Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 08:14 AM   #701
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Default Re: Dr. Lecter Invites you to Dinner. The ''Hannibal'' Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklypze View Post
Well the thing is, I just can not imagine Mads' Hannibal acting the way Hopkins' did when incarcerated. I can't imagine this Hannibal being so overtly malevolent and inhuman like Hopkins was. Sure he does embody both of those things but he's so much more complex than that. I just can't imagine Hannibal looking at Will and not seeing a friend. I see this Hannibal stabbing Will and actually being somewhat sad about having to.
Hopkins' voice pitch was just different and more notable, even in the scene in Red Dragon pre-capture.

What's going to drive Hannibal away from Will is that Will is now putting the pieces together. Hannibal has seen Will as somewhat of an equal, but someone he could control. Once Hannibal starts to feel that Will has outsmarted him...or that he no longer needs Hannibal for guidance...Hannibal will no longer be a happy camper, and Will's independence and clear thinking will lead him to discovering the truth about Hannibal.

Mads most likely won't have that crazy voice that Hopkins is famous for, but it's what Hannibal says while incarcerated that makes it so memorable. Now, in this season, he is reserved and keeps his thoughts to himself. But once his true nature is revealed, Hannibal has never been one to beat around the bush. He can see through anyone and eventually won't be able to rip them to shreds...verbally, of course.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:49 AM   #702
Maximus One
Oddball

Oh I totally agree. The thing is, I am having trouble picturing Mads' Hannibal not being subtle or always calm and collected. You know, it is a lot to do with Hopkins' voice. He just had this completely different manner and sound in his voice than Mads does. Honestly I prefer Mads' performance. Hopkins' malevolence was just always so palpable but Mads' performance is just ****ing stunning. The subtlety, the cool demeanor, the elegance and yet us as the audience since we are privy to the monster that Hannibal truly is we get to see that real monster and we know it's always there yet he still makes himself feel so human. He portrays equal parts humanity and inhumanity but we are the only ones really seeing the inhumanity in him right now. I just don't want Mads' portrayal to change much once we hit his incarceration. Will will still be going to Hannibal for consultation on cases all the while still being manipulated. Now that I'm really sitting here trying to imagine what it might actually be like once we hit that point in the timeline omg I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it. I'm so glad we are getting a second season but damn I hope it gets renewed again lol. The next year or waiting and then the prospect of renewal is gonna drive me absolutely batty

Old 06-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #703
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:
Oh I totally agree. The thing is, I am having trouble picturing Mads' Hannibal not being subtle or always calm and collected. You know, it is a lot to do with Hopkins' voice. He just had this completely different manner and sound in his voice than Mads does. Honestly I prefer Mads' performance. Hopkins' malevolence was just always so palpable but Mads' performance is just ****ing stunning. The subtlety, the cool demeanor, the elegance and yet us as the audience since we are privy to the monster that Hannibal truly is we get to see that real monster and we know it's always there yet he still makes himself feel so human. He portrays equal parts humanity and inhumanity but we are the only ones really seeing the inhumanity in him right now. I just don't want Mads' portrayal to change much once we hit his incarceration. Will will still be going to Hannibal for consultation on cases all the while still being manipulated. Now that I'm really sitting here trying to imagine what it might actually be like once we hit that point in the timeline omg I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it. I'm so glad we are getting a second season but damn I hope it gets renewed again lol. The next year or waiting and then the prospect of renewal is gonna drive me absolutely batty
The thing about Hopkins is that even with his crazy voice, he was mostly calm, collected, and in control, even in prison. Yes, he let loose with lines like the "fava beans" once in awhile, but he plays mental games with anyone he comes into contact with, just like Mads is doing now on this show. Even while incarcerated, Hannibal is always a step ahead of the rest. It's the dialogue that will always be the most disturbing.

I can't wait til Hannibal is caught, and Will speaks to him through the glass cell. Then, Hannibal will REALLY be able to tell Will what he thinks of him and others. I imagine Mads will still keep his cool. He won't resort to becoming a raving lunatic that bounces around his cell like the Joker. But hopefully, we get to see the real monster in action at least once or twice. This season, Hannibal's crimes have mostly taken place off screen. We learn about them, but haven't seen them. Imagine seeing Mads unleash the beast for a minute. Imagine him lunging at a victim and chewing his face off like we know he probably wants to do to so many people. THAT will be awesome. The humanity were seeing now is just a mask. A very well-made, perfectly fitting mask, but a facade nonetheless.

We're starting to see it now little by little, but eventually, once he is caught and bested by Will, Hannibal will absolutely LOATHE him. Hell, in Red Dragon, he spends the whole book/movie trying to have Will killed while he's sitting calmly in prison! Their dynamic is very different than the dynamic between Clarice and Hanmibal. Will and Hannibal have a history, which is what were seeing now on this show. Allies who became enemies, whereas Hannibal is oddly fascinated by Clarice and protective of her.

Hannibal is an evil genius and we haven't even scratched the surface of the true depths of his evil nature.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #704
lime
Movie critic

My theory that next season Hannibal will be in prison is still possible, right?

Old 06-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #705
Maximus One
Oddball

See I don't think it's a complete facade. Sure, he may have a massive god complex and think he's so above everybody else and he is an absolutely monster but he's still a human being with real emotions and he has displayed them multiple times. You see a real sense of melancholy in his eyes when talking about being so alone and alienated. It's like he does somewhat regret his life experiences that turned him into the monster he is.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:33 AM   #706
hellblazer103
Nasty Piece of Work

single best hannibal fan video i've seen :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGV5Eg-WBN4

Old 06-16-2013, 11:33 AM   #707
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

Love this show.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #708
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:
See I don't think it's a complete facade. Sure, he may have a massive god complex and think he's so above everybody else and he is an absolutely monster but he's still a human being with real emotions and he has displayed them multiple times. You see a real sense of melancholy in his eyes when talking about being so alone and alienated. It's like he does somewhat regret his life experiences that turned him into the monster he is.
If anything, it seems Hannibal's false face is so convincing that he even tricks himself into believing he has the capacity for friendship...which his psychiatrist keeps reminding him that he does not. But once scene Hannibal will be talking of Will as someone he considers the be a friend, and then the next he is gruesomely murdering a doctor in what seems to be an attempt to frame Will.

So the point is...you really can't trust anything Hannibal says or does at this point. That's why he's so fascinating. A killer like Dexter has a conscious and a code. He has feelings and loved ones, despite his dark urges. Hannibal is nowhere close to that stage of normalcy.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #709
antsman41
Darkness... yeah.

Didn't we get a shot of Hannibal in a burning house during the 'upcoming season' preview after the first episode? I don't see where that comes into play next week...

I • N • T • E • R • S • T • E • L • L • A • R
Old 06-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #710
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

I can't believe there are so many fan-vids for this show on youtube... and yet no one has uploaded the Hannibal/Tobias fight scene.

Come on, people. Priorities.

H.E.(R?)
Old 06-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #711
venus_ice
All the TDKR feels

There will be a Hannibal panel at ComicCon! http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/06/1...2a87866500000d

Old 06-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #712
insider1970
Side-Kick

Very interesting review of the finale by "Hannibal cafe" site! It's not spoilerish (IMO):

http://hannibalcafe.com/my-review-of...ale-savoureux/

Why do we have to wait so long for season 2?? But, as the Good Doctor wisely says, "all good things to those who wait" (I hope )

Old 06-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #713
insider1970
Side-Kick

This most recent Fuller interview makes me very optimistic about upcoming seasons to follow!!
Quote:
Bryan Fuller: I knew there was going to be a second season, regardless, whether or not it was on NBC.

Because of the foreign deal?

Bryan Fuller: Because of the foreign deal and because of other interests that had stepped forward and said, "If NBC doesn't pick up the show, we want to." So I knew there was going to be a second season. I just didn't know whether it was going to be on NBC.

They had this property, they seemed really happy with it, to the point where (NBC entertainment president) Jennifer Salke has said they passed on "The Following" because they had you and loved you. And yet you wound up being held for a very long time in the season, get put into a timeslot where they've really struggled for a few years now. What do you think happened?

Bryan Fuller: I think there was certainly caution on NBC's side. They supported the show creatively and really allowed me to make the series that I wanted to make and tell the story that I wanted to tell. There was relatively no interference and a lot of support on really delivering a very complicated psychological tale. What happened is that you have the people who are supporting the creative and championing the show with me, and when you get to programming, which is a different head of the hydra, that there's no telling where the programming department will feel safe putting a show. But that had no reflection on Jen Salke's support, or Vernon Sanders'. The day to day executives who interacted with the show were all, "We believe in this show. This show is amazing." Part of what made the show so doable on a network was that they were so supportive, but that doesn't necessarily mean they can influence who's programming the schedule or where they put the show based on advertising dollars. The reason they didn't announce us at upfronts is that they wanted to remove this show from a ratings conversation. Upfronts are all about ad sales. The advertisers are like, "Wait, you've got 2 million people watching it live, and 5 million watching it time-shifted," and that doesn't necessarily give them a lot of confidence. So I think them removing "Hannibal" from the upfront conversation was a way to safely pick it up for the future — to keep it as far away from a ratings and ad sale conversation as possible.
I have to congratulate NBC for their support then! And they passed on "Following" for "Hannibal"? Haha! That's an EXCELLENT decision "quality-wise" of course. Let's hope they remain as passionate in their support in the future

Interview here: http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...newal-and-more

There will be a "part 2" of this interview, apparently, after the finale airs tonight. It seems to be more interesting, discussing the finale events etc.

P.S. I've always suspected they knew they were having a second season and they were "playing" us!!

Old 06-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #714
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

I can agree that Hannibal was much better than the Following.

Proud Co-founder of Gambit’s Royal Flush
Old 06-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #715
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Hey, lets accentuate how much we like one thing by ****ting on something else!

H.E.(R?)
Old 06-20-2013, 11:07 PM   #716
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

I'm wondering if we pick up a couple of years after and if after next season we pick up a couple of years after as well. Reason being --

I'm unsure how Will's going to get out this fast and get over it this fast. If he's in there a couple of years to a year, I could see a recovering agent trying to move on from the past and then getting swept back up into it again leading to the events that begin Red Dragon.

And the third season I'm guessing is more or less an adaptation of Red Dragon? After Will is famous for some time, has a wife and a child (unless they choose to remove that party). So, the third season will be already jumping forward a couple of years if it's a close adaptation.

Then depending on if Clarice is Season 4, I'm unsure - but that might be another jump.

Possibly, unsure.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag
Old 06-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #717
hellblazer103
Nasty Piece of Work

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
i get the feeling they're going to turn will's role in the show into hopkins' lecter's role in the movies (jack crawford having him help catch killers while he's incarcerated ) . that'd actually be a genius idea IMO. i also loved the **** out of how much that last scene echoed will's first visit to hannibal in the asylum in red dragon.

holy balls that was a crazy finale.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:10 PM   #718
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellblazer103 View Post
i get the feeling they're going to turn will's role in the show into hopkins' lecter's role in the movies (jack crawford having him help catch killers while he's incarcerated ) . that'd actually be a genius idea IMO.

holy balls that was a crazy finale.
I could see that.

Looking back over what I initially stated and checking and seeing that he has this seven-year plan. You're definitely right.

1 - Hannibal and Will meet
2 - Will behind bars
3 - Will is back on the case, in the end he arrests Hannibal
4 - Will's rise and Hannibal's fall
5 - Red Dragon
6 - Silence of the Lambs
7 - Hannibal

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 06-20-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:12 PM   #719
flickchick85
Loose Seal

That was awesome. I'm so glad Bryan Fuller knew he'd be doing a second season when he wrote this, because otherwise I'd have to assume he was pure evil.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
Old 06-21-2013, 12:24 AM   #720
Maximus One
Oddball

The feels!! I don't even know where to begin.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:32 AM   #721
Maximus One
Oddball

And I don't care what anybody say but I think visually Tarsem Singh's The Cell was a huge influence on this show.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:14 AM   #722
antsman41
Darkness... yeah.

So, beautiful...

Just chilling.

Mads is Hannibal, no doubt. Will, gosh I feel for him. But, at least now he knows that Hannibal is all that he seems to be.

Can't wait for more...

I • N • T • E • R • S • T • E • L • L • A • R
Old 06-21-2013, 02:16 AM   #723
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Dat finale. This ****ing show, I just.... I can't even. Too good.

I'm guessing Hannibal and Gillian Anderson were dining on Abigail?

H.E.(R?)
Old 06-21-2013, 03:10 AM   #724
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

I am stunned. That was fantastic. Just...wow. Mads, for me, is Hannibal. Hopkins is obviously fantastic but Mads gets to me more. And this Will Graham is my favourite protagonist in any Hannibal-related material (This, Red Dragon book, Red Dragon movie, Manhunter, The Silence of the Lambs book, The Silence of the Lambs movie, Hannibal book, Hannibal movie and....that other one).

Old 06-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #725
insider1970
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatehero View Post
I could see that.

Looking back over what I initially stated and checking and seeing that he has this seven-year plan. You're definitely right.

1 - Hannibal and Will meet
2 - Will behind bars
3 - Will is back on the case, in the end he arrests Hannibal
4 - Will's rise and Hannibal's fall
5 - Red Dragon
6 - Silence of the Lambs
7 - Hannibal
Nope, according to Fuller himself this is his plan:
"In the first season we have this weird bromance between Will and Hannibal, season two is the nasty break up and the third season would have a fugitive angle to it, the fourth season would be 'Red Dragon,' the fifth season would be in the realm of 'Silence Of The Lambs,' the sixth season would be 'Hannibal,'" Fuller says.

He continues, "In the seventh season it would be interesting to see Will Graham and a Clarice Starling type character come together for an adventure with their nemesis, Hannibal Lecter."

My notes: 1) He mentions "Clarice-type character" because he doesn't know yet if he will get the rights to the original character. 2) By saying "coming together" doesn't necessarily mean they will hunt down Hannibal together, maybe he will keep book ending and have Will go after the "happy couple". He hasn't clarified this yet.. 3) And he has mentioned that between season 3 and season 4 (Red Dragon season) there will be a "time gap". Don't know for other seasons though..

Closed Thread