Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #276
Daywalker89
In Zion I await my spirit

Th Confused Re: Official Iron Man 3 rate/review thread. - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JKR- View Post
I'm still kinda baffled how The Avengers could get such a high score, and this doesn't. I liked Joss Whedon's movie, but come on, it doesn't really attempt to do something too interesting. It's fun, but it also plays very safe and is quite generic (Whedon sure needs to improve as a director, I think that Favreau could have pulled of something more "dynamic" with the very same script), if it weren't for the fact that it's the first comic book cross-over.
What the ? seriously do u think this film was better than Avengers , as we know this film took some major risks but personally the majors out done the little's they didn't pay off that twist turned the movie on its head and sucked the life out of it. I can kinda understand them for doing that but to build up a character like that with so much potential and then say " april fools" just made me . The avengers had a team up of popular comic book hero's interacting with each other for the first time on the big screen also there were very intersting dynamics between the characters aswell.However i do agree about the generic plot but i guess you cant have a risky/bold script for a 1st installment. Speaking of which , why didn't Favareau direct this one am i missing something.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:31 PM   #277
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Default Re: Official Iron Man 3 rate/review thread. - Part 1

Oh yeah! More concern trolling. The movie will probably end up in the low to mid 80s. They don't even have Roepers review up yet, and I'm sure there will be plenty more positive reviews. It says alot that the movie was certified fresh, the day the embargo was lifted.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #278
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Well, to put it in context many good films start really strong with positive reviews then tend to get hit harder during the second wave of viewings, mostly due to the second wave of reviewers casting a more critical eye over all the initial praise. Few films actually get equal praise amongst all critics viewings.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:43 PM   #279
3 Dev Adam
I AM THE GREEN VENOM!

I've been trying to fool myself, I'm trying to convince me that the movie isn't as bad, but it's no use: IM3 is a MAJOR, DISASTROUS, DISAPPOINTING anticlimax.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:21 AM   #280
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

The RT score dropped, so what? Most of the big name critics are loving it or at least giving it a thumbs up, with more reviews coming in. The RT score is being lowered by people like Victoria Alexander--one of the 14 RT critics to like Alex Cross. Or critics that were never going to like this style of movie.

By the way, when did 83% become a bad percentage?

Prof. X sittin' on Adamantium wheelchair rims, reading your stupid minds & laughing at your hair.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:47 AM   #281
Incredible Hans
Side-Kick

Seriously, for me IM2 is a better movie than IM3.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:02 AM   #282
Andreth
Side-Kick

IM1 is still my favorite.

I saw it tonight, I laughed and I was entertained for a couple of hours, but I gotta say that this one felt very disappointing.

"A human with me at the end, and human tears. 2000 years and I can still be surprised. In this I see God."
TRUEBLOOD

Last edited by Andreth; 05-02-2013 at 01:05 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:36 AM   #283
ShadowBoxer
Side-Kick

People are acting like this movie is terrible. Most reviews are saying its at least entertaining. I don't know why everyone is trying to hate on this movie so much? Seem like Marvels success with its movies have brought the trolls or something.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:42 AM   #284
Incredible Hans
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBoxer View Post
People are acting like this movie is terrible. Most reviews are saying its at least entertaining. I don't know why everyone is trying to hate on this movie so much? Seem like Marvels success with its movies have brought the trolls or something.
I'm certainly not a troll. I'm a big Marvel fan and I liked all the MCU films.

However, IM3 was mediocre - with a very bad idea.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:45 AM   #285
-JKR-
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalker89 View Post
What the ? seriously do u think this film was better than Avengers , as we know this film took some major risks but personally the majors out done the little's they didn't pay off that twist turned the movie on its head and sucked the life out of it. I can kinda understand them for doing that but to build up a character like that with so much potential and then say " april fools" just made me . The avengers had a team up of popular comic book hero's interacting with each other for the first time on the big screen also there were very intersting dynamics between the characters aswell.However i do agree about the generic plot but i guess you cant have a risky/bold script for a 1st installment. Speaking of which , why didn't Favareau direct this one am i missing something.
Yeah, I found it to be more engaging and entertaining. The story was intriguing and exciting, the characters interesting, the acting top notch, the gags worked, and the action was exhilerating, well directed and featured some actual tension. The Avengers had a team-up of popular comic book heroes, and that's about it. There's nothing remotely special or about it. Robert Downey Jr. is really the best part of the movie, together with his interactions with Mark Ruffalo, and some gags. But other than that it was cute and entertaining, but never really too exciting. Joss Whedon's TV direction doesn't help - he's a fine writer (even though I think there's far more in him than he's shown), but I hope he'll get better behind the camera when cameras start rolling next time. It's still a solid movie, but IMHO incredibly overrated.

Quote:
One is a piece of entertainment, the other is trying to say something.
Even as a solid piece of entertainment it still doesn't go anywhere a classic such as Ghostbusters, when its acclaim would make you think it's even better. And Iron Man 3, while trying to say something, was infinitely more entertaining to me. Tony Stark using his wits to escape the Extremis soldiers in the small town is far more exciting to me than the Avengers hammering on some faceless, nameless, characterless aliens for half an hour.

This one isn't a typical Marvel movie, it breaks the mold, and is easily more in line with Shane Black's previous movies. That's why I think fans are dissapointed. But again, wouldn't it have been boring to just see more of the same?

Last edited by -JKR-; 05-02-2013 at 01:55 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:56 AM   #286
ShadowBoxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hans View Post
I'm certainly not a troll. I'm a big Marvel fan and I liked all the MCU films.

However, IM3 was mediocre - with a very bad idea.
Well that's your opinion but I am sure I will like it. The mandarin twist doesn't bother me so much anymore, and I wasn't looking for a super serious in tone Iron Man movie. And like I have said to many people griping about the twist. Filmmakers doing comic book movies should be able to interpret characters in different ways as long as it makes sense in the story. It's not written in stone that every comic book character has to be 100 % accurate to their comic book counter part. Example, Bane in DKR varied from the comics but still had the essence of the character. For what I have read the core essence of Mandarin is present in the movie ( maybe not comic accurate) but still there.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:06 AM   #287
Incredible Hans
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBoxer View Post
Well that's your opinion but I am sure I will like it. The mandarin twist doesn't bother me so much anymore, and I wasn't looking for a super serious in tone Iron Man movie. And like I have said to many people griping about the twist. Filmmakers doing comic book movies should be able to interpret characters in different ways as long as it makes sense in the story. It's not written in stone that every comic book character has to be 100 % accurate to their comic book counter part. Example, Bane in DKR varied from the comics but still had the essence of the character. For what I have read the core essence of Mandarin is present in the movie ( maybe not comic accurate) but still there.
The Mandarin twist isn't the only problem with that film.

I went to the cinema yesterday with high expectations. I got somewhat disappointed. The film was okay, but nothing more, and had some terrible plot holes.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:12 AM   #288
Incredible Hans
Side-Kick

Quote:
Tony Stark using his wits to escape the Extremis soldiers in the small town is far more exciting to me than the Avengers hammering on some faceless, nameless, characterless aliens for half an hour.
That is the whole "we take Tony back to the cave"-stuff Feige was talking about: a situation where Tony shows that even without all his money he can do miracles with primitive tools and small resources.

Unfortunately, it wasn't convincing at all in IM3. The whole situation felt staged. While in IM1 it was very clear that Tony had no other choice than to work with the stuff he had there in the cave, always wondered why he didn't rely on his vast resources in IM3. Should have been no problem for him to get "real" equipment for his work.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:16 AM   #289
divan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post

That wouldn't be said if the RT was higher. Go look at the Avengers for this very situation. Using it as validation.

Same here, not that it really matters in the end. All about how I feel in the end.
To be fair there is an inherent difference between the validity of mathematical reviewing in this movie compared to Marvel's The Avengers. And that's even ignoring the fact that giving a number to describe the quality of a movie is stupid.

In Marvel's The Avengers, most reviews circled around a similar zone. The good reviews were an 8, a 9 and the 'meh' reviews were a 7 and the bad reviews were a 6 or a 5.

In Iron Man 3, there are good reviews that are about 8 and 9 too, but the bad reviews are 4, 3 or even less. An avarage is literally a stupid way to "calculate" the quality of such a movie because it's too divisive.

When you see the 'mark' of The Avengers, you more or less will end up having a similar opinion, let's say if the average was an 8,5 you'll probably end up thinking is a 9, an 8, maybe a 7 or a 6, but not a 3.

With Iron Man 3, if the 'mark' is a 6, you'll probably end up giving it an 8, a 9 or a 3. So no. Percentage is idiotic in this case, more than in others.

Last edited by divan; 05-02-2013 at 02:21 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:32 AM   #290
Spideyfan93
Hayley Atwell I love you!

My video review is in my signature, so go ahead and watch if you like.

But overall, it was a very entertaining experience and I dug the direction Shane Black took the franchise in. Although, it seems as if Robert's Tony Stark story is over...which I don't mind. It will just be weird if true.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 05-02-2013, 03:02 AM   #291
Luane
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideyfan93 View Post
My video review is in my signature, so go ahead and watch if you like.

But overall, it was a very entertaining experience and I dug the direction Shane Black took the franchise in. Although, it seems as if Robert's Tony Stark story is over...which I don't mind. It will just be weird if true.
For me it's always weird to see a character goes, mostly when we were used to see an actor playing the role. It's like Bruce Wayne. Trilogy closes the Tony Stark's story very well with conclusion, happy ending and all. It was difficult for me to say goodbye to Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne because I did like to see him playing the role. It's the same thing with RDJ playing Tony Stark.

Anyway, in my mind Shane Black finished the Jon Favreau's work in the right way.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:45 AM   #292
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah, I found it to be more engaging and entertaining. The story was intriguing and exciting, the characters interesting, the acting top notch, the gags worked, and the action was exhilerating, well directed and featured some actual tension. The Avengers had a team-up of popular comic book heroes, and that's about it. There's nothing remotely special or about it. Robert Downey Jr. is really the best part of the movie, together with his interactions with Mark Ruffalo, and some gags. But other than that it was cute and entertaining, but never really too exciting. Joss Whedon's TV direction doesn't help - he's a fine writer (even though I think there's far more in him than he's shown), but I hope he'll get better behind the camera when cameras start rolling next time. It's still a solid movie, but IMHO incredibly overrated.

Even as a solid piece of entertainment it still doesn't go anywhere a classic such as Ghostbusters, when its acclaim would make you think it's even better. And Iron Man 3, while trying to say something, was infinitely more entertaining to me. Tony Stark using his wits to escape the Extremis soldiers in the small town is far more exciting to me than the Avengers hammering on some faceless, nameless, characterless aliens for half an hour.

This one isn't a typical Marvel movie, it breaks the mold, and is easily more in line with Shane Black's previous movies. That's why I think fans are dissapointed. But again, wouldn't it have been boring to just see more of the same?
But it's fake tension though, case in point in the final battle we see all these armors that can all fly and have ranged weapons use melee attacks making it easier for them to get torn apart by Extremis soldiers who have no weapons and rely strictly on CQC. Real tension would have been if the armors and Extremists were forced to be on equal playing field

Or was the tension when Tony, after witnessing Pepper die, called the Mk42 and it trips and breaks in to pieces behind him? Because "Oh No, now he doesn't have any armor to face Killian" Well, that's also just creating fake tension just to get a few laughs from the audience.

Real tension would have been the MK42 working properly and attaching to Tony only to have Killian still best him. Now we're seeing a Tony whose latest and greatest armor is no match for Killian. A Tony who just witnessed the death of the woman he loves. With all his tinkering he still wasn't able to protect her, so he lashes out at Killian and Killian STILL bests him. The geeky loser you left standing on the roof has surpassed Tony Stark, Iron man. The villain appears to be winning. Now what !?

But yeah, why worry about all that when you can get a few chuckles and facepalms from the audience I guess.

Quote:
That is the whole "we take Tony back to the cave"-stuff Feige was talking about: a situation where Tony shows that even without all his money he can do miracles with primitive tools and small resources.

Unfortunately, it wasn't convincing at all in IM3. The whole situation felt staged. While in IM1 it was very clear that Tony had no other choice than to work with the stuff he had there in the cave, always wondered why he didn't rely on his vast resources in IM3. Should have been no problem for him to get "real" equipment for his work.
Exactly, one phonecall and he's on a plane to... well anywhere really. It's not like he had no choice other than to stay in a shed in Tennessee. And what does he do ? He goes to the local hardware store and purchases items to make an electric glove and some bombs. Is THIS how he prepared to protect Pepper ?

At least in the cave he was forced to be brilliant. I wonder what was going through Feige's mind when he said all that stuff.

... Batman !!!

Last edited by Ultra Nolanite; 05-02-2013 at 03:50 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:48 AM   #293
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMariachi View Post
Batman and Robin has a 12%/3.6 IMDB

Spiderman 3 has a 63%/6.3 IMDB

Both movies are generally hated by fans of the characters and the general audience. Both were franchise killers. Iron Man 2 led to Avengers and isnt hated by its fans, generally. Its ratings are better than either movie. Not sure what your point is.
SM3 wasn't a franchise killer. It got mixed reviews (RT/Metacritic for evidence) Made a ton of money at the box office, made a ton of money on DVD/Blu ray. If anything the general audience were annoyed they rebooted the franchise rather than make SM4.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:49 AM   #294
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Seriously, for me IM2 is a better movie than IM3.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:24 AM   #295
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
SM3 wasn't a franchise killer. It got mixed reviews (RT/Metacritic for evidence) Made a ton of money at the box office, made a ton of money on DVD/Blu ray. If anything the general audience were annoyed they rebooted the franchise rather than make SM4.
Exactly! If Spider-Man 4 was released in 2011 or last year, it would have probably earned more money than the Amazing Spider-Man.

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 05-02-2013, 04:30 AM   #296
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Spider-Man 3 was a franchise killer? That'll do me. There's not enough face palms in the world for a comment like that.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:38 AM   #297
Sony23
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelus View Post
Come on, don't pretend you didn't like the Mandarin because it was different from the comics, you're even whining he wasn't Asian! There was plenty of Iron Man, you just hated the way they did it. The film has its flaws like most films do, but is still more interesting and entertaining than IM2 and most comic book movies.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Hold on, don't go getting it twisted. People like you are the reason I stopped coming to these boards. People like to be argumentative and pick apart someone's comment so it fits their own impression of what the person is saying just for the sake of being right... If you asked me would I prefer the Asian version? Honestly, I would say yes. But that is NOT the reason why I didn't like the film's version either. I was enjoying the terrorist angle they took. The Mandarin was portrayed as a "Bin Laden" like figure who felt like he was going to become a serious threat to Iron Man. It's why I like the way Tony responded in front of the camera. But then came that stupid twist. The moment he came out of the toilet sounding like a guy that should be in an Adam Sandler movie, it destroyed every dramatic moment it had built up to this point.

Plenty of Iron Man? Where? He spends most of the film without the armor. In every scene he put it on, it only came back off minutes later. There wasn't any real Tony Stark being Iron Man moments. If you counted all the scenes he was in the armor in IM3 it wouldn't even be half the time he was in IM1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moridin View Post
It's like you weren't even paying attention throughout the entire film.
Yeah, it sucks when people don't pay attention doesn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkslayer101 View Post
Sad to see that some think Iron man is just about a man with a suit of armor.
Yeah, that's exactly what it means. I guess you wouldn't complain if you went and saw a Batman film where he spends most of it as Bruce Wayne then? I get it. I actually like the film for showing that Tony Stark IS Iron Man. That was the theme of the movie! All I'm saying is, have all that, but give us some "superhero" moments as well. The Air Force One scene is a good example. That was a great scene, but it was slightly ruined when they suddenly reveal Tony wasn't in the suit all along. Don't you think that having him in the suit would have been a better display of his character? He was in the suit in previous films showing acts of heroism, why is it a problem now? What's with this remote suit crap? He just wasn't in the suit enough.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:41 AM   #298
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashad View Post
I usually pay more attention to the Avg. Rating than the %.
This this this this

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Old 05-02-2013, 04:53 AM   #299
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Let me say that until 'that' reveal, IM3 was my favorite IM and after the reveal to the end of the movie IM3 drops below IM2 as my worst of the trilogy. The whiplash (no pun intended) from good to terrible (imho) was staggering.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:16 AM   #300
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Liking IM2 more than IM3 is seriously a bit hard to comprehend for me.

Closed Thread