Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #826
Paradox1
Side-Kick

Default Re: Dr. Lecter Invites you to Dinner. The ''Hannibal'' Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by theShape View Post
Comforting, sure. Doesn't necessarily make it the "status quo" for all killers, nor does it make their motivations any more interesting.

Are you? Would any of us be? It's certainly happened, historically. Remember the "Craigslist killer"? I imagine there are many active killers hiding in plain sight in today's society (like Hanmibal) who have no reason to kill other than their own personal interest or mental imbalance. All murderers werent "born in blood" like Dexter, or abused in a white trash environment like Rob Zombie's Michael Myers.

Anybody can become a killer with the right circumstances like gambling debts like the Graigslist killer. However to become a serial killer with the cycle of killing and the rituals is a whole different class. What drives them to murder is not always clear but a part of their motive 100% of the time is going to be how they grew up. You know how I know that? because how everyone grows up is a factor in how everyone behaves.

"Wars are never won, regardless of who might be the victor. The very act of war is itself a horrible defeat." Guardian of the Universe "Battleground: Oa!" Green Lantern, 1st Silver Age series, #127, Denny O'Neil)
Old 07-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #827
Matt Mortem
Nintend'oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklypze View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one who was slightly annoyed by that. It's just like every episode from like 6 and on is just Will completely losing his ****
Quote:
Yeah, as I said before, that whole schtick was getting old fast. It was almost like in every other scene, Will was hallucinating and screwing something up. I understand the purpose of it on the grand scheme of things, but it quickly became redundant.
I think by episode 9 I was just so bored of him being crazy that I found myself doing other things while Will was going through his insanity. I hope Season 2 doesn't rely on that and moves the story forward more.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #828
hellblazer103
Nasty Piece of Work

you're welcome.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #829
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

It's a key part of the story, I don't see what's to be annoyed by.

By 2016, Batman will have appeared in three big-screen films since 2008. By 2016, Iron Man will have appeared in six films in the same amount of time. Find new s*** to diagnose the current state of cinema with.

Sincerely,
Sawyer

Old 07-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #830
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox1 View Post
Anybody can become a killer with the right circumstances like gambling debts like the Graigslist killer. However to become a serial killer with the cycle of killing and the rituals is a whole different class. What drives them to murder is not always clear but a part of their motive 100% of the time is going to be how they grew up. You know how I know that? because how everyone grows up is a factor in how everyone behaves.
You're off the mark here. While I agree that many people grow up and become "themselves" (even killers) as a product of their upbringing/childhood, such is not always the case. By your definition, someone who develops a passion for music and becomes a great musician would have developed that passion from a musical family background. Such is not always the case. I, personally, am borderline obsessed with comics and film, so much so i am pursuing a career in filmmaking. My father was a car salesman and my mother is a bookkeeper for an appliance store. Where did I get my passion from? How did I become exactly te way I am? Not from them entirely, that's for sure.

My point is that for certain serial killers throughout time (and the ones we don't know exist), killing is their passion. It's their ritual. We're they inspired to pursues their passion based on childhood trauma? Maybe, sure. But what of those with a perfectly good upbringing who find their passion for killing on their own? Maybe they killed first unintentionally, but then developed a taste for it and LIKED it. It becomes an addiction, just like many of us are addicted to comic book films and media.

There are many entirely possible scenarios for why people do what they do. That's just a fact.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #831
Maximus One
Oddball

Exactly. Every time he was on screen in the second half of the season I was just like, here we go again

Old 07-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #832
Paradox1
Side-Kick

Quote:
You're off the mark here. While I agree that many people grow up and become "themselves" (even killers) as a product of their upbringing/childhood, such is not always the case. By your definition, someone who develops a passion for music and becomes a great musician would have developed that passion from a musical family background. Such is not always the case. I, personally, am borderline obsessed with comics and film, so much so i am pursuing a career in filmmaking. My father was a car salesman and my mother is a bookkeeper for an appliance store. Where did I get my passion from? How did I become exactly te way I am? Not from them entirely, that's for sure.

My point is that for certain serial killers throughout time (and the ones we don't know exist), killing is their passion. It's their ritual. We're they inspired to pursues their passion based on childhood trauma? Maybe, sure. But what of those with a perfectly good upbringing who find their passion for killing on their own? Maybe they killed first unintentionally, but then developed a taste for it and LIKED it. It becomes an addiction, just like many of us are addicted to comic book films and media.

There are many entirely possible scenarios for why people do what they do. That's just a fact.
I think we are arguing nurture vs nature which is a debate that experts on the subject argue everyday. However the consensus on the subject is that it takes both to create a serial killer. There doesn't have to be trauma in their life but sometimes just the feeling of being helpless or rejected with a genetic disposition can create a serial killer such as the case of Jeffery Dahmer. I mention Dahmer cause because he wasn't born in blood like Dexter or from a white trash home. However the trauma in his childhood was his parents fighting constantly who before that describe Jeffery has a happy go lucky kid.

here is my source if you want to see for yourself http://www.nc-cm.org/article213.htm

"Wars are never won, regardless of who might be the victor. The very act of war is itself a horrible defeat." Guardian of the Universe "Battleground: Oa!" Green Lantern, 1st Silver Age series, #127, Denny O'Neil)
Old 07-03-2013, 03:47 AM   #833
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

If you like Hannibal then Idris Elba's dark serial killer chasing cop show Luther is worth checking out. Season 3 just started.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #834
hellblazer103
Nasty Piece of Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
If you like Hannibal then Idris Elba's dark serial killer chasing cop show Luther is worth checking out. Season 3 just started.
that's on netflix isn't it ? i was considering checking it out before.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #835
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellblazer103 View Post
that's on netflix isn't it ? i was considering checking it out before.
Yep the first two seasons are on netflix. Elba won a golden globe for Luther.

Last nights episode had the most extreme way to remove finger prints since Joe Doe in Se7en.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #836
Maximus One
Oddball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox1 View Post
This.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #837
Paradox1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
I saw the first episode in the series today and Elba was fantastic in his role, I will for sure start to watch hopefully I can catch up to the new season before it ends.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #838
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

Gillian Anderson

Old 07-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #839
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

I had a dream about Hopkins-Lecter last night. Rather terrifying. Great as Mikkelsen is, I don't think he can match the creepiness.

By 2016, Batman will have appeared in three big-screen films since 2008. By 2016, Iron Man will have appeared in six films in the same amount of time. Find new s*** to diagnose the current state of cinema with.

Sincerely,
Sawyer

Old 07-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #840
Matt
We Are Hunter Rider!
SHH! Global Moderator

I think the brilliance of Hopkins was that he wasn't as overtly creepy as Mikkelsen. Almost everything Mikkelsen says, he almost says while winking at the camera. Hopkins, on the other hand....when Clarice first meets him, he comes off as a perfect gentleman. He shouldn't be behind the glass. But then he starts breaking her down mentally, getting in her head, telling her that he ate a census taker, etc. You see the monster behind this otherwise charming and sophisticated man and it is chilling.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #841
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I think the brilliance of Hopkins was that he wasn't as overtly creepy as Mikkelsen. Almost everything Mikkelsen says, he almost says while winking at the camera. Hopkins, on the other hand....when Clarice first meets him, he comes off as a perfect gentleman. He shouldn't be behind the glass. But then he starts breaking her down mentally, getting in her head, telling her that he ate a census taker, etc. You see the monster behind this otherwise charming and sophisticated man and it is chilling.
lol wut?

Sincerely,
Sawyer

Old 07-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #842
Matt
We Are Hunter Rider!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
lol wut?
Excuse me, in Silence of the Lambs he wasn't as overtly creepy as Mikkelsen. He had an off switch which is what made Lecter so fascinating, IMO.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #843
Eddie Dean
I Am Not Nice

Hopkins and Mads are the same level of creepy. It's just the Dracula voice that makes Mads seem creepier.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:32 PM   #844
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

I don't know. I mean, I sort of get what you're saying, but as far as I'm concerned, his Lecter is the definition of "overtly creepy".

Mads hasn't whipped anything out yet that I've been particularly shaken by.

Sincerely,
Sawyer

Old 07-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #845
Matt
We Are Hunter Rider!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I don't know. I mean, I sort of get what you're saying, but as far as I'm concerned, his Lecter is the definition of "overtly creepy".

Mads hasn't whipped anything out yet that I've been particularly shaken by.
I don't mean creepy in the sense that it scares me. I mean creepy in the sense that it is just a wink at the camera and saying "Ahh! Ahh! Get it!?! It's a double entendre, I am a serial killer!" Hopkins on the other hand, when he was being normal....he was a perfectly charming and legit gentleman. Then he was talking about eating livers. That is what made it scary. That this charming, sophisticated man could also be the guy who cuts off a prison guards face and puts it on his own.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #846
Schlosser85
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Personally I think Hopkins was more scenery-chewing than Mikkelsen.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #847
Eddie Dean
I Am Not Nice

Yeah, I think what Matt is talking about has more to do with the writing and overall direction of the show, than Mads' performance.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #848
flickchick85
Loose Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
Personally I think Hopkins was more scenery-chewing than Mikkelsen.
Agreed. Much more so, imo.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
Old 07-08-2013, 12:01 AM   #849
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

As weird as it is, I prefer Hopkins subdued performance in Hannibal best out of his 3 films.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:59 PM   #850
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

edit

Sincerely,
Sawyer

Closed Thread