Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 03:55 AM   #26
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?

Default Re: With Great Sequel Comes Great Lounging - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
I just don't see any hope with it. I'll be surprised if I like it on film when I end up seeing it.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
When Black called Mandarin a racist caricature way back in 2011, I knew immediately that Black would do something to what should be Iron Man's Joker, and he made it a mockery while making Killian the main dude. Plus, Black even said IM has no good villains so he ****s on the actual great villain IM does have.
You spoiled the movie to yourself? that's lame

knowing the twist beforehand will most probably critically affect your enjoyment of the movie. The Mandarin as a villain was beautifully done, a threatning presence who I felt was above other villains, almost unbeatable at his own game. How much you like the first half really depends on how much you like the Mandarin imo. The twist was uncalled for, but I still appreciate how the Mandarin was portrayed before the twist. And in a way he was a villain, as an idea, not as a person. The mere idea of Mandarin hurt Tony more than any of the previous villains. So, even though "Mandarin" was Killians cover, the idea was quite multi-functional. At first it doesn't make much sense, but when you think about how well the Mandarin actually worked in the beginning, you kinda notice how much of a smart move it was from Killians part

much of the "it doesn't make sense" comes from the grudge towards handling the character like this

Old 04-26-2013, 04:01 AM   #27
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
Here's my IM3 review, spoiler-free:

Easily my favorite MCU film. If Avengers didn't blow your mind away, like it didn't mine, then it could very well be yours, too. Solid 8/10

Music: Iron Man finally has a theme. Mandarin's theme and associated music is also inspired, it really works for the mystique of the character. It's not one of the best pieces of music I've heard, but it sounds epic, and it has a place in a good Conan movie. Which is a very big compliment, imo.

Story: It's a big wtf. Easily the worst of the Iron Man movies. However...

Screenplay: ...the screenplay helps make it something else. The dialogue is sharp (because Shane Black) and the story arcs are very well fleshed out. It's hilarious, really. If you like Shane's style, it's 99% certain you'll like this one.

Direction: Which brings me to Shane. He was the right choice for this. He takes tons of risks, something the MCU never did, imo, and most pay off big time. He's also not afraid to give us plenty of action. Good man. He also knew EXACTLY what to bring out of each actor/actress. Bravo.

Tone: Definitely different than IM2, fairly different than IM1, but somehow it all fits. It's better, though, I hope they go on with this kind of tone in future sequels, if there are any.

FX: Solid. Not always consistent, but that's the name of the game, so...

Cinematography: Solid. Nothing to write home about, though.

Acting: One of the movie's strong points, along with the screenplay. The movie rests on RDJ's shoulders and he's at the top of his game, easily his best performance. Cheadle proves why he's the right choice for Rhodes. Gwyn chews on what she's given (and she's given some stuff to do). Rebecca has a small role, but that's not a complaint, I'm glad they got such a talent for this part, it needed humanity. Pearce was f**kin' awesome! Ben was a scene-stopper... from a point on. You'll see. Badge was very threatening in a non-chalant way, he really stood out to me. And Favreau was having SO much damn fun! The kid was also very, first cinematic kid in ages that doesn't get on my nerves. The other sidekick Tony finds in a van was also hilarious.

Characters: Well, I enjoyed all of them. Some of them didn't have to be in the movie (like Maya Hansen), but even so they made them work well. Happy, Mandarin and Savin are the ones that stood out to me. Also, there's a Coulson-like subplot going on with Happy in this movie, which is Shane schooling Whedon how it's done.

Action: Top notch. Better than the Avengers. I'm serious. The scale is smaller, but it features some of the most inventive action scenes I've ever seen in my life. Trumps every other MCU film EASILY and it ranks among my favorites ever. Because Shane.

MCU-ness: Several well-placed references, it stands on its own very well and it doesn't REALLY set anything up (at least not in an obvious way, unless we haven't seen the last of Extremis). I'm glad they didn't go the exact opposite route of IM2, ie. not have ANY references to Avengers at all. Very good balance.

After credits: Best yet. Then again, I love the stuff and characters involved.

Overall: I'm sure comic IM fans will hate the twist, but I'm not sure all of them will. I found that it REALLY worked and it was a very clever commentary on what the character represents. There are some TDKR similarities, I think comparisons will be inevitable, but, tbh, it's not a bad thing at all. This is a Shane Black movie. This is Shane's view of Marvel. And it's golden, it's inspired, it's the epitome of what the MCU is trying to achieve. Not Avengers. Iron Man 3. Yes, I'm biased, I did love the movie because of Shane, it's true. I hope they keep him around. Or not, maybe this character needs different directors, Bond style. I don't care about Phase 2 or Avengers 2, but I do care about Iron Man again. Highly recommended.
ideal scenario: i wake up tomorrow and see that iron man 4 is announced for phase 3 with RDJ starring and shane black writing and directing lol.

www.redlettermedia.com
Old 04-26-2013, 04:35 AM   #28
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?

I'm saying it now, this is probably the last Iron Man solo movie

Old 04-26-2013, 05:39 AM   #29
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWallCrawler View Post
i know, it may very well be. i cry everytime.

www.redlettermedia.com
Old 04-26-2013, 05:44 AM   #30
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?

but do you really want to see another Iron Man solo movie? A trilogy is enough, a great introduction, an okay sequel, and a great final send-off, I don't want them to mess it up now

We will see Iron Man in Avengers 2 & 3, and I want the character to rest to let others shine for a while

Old 04-26-2013, 05:57 AM   #31
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

Quote:
but do you really want to see another Iron Man solo movie? A trilogy is enough, a great introduction, an okay sequel, and a great final send-off, I don't want them to mess it up now

We will see Iron Man in Avengers 2 & 3, and I want the character to rest to let others shine for a while
it's more that they did such a good job, imo, that i want more. i am greedy like that.

plus, it felt like a rebirth, not necessarily an end to his solo story. if they can figure out something interesting to do with this new tony stark, then i say go for it.

but mainly it is me just wanting another great solo adventure. i can understand if they don't do a fourth one though.

here's looking to avengers 2 for my next / possibly last RDJ iron man fix.

www.redlettermedia.com
Old 04-26-2013, 06:24 AM   #32
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

I'm calling it, Tony is becoming Director of SHIELD in Avengers 2.

Besides... "I AM Iron Man".

Last edited by Gianakin_; 04-26-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #33
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Well, I get your point. And I'm sure most will agree with you. I happen to agree with Shane and I think the twist works.
Because before the twist takes place, Mandarin is a generic POS character and Kingsley's acting is just as awkward as it sounds in the trailers. After the twist, though? Absolute delight.
I'm glad some can definitely enjoy it. But I really wanted to see how a Kingsley Mandarin could become and the idea that he's wasted...I would have felt the same if Hardy's Bane seemed like no threat as well as was just a ploy for Talia all along so it's not just me being biased because it's a Marvel film, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderdevil View Post
Actually the mandarin too wasn't too good.

IM has a really terrible rogue gallery
The Mandarin has always been Iron Man's Joker kind of villain. And while most of IM's rogue gallery is dreadful, Mandarin is that shining light. I'm still surprised Favreau managed to make Obadiah Stane interesting in the first film.

Quote:
You spoiled the movie to yourself? that's lame

knowing the twist beforehand will most probably critically affect your enjoyment of the movie. The Mandarin as a villain was beautifully done, a threatning presence who I felt was above other villains, almost unbeatable at his own game. How much you like the first half really depends on how much you like the Mandarin imo. The twist was uncalled for, but I still appreciate how the Mandarin was portrayed before the twist. And in a way he was a villain, as an idea, not as a person. The mere idea of Mandarin hurt Tony more than any of the previous villains. So, even though "Mandarin" was Killians cover, the idea was quite multi-functional. At first it doesn't make much sense, but when you think about how well the Mandarin actually worked in the beginning, you kinda notice how much of a smart move it was from Killians part

much of the "it doesn't make sense" comes from the grudge towards handling the character like this
Spoiling myself doesn't take any excitement away if I like it. I spoiled myself with TDKR and I loved the ending, but the twist...I don't know how I'd feel if I saw it without knowing. If I don't like it now, I don't want me to feel like I wasted money when I watch the twist happen happen right before my eyes.

Quote:
I'm betting this is going to be the case as well, but the way the film is...it doesn't really sound complete. Even Tony getting rid of everything doesn't sound like it completes the Iron Man series.

Quote:
I'm calling it, Tony is becoming Director of SHIELD in Avengers 2.

Besides... "I AM Iron Man".
What would become of Pepper? Iron Woman?

Last edited by Anno_Domini; 04-26-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #34
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Didn't Feige say that he wanted the MCU films be like James Bond - going on and on?

I would be REALLY disappointed if this is the last Iron Man film because I've always hoped that Marvel would go that "endless" route. Like comic arcs but on the big screen. Recasting every 10 years or so wouldn't be a problem. Comics change in looks, tone etc. with different artists and writers. I want to see that same thing happen to movies. I really don't want to have an Iron Man reboot anytime in the near future because that's just not needed.

EDIT: This whole thing Marvel is doing, building up a Marvel universe just like the comics but in films is such a genious thing, it would be totally wasted by not continuing their arcs.

"it's ****ing terrible. it's twilight ********."
-Levitikuz' friend, as told to Levitikuz' friend's date, about TASM.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #35
GENERAL RAAM582
The Amazing Spider-Man

I think that they should just continue the series and recast. Marvel could grow a pair and accurately show Tony's alcoholism.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #36
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?

Quote:
[SPOILER]I'm betting this is going to be the case as well, but the way the film is...it doesn't really sound complete. Even Tony getting rid of everything doesn't sound like it completes the Iron Man series.
Tony getting rid of every armor was a dumb move from the director... I know it's supposed to be all metaphoric and stuff, but I thought we'd from now on have the Iron Man with ton of suits like in the comics, but no... then again, I thought we'd get a Mandarin that wasn't a flat out joke

Old 04-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #37
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENERAL RAAM582 View Post
I think that they should just continue the series and recast. Marvel could grow a pair and accurately show Tony's alcoholism.
I know there was some talk of it being a James Bond type series after RDJ quit, but do they really have the balls? They are not losing the rights to anyone like Sony was losing rights to Spider-Man (I do believe that if Sony had the rights secured, they would've waited at least 2 years longer

Old 04-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #38
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulsor Blast View Post
it's more that they did such a good job, imo, that i want more. i am greedy like that.

plus, it felt like a rebirth, not necessarily an end to his solo story. if they can figure out something interesting to do with this new tony stark, then i say go for it.

but mainly it is me just wanting another great solo adventure. i can understand if they don't do a fourth one though.

here's looking to avengers 2 for my next / possibly last RDJ iron man fix.
they will squeeze Avengers 3 out of RDJ, trust me

Old 04-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #39
GENERAL RAAM582
The Amazing Spider-Man

He's not that old, and you can just CGI his face in the suit.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:32 PM   #40
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

so who else here will be watching star trek into darkness in part to see how good the script is? if it is decent i will have more hope for tasm2.

www.redlettermedia.com
Old 04-26-2013, 11:56 PM   #41
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Tony getting rid of every armor was a dumb move from the director... I know it's supposed to be all metaphoric and stuff, but I thought we'd from now on have the Iron Man with ton of suits like in the comics, but no... then again, I thought we'd get a Mandarin that wasn't a flat out joke
Lol...yah...maybe Shane Black had a problem with Stark's IM suits as well since he ****ed that one up too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulsor Blast View Post
so who else here will be watching star trek into darkness in part to see how good the script is? if it is decent i will have more hope for tasm2.
I'm hoping that Star Trek Into Darkness sheds some light for the month of May for movies, lol. Is it true John Harrison is really Khan? I've heard so many back and forths on it being true and then it not being true.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:22 AM   #42
AF3619
WOOO!

Just saw Iron Man 3 i give it a 8.5-9/10 really liked it but i have some minor problems SPOILERS
1.-Mandarin twist..really...like really? but Ben Kingsley is great to what they gave him to do
2.- War Machine/Iron Patriot underused
3.-Why Tony, WHYYYYYYY? YOUR FREAKING ARMORS!?
p.s. The post credit scene is not that worth it

BUT WHEN IS GREAT IT IS GREAT, i really liked it , the whole movie felt like just an hour and it seems like a closure for Ironman so maybe the rumors are right this is the end for Ironman solo movies

Old 04-27-2013, 01:58 AM   #43
Joe_Kickass
Side-Kick

Quote:
Lol...yah...maybe Shane Black had a problem with Stark's IM suits as well since he ****ed that one up too

I'm hoping that Star Trek Into Darkness sheds some light for the month of May for movies, lol. Is it true John Harrison is really Khan? I've heard so many back and forths on it being true and then it not being true.
You need some optimism in your life.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:02 AM   #44
Joe_Kickass
Side-Kick

I think the world would be a better place if people set aside 15 minutes every day to look up and watch cute and cuddly kitten/puppy videos on YouTube.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:57 AM   #45
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Kickass View Post
You need some optimism in your life.
Man of Steel, Star Trek Into Darkness, Pacific Rim, Elysium, Interstellar, Transcendence, Hannibal, Person of Interest, the new Wu-Tang album....there's my optimism at the moment

Old 04-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #46
Oscorp
Side-Kick

When I thought a trailer couldn't get better than the one of Man of Steel, the Thor: The Dark World trailer popped up. I think that one looks even more promising to be honest with you guys.

"it's ****ing terrible. it's twilight ********."
-Levitikuz' friend, as told to Levitikuz' friend's date, about TASM.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #47
Joe_Kickass
Side-Kick

Quote:
Man of Steel, Star Trek Into Darkness, Pacific Rim, Elysium, Interstellar, Transcendence, Hannibal, Person of Interest, the new Wu-Tang album....there's my optimism at the moment
No love for Kickass 2, Arcade Fire, or Kanye? hopefully Radiohead as well, but I doubt it.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #48
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscorp View Post
When I thought a trailer couldn't get better than the one of Man of Steel, the Thor: The Dark World trailer popped up. I think that one looks even more promising to be honest with you guys.
I wouldn't go that far, now, lol. Thor wasn't that big of a spectacle as it very well could be and the sequel's trailer didn't feel like anything. I hope it's the best Marvel film of the year, but Man of Steel will wipe the floor with it, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Kickass View Post
No love for Kickass 2, Arcade Fire, or Kanye? hopefully Radiohead as well, but I doubt it.
Not a fan of the first Kick-Ass, but I'll still watch the sequel...Arcade Fire's not my thing...Kanye is a ****ing douche(but I will always keep my copies of College Dropout and Late Registration) and Radiohead is okay, but again, not my thing.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #49
Joe_Kickass
Side-Kick

Kanye might be a douche but I respect him for being really the only mainstream musical artist who doesn't talk ***** behind closed doors. He'll say to your face, on stage, in front of your fans lol he also spoke out against President Bush on NATIONAL TELEVSION, say what you will, he's got guts. And he's also a trend setter in terms of music and fashion, he is the closest thing we have to a modern day Beatles, critically acclaimed, influencial in his own time etc.

Last edited by Joe_Kickass; 04-27-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #50
Spiderdevil
Side-Kick

Kick-Ass 2 is my most anticipated Superhero movie this year

Closed Thread