kind of thing around, I saw the movie 4 times in the theater. Not once did anyone ask me about Green Lantern.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:39 AM   #752
UnionJack
In training at MI:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
I think RDJ will stay for Avengers 2 but that's it. They'll give Iron Man a break in phase 3, and then I think we'll see him again in Avengers 3...as either another actor or RDJ for the last time (if they go with the kill IM in A2 -> revive in A3 route).
Why do people keep saying they will "kill" IM.

It's just a re-cast, why on earth would they kill the entire character!?

http://www.crhodesdesign.com/

Old 04-29-2013, 04:44 AM   #753
UnionJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkilban2 View Post
I don't think losing RDJ down the line is going to hurt the MCU at all. Yeah he's the funny character that people like to laugh at but it's time to move on before it gets boring and repetitive. Sure Cap probably isn't going to do Iron Man/Avengers numbers but his films will never be a flop financially, and if they start moving Tony out of the spotlight a bit and moving Cap in, the audience isn't going to have a problem.
The character of Steve and Tony are polar opposites. I like the stern straight character of Cap, while I think the cocky, funny Tony will eventually get boring.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:51 AM   #754
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionJack View Post
The character of Steve and Tony are polar opposites. I like the stern straight character of Cap, while I think the cocky, funny Tony will eventually get boring.
so do you think that my theory of Cap starting to replace Tony as the main guy in the MCU would work? I think it could be an interesting new way to go about things.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
Old 04-29-2013, 05:29 AM   #755
UnionJack

Quote:
so do you think that my theory of Cap starting to replace Tony as the main guy in the MCU would work? I think it could be an interesting new way to go about things.
It fits the character of Cap more, he has military training and experience with being a leader. Tony works better doing his own thing within the group rather than leading.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:46 AM   #756
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionJack View Post
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
It was already kinda starting to feel that way in IM3 to me.

"Sure thing kiddo, I'll just keep pretending to put food in your mouth and clothes on your gorram back"
Old 04-29-2013, 06:48 AM   #757
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvieboy17 View Post
I don't think you can back up or quantify that statement at all. In fact, we won't really know for sure until Thor 2. But the way things are now, everything Avengers related is still selling like hotcakes so we can only assume that trend is going to continue.
Quote:
I don't think losing RDJ down the line is going to hurt the MCU at all. Yeah he's the funny character that people like to laugh at but it's time to move on before it gets boring and repetitive. Sure Cap probably isn't going to do Iron Man/Avengers numbers but his films will never be a flop financially, and if they start moving Tony out of the spotlight a bit and moving Cap in, the audience isn't going to have a problem.
Thor 2's Box office is important, but i think you both really underestimate RDJ's box office power, he's the thing that's making Iron Man right now, and I just don't see the non IM films hitting a billion WW. There is a reason why RDJ is front and center of all the Avengers marketing...it's because people know that he puts butts in seats. Not everyone going to see these films are comic book fans

I mean this is the guy that got Sherlock Holmes 500m WW. I'd gladly make a small wager that IM3 wouldn't have hit a billion if it was recast with someone else.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Old 04-29-2013, 07:26 AM   #758
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
There's some serious trolling going on in here. Iron Man 3 opens up to huge numbers in Europe (bigger than the Avengers for cryin' out loud) and then absolute goofball talk starts taking place. I sense fans of another comic company feeling quite threatened.
you should see the comments from the latest IM3 News on the site which will not be named

Old 04-29-2013, 07:35 AM   #759
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
I'm saying this, I don't think the MCU as a whole is big a deal to the Joe averages of the world. I only gave anecdote evidence of course but to me its surprising given we live in a post Avengers world.
And if after-credits scenes were all that made up the MCU, you might have a point. Those scenes are only a small part of it, meant to be a reward for the hardcore fans. The interconnectivity of the movies is what really makes up the MCU. Since Avengers movies are basically the culmination of that concept, they're the ones you should use to judge how the GA feels about it, not a tag scene to a solo movie.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #760
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
There's some serious trolling going on in here. Iron Man 3 opens up to huge numbers in Europe (bigger than the Avengers for cryin' out loud) and then absolute goofball talk starts taking place. I sense fans of another comic company feeling quite threatened.
AMEN, BRUTHA.

Feels like the entirety of the Batboards has descended en masse on this board to crap on IM3. What the hell do they feel so threatened about?

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 04-29-2013, 09:55 AM   #761
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
Because Avengers success was never about the MCU, it was because the film was a freakin' blast to watch. It didn't really matter who the superheroes were or who the villain was, it was an epic piece of popcorn entertainment, hell on more than one occasion someone asked me why Green Lantern wasn't in the movie. The MCU was a secondary thing in phase one to the vast majority.
You couldn't be more right.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #762
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulholland '49 View Post
You couldn't be more right.
That statement made no sense. Anyone could have been in the movie? Hardly. The team-up of KNOWN superheroes as teased by the individual solo movies was the big reason people showed up. They kept coming back because of how good it was.

He couldn't be more wrong.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #763
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
I'd gladly make a small wager that IM3 wouldn't have hit a billion if it was recast with someone else.
I'd have to agree with this, unfortunately.

Though I'm absolutely sure that a Downey-less Iron Man film would still be a major box office success, there's no doubt that RDJ adds a significant amount of profit to these films.

ゴジラ
Old 04-29-2013, 10:01 AM   #764
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
AMEN, BRUTHA.

Feels like the entirety of the Batboards has descended en masse on this board to crap on IM3. What the hell do they feel so threatened about?
Are they really threatened, or are you just insecure and making up a bunch of nonsense?

I'll go with the latter.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #765
ctsketch
Side-Kick

I wonder what it would have been like if Tom Cruise got the role from the beginning instead of RDJ...

Old 04-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #766
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
That statement made no sense. Anyone could have been in the movie? Hardly. The team-up of KNOWN superheroes as teased by the individual solo movies was the big reason people showed up. They kept coming back because of how good it was.

Then why didn't Hulk, Thor, and Captain America make Iron Man numbers if these people "kept coming back"?

Old 04-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #767
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
Then why didn't Hulk, Thor, and Captain America make Iron Man numbers if these people "kept coming back"?
I was talking about Avengers, as JMC was.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #768
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Quote:

You couldnt be more right.

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 7.5/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10, Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10
Old 04-29-2013, 10:09 AM   #769
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Are they really threatened, or are you just insecure and making up a bunch of nonsense?

I'll go with the latter.
Given your posting history in all things Fox and Warners, and your noticeable absence in all posts about Marvel Studios, your statement doesn't surprise me one bit.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #770
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:

I'll go with the latter.
It might be an exaggeration but there's definitely some "concern trolling" going on, among some of the fanboy populace (as there usually is when these type of movies come out).

What has made me very upset, is there have been a number of Batman posters who have completely ignored the spoiler tag rule, and multiple warnings from mods. They are deliberately trying to stir up the fanbase and spoil the film. I won't mention names, but they know who they are, and if they're not more careful, they may get handed some vacation time.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #771
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:
I was talking about Avengers, as JMC was.
Yeah... so was I. As long as they had RDJ as their lead they really could have used any characters featured in past superhero movies.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:14 AM   #772
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Given your posting history in all things Fox and Warners, and your noticeable absence in all posts about Marvel Studios, your statement doesn't surprise me one bit.
You mean X-Men and Fantastic Four? Yeah I'm such a DC troll.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #773
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
Yeah... so was I. As long as they had RDJ as their lead they really could have used any characters featured in past superhero movies.
No, you weren't. You were talking about the solo films' success.

JMC wasn't talking about Iron Man at all in the passage you quoted. He was saying that because of the fun factor, anyone could have been plugged into the roles and it would've worked. I normally don't have a beef with the guy because I think he's a level-headed dude, but that statement was nonsense.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #774
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
You mean X-Men and Fantastic Four? Yeah I'm such a DC troll.
Re-read: I said FOX and Warners.

And yes, there's a few Foxfans who have gone over the top with trying to sabotage IM3. Over at TheSiteWhichCannotBeNamed, there's one poster in particular who has gone bat**** psycho and spammed every single forum and news article comment thread (no exaggeration) with a complete spoiler-filled rant about IM3 and calls to boycott Marvel Studios and have Shane Black's head on a platter. The screenname(s) he goes by are *all* variants of "Days of Future Past."

Maybe you know him....?

Old 04-29-2013, 10:22 AM   #775
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:
No, you weren't. You were talking about the solo films' success.

JMC wasn't talking about Iron Man at all in the passage you quoted. He was saying that because of the fun factor, anyone could have been plugged into the roles and it would've worked. I normally don't have a beef with the guy because I think he's a level-headed dude, but that statement was nonsense.
Yes, I was agreeing with his point on the Avengers.

Yes, I do believe as long as the movie kept it's fun factor (and RDJ) anyone could have been plugged in and it would've worked.

Yes, I was talking about the solo movies success because you said people "kept coming back" to see these movies, as you said that was the reason for the Avengers's success. I disagree.

Closed Thread