The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 04:34 AM   #126
TDK010
Join me in the sun

Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - - - Part 12

The people in charge of approving that as a poster just need a good slap across the face or some Jonathan Crane kangeroo court justice! Do they even brainstorm ideas and concepts for the poster? Or is it the typical "do-it-the-night-before-just-like-uni-coursework" routine? It's feels like "Oh crap we need a poster sharpish. Can you make one in 30 mins?" They could do a lot worse and obviously have, than hire one of the great photoshoppers on these forums. I'm not even joking. I've been blown away by some of the stuff I've seen on here. As soon as this new poster loaded in my web browser, I just rolled my eyes.

^ RIP Pete Postlethwaite

Last edited by TDK010; 05-03-2013 at 04:44 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:44 AM   #127
Kryptonian Warrior
We are Hunter Rider

I don't care what anyone says, I like the poster.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251
Old 05-03-2013, 04:57 AM   #128
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK010 View Post
The people in charge of approving that as a poster just need a good slap across the face or some Jonathan Crane kangeroo court justice! Do they even brainstorm ideas and concepts for the poster? Or is it the typical "do-it-the-night-before-just-like-uni-coursework" routine? It's feels like "Oh crap we need a poster sharpish. Can you make one in 30 mins?" They could do a lot worse and obviously have, than hire one of the great photoshoppers on these forums. I'm not even joking. I've been blown away by some of the stuff I've seen on here. As soon as this new poster loaded in my web browser, I just rolled my eyes.

^ RIP Pete Postlethwaite
You are disappoint??? Disappointed maybe??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonian Warrior View Post
I don't care what anyone says, I like the poster.
yeah same here...I really don't give a **** if it's two screencaps from the trailer superimposed onto one another....just go watch the damn movie over and over so it makes a billion bucks!

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 05-03-2013, 05:24 AM   #129
TDK010
Join me in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
yeah same here...I really don't give a **** if it's two screencaps from the trailer superimposed onto one another....just go watch the damn movie over and over so it makes a billion bucks!
British pounds in this case but...yes sir!

Old 05-03-2013, 05:41 AM   #130
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK010 View Post
British pounds in this case but...yes sir!
Right on then!

Old 05-03-2013, 05:44 AM   #131
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
It's sad to me because Warner Bros. isn't limited by only being able to draw from trailers. They have the man himself, they have the costume, they have multimillion dollar equipment, and they do something that many people here could have done in about an hour.
Sad thing is, you could do all the screen grabs you want and post it on whatever random background you need...and chances are you'd still get plenty of better posters than the one we got.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Old 05-03-2013, 06:03 AM   #132
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

They should've commission Drew Struzan to produce a MOS poster; chances are it wouldve blown away 99.9% of the stuff they have planned.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:09 AM   #133
elgaz
Side-Kick

I don't think it's a bad poster as such, but I do see the points made above. With the hundreds (if not thousands) of photos they must have took of Cavill for promotional purposes, surely they could have come up with something better than a still from the film superimposed on a blurred city backdrop?

I can only surmise that someone at Warner is guauging reactions on message boards and forums, and since the reaction to Cavill's flying shot in the trailer (where that still is from) is pretty good, they maybe thought they would capitalise on it.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:09 AM   #134
Simo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Braddock View Post
They should've commission Drew Struzan to produce a MOS poster; chances are it wouldve blown away 99.9% of the stuff they have planned.
Struzan has been retired for over 5 years due to posters just like this one being produced. Sadly the day he did retire was the end of an era not only for Struzan posters but movie posters in general.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:10 AM   #135
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

I'm still waiting for the MOS equivalent of THIS:

Sure it's fan art, but still.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #136
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

How many damn times are people gonna blow their load over Struzan??? I'm willing to bet about 98.99999% that we won't get anything like his work. His time people come on back down to reality and realize this is what we got. You may not want to deal with it but you kinda have to becuase no ammount of *****ing and whining and complaining is gonna get you different posters. But yet people keep say..."struzan shoukd do this" and "struzan should do that...." well guess what??? He didn't and he's not....sorry

Old 05-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #137
Ramsay Snow
Winter's Saviour

I like the poster but it feels a bit yucky.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #138
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
How many damn times are people gonna blow their load over Struzan??? I'm willing to bet about 98.99999% that we won't get anything like his work. His time people come on back down to reality and realize this is what we got. You may not want to deal with it but you kinda have to becuase no ammount of *****ing and whining and complaining is gonna get you different posters. But yet people keep say..."struzan shoukd do this" and "struzan should do that...." well guess what??? He didn't and he's not....sorry
I think maybe you need to dunk your head in a bowl of ice water then come back.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Old 05-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #139
Simo
Side-Kick

Quote:
As many times as they goddamn want to. Struzan posters are iconic, spectacular and beautiful....if Struzan was still doing work and WB commissioned him to do a poster it could of been epic and joined the pedigree such as these....minus the Dark Tower one of course...

Instead Struzan was forced to retire due to nitwits in marketing who figured it'd be much better to just give the poster to any janitor with Photoshop little knowhow and produce something like this..

Of course we can't change the fact we're stuck with this red herring but it doesn't mean we can't dream of what could of been and this is the discussion thread for such things am I correct?

Old 05-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #140
JimJimBinks
A friend

It took me this long to notice that the "MAN OF STEEL" text is off center, now it's driving me crazy.
Edit: Okay, so I guess it's not off center but the placement of the text in relation to the is kinda weird

" -Batman (Superman/Batman #3)

Last edited by JimJimBinks; 05-03-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #141
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ Yeah! Struzan forever! Though Mark Raats isn't retired and would be an awesome consolation prize if Drew refused to paint

I'm also dying to see Cavill as painted by Ross.

Ross' renditions of Carter and Reeves are epic If WB can commision him for Welling, why not Cavill?
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

PS. Love Struzan's painting of Action Comics #1.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #142
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Absolutely... Gorgeous. Hook and Masters are my childhood favorites. Man time flies.

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Old 05-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #143
WoodyROM
Side-Kick

So, out of curiosity, what would you guys want the poster to look like? What would be the perfect MOS poster?

Old 05-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #144
SuperWig
Side-Kick

I like the poster. at least he's not standing on a box with 1 arm extended with fake blue eyes

Old 05-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #145
Ramsay Snow
Winter's Saviour

A style similar to the teaser poster - for me.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #146
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo View Post
Instead Struzan was forced to retire due to nitwits in marketing who figured it'd be much better to just give the poster to any janitor with Photoshop little knowhow and produce something like this..
Kudos to the janitor then. I like the poster.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #147
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyROM View Post
So, out of curiosity, what would you guys want the poster to look like? What would be the perfect MOS poster?

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Old 05-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #148
Bran-El
Side-Kick

I don't see how those images represent MOS well at all. I think the poster is fine as is. We may see another poster with more characters soon. But I don't really like the idea of seeing an angry heat vision Superman ripping things up and fighting monsters. That would be false advertizing and a departure from the Nolan real world approach IMO.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #149
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

One of the things is, there is a lot of fans and so called amateurs today that are just as good as so called professionals. Relatively easy to use software and the dedication of these people to learn means we are seeing a lot more quality stuff from the fandom. Which is why you see quotes like ´´this looks fan made!!`` so often, because the reality is everyone (amateurs and pros alike) pretty much use the same software these days. That's why people like Struzan are missed by so many. There is so little quality and care put into posters these days. And no identity either, everything is just so generic.

And yes, the MOS poster does look like a 15 minute janitor job, lol. A day later and it's still disappointing to see how little care went into it. The most job went into photoshopping his chest. Even Pacific Rim has much better posters. Oh well, it is what it is. *shrugs* I can only hope that the character posters and banners are much better.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #150
Kane52630
ANIMUS VOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran-El View Post
That would be false advertizing and a departure from the Nolan real world approach IMO.
Good thing Nolan didn't direct it huh? This is all Snyder, man. It's a Snyder film from start to finish.

Closed Thread