The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 04-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
tincan

Default Similarities between old movies and new movies (Spoiler warning for all movies)

I don't know if this has been posted about before so this thread may need to be merged. I noticed a the Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises had a few throwbacks to the older movies. Specifically:

-Batman and Selina Kyle had a fight on the roof in Batman Returns and Dark Knight Rises, although the Rises fight had them fighting together.
-Both Batman and Robin and Dark Knight Rises had a fight with Bane on a catwalk. The catwalk in Batman and Robin was in the basement of an ice cream shop I believe, when Poison Ivy pulled the plug keeping Mrs. Freeze alive. Both scenes involved Batman or Robin getting tossed off of that railing.
-The Dark Knight and the original Batman both culminated in Batman climbing a building to get to the Joker, and the possibility of either Batman or Joker falling off of the building.

It's cool how they took elements from the older movies and put them in the new ones with the same characters.

tincan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
the last son
Side-Kick

Default Re: Similarities between old movies and new movies (Spoiler warning for all movies)

I think their were a lot more people at one time pointed out. Good observations none the less. Someone has been watching ABC Family Bat weekend.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
milost
Banned User

Default Re: Similarities between old movies and new movies (Spoiler warning for all movies)

I could explain em, but that would be less fun. They say a picture is worth a thousand words so maybe this is better. It'll be two posts, I just did Burton and Nolan

Tell me what you guys think of this,

Similarities Between Older Batman films and New Movies

milost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
milost
Banned User

Old 04-09-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Niiiice milost!

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #6
JackWhite
Third Man

Indeed, Milost.

That nearly made my head-spin. Very thorough post.

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
milost
Banned User

Thanks guys, here's another.

If I had tumblr and knew how to make gifs, this would be gold.

KANE!?!?

Old 04-09-2013, 11:38 PM   #8
OutRiddled
Banned User

Milost, you are fast becoming my favourite poster on here...

The pin-striped jacket on Shreck and Dagget - almost exactly the same. Interesting.

EDIT: On closer inspection, that doesn't seem to be case.. oh well.

Last edited by OutRiddled; 04-09-2013 at 11:50 PM.
OutRiddled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:50 PM   #9
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

One similarity is that both film versions of Bane work with/for a woman and walk around with a bomb .

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:25 AM   #10
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Wow , Batman's movies are...similar. Who would have thought of that ? I wonder if they were based on the same material ?

I was hoping Nolan went for the Crabman design so he could escape Burton's comparisons....

Last edited by Tequilla; 04-10-2013 at 05:29 AM.
Tequilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:37 AM   #11
vanson
Side-Kick

vanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #12
milost
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilla View Post
Wow , Batman's movies are...similar. Who would have thought of that ? I wonder if they were based on the same material ?

I was hoping Nolan went for the Crabman design so he could escape Burton's comparisons....

No need for that sarcastic attitude.

- Not every version of Batman has the character throttling a bad guy and proclaiming "I'm Batman". That originated from the 1989 film and is featured in Begins as well.

- The suit vault with black armor, his gear on the sides of the door? First Batman as well, carried over in all the others. I think in the comics before the 80s he just kept them in a drawer or brief case or something.

- Grapple gun debuted/invented in the first film in 1989. It's been a part of Batman ever since.

- The Joker at the head of a mob meeting, being told he's crazy and a freak? Taking them all out later? Where else can I see that other than Batman and The Dark Knight?

- The Joker using a writing tool to dispatch of a mob guy?

- Batman playing possum, "knocked out" on the ground and a Joker thug trying to unmask him? Hmmm.

- Televised Joker broadcasts, death of civilians being Jokerized to the ground with Bruce and Alfred watching?

- City street duel with Joker taunting Batman with, "C'mon you gruesome son of a *****", "C'mon hit me". Shots of Batman in anger coming from the right of the screen in a new vehicle. POV shots of going towards the Joker at full speed. Missing the Joker, crashing. Shot of the Joker spinning around.

- Batman using his grapple gun to subdue the Joker after a final confrontation at night on a towering building. The cops have their spotlights on the two of them. The Joker plummets to the ground and has the last laugh as the police move in on him.

Batman using his grapple gun to stop the Joker from falling after a final confrontation at night on a towering building. The cops have their spotlights on the two of them. The Joker is hoisted up and has the last laugh as the SWAT move in on him.

- Batman uses his gauntlet to ricochet Napier's bullet back into his face, scarring him. Batman uses his gauntlet to stop the Joker, "I know how you got these".

- Harvey Dent, District Attorney in a Batman/Joker film. The mob is getting uneasy because Dent is smoking them out and is getting closer and closer to eliminating them/putting them away.

- At the end of Batman, the signal is unveiled by the police and the event is viewed by Gotham and the media. Batman becomes the cities guardian. He's no longer a fugitive, he's a hero. Later the city turns on him for a crime he didn't commit. He gave them the signal.

At the end of the Dark Knight, the signal is destroyed by the police and the event is viewed by Gotham and the media. Batman becomes the cities villain. He's no longer a hero but a fugitive. Later the city embraces him after they find out he didn't commit the murders. He gave them the new signal.

- Joker threatening Batman's girl with his goons. The woman hits the Joker (in the face with water, in the balls). Batman pops in and saves her.

- The two women fall after the Joker put them in the situation to do so. Batman falls with her and saves her at the last minute.

- In Batman, Joker and his men give away money. In The Dark Knight, Joker and his men burn money.

- After a chase sequence, Batman is in a tight situation. His Batmobile transforms into a pod-like vehicle with the hit of a button for a quick getaway.

- Bruce Wayne watches the Joker intently while planning his next move. The Joker is all over his computer consoles with his grinning, taunting face.

- The Batmobile reveal. Vicki says "which one?", she's shocked when she sees it for the first time. Gordon says "yours?", he's shocked when he sees it for the first time.

- Batman taking the damsel in distress back to his lair in his Batmobile, through the woods/forest.

- Batman gives the damsel in distress the code/antidote/cure for the toxins and chemicals that could threaten the city, then knocks her out and takes her back to her home.

- A young Bruce is comforted by a beat Cop, James Gordon, after the death of his parents.

- Batman in his flying Bat vehicle has just obtained/hooked onto the device that is threatening the deaths of innocent Gothammites. He's having trouble pulling up over a very tall building and struggles clearing it. We see his worried expression and POV shots of him at the controls trying to pull up.

At the last minute, he clears the building and flies off, disposing of the threat to the city.

- Bruce Wayne attending a masquerade, masked ball as none other than . . . Bruce Wayne. Selina Kyle also attends. They dance with each other, discuss ideals "this is wrong", etc. Businessmen Shreck and Dagget are there.

- Businessman Max Shreck and John Dagget, in the last directors Batman movie with a film that features Catwoman and a sewer villain. He works with the sewer villain and is obsessed with power

(Fun fact, originally in Batman the Animated Series, they were going to use Max Shreck. Instead, they renamed the character Roland Dagget which is an obvious inspiration to TDKR.)

- Penguin (a revision of the comic character) and his gang are plotting against Gotham in the sewers below. Bane (a revision of the comic character) and his gang are plotting against Gotham in the sewers below.

- The main villain of film one threatens the city with poisonous gas. They pull on their gas masks as the city panics and begins to feel the effects of the poison.

- Alfred wants Bruce to live a happy life and "leave the cave" so to speak. Not pursue this dark, depressing life style. He doesn't want to lose Bruce like he lost his parents. He encourages Bruce to get with Vicki/Miranda Tate.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:27 AM   #13
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by milost View Post
No need for that sarcastic attitude.
It's not being sarcastic. I was stating how you are paralleling stuff like the ...bat-signal. Or mere close ups of recurring batman characters. Visually these movies , outside of following some of the biggest tropes of Batman's legacy , are completely different.

Tequilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #14
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Some of them look like actual parallels like Bruce and Selina dancing at the masquerade ball, or Joker egging Batman to come towards him in the middle of a street.

Some of them are reaching and entirely coincidental like Vicki and Rachel being unconscious, Daggett and Schreck sitting at a board meeting, Joker on TV, Gordon at the batsignal etc.

Still it's a great post, milost.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #15
Dude
Side-Kick

The ending of TDKR mirrors the scene in 1966 batman where he ran around with the bomb overhead looking for somewhere to throw it that wouldn't cause loss of life, then there is that "did he get blown up with the bomb?" moment in both.

Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:02 AM   #16
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Some of them are reaching and entirely coincidental like Vicki and Rachel being unconscious, Daggett and Schreck sitting at a board meeting, Joker on TV, Gordon at the batsignal etc.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote