The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #976
OstrichsRevenge
Side-Kick

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - Par

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchyscratch View Post
Oooh! A couple of pics of TH in costume with his Loki figurine.

http://www.hottoys.com.hk/news.php?newsID=77
The puff of hair on the top/front of his head reminds me of someone, but I can't quite put my finger on it...

Oh wait, now I know:

Old 06-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #977
Hammer!
Side-Kick

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - Par

Love how under the radar this film is right now. With Cap 2 filming on streets in Cleveland, we've been getting dozens of set pics. But with Thor, many scenes were shot on fields in Iceland and in front of green screens. It'll be fresh going into this movie; gonna give it my all to avoid spoilers this time around.

Can anyone recommend some of Malekith's more famous arcs/runs from the comics?

Old 06-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #978
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by OstrichsRevenge View Post
A lot has to do with the actors who play these characters. Iron Man is huge, not because it's Iron Man, but because RDJ plays Tony Stark as if he is Tony Stark. Women, especially, love that. I think Hemsworth and especially Hiddleston have that power to bring fans to the movies. The first Thor wasn't as hugely successful as IM or even the Dark Knight movies, but give it time. The sequels of IM and Dark Knight did better than their predecessors and I think TDW will do that as well. Whether it will be on the same level as Batman and Iron Man, who knows, but I think it'll be close.

Keep in mind, a lot of people who go to these movies aren't necessarily fans of the comic books, but fans of the actors. The stars of Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston are only rising and as such, so will the movie.
Where on earth are you seeing these stars "rising?" Red Dawn and Cabin in the Woods weren't even close to box office successes for Hems; and a decent take for SWATH can be easily ascribed to the tween brigades following K-Stew instead of Hemsworth. Evans has been an outright disaster at the box office post-CATFA and TA1 (Puncture, What's Your Number?, The Iceman). Hiddie similarly bombed spectacularly in his only real lead role, The Deep Blue Sea, in 2012.

Look, I want the non-IM Marvel films to succeed as much as you guys do. Probably *more* than a lot of you guys do, and that's no lie. But the studio's strategy of staying away from marquee names for their leads is not helping at all. None of the solo movies helped the Chrises or Hiddleston gain any kind of fanbase outside of The Avengers. And "The Avengers Bounce" just remains a cherished myth unless and until TDW and CATWS can prove it to be real.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 06-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #979
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moridin View Post
Not that I've heard, but if it is coming out next week it should get rated in the next couple of days:
http://www.albertafilmratings.ca/rec...strailers.aspx
Wait ..... when was it reported that there might be one next week?

Old 06-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #980
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

lol First Clark and his video with HIS now Tom with HIS lol

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Old 06-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #981
OstrichsRevenge
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Where on earth are you seeing these stars "rising?" Red Dawn and Cabin in the Woods weren't even close to box office successes for Hems; and a decent take for SWATH can be easily ascribed to the tween brigades following K-Stew instead of Hemsworth. Evans has been an outright disaster at the box office post-CATFA and TA1 (Puncture, What's Your Number?, The Iceman). Hiddie similarly bombed spectacularly in his only real lead role, The Deep Blue Sea, in 2012.

Look, I want the non-IM Marvel films to succeed as much as you guys do. Probably *more* than a lot of you guys do, and that's no lie. But the studio's strategy of staying away from marquee names for their leads is not helping at all. None of the solo movies helped the Chrises or Hiddleston gain any kind of fanbase outside of The Avengers. And "The Avengers Bounce" just remains a cherished myth unless and until TDW and CATWS can prove it to be real.
Ugh. That did it for me. You care more about star power than a good movie. The casting for Thor and Loki were done perfectly, IMO. They claimed the roles and they did it well. It's a total and complete sell out to have big names attached to a movie and think it will do well (uh, remember such awe-worthy flicks like Valentine's Day and New Year's Eve which had an all star cast and was painful to watch?). Remember that Hemsworth and Hiddleston started "late" in their careers when it comes to Hollywood. They'll only get bigger.

I'm curious who you think would have done better in these roles.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #982
LadyGeek
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm a bit perplexed by your perspective as well. I'm not familiar with Chris Evans's films, but Chris and Tom are doing very well, lining up one project after another (a string of film projects for Chris; films and a play for Tom). They are both stars, and deservedly so. They are very talented and I would think have sterling careers ahead.

Just my two cents!

Old 06-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #983
darkslayer101
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Wait ..... when was it reported that there might be one next week?
last week someone from BO forums said a new trailer will be shown with Lone Ranger, which comes out next friday....

Old 06-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #984
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

There are really not a ton of names that will make people flock to a theater, regardless of the material. Pre-IM1, RDJ was definitely not one of them himself. If the movie looks good, people will see it.

And you can't really compare small drama movies like Deep Blue Sea to big blockbusters like this. Might as well say RDJ isn't a draw because he was in The Soloist.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:33 PM   #985
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Coul View Post
There are really not a ton of names that will make people flock to a theater, regardless of the material. Pre-IM1, RDJ was definitely not one of them himself. If the movie looks good, people will see it.

And you can't really compare small drama movies like Deep Blue Sea to big blockbusters like this. Might as well say RDJ isn't a draw because he was in The Soloist.
Yeah, I personally don't think I've ever seen a movie just because a particular actor or actress was in it. I'm more concerned about if I think the movie itself looks good or has an interesting plot. Attaching a certain actor doesn't make me instantly need to see a movie.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
Old 06-26-2013, 09:43 PM   #986
OstrichsRevenge
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkilban2 View Post
Yeah, I personally don't think I've ever seen a movie just because a particular actor or actress was in it. I'm more concerned about if I think the movie itself looks good or has an interesting plot. Attaching a certain actor doesn't make me instantly need to see a movie.
That is true. It depends on the person I suppose. I think women (girls?) are more likely to see a movie because a certain actor is in it. I've heard friends say they would see Captain America or Thor because the lead actors are good-looking.

That being said, I can also appreciate that good actors can bring a fanbase. Not in the way that they need to be huge stars, just good actors. Kristen Stewart, for example, is a "big" star, but she's got the acting chops of a tree trunk.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:59 PM   #987
The_Mighty_Thor
Stay thy hand troll!

Quote:

Lots of stars make bad choices about what films to do. I wouldn't go see my favourite actor or actress in a movie that didn't appeal to me. Lots of stars have a number of flops and/or mediocre films after a big hit but the studios and general public continue to think of them as A listers. Sometimes they have another big hit down the road and sometimes they don't but star power alone is rarely enough to get people to buy tickets.

Quote:
Personally I would have preferred a different Cap but mostly because I hate when the same actor plays multiple comic character roles. There were plenty of possible choices for cap that could have been just as good or better but they went with Johnny Storm. Even though he was good in the role I still don't like the choice. What marquee name could have possibly played Thor though? Even most of the fan casting was for lesser known actors and any of the A list choices that occasionally got mentioned were all ridiculous whether it was for age or looks or size or somebody that could never do the part justice. Thor was always going to be played by a lesser known actor. It was the only real choice. Both their solo movies did pretty damn well considering and the success of them is in part what lead to the making of and the success of the Avengers.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #988
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Ugh. That did it for me. You care more about star power than a good movie. The casting for Thor and Loki were done perfectly, IMO. They claimed the roles and they did it well. It's a total and complete sell out to have big names attached to a movie and think it will do well (uh, remember such awe-worthy flicks like Valentine's Day and New Year's Eve which had an all star cast and was painful to watch?). Remember that Hemsworth and Hiddleston started "late" in their careers when it comes to Hollywood. They'll only get bigger.

Where did I say that any of these guys did poorly in their roles? Or that any of the movies were bad? I didn't. All I'm talking about is bottom line. Money. These guys are not marquee players, and it's fictitious to assume that Avengers has boosted their careers --- the numbers on their films outside of Avengers and the solo films is proof that they're not solid leads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Coul View Post

The Soloist made $38 mil worldwide for a "small drama movie." That's about $37 million more than Deep Blue Sea made. You can bet that the only reason it made that much is because people actually recognized Jamie Foxx and RDJ's name, and it made them curious enough to check it out, and WOM took over from there. Outside of Tumblr, mainstream audiences still have no clue who Tom Hiddleston is, and probably aren't overly familiar with the names of Chris Hemsworth or Chris Evans.

Look, I'm not going to drag this out anymore --- you guys want to be overly optimistic, go for it....I'm proud of ya. I don't wish Marvel ill at all --- quite the opposite. I'm just being realistic, not cynical. It's better to hope for the best and prepare for the worst, than to *prepare* for the best and get blindsided by the worst.

I'd rather be a pessimist and be pleasantly surprised to find out my fears and worries about the future are wrong, than be an optimist and find out that, *at best,* the future will only live up to my expectations.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 06-26-2013, 11:11 PM   #989
SoNicRaDiATioN
Side-Kick

Star power is vastly overrated in todays cinema imo. Sure it can make a difference, but not enough to lose sleep over. It's genres and properties that drive box office more then anything. Jennifer Lawrence in the Hunger Games is big, Jennifer Lawrence in Silver Linings is something else. The examples are endless. Bale in Batman vs. The Fighter, Downey in Iron Man vs. The Soloist, Pattinson in Twilight vs. Water for Elephants, etc. The days of actors gauranteeing a big opening are done, unless they are in roles that resonate in the pop culture sphere, but again, films in this arena usually trump the actor anyway. Movie Stars used to be bigger then life because there was a mystery about them. When people watched them on the big screen there was a much greater sense of discovery. Today everything is overexposed to the point that there's no mystery left. We see these actors everywhere in media and on television, rambling endlessly about their lives on the various talk & entertainment rag shows.

Marvel and their characters are the bigger brand then any actor is. IM1 & 2 were big hits with Downey, but It wasn't until the Avengers that the Iron Man brand became a $1.2 billion dollar grosser. That had more to do with the spectacle of bringing Marvel heroes together in a way never seen before then Downey's brand of charm....People easily forget that he was still in the process of getting his career back on track when he got the Stark gig. He made the role his own and people love him in it, but let's not pretend he doesn't owe as much to the role as it does to him. I think he's a great actor, but the universe is in a position to thrive without him.

DoFP has more "star power" then the Avengers did, but it will probably only make half the box office. There is star power for you. These characters have captured imaginations with the vision of the studio and the execution of that vision (which the actors are a part of). I personally don't think that losing an actor, or not hiring bigger name actors will derail the momentum. Not having a vision going forward will hurt more then anything.

Last edited by SoNicRaDiATioN; 06-26-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:11 AM   #990
Bert
Side-Kick

For what it's worth I've been enjoying Avengers actors in other roles. Recently saw Midnight in Paris in which Tom Hiddleston has a small role, and it's a fantastic little movie. mark Ruffalo is spectacular in the Kids are Alright. Great movie!

Old 06-27-2013, 07:19 AM   #991
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGeek View Post
I'm a bit perplexed by your perspective as well. I'm not familiar with Chris Evans's films, but Chris and Tom are doing very well, lining up one project after another (a string of film projects for Chris; films and a play for Tom). They are both stars, and deservedly so. They are very talented and I would think have sterling careers ahead.

Just my two cents!
I see what he is saying, and somewhat agree. We have to put our bias aside, yes, Chris Hemsworth is shaping up to be a big star, but that's it. Tom does his thing, they are both doing well, but I wouldn't consider him much of a star either, hell, I wouldn't quite elevate either one of them to RDJ status either, and he HARDLY reaches what I would call a "star", people on the tier of say..Tom Cruise, SLJ, Jennifer Lawrence, Leonardo DiCaprio, Johnny Depp, Robert Deniro, people like that. Doing multiple films a year doesn't make you a star. If you were to ask a random bunch of strangers who Tom Hiddleston was, more than half of them wouldn't know, more than likely. Chris Hemsworth, most of them would know, as he is turning into a pretty big name. The MCU has sort of kicked started their careers, but I wouldn't exactly call them stars...with that being said, I think it has no effect on how good the movie does. Whether you are a star, or never have been in a movie before, as long as the casting is good, it's fine by me

Old 06-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #992
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

The scene where Thor collapses on the beach is the best
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 06-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #993
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Man about a week for the lone ranger and hopefully a 2nd Thor trailer! I can't WAIT!!

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Old 06-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #994
BoredGuy
Killing Time

Quote:
Red Dawn and Cabin were both filmed before Thor, with one getting a limited, very delayed release, and the other being a horror movie which was also delayed. Snow White did well, and yes, a lot of the money was due to KStew, but the critics actually liked the film because of Hemsworth and Theron, hence why there's still talk of a spin off. Now he's got Rush coming up from Ron Howard. Chris Evans has been in mostly indie fare since Avengers, with puncture before Avengers and Iceman getting limited release. Hiddleston too, has been in limited run and lower budget films. Just because these movies failed to make $100 million doesn't mean they aren't stars.

Also, I still find it hilarious when people argue about RDJ's "star power" being the reason IM and then, therefore, Avengers did so well. I've said it before and I'll say it again. NOBODY GAVE A S**T ABOUT RDJ FOR A DECADE BEFORE IRON MAN. Yes, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Scanner Darkly had their little cult followings and showed that he was still a hell of an actor, but studios were hardly knocking down his door. Iron Man made Downey, not the other way around.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:29 AM   #995
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

I'd say IM was beneficial to both parties. Having someone embody the role so well helped Marvel, while Marvel giving RDJ a high-profile chance at redemption helped him a lot.

That being said, people are nuts if they don't think Hemsworth is a star now. That's just flat-out denial.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #996
BoredGuy
Killing Time

Oh I agree
But it was RDJ's performance, not his name, that sold IM to the masses
Same as Hemsworth and Hiddleston's performances sold Thor and got it more money than Nolan's first Bat-film

Old 06-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #997
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Yep, totally agree. RDJ didn't have enough star power to attract people with just his name (at the time).

Old 06-27-2013, 02:55 PM   #998
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
Yep, totally agree. RDJ didn't have enough star power to attract people with just his name (at the time).
sorry but I have to call BS here.
RDJ for a certain generation of movie goers was always an attraction. He had a very strong fanbase even before IM and there were a lot of people that watched movies like Good Night and Good Luck or Zodiac just because he was in it. I even knew people that watched Ally McBeal religously just because RDJ had a role for a season or two. In fact I remember back in 2008 a lot of my friends had zero interest in IM but watched the movie nevertheless just because of Downey

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 06-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #999
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
I'd say IM was beneficial to both parties. Having someone embody the role so well helped Marvel, while Marvel giving RDJ a high-profile chance at redemption helped him a lot.

That being said, people are nuts if they don't think Hemsworth is a star now. That's just flat-out denial.
He is a star, but not a huge star, not on the samae tier as house hold actor names...house hold names, like i mentioned previously, those are superstars to me..hemsworth is almost there, Hiddleston is not...I hardly consider RDJ one at this point still

Old 06-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #1000
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
He is a star, but not a huge star, not on the samae tier as house hold actor names...house hold names, like i mentioned previously, those are superstars to me..hemsworth is almost there, Hiddleston is not...I hardly consider RDJ one at this point still
Tony Stark is now a household name. And so is the man that helped make it so.

Closed Thread