The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #51
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: With Great Sequel Comes Great Lounging - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Kickass View Post
Kanye might be a douche but I respect him for being really the only mainstream musical artist who doesn't talk ***** behind closed doors. He'll say to your face, on stage, in front of your fans lol he also spoke out against President Bush on NATIONAL TELEVSION, say what you will, he's got guts. And he's also a trend setter in terms of music and fashion, he is the closest thing we have to a modern day Beatles, critically acclaimed, influencial in his own time etc.
And how does that mean anything about his music? He can have guts or whatever you want to call it, but his music blows. Prevail from Swollen Members would destroy him. Chali 2na would. Homeboy Sandman would. Aesop Rock would. Slug would. And the list goes on.

Anno_Domini is offline  
Old 04-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #52
GENERAL RAAM582
The Amazing Spider-Man
 
GENERAL RAAM582's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 10,618
Default Re: With Great Sequel Comes Great Lounging - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Kickass View Post
[Kanye] is the closest thing we have to a modern day Beatles...
I just died a little inside.

GENERAL RAAM582 is offline  
Old 04-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #53
Joe_Kickass
Side-Kick
 
Joe_Kickass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,015
Default Re: With Great Sequel Comes Great Lounging - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENERAL RAAM582 View Post
I just died a little inside.
Critically acclaimed, influciencial on mainstream music, sets fashion trends, all while being one of the most popular acts in the world. Yeah, he is the closest thing we have to The Beatles right now. Note that I am not talking about Kanye West the person, but Kanye West the musical artist.

Joe_Kickass is offline  
Old 04-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #54
Joe_Kickass
Side-Kick
 
Joe_Kickass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,015
Default Re: With Great Sequel Comes Great Lounging - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
And how does that mean anything about his music? He can have guts or whatever you want to call it, but his music blows. Prevail from Swollen Members would destroy him. Chali 2na would. Homeboy Sandman would. Aesop Rock would. Slug would. And the list goes on.
In terms of the mainstream pop culture, he's top tier. Musically he's what every mainstream artist should strive to be. Ambitious, melodic, and willing to take risks and inspiration from everywhere. He gets people interested in new artists and music genres through his samples and whatever he incorporates in his song. Comparisons mean nothing when it comes to music, because there's always someone who is arguably "better" at something then someone else. The Beatles were a pop mainstream group, same as how Kanye is a pop mainstream artist. I'm not talking from an "everyone vs Kanye" POV, I'm
talking about "mainstream/popular/current" artists.

Joe_Kickass is offline  
Old 04-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #55
Joe_Kickass
Side-Kick
 
Joe_Kickass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,015
Default Re: With Great Sequel Comes Great Lounging - Part 1

People are too focused on the celebrity aspect. Hell, Kanye admits in his own music that he's a douchebag/a-hole.

Joe_Kickass is offline  
Old 04-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #56
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: With Great Sequel Comes Great Lounging - Part 1

****ing pop cultures/icons are ****. Eminem could easily destroy the dude when it comes to mainstream rap, as well as Jay-Z.

Anno_Domini is offline  
Old 04-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #57
Joe_Kickass
Side-Kick
 
Joe_Kickass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,015
Default Re: With Great Sequel Comes Great Lounging - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
****ing pop cultures/icons are ****. Eminem could easily destroy the dude when it comes to mainstream rap, as well as Jay-Z.
Maybe in terms of flow, lyrically Jay-Z and Eminem are far from
prime, Kanye has always been about painting rather than rhymes.
What seperates a rapper from
an music artist. I don't care how many words you can spit in a minute or how tongue tied you can get, music is the most important aspect. The melody (which be honest, one of Kanye's greatest strengths lies in his hooks and choruses), the instrumentation, the beat. Kanye takes far more risks and have more ambition then Eminem or Jay-Z. 808s and Heartbreaks is Kanye's Kid A, Kanye's The Love Below. I don't personally enjoy that album very much, but it was more musically risky than anything Eminem or Jay-Z has done. Kanye's done piano ballads, rock songs, stripped down electronica, soul, symphonic instrumentals etc. yet he's
still consistent, and has always maintained a high level of appeal without really ever alienating anyone. He also has a humor to him in a lot of his music, which is actually very difficult to pull off lyrically without sounding cliche or immature.

Joe_Kickass is offline  
Old 04-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #58
GENERAL RAAM582
The Amazing Spider-Man
 
GENERAL RAAM582's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 10,618
Default Re: With Great Sequel Comes Great Lounging - Part 1

I've heard two songs from this guy. The Beatles managed to have nearly everyone hear their music.

GENERAL RAAM582 is offline  
Old 04-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #59
Joe_Kickass
Side-Kick
 
Joe_Kickass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,015
Default Re: With Great Sequel Comes Great Lounging - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENERAL RAAM582 View Post
I've heard two songs from this guy. The Beatles managed to have nearly everyone hear their music.
I'm fairly certain you've heard more than just two songs from him. Look up on YouTube Jesus Walks, Gold Digger, Flashing Lights, Stronger, Love Lockdown, Heartless, Power, All Of The Lights, Runaway, N*ggas in Paris, Otis. You're bound to have heard at least half of these.

Joe_Kickass is offline  
Old 04-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #60
GENERAL RAAM582
The Amazing Spider-Man
 
GENERAL RAAM582's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 10,618
Default Re: With Great Sequel Comes Great Lounging - Part 1

No thanks mate. I like my ears the way they are.

GENERAL RAAM582 is offline  
Old 04-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #61
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: With Great Sequel Comes Great Lounging - Part 1

Listen to his old stuff for sure....but, it's safe to just not dare to listen to him on YouTube as probably the first three pages are filled with his ****** new music, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Kickass View Post
Maybe in terms of flow, lyrically Jay-Z and Eminem are far from
prime, Kanye has always been about painting rather than rhymes.
What seperates a rapper from
an music artist. I don't care how many words you can spit in a minute or how tongue tied you can get, music is the most important aspect. The melody (which be honest, one of Kanye's greatest strengths lies in his hooks and choruses), the instrumentation, the beat. Kanye takes far more risks and have more ambition then Eminem or Jay-Z. 808s and Heartbreaks is Kanye's Kid A, Kanye's The Love Below. I don't personally enjoy that album very much, but it was more musically risky than anything Eminem or Jay-Z has done. Kanye's done piano ballads, rock songs, stripped down electronica, soul, symphonic instrumentals etc. yet he's
still consistent, and has always maintained a high level of appeal without really ever alienating anyone. He also has a humor to him in a lot of his music, which is actually very difficult to pull off lyrically without sounding cliche or immature.
Lyrically, Kanye is **** as well. While College Dropout and Late Registration are great albums, he's still no match compared to Jay or Eminem. Ever since their respective debuts, Reasonable Doubt and Infinite, they've been pretty stellar up until now...that's not with Kanye. He lost his touch when it comes to his music. Lyrically he's not even the same the way he used to be and add on to him just being a ****ing douche...he's another waste of talent that you always hear on the radio.

The day he quits "rapping" will be a step in the right direction that needs to happen to fellow "rappers" like Lil' Wayne, Waka Flocka, Drake(or as I prefer to call him, Wheelchair Jimmy), 2 Chainz, Big Sean and many others but I don't have the time to think of their names.

Anno_Domini is offline  
Old 04-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #62
Joe_Kickass
Side-Kick
 
Joe_Kickass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,015
Default Re: With Great Sequel Comes Great Lounging - Part 1

@ Anno
To use your own tactics against you, guess who had the most critically acclaimed albums of 2010, and one of the most critically acclaimed and listed albums of the 2000s decade?
http://www.metacritic.com/music/my-b...asy/kanye-west

Like you said with TDKR, this must mean SOMETHING right? Lol

Joe_Kickass is offline  
Old 04-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #63
Joe_Kickass
Side-Kick
 
Joe_Kickass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,015
Default Re: With Great Sequel Comes Great Lounging - Part 1

You know, unless you're willing to say critical reception and lists are meaningless, which would kind of contradict what you've said in the past:P

Joe_Kickass is offline  
Old 04-27-2013, 10:21 PM   #64
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: With Great Sequel Comes Great Lounging - Part 1

I'm not saying it doesn't mean ****, but good try on trying to pull a fast one on me.

To me, Kanye West is ****. He may have a huge fanbase, but I don't like him anymore and until he gets his act together, I'll never be a fan again.

This idea of trying to make it sound like I'm full of **** about my talk about critical reception when I personally don't like Kanye is hilarious, man.

Anno_Domini is offline  
Old 04-27-2013, 10:56 PM   #65
Joe_Kickass
Side-Kick
 
Joe_Kickass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,015
Default Re: With Great Sequel Comes Great Lounging - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
I'm not saying it doesn't mean ****, but good try on trying to pull a fast one on me.

To me, Kanye West is ****. He may have a huge fanbase, but I don't like him anymore and until he gets his act together, I'll never be a fan again.

This idea of trying to make it sound like I'm full of **** about my talk about critical reception when I personally don't like Kanye is hilarious, man.
You've mentioned numerous times TDKR's critical acclaim and it being on lots of lists as if to
prove it's quality to other people, usually when people are dismissive or critical of it. Same
situation, different medium. Don't pretend like if we switched places and we were talking about TDKR, with me constantly saying the movie is **** that you wouldn't just dismiss everything I said with "critical acclaim and on AFI's top 10 list".

Joe_Kickass is offline  
Old 04-27-2013, 11:47 PM   #66
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: With Great Sequel Comes Great Lounging - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Kickass View Post
You've mentioned numerous times TDKR's critical acclaim and it being on lots of lists as if to
prove it's quality to other people, usually when people are dismissive or critical of it. Same
situation, different medium. Don't pretend like if we switched places and we were talking about TDKR, with me constantly saying the movie is **** that you wouldn't just dismiss everything I said with "critical acclaim and on AFI's top 10 list".
Lol, trying to bring some reason into the way I view TDKR. Lovely.

The PROBLEM with that one is that true music has a real fanbase that doesn't care for the majority of mainstream music. What you bring up with Kanye and the acclaim it receives...it's from the other half that don't know a damn thing about great hip hop like Dilated Peoples or Living Legends.

Anno_Domini is offline  
Old 04-28-2013, 12:57 AM   #67
Joe_Kickass
Side-Kick
 
Joe_Kickass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,015
Default Re: With Great Sequel Comes Great Lounging - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Lol, trying to bring some reason into the way I view TDKR. Lovely.

The PROBLEM with that one is that true music has a real fanbase that doesn't care for the majority of mainstream music. What you bring up with Kanye and the acclaim it receives...it's from the other half that don't know a damn thing about great hip hop like Dilated Peoples or Living Legends.
"True music"? What the hell does that mean? Are you saying Kanye West doesn't put any amount of passion or attention into his music at all? If so then that's a complete and extremelly ignorant bias. How many rappers rap about their love lifes, not always about povetry, racism, discrimination, the ghetto, hood rat ****, but saying things like:
"Things used to be, now they not
Anything but us is who we are
Disguising ourselves as secret lovers
We've become public enemies
We walk away like strangers in the street
Gone for eternity
We erased one another
So far from where we came
With so much of everything, how do we leave with nothing
Lack of visual empathy equates the meaning of L-O-V-E
Hatred and attitude tear us entirely"
And the "they don't know what REAL rap is" argument is such BS. A lot of the reviews for the album, reviews that gave the album perfect scores, were from small independent websites, whom review hundereds upon hundreds of albums every year from
artists you've never even heard of, covering every genre under the sun. I'm pretty at least some of those reviewers know what they're talking about and aren't ignorant to the genre of rap.

Joe_Kickass is offline  
Old 04-28-2013, 01:36 AM   #68
mayo23
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,605
Default Re: With Great Sequel Comes Great Lounging - Part 1

Music is much more subjective than film imo. So therefore, critics list in regards to music are meaningless and hold less significance to me.

mayo23 is offline  
Old 04-28-2013, 01:52 AM   #69
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: With Great Sequel Comes Great Lounging - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Kickass View Post
"True music"? What the hell does that mean? Are you saying Kanye West doesn't put any amount of passion or attention into his music at all? If so then that's a complete and extremelly ignorant bias. How many rappers rap about their love lifes, not always about povetry, racism, discrimination, the ghetto, hood rat ****, but saying things like:
"Things used to be, now they not
Anything but us is who we are
Disguising ourselves as secret lovers
We've become public enemies
We walk away like strangers in the street
Gone for eternity
We erased one another
So far from where we came
With so much of everything, how do we leave with nothing
Lack of visual empathy equates the meaning of L-O-V-E
Hatred and attitude tear us entirely"
And the "they don't know what REAL rap is" argument is such BS. A lot of the reviews for the album, reviews that gave the album perfect scores, were from small independent websites, whom review hundereds upon hundreds of albums every year from
artists you've never even heard of, covering every genre under the sun. I'm pretty at least some of those reviewers know what they're talking about and aren't ignorant to the genre of rap.
You got that right. Kanye West has zero passion these days and only comes off as an egotistical dick without any real passion in his songs that takes me back to the feeling I had when I would listen to Spaceship, Through the Wire, Touch the Sky, Hey Mama.

You can try to defend all you want, but Kanye West is just plain crap and has been for a solid eight years now. And I can always help ya out and give you some names of true hip hop artists these days

And please...artists I've never heard of...you have zero idea the knowledge I have when it comes to music pal, lol. You should know a thing or two about music yourself before you try to defend Kanye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo23 View Post
Music is much more subjective than film imo. So therefore, critics list in regards to music are meaningless and hold less significance to me.
Very accurate. Music goes from mainstream to indie and critics are more dumbed down in knowing the indie scene that has music keeping what it began to be, not what mainstream has turned it into.

Anno_Domini is offline  
Old 04-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #70
GENERAL RAAM582
The Amazing Spider-Man
 
GENERAL RAAM582's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 10,618
Default Re: With Great Sequel Comes Great Lounging - Part 1

Finally got around to seeing Sucker Punch. I thought it was pretty entertaining. Nothing too amazing, I'd give it an 7.5-8. Definitely not the terrible movie most people were telling me about. It's pure eye-candy really, but it's more engaging than Transformers.

GENERAL RAAM582 is offline  
Old 04-28-2013, 09:06 AM   #71
Johnny Drama
Sex Panther
 
Johnny Drama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Meow!
Posts: 12,270
Default Re: With Great Sequel Comes Great Lounging - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
And how does that mean anything about his music? He can have guts or whatever you want to call it, but his music blows. Prevail from Swollen Members would destroy him. Chali 2na would. Homeboy Sandman would. Aesop Rock would. Slug would. And the list goes on.
I'm not a big Kanye fan, but if you can't identify his talent as a producer and as a rapper than you need to go home. Listing a bunch of underground rappers to add credibility to your insults is pretentious and played out. Sit Kanye and Aesop in front of an mpc3000 and an open laptop with Reason or Ableton running. Kanye, as much as I dislike him, would make magic. Aesop, as much as I love him, wouldn't know what to do with himself. And seriously, you put waaay too much stock in Chali 2na. Fish market mixtapes and his stuff with J5 was decent but there is nothing special about him, to be honest.

__________________
When Goffam iz ashez, U haz my permishun 2 die
Johnny Drama is offline  
Old 04-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #72
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers
 
Repulsor Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 3,304
Default Re: With Great Sequel Comes Great Lounging - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENERAL RAAM582 View Post
Finally got around to seeing Sucker Punch. I thought it was pretty entertaining. Nothing too amazing, I'd give it an 7.5-8. Definitely not the terrible movie most people were telling me about. It's pure eye-candy really, but it's more engaging than Transformers.

damn son, man of steel is going to be an 11/10 from you then lol

__________________
Looks like you're a born loooooooooooooooserrrrrrrr

www.redlettermedia.com
Repulsor Blast is offline  
Old 04-28-2013, 09:45 AM   #73
Joe_Kickass
Side-Kick
 
Joe_Kickass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,015
Default Re: With Great Sequel Comes Great Lounging - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENERAL RAAM582 View Post
Finally got around to seeing Sucker Punch. I thought it was pretty entertaining. Nothing too amazing, I'd give it an 7.5-8. Definitely not the terrible movie most people were telling me about. It's pure eye-candy really, but it's more engaging than Transformers.
Damn dude, you give some inflated scores lol 7.5-8 would probably be considered really good.

Joe_Kickass is offline  
Old 04-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #74
Joe_Kickass
Side-Kick
 
Joe_Kickass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,015
Default Re: With Great Sequel Comes Great Lounging - Part 1

@ Anno
Nice job presenting yourself as the typical pretenious elitist who believe "My tastes are better than yours because I know artists you haven't even heard of *sticks out tongue while flipping me off*". You just agreed that music is subjective, then say you have better tastes then me and know about music more than me? Lol
God, you think so highly of yourself as the "well coordinated, thoughtful poster" of these forums, but in actuallity, you're just another poster with a superiority complex.

Joe_Kickass is offline  
Old 04-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #75
GENERAL RAAM582
The Amazing Spider-Man
 
GENERAL RAAM582's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 10,618
Default Re: With Great Sequel Comes Great Lounging - Part 1

7-7.5 is average for me.

GENERAL RAAM582 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.