The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #951
darkslayer101
Side-Kick

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - Par

so any new news from BO forums?

Old 06-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #952
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - Par

This could be the movie that proves that the MCU is not solely successful due to IM.
I keep reading those accusations on these boards.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:56 PM   #953
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04nbod View Post
This only ever gets pulled out for actors. How many of us do the same job every day for years non-stop?
Quoted for truth

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 06-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #954
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by OstrichsRevenge View Post
I feel bad for these guys sometimes. I'm sure they all want to do different projects and these movies take up quite a bit of time and commitment. For us, we'd love nothing better than to see these actors play the roles until they're shipped off to retirement homes, but they have to stop sometime.

Still, RDJ being signed on for Avengers 2 and 3, Hemsworth technically signing on for 6 movies and Hiddleston signing on for 5 is pretty damn awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Braddock View Post
In fairness, they do get paid a helluva lot more than the average joe [achieving a certain level of wealth and comfort that most people will never come close to having], so it's hard to feel that sorry for them. Maybe that's just me.
Yeah, in no way will I ever feel sorry for one of these guys once they've made it. Most people don't have the flexibility in their careers that they can stop doing some hard, unpleasant not amazingly paid job just because they are artistically ambitious!

That said I'm more than grateful when someone takes the roles that are important to me seriously, does all the required preparation and acts as a good ambassador for the role. And the kind of roles that can be played over 3 or so decades are not that common anyway even if the actors did want it. You need a project that is franchisable into perpetuity with no required ending, that can stay popular and succesful over such a long time, plus the original role will need to be for a young character (too old, then the actor probably won't be in the health to continue 3 decades later) but capable of also working equally well with an old actor. I've said before that I'm fine with recasts when Marvel feels the need and that is an important rule relaxation for the long term prospects of the MCU but certain characters actors in certain roles can carry on for a long time IMO.

Last edited by Iceman; 06-24-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:18 AM   #955
Hammer!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Marvel View Post
This could be the movie that proves that the MCU is not solely successful due to IM.
Agreed. I sure wish I knew why all DC Zombies think Downey is the only reason for MCU's success. And why they all didn't like Guy Pierce as the Mandarin, even though they've almost assuredly never read a Mandarin story. Or why they played down the Avengers for being too formulaic and nothing but a "Michael Bay explosion" flick when MOS shared even more Bay/Emmerich qualities.

There's gotta be a reason, but I guess we'll just never know on all accounts.

Last edited by Hammer!; 06-26-2013 at 01:36 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:24 AM   #956
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Yeah MOS was FAR closer to a Michael Bay film than TA, but since it's a DC film it's been praised for having heavy action unlike TA.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 06-26-2013, 01:48 AM   #957
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

I feel sad. When i'm on the DC side of the boards I end up having to defend Marvel's honor and when i'm on the Marvel side of the board I feel i have to defend DC honor. I give up. I love Marvel and DC stuff. Why can't fans just appreciate each movie on it individual merits instead of comparing, contrasting, and attack the other sides stuff. This is making me so tired.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 06-26-2013 at 01:52 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:40 AM   #958
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

All the Marvel vs DC bashing stuff is silly. I usually just ignore it.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:42 AM   #959
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

I enjoyed MOS as well as the entire Dark Knight trilogy, so I don't have anything against anyone I was just noticing some hypocrisy.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 06-26-2013, 03:52 AM   #960
Vartha
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Marvel View Post
I hope so! I mean the amount of NEW Thor fans after Avengers isn't STAGGERING but I hope it's enough world wide to show he can be as cool!
There has YET to be a decent Film on Thor in comics OR myth showing all the realms and the CLOSEST to ME is LotR and the horse riders lol

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Old 06-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #961
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer! View Post
Agreed. I sure wish I knew why all DC Zombies think Downey is the only reason for MCU's success. And why they all didn't like Guy Pierce as the Mandarin, even though they've almost assuredly never read a Mandarin story. Or why they played down the Avengers for being too formulaic and nothing but a "Michael Bay explosion" flick when MOS shared even more Bay/Emmerich qualities.

There's gotta be a reason, but I guess we'll just never know on all accounts.
I'm not a "DC Zombie" at all; in fact, I lean far more heavily towards Marvelphile than DCphile, but I still respect both. It's just in the case of the "theory" that the weight of Marvel Studios rests on Iron Man's shoulders, it's a completely proven fact unto the present moment. I keep *hoping* that Thor and Cap and the rest will start generating blockbuster numbers, but so far, the fanbases have never materialized. If you look at the genre's Top 20 over on boxofficemojo, Thor is hanging on to the bottom spot by fingernails, and Cap is over $35 million outside of that, with both Hulk movies crapping out Fantastic Four and Green Lantern numbers.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 06-26-2013, 08:09 AM   #962
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

They both out-performed X-Men:FC, which Fox thought was a great success.

I think you're being a little cynical. Thor is more popular than ever after Avengers (thanks, Tumblr/Loki!) and Cap's numbers were nothing to sneeze at. Let's hold off on the "Marvel is a one-trick pony" doomsday theories until we get some actual proof one way or the other.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #963
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
I'm not a "DC Zombie" at all; in fact, I lean far more heavily towards Marvelphile than DCphile, but I still respect both. It's just in the case of the "theory" that the weight of Marvel Studios rests on Iron Man's shoulders, it's a completely proven fact unto the present moment. I keep *hoping* that Thor and Cap and the rest will start generating blockbuster numbers, but so far, the fanbases have never materialized. If you look at the genre's Top 20 over on boxofficemojo, Thor is hanging on to the bottom spot by fingernails, and Cap is over $35 million outside of that, with both Hulk movies crapping out Fantastic Four and Green Lantern numbers.
I think the Avengers' success raised there profiles. The only problem Marvel has now is advertising and promoting them and getting the GA that came to see the Avengers to come and see Thor also. I think they can do it. It worked with Ironman 3 (even though it was a crappy movie ) I can work with Thor as well. Plus Thor just has so much potential.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 06-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #964
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

As long as DC or Marvels movies are good and make enough money to get sequels then I'm happy.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:41 AM   #965
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Iron Man was not a billion dollar franchise until after the Avengers. The Hulk is just as popular as IM after the Avengers despite the BO of his solo movie. The weight of MS does not rest solely on IM's shoulders......

Old 06-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #966
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
I can't agree that it's a proven fact. It becomes proven if the other guys can't generate enough income with their next films, but until then it's an unknown. In order for me to agree you'd have to say that the proven fact is that Iron Man/RDJ has carried it this far.

Thor is the 6:th highest grossing Superhero origin story, and he was a very unknown character in the big picture (3 of the top 5 are also reboots (I don't count Spider-Man as a reboot), so not original origins). Cap is 8:th. That very clear difference to the overall top 20 of superhero movies really shows that you can't draw huge conclusions until you've seen how Thor's and Cap's second movies fare. The real money generally lie in established franchises, not in the origins.

The Dark World and The Winter Soldier will be true tests though. They've gotten all the exposure you could ever want from their previous movies and The Avengers. If they don't deliver better now they probably never will.

Personally I just want them to be profitable enough to warrant sequels. After that the box office is fairly irrelevant to me.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #967
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

I just find it pretty ridiculous that some people predict Thor 2 to get below $500 M, because they believe the Avengers effect will only help IM. IM may be the most popular franchise but that doesn't mean the other characters are irrelevant.

But we will see this coming November. Then again these are the same people who predicted the Avengers would get no more than $700 M.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #968
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
I can't agree that it's a proven fact. It becomes proven if the other guys can't generate enough income with their next films, but until then it's an unknown. In order for me to agree you'd have to say that the proven fact is that Iron Man/RDJ has carried it this far.

Thor is the 6:th highest grossing Superhero origin story, and he was a very unknown character in the big picture (3 of the top 5 are also reboots (I don't count Spider-Man as a reboot), so not original origins). Cap is 8:th. That very clear difference to the overall top 20 of superhero movies really shows that you can't draw huge conclusions until you've seen how Thor's and Cap's second movies fare. The real money generally lie in established franchises, not in the origins.

The Dark World and The Winter Soldier will be true tests though. They've gotten all the exposure you could ever want from their previous movies and The Avengers. If they don't deliver better now they probably never will.

Personally I just want them to be profitable enough to warrant sequels. After that the box office is fairly irrelevant to me.
This post is chock full of truth.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #969
OstrichsRevenge
Side-Kick

Quote:
A lot has to do with the actors who play these characters. Iron Man is huge, not because it's Iron Man, but because RDJ plays Tony Stark as if he is Tony Stark. Women, especially, love that. I think Hemsworth and especially Hiddleston have that power to bring fans to the movies. The first Thor wasn't as hugely successful as IM or even the Dark Knight movies, but give it time. The sequels of IM and Dark Knight did better than their predecessors and I think TDW will do that as well. Whether it will be on the same level as Batman and Iron Man, who knows, but I think it'll be close.

Keep in mind, a lot of people who go to these movies aren't necessarily fans of the comic books, but fans of the actors. The stars of Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston are only rising and as such, so will the movie.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #970
Hammer!
Side-Kick

Thor 2 will at least make as much as MOS at the BO. I'm not worried.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #971
MahvelBaby!
Side-Kick

My low for TDW is around 700m my High 900m I wouldn't be surprised if it hit 1b though.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #972
darkslayer101
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahvelBaby! View Post
My low for TDW is around 700m my High 900m I wouldn't be surprised if it hit 1b though.
the easy way to get 1b is to get international attention, the way TA and IM3 did.
Thor may have the same level, maybe more recognition than MoS due to TA, but hitting than 1b is mostly based on international market.

btw any new info regarding the trailer next week?

Old 06-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #973
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkslayer101 View Post
btw any new info regarding the trailer next week?
Not that I've heard, but if it is coming out next week it should get rated in the next couple of days:
http://www.albertafilmratings.ca/rec...strailers.aspx

Defend night-flight sites...
Trap clamped, snared for pyres...

Witchtripper...
Witchtripper...
Old 06-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #974
darkslayer101
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moridin View Post
Not that I've heard, but if it is coming out next week it should get rated in the next couple of days:
http://www.albertafilmratings.ca/rec...strailers.aspx
sometimes certain trailer don't get rated in that website, until later...

Old 06-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #975
itchyscratch
Side-Kick

Oooh! A couple of pics of TH in costume with his Loki figurine.

http://www.hottoys.com.hk/news.php?newsID=77

Closed Thread