The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 05:56 AM   #476
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 4

I would love to see Spider-woman (Jessica Drew version) in the MCU. She's a great character and there's a lot of potential. I'd be really interested to see how they adapt her costume. I imagine that would go through some serious changes, but I'd still hope to see something that's got at least big nods to the costume version.

As for the Redford spoiler. Is it even a spoiler? When he was announced I saw what felt like half the board speculation that possibility to the nature of his character.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:01 AM   #477
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

On another note, I'm hoping that the film doesn't entirely gloss over the public's reaction towards seeing Captain America alive after having presumed for the past 70+ years that he died back in World War 2. I don't think something that "big/historic" within the MCU for the American populace should be glossed over so easily.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:49 AM   #478
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphix View Post
My general feeling that Redford 'villainy' is more about being a corrupt or overly officious SHIELD director who has it in for Fury and forces certain agents to go AWOL.

I don't think he is gonna be anyone that exciting - just someone who, because of some personal gripe or by-the-book nature orders SHIELD to apprehend Cap and his buddies.
True; but it's a comic book movie, so it's reasonable to assume they're going to go after the more dramatic storyline. i.e., deep cover mole who's been planted in the SHIELD hierarchy for quite some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
On another note, I'm hoping that the film doesn't entirely gloss over the public's reaction towards seeing Captain America alive after having presumed for the past 70+ years that he died back in World War 2. I don't think something that "big/historic" within the MCU for the American populace should be glossed over so easily.
Yeah, there's a much bigger gap to bridge for MCU Cap (70 years) than comic-book Cap (17 years). The "man out of time" theme should be pervasive throughout the whole movie.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 05-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #479
Orphix
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
True; but it's a comic book movie, so it's reasonable to assume they're going to go after the more dramatic storyline. i.e., deep cover mole who's been planted in the SHIELD hierarchy for quite some time.
I totally hear you. And I do expect a great deal of superspy/undercover agent type stuff. All those secrets and cover-ups are pretty fundamental to the Winter Soldier story.

I also imagine they're gonna play out the Black Widow/Russian connection with the story - which may also tie into her "I got red in my ledger" theme. It would certainly be a good way of motivating her to break away from SHIELD's control.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:00 AM   #480
Orphix
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah, there's a much bigger gap to bridge for MCU Cap (70 years) than comic-book Cap (17 years). The "man out of time" theme should be pervasive throughout the whole movie.
Absolutely. And add to the fact that he was such a national hero. He is one of the few heroes in which the general public and their reaction to him is pivitol.

It was interesting to see that whole "And why should I take orders from you?" scene in The Avengers with the cops and Cap. In one fell swoop it established Caps natural leadership qualities whilst placing the idea that he may have been somewhat forgotten by contemporary society.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #481
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphix View Post
Absolutely. And add to the fact that he was such a national hero. He is one of the few heroes in which the general public and their reaction to him is pivitol.

It was interesting to see that whole "And why should I take orders from you?" scene in The Avengers with the cops and Cap. In one fell swoop it established Caps natural leadership qualities whilst placing the idea that he may have been somewhat forgotten by contemporary society.
Those cops wouldn't have actually known how great Cap was because to the public he was just a propaganda device during the war. All of his missions would've gone completely unknown by the public. Thus he becomes the living legend.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #482
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Goliath View Post
Those cops wouldn't have actually known how great Cap was because to the public he was just a propaganda device during the war. All of his missions would've gone completely unknown by the public. Thus he becomes the living legend.
I'm sure most of Cap's missions would have been classified (but surely there's a statute of limitations on that --- I mean, after 70 years, a lot of that would be *de*-classified), but more than a few missions would have been publicly played out on newsreels as propaganda for the GIs and the families back on the homefront. That deleted scene from The Avengers alludes to that, with Steve watching some of the old footage.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #483
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm sure most of Cap's missions would have been classified (but surely there's a statute of limitations on that --- I mean, after 70 years, a lot of that would be *de*-classified), but more than a few missions would have been publicly played out on newsreels as propaganda for the GIs and the families back on the homefront. That deleted scene from The Avengers alludes to that, with Steve watching some of the old footage.
Pretty much.

Remember, he was supposed to be a symbol, and a symbol needs to be seen.

As for the cops, their reaction makes a ton of sense. They don't think he's Captain America, because Captain America has been dead for seventy and if he was alive he'd be an old man.

When they see Steve, they assume he's some nutjob in a costume, not the real deal.

Even after he beats up the aliens, it's likely that the cops stil think he's a butjob in a costume, but one who knows what's going on and what to do.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #484
KDM1986
Midnight Sons Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Knight View Post
Now this twist I can totally get behind. If this is true then I say bring it.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If that happens on screen with Robert Redford I would be so happy. Ecspecially if its like the last thing you see as the Credits Roll.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #485
Cagefighterkip
Mr. Golightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
I would love to see Spider-woman (Jessica Drew version) in the MCU...
Marvel has the rights to Spider-Woman? I just figured it would be a package deal w/Columbia and the Spider-Man franchise. Cool!

Children are not born conservative bigots. They're molded to become them by their elders. Let's leave the world a better place, people.

Love and let love. Live and let live. #NOH8
Old 05-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #486
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cagefighterkip View Post
Marvel has the rights to Spider-Woman? I just figured it would be a package deal w/Columbia and the Spider-Man franchise. Cool!
Jessica Drew actually has nothing to do with Spider-man

Old 05-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #487
ctsketch
Side-Kick

echo impression: He look like he have no nutrition on him!

Old 05-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #488
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Wow he looks anorexic. Someone get that man a steak!

Old 05-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #489
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

He needs a protein shake, he looks like skeletor's malnourished younger brother

Old 05-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #490
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

damn he's vascular haha. and I also want that shirt!

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
Old 05-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #491
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post

Do you even know anything about the character? Having the codename of Spider-Woman as an agent would be a very dumb reason not to introduce her into the MCU, where she'd fit in pretty much perfectly.
I know what I've read on Wiki and Marvel ..... the name alone has me rolling my eyes at the obvious association the GA will attempt to draw from it.

The mere fact that she was created as a character to prevent some other comic company from ever using the name is enough for me to PASS.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #492
peterparker0077
Side-Kick

Yeah, I wish he was more in Cavil shape.... I think he should be. I have to assume that he and his trainer are going by some one's direction to keep in this shape for some reason.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #493
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
I don't know myself. I'd assume not despite the name. She's not a Spider-man character.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #494
peterparker0077
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't know myself. I'd assume not despite the name. She's not a Spider-man character.
i think she's just too similar to Black Widow to use personally.... I think they'll focus on Ms Marvel first

Old 05-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #495
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Man, there's a lot of misinformation about Spider-Woman on this page.
I'm surprised so many people don't know a thing about her.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #496
Cagefighterkip
Mr. Golightly

Quote:
NVM -- I'm stupid -- I was thinking of Spider-Girl, wow I feel dumb. Crawling back under my rock now lol

Children are not born conservative bigots. They're molded to become them by their elders. Let's leave the world a better place, people.

Love and let love. Live and let live. #NOH8
Old 05-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #497
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterparker0077 View Post
i think she's just too similar to Black Widow to use personally.... I think they'll focus on Ms Marvel first
Outside of female spy I don't really see it. I think her Hydra connection would instantly make her stand out more compared to Black Widow and could make for a great angle to introduce the character into the MCU.

Quote:
NVM -- I'm stupid -- I was thinking of Spider-Girl, wow I feel dumb. Crawling back under my rock now lol
lol, it's ok. Sounds like a reasonable mistake to make.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #498
Ant-manic
Banned User

Spider-woman would work as a villain; field leader of a revitalized Hydra (for instance). that gets her away from the comparisons to the unrelated Spider-man. the british accent will seal the deal.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #499
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
I know what I've read on Wiki and Marvel ..... the name alone has me rolling my eyes at the obvious association the GA will attempt to draw from it.

The mere fact that she was created as a character to prevent some other comic company from ever using the name is enough for me to PASS.
Then don't post your automatic descension on the idea of the character being in the MCU when you basically know nothing about the character. Furthermore, having the codename Spider-Woman as a SHIELD agent in an Avengers or Cap movie is not the same as having her movie branded as Spider-Woman.

Quote:
Man, there's a lot of misinformation about Spider-Woman on this page.
I'm surprised so many people don't know a thing about her.
I'm not.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #500
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Then don't post your automatic descension on the idea of the character being in the MCU when you basically know nothing about the character. Furthermore, having the codename Spider-Woman as a SHIELD agent in an Avengers or Cap movie is not the same as having her movie branded as Spider-Woman.
Would like 3rd agent with an arachnid name? Let's make one The Brown Recluse too while we're at it. We already have the Black Widow and that's more than enough before the cheeseball factor sets in.

Regardless, I dunno what you're talking about in regards to her character. I told you the links I read to give me a brief synopsis of her. Are those fictitious?

Closed Thread