The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Guardians of the Galaxy > Guardians of the Galaxy

Old 04-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #51
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Default Re: Lee Pace cast as unknown villain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cph9fa View Post
I'm not familiar with Korvac, and only seen Warlock in the 2008 GotG, but would there be any possibility of combining aspects of both characters? Like have Michael Korvac from the future, gain powers, come to the present, and become the Magus for the UCT? I don't know...
I don't think so. They may have physical similarities and similarities in demeanor at times, but I dont think they'd do this.

I brought the same thing up about Ms. Marvel and Phyla Vell in this forum last year... That didn't go over very well.

pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #52
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by cph9fa View Post
I'm not familiar with Korvac, and only seen Warlock in the 2008 GotG, but would there be any possibility of combining aspects of both characters? Like have Michael Korvac from the future, gain powers, come to the present, and become the Magus for the UCT? I don't know...
I don't think so. Part of the Magus relies on the fact that it was the hero Adam Warlock. Michael Korvac was always a villain.

And that would be ruining two characters in one go.

Nominate your favourite Movie theme of all time for the upcoming tournament: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=469413
Dark Raven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #53
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Right. If its a matter of showing off the great aspects of both characters, I don't think you need to worry about that. The MCU has plenty of momentum. I'm sure before its over we'll get both Adam Warlock and Michael Korvac.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #54
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

I think if you're going to have the Magus in these movies, it just wouldn't be as meaningful if you start straight away with him. It's better if they introduce Adam Warlock first as a full-on hero. Having the Magus right off the bat would be like introducing Winter Soldier without first having Bucky. Now of course, they could've done that, but WS would've been just another villain then.

Since Lee Pace has been cast specifically as a villain, then that makes me think it's more likely to be Korvac.

Nominate your favourite Movie theme of all time for the upcoming tournament: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=469413
Old 04-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #55
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Here's the way I see it, and of course this is just my thoughts. But, you're right, that's the reason people are gonna love Bucky.

But with Magus, its unique because we'd be getting a villain who turns directly into a hero. And we haven't seen that before. Closest we've got is Loki siding with Thor in Thor 2... But thats not even the same thing.

I think it will be great to see a story of redemption like that. In fact, we probably won't even get that the way we should with the Maximoffs. So, yeah. I say start with Magus.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #56
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
Here's the way I see it, and of course this is just my thoughts. But, you're right, that's the reason people are gonna love Bucky.

But with Magus, its unique because we'd be getting a villain who turns directly into a hero. And we haven't seen that before. Closest we've got is Loki siding with Thor in Thor 2... But thats not even the same thing.

I think it will be great to see a story of redemption like that. In fact, we probably won't even get that the way we should with the Maximoffs. So, yeah. I say start with Magus.
Well not really. That would be the case with Braniac-5 who is heroic in the future but the current version of him is evil now. With Magus and Adam Warlock, Warlock is the past (or present) incarnation of the character and they wouldn't even have to show any change, because he's already a hero to those who know him. He would practically be like a different character so people wouldn't see a redemption.

It's not like the future Magus evolves into the present Adam Warlock, or at least it wouldn't be for movie audiences. How can you show a backwards evolution of character from the future to the past on film? For a redemption to occur, he still has to have been evil in the past, not in the future, and then make the journey towards becoming good, which is our future. You can show a character turning evil or good, but that's always from present to future from everyone's perspective, not future to present or past, because we don't experience time that way. It would just confuse everyone I think.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #57
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Haha. I think people love time travel and alternate realities. Back to the Future, Harry Potter 3 (one of the most critically acclaimed and my personal fave), Star Trek 2009 (well received by GA). Or maybe I just love time travel and alternate realities.

Anyway, I feel like my point still stands, if they can get it across to the audience that Magus and Warlock are the same dude and that while he's the primary antagonist, he joins the team as a hero (who made a sacrifice to defeat his own demons) then I think people will be thrilled. Especially with Lee Pace delivering the performance.

That all being said, I'm okay with him being Korvac. I'd be on board either way. Just dont make him The Controller please -_-

Old 04-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #58
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Harry Potter 3 was another one that confused him, (he's not the brightest crayon in the box though haha). I can generally look past time travel inconsistencies and focus on the story itself.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
mkilban2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #59
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Haha. I think people love time travel and alternate realities. Back to the Future, Harry Potter 3 (one of the most critically acclaimed and my personal fave), Star Trek 2009 (well received by GA). Or maybe I just love time travel and alternate realities.

Anyway, I feel like my point still stands, if they can get it across to the audience that Magus and Warlock are the same dude and that while he's the primary antagonist, he joins the team as a hero (who made a sacrifice to defeat his own demons) then I think people will be thrilled. Especially with Lee Pace delivering the performance.

That all being said, I'm okay with him being Korvac. I'd be on board either way. Just dont make him The Controller please -_-
Sure, people like time travel movies. But my point is that Warlock would just be like an alternate version of the same character Magus, but you couldn't show a journey of redemption from Magus to Warlock, simply because no-one can experience time backwards, and it can't be shown in a movie. A journey for a viewer always goes from present to future where a person becomes something else, whether good or bad.

You can't show a reverse journey, say from 2020 to 2013 where a person is evil or good in 2020 but changes on a journey over a period of time to become a different person in 2013. You can only show a journey from 2013 to 2020 and not vice versa. So either you show Warlock's journey to the dark side from his present self to his future self of Magus, or you just show them as two different, alternate versions of each other. But there is no way you can show a journey of redemption of how Magus becomes Warlock.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:10 PM   #60
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

I wouldnt say there is no way. I'm saying, what if Gunn and co. are getting really clever with this one and they try to pull it off. Like what I was saying about flashbacks/flashforwards of the original GotG team showing Warlock as a hero.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:25 PM   #61
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
I wouldnt say there is no way. I'm saying, what if Gunn and co. are getting really clever with this one and they try to pull it off. Like what I was saying about flashbacks/flashforwards of the original GotG team showing Warlock as a hero.
It's still not a journey of redemption. It's just a flashback.

As an exercise, you try to tell people the story of how a series of different circumstances led you from being the man you are today to becoming the boy you were at age 10. You can't, because it's complete nonsense.

You can't become someone backwards and you certainly can't show that, because people simply don't operate that way. You can only tell people what you were like back then and how you are today, or tell people the story of how you've gone from the person you are today to the person you are in 10 years time.

Redemption in a movie (and in real life) requires a change of heart, and showing the circumstances that led to that change of heart. If, like Warlock, you're good to start with, and then you become evil like Magus, then you can't show the change in heart from Magus to Warlock and call that redemption. The only people who can ever experience that live in an ass backwards universe!

Old 04-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #62
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

OKAY OKAY OKAY. Get off the word "redemption" first of all. For a story of redemption they would indeed have to retcon much about the character.

Moving onto a different avenue of this topic, I don't see why it wouldn't make sense to start with a story about Warlock and Magus anyway, seeing as how Adam Warlock is a big part of both the 1960s and modern GotG teams.

Also, I still dont quite know how the current roster could take on Korvac without Warlock or one of the Vells. Any thoughts on that?

Rocket can't very well shoot bullets at the near all-powerful cosmic entity.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:27 PM   #63
Mr. Dent

Yeah it makes the most sense to start with Magus to me. He's not a big villain but he's still a good one and can connect to everything that we know about the film right now. Korvac is too big a villain from the comics to share the movie with Thanos in the same way Magus could. Korvac is a sequel villain, like Joker is the second act for TDK, Mandarin (...) is the third act for IM3, and Surtur will most likely be the third act for Thor.

2016 - Captain America 3 | Batman vs. Superman | X-Men: Apocalypse | The Amazing Spider-Man 3 | Doctor Strange
TV - Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Agent Carter | Daredevil | Luke Cage | Iron Fist | Jessica Jones | The Defenders
TV - Arrow | The Flash | Gotham | Constantine | iZOMBIE

Last edited by Mr. Dent; 04-25-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #64
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

I wonder how long it will take before they confirm who Pace is playing.

2015: Ant-Man
2016: Thor: Ragnarok, Doctor Strange
2017: Captain America: Secret Empire, Black Panther
2018: The Incredible Hulk: Rise of the Leader, Guardians of the Galaxy: War of Kings
2019: The Inhumans, Avengers: Thanos Imperative
KangConquers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #65
InternetPeople
Petty... and tiny

He'll be mentioned last on the press release

InternetPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #66
Mr. Dent

Yeah, they probably won't reveal who he is until the press release when they start filming at the end of June. Otherwise, we'll just have to wait for a LR writer not named Mayimbe to leak it.

2016 - Captain America 3 | Batman vs. Superman | X-Men: Apocalypse | The Amazing Spider-Man 3 | Doctor Strange
TV - Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Agent Carter | Daredevil | Luke Cage | Iron Fist | Jessica Jones | The Defenders
TV - Arrow | The Flash | Gotham | Constantine | iZOMBIE
Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #67
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Yeah. I assume we'll find out about Rocket and Groot before we find out who Pace is playing.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #68
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Yeah. I assume we'll find out about Rocket and Groot before we find out who Pace is playing.
They could theoretically cast Rocket's voice actor in post-production.

2018: The Incredible Hulk: Rise of the Leader, Guardians of the Galaxy: War of Kings
Old 04-28-2013, 10:31 PM   #69
CaptainAwesome
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
They could theoretically cast Rocket's voice actor in post-production.
Unless they do like the Hulk and have the same actor who is doing the Mo-Cap do the voice, just a thought

CaptainAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:20 AM   #70
Norrin Parker
Majestor of the Shi'ar

I'm pretty sure they already said they aren't doing mo-cap for Rocket. Which makes sense since Raccoons don't movie like humans.

Norrin Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:24 AM   #71
Spider-Fan83
Thwip Thwip

maybe they can mo-cap a real Raccoon lol

Spider-Fan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:26 AM   #72
terry78
Smiling is for sellouts

Good luck getting that ping pong ball suit on him.

terry78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #73
Norrin Parker
Majestor of the Shi'ar

Maybe instead of the movie they can film that

Norrin Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:29 AM   #74
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicCap View Post
I'm pretty sure they already said they aren't doing mo-cap for Rocket. Which makes sense since Raccoons don't movie like humans.
This.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #75
Chris B
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
I wonder how long it will take before they confirm who Pace is playing.
I'm betting no latter than Comic Con.