2 1 0.82%
1 2 1.64%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 05:20 AM   #301
kedrell
Correction, I AM SWISS!!!

Default Re: Official Iron Man 3 rate/review thread. - Part 1

Because of all the goodwill Feige and the MCU has fostered with me so far I am inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt if it turns out in later films that the real Mandarin actually exists and Killian unknowingly made a faux version of someone even he didn't know was real. If that turns out to be the case then I can totally roll with this movie. If not then this movie ****in' sucks and there's no two ways around it.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:22 AM   #302
antonydavanzo
Side-Kick

I am really surprised that there are so many seemingly hating on this movie? Has every one lost their sense of fun and become a film critic??

Old 05-02-2013, 05:22 AM   #303
kedrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
Liking IM2 more than IM3 is seriously a bit hard to comprehend for me.
Liking TDK/TDKR is hard for me to understand yet people still do it. Opinions vary, best just to accept it.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:25 AM   #304
kedrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonydavanzo View Post
I am really surprised that there are so many seemingly hating on this movie? Has every one lost their sense of fun and become a film critic??
Defecating on a much loved character will do that, every time. Granted, I'm still giving them the benefit of the doubt that they haven't done that.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:28 AM   #305
antonydavanzo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Defecating on a much loved character will do that, every time. Granted, I'm still giving them the benefit of the doubt that they haven't done that.
Do you really feel that is what could be perceived from this film? Defecating the character of Iron Man or did you mean Mandarin?

Old 05-02-2013, 05:29 AM   #306
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Quote:
Liking TDK/TDKR is hard for me to understand yet people still do it. Opinions vary, best just to accept it.
Yeah I accept it, just wanted to phrase how it feels from my point of view.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:30 AM   #307
kedrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonydavanzo View Post
Do you really feel that is what could be perceived from this film? Defecating the character of Iron Man or did you mean Mandarin?

The latter.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:31 AM   #308
antonydavanzo
Side-Kick

The Mandarin is turning into a bit of a marmite situation....love it or hate it END OF!!

Old 05-02-2013, 05:49 AM   #309
kedrell

Until someone like Feige comes out and states otherwise, I'm going to call Killian/Slattery pseudo-Mandarin. Hmm, kinda sounds like an over the counter drug.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:52 AM   #310
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Until someone like Feige comes out and states otherwise, I'm going to call Killian/Slattery pseudo-Mandarin. Hmm, kinda sounds like an over the counter drug.
C'mon Kendell, you know full well Mandarin isn't going to be reconned in a future movie.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:58 AM   #311
kedrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
C'mon Kendell, you know full well Mandarin isn't going to be reconned in a future movie.
I'm not talking about a retcon. I'm talking about flowing with the narrative they've set up. Was Killian behind the guys who kidnapped Tony in IM1? If not then there is a real 10-rings organization that exists still and so there could still be a real Mandarin behind it. That Killian glommed on and used their image for his own ends doesn't change that.

It's the old close a door but leave the window open routine. They had to know this would possibly piss a lot of people off and set up contingency plans for it. History shows they ain't stupid.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:08 AM   #312
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
I'm not talking about a retcon. I'm talking about flowing with the narrative they've set up. Was Killian behind the guys who kidnapped Tony in IM1? If not then there is a real 10-rings organization that exists still and so there could still be a real Mandarin behind it. That Killian glommed on and used their image for his own ends doesn't change that.

It's the old close a door but leave the window open routine. They had to know this would possibly piss a lot of people off and set up contingency plans for it. History shows they ain't stupid.
I hope they never touch this (Mandarin) subject matter again and I can erase the memory of this movie or rather the reveal from my mind.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:23 AM   #313
kedrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
I hope they never touch this (Mandarin) subject matter again and I can erase the memory of this movie or rather the reveal from my mind.
I'd love for the real deal to show up in IM5 and have him dangling Slattery over a vat of boiling acid in retribution for besmirching his reputation. "Impersonate ME, will you?!!!"

Old 05-02-2013, 06:28 AM   #314
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
I'd love for the real deal to show up in IM5 and have him dangling Slattery over a vat of boiling acid in retribution for besmirching his reputation. "Impersonate ME, will you?!!!"

Old 05-02-2013, 06:50 AM   #315
Incredible Hans
Side-Kick

Okay, forget about the Mandarin twist for a moment... here are other things that didn't work for me in IM3:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

1) Tony challenges the Mandarin "Come to my house". Mandarin (in reality: Kilian) sends three helicopters. Three helicopters. Big deal. Yes, the attack works, but only because Tony is stupid (and Kilian couldn't have known that Tony was that stupid). I mean, Tony has a collection of the world's most powerful weapons at home. In Avengers, his suit was good enough to fight alien vehicles and weapons. And now: three helicopters. Kilian's attack only worked because Tony wasn't cautious. If he had been - if he had noticed the attack only 3 seconds earlier -, he would have been in his suit, intercepted the incoming missile and sent the three helicopters to hell with ease. "The Mandarin" would have been humiliated in public. But no, this low level attack worked because genius Tony Stark challenges terrorists without being prepared for their attacks (what about radar, Tony?).

2) Even with his house destroyed, there is no reason why Tony should sit there in Tenessee making cheap weapons from cheap resources.. What about the Stark Tower in New York - no suits and weaposn there?

3) Iron Man suits in IM3 are made of aluminium.

4) What is the role of Maya Hansen?

5) Tony sees Pepper die. Of course she isn't dead, but at that point he doesn't know. He is shocked for about 15 seconds, and after that he doesn't look like someone who just experienced a tragical loss.

6) Funny after-credits scene, but it doesn't build up any tension for future movies like other after-credits scenes did.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:53 AM   #316
kedrell

Another thing to note is that people usually cry foul when you give one of the few good roles that has always been held by a person of minority status(in this case, asian) and give said role to another white guy. But that's basically what they've done here yet I hear no complaints from that corner. It's odd.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:01 AM   #317
kedrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hans View Post
Okay, forget about the Mandarin twist for a moment... here are other things that didn't work for me in IM3:

1) Tony challenges the Mandarin "Come to my house". Mandarin (in reality: Kilian) sends three helicopters. Three helicopters. Big deal. Yes, the attack works, but only because Tony is stupid (and Kilian couldn't have known that Tony was that stupid). I mean, Tony has a collection of the world's most powerful weapons at home. In Avengers, his suit was good enough to fight alien vehicles and weapons. And now: three helicopters. Kilian's attack only worked because Tony wasn't cautious. If he had been - if he had noticed the attack only 3 seconds earlier -, he would have been in his suit, intercepted the incoming missile and sent the three helicopters to hell with ease. "The Mandarin" would have been humiliated in public. But no, this low level attack worked because genius Tony Stark challenges terrorists without being prepared for their attacks (what about radar, Tony?).

2) Even with his house destroyed, there is no reason why Tony should sit there in Tenessee making cheap weapons from cheap resources.. What about the Stark Tower in New York - no suits and weaposn there?

3) Iron Man suits in IM3 are made of aluminium.

4) What is the role of Maya Hansen?

5) Tony sees Pepper die. Of course she isn't dead, but at that point he doesn't know. He is shocked for about 15 seconds, and after that he doesn't look like someone who just experienced a tragical loss.

6) Funny after-credits scene, but it doesn't build up any tension for future movies like other after-credits scenes did.

1) Valid
2) Valid
3) Valid
4) Valid
5) To be fair he was rather busy fighting and by the time there was any space to breathe and allow for what you're wanting, Pepper was already revealed to have not been killed.
6) Valid

I give it at present about an 8/10 but that could change based on many variables.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:06 AM   #318
-JKR-
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Nolanite View Post
But it's fake tension though, case in point in the final battle we see all these armors that can all fly and have ranged weapons use melee attacks making it easier for them to get torn apart by Extremis soldiers who have no weapons and rely strictly on CQC. Real tension would have been if the armors and Extremists were forced to be on equal playing field

Or was the tension when Tony, after witnessing Pepper die, called the Mk42 and it trips and breaks in to pieces behind him? Because "Oh No, now he doesn't have any armor to face Killian" Well, that's also just creating fake tension just to get a few laughs from the audience.

Real tension would have been the MK42 working properly and attaching to Tony only to have Killian still best him. Now we're seeing a Tony whose latest and greatest armor is no match for Killian. A Tony who just witnessed the death of the woman he loves. With all his tinkering he still wasn't able to protect her, so he lashes out at Killian and Killian STILL bests him. The geeky loser you left standing on the roof has surpassed Tony Stark, Iron man. The villain appears to be winning. Now what !?

But yeah, why worry about all that when you can get a few chuckles and facepalms from the audience I guess.
[/blackout]
Every single movie has to create situation which lead to tension. You not liking it is a whole 'nother story. The focus of the last action setpiece is Tony, not the gazillion armors. Just like the focus of TDKR's final fight aren't the policemen vs. henchmen, but Batman and Bane.

Anyway, I'm finding the hating on this movie to be ridiculous, but it has opened my eyes: people deserve generic, character-less, and unoriginal comic book movies, which feel just like the ones that came out a couple of months ago. Meh... PEOPLE ARE ACTUALLY NAGGING ABOUT HOW IT DOESN'T TEASE ANY OF THE FUTURE MCU MOVIES... What the hell is going on???! And I thought the movies itself were the most important part, rather than such fanboy wet dreams gimmicks...

Last edited by -JKR-; 05-02-2013 at 07:12 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #319
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
Spider-Man 3 was a franchise killer? That'll do me. There's not enough face palms in the world for a comment like that.
Yeah, a franchise killer. Why else reboot it? The movie made alot of money, sure, but it was horrible. Raimi clearly had run dry at that point and was ready to scrape the bottom of the barrel for a sequel. What we would have got in SM4 more than likely would have Quest for Peace. Add into this the rise of Batman and Iron Man in 2008 that changed the game. People wouldnt have been excited for a new Spider Man movie after this. Raimi ruined the characters at that point. Its difficult to come back from emo hair, tangoing, and crying when characters like Joker and Tony Stark hit the silver screen. So yeah, a franchise killer....

Prof. X sittin' on Adamantium wheelchair rims, reading your stupid minds & laughing at your hair.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #320
-JKR-
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMariachi View Post
Yeah, a franchise killer. Why else reboot it? The movie made alot of money, sure, but it was horrible. Raimi clearly had run dry at that point and was ready to scrape the bottom of the barrel for a sequel. What we would have got in SM4 more than likely would have Quest for Peace. Add into this the rise of Batman and Iron Man in 2008 that changed the game. People wouldnt have been excited for a new Spider Man movie after this. Raimi ruined the characters at that point. Its difficult to come back from emo hair, tangoing, and crying when characters like Joker and Tony Stark hit the silver screen. So yeah, a franchise killer....
To be fair, Raimi was forced by the producers to stuff in characters and plot points at the last minute... to make geeks happy, of course. Directors should be left alone to do their own thing - that's the outcome when you try to cater to hard to a certain audience. And you act like emo Peter Parker was what really killed it. The entire script is a mess... badly balanced and structured.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:16 AM   #321
Incredible Hans
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JKR- View Post
Every single movie has to create situation which lead to tension. You not liking it is a whole 'nother story. The focus of the last action setpiece is Tony, not the gazillion armors. Just like the focus of TDKR's final fight aren't the policemen vs. henchmen, but Batman and Bane.

Anyway, I'm finding the hating on this movie to be ridiculous, but it has opened my eyes: people deserve generic, character-less, and unoriginal comic book movies, which feel just like the ones that came out a couple of months ago. Meh...
I really like unconventional, original plots in comic movies.

But in IM3,

1) ... there are too many logical flaws

2) ... the price for the twist was too high (the price was ruining the hero's arch enemy and therefore not giving us the showdown we should have gotten).

And I am not hating IM3, I just say it wasn't a great movie. I love the MCU and my expectations were high.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:24 AM   #322
-JKR-
Side-Kick

1, Which could be said about every comic book movie, when you think about it. It's just that the acceptance rate goes higher or lower based on how much you liked the movie.

2, If you think he wasn't wasted you really didn't get the point of the plot twist. Killian is and was the Mandarin. He features the character's core traits and even had powers, for God's sake. Trevor was just a decoy, a metaphor about today's "evil", and at the same time a satiric view on the racist elements of the original Mandarin. This way he didn't have to leave out the racist stereotype Mandarin, but included the different incarnations of the character. One part as his face, the decoy, and the other as his soul, Killian. And considering how Trevor acted according to Killian's "script," even the stereotype was an extension of his mind and character, and therefore he's the Mandarin to every extent. But I guess people don't like to think. You can like it or not, but the character wasn't wasted or ruined. Guy Pearce's Mandarin is basically the version which has been featured lately in the comics. Except not asian, which Ben Kingsley wouldn't have been ANYWAY!

Old 05-02-2013, 07:29 AM   #323
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMariachi View Post
Yeah, a franchise killer. Why else reboot it?
Because Raimi and Sony had creative differences over Spider-Man 4's direction. Spider-Man 4 was given the green light. It was going to happen. Spider-Man 3 didn't kill anything. It made over 900 million.

The reason for the reboot is because Raimi walked, and Tobey and the others didn't want to do it without him. So they canned SM-4 and decided to reboot.

- The Joker
Old 05-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #324
kedrell

Quote:
Anyway, I'm finding the hating on this movie to be ridiculous, but it has opened my eyes: people deserve generic, character-less, and unoriginal comic book movies, which feel just like the ones that came out a couple of months ago.
What comic book movie came out a couple of months ago?

As far as I am concerned, MS has yet to make a generic, character-less, and unoriginal comic book movie. So why start now? Oh yeah, they suddenly want to appeal to the cine'stas who never liked their films and kept saying they should be more full of subtext and like Nolan's Batman movies. Well those are the bozos who were not part of making the MCU the cinematic juggernaut it has become. It was the fans and open minded casual viewers who were liking what they were making and bought into the ride they were selling.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:38 AM   #325
Incredible Hans
Side-Kick

Quote:
1, Which could be said about every comic book movie, when you think about it. It's just that the acceptance rate goes higher or lower based on how much you liked the movie.

2, If you think he wasn't wasted you really didn't get the point of the plot twist. Killian is and was the Mandarin. He features the character's core traits and even had powers, for God's sake. Trevor was just a decoy, a metaphor about today's "evil", and at the same time a satiric view on the racist elements of the original Mandarin. This way he didn't have to leave out the racist stereotype Mandarin, but included the different incarnations of the character. One part as his face, the decoy, and the other as his soul, Killian. And considering how Trevor acted according to Killian's "script," even the stereotype was an extension of his mind and character, and therefore he's the Mandarin to every extent. But I guess people don't like to think. You can like it or not, but the character wasn't wasted or ruined. Guy Pearce's Mandarin is basically the version which has been featured lately in the comics. Except not asian, which Ben Kingsley wouldn't have been ANYWAY!

Sorry, but I consider your "people don't like to think" too harsh. It seems that your idea is because you liked the Mandarin twist you have to be more intelligent than people who didn't like it. That's ridiculous.

I understood the idea, but I didn't buy it. Trevor is an actor who plays the Mandarin and Killian is a villain who is 90% Killian and 10 % Mandarin. So, the real Mandarin wasn't there.

Iron Man is the only superhero who had his own movie trilogy without ever encountering his arch-foe. He only encountered an imposter and battled a villain who is an amalgam (like Whiplash/Dynamo in IM2), but not on a 50:50 ratio. He is much more Killian than he is Mandarin.

Again, imagine this in a Batman movie done to the Joker. And don't say "Joker is more famous and iconic than Mandarin". Yes, he is, but Batman is also more famous and iconic than Iron Man. Doesn't change the fact that Mandarin is to Iron Man what Joker is to Batman.

And for the racist part: yes, for some time of his existence Mandarin was a yellow peril character. However, since then that has changed a lot in the comics. If he really was a racist caricature still today, how is it that Marvel can still use him in the animation film from lionsgate, in cartoons and Marvel Ultimate Alliance? Why is the character still good enough for these films/games but not for IM3?

Closed Thread