Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 01:35 AM   #126
Flemm
Side-Kick

Default Re: Official Iron Man 3 rate/review thread. - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinZilla89 View Post
I do ask that comic book films retain the essence of the characters they are adapting. By essence I mean character traits and by that I mean personality, motivation, actions.
I think by that criteria...
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Killian is the Mandarin, period. There are definitely some similarities with BB and TDKR, and some of the motivations for pulling the twist are doubtless the same.

But I think overall in IM3, it is more essential to the story. Ultimately, what difference does it make that Liam Neeson's character is Ra's, and not that other guy? Not much. It demonstrates the method of "theatricality and deception," but that's pretty much it. You get the same idea when a similar thing happens in TDKR.

But in IM3 it's about more than surprising the audience and demonstrating a technique: it really does change the nature of the character involved, but in a way that is meaningful. The Mandarin is revealed to be partly a façade, a bogeyman media creation. It's an improvement, really, over the concept we see in the comics. In the case of Ra's, it just meant the more famous actor was actually playing him. In TDKR, it just meant that Bane was a henchman all along. So, this twist has more layers to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
So the third film curse really can't be applied to Iron Man when he's second film was frankly a waste of everyone's time and money.
Meh. Not a great movie, but pretty damn entertaining. Certainly not a waste by any means.

Last edited by Flemm; 05-01-2013 at 01:42 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:51 AM   #127
kedrell
Aacha,cha,cha&InkaDinkaDo

Quote:
Look, IM2 may not have been a complete disaster, but it was a dog's breakfast, it's an ordinary movie and topping it frankly wouldn't have been that hard. So the third film curse really can't be applied to Iron Man when he's second film was frankly a waste of everyone's time and money.

Opinions....you're welcome to yours. Minority as it is.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:00 AM   #128
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Minority? Even the people involved with the film have tried to distant themselves from it. You can't tell me film two is anywhere near film 3 or even film one for that matter, so yeah, the film 3 curse doesn't apply to this series because frankly there's was no curse to overcome.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:03 AM   #129
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

I didn't mind Iron Man 2.. it's still a cool movie.

If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
Old 05-01-2013, 02:12 AM   #130
Flemm
Side-Kick

Quote:
Minority? Even the people involved with the film have tried to distant themselves from it. You can't tell me film two is anywhere near film 3 or even film one for that matter, so yeah, the film 3 curse doesn't apply to this series because frankly there's was no curse to overcome.
It's more that you're overstating your case, and phrasing your opinion in such a way that it implicates "everyone."

IM2 was a very entertaining movie. Well worth the money as far as I'm concerned. Certainly moreso than many movies of its kind that are reasonably successful, and moreso than quite a few that are wildly successful. I'm sure many other people feel the same.

On the whole, it's better to speak for yourself, rather than making broad statements like "it was a waste of everyone's time and money."

If you said, "I felt it was a waste of *my* time and money," then that would be another matter entirely.

Last edited by Flemm; 05-01-2013 at 02:17 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:16 AM   #131
Sharkboy
Hallelujah Pilgrim

Quote:
Look, IM2 may not have been a complete disaster, but it was a dog's breakfast, it's an ordinary movie and topping it frankly wouldn't have been that hard. So the third film curse really can't be applied to Iron Man when he's second film was frankly a waste of everyone's time and money.
Agreed 100% as silly as the third movie curse sounds (for it to be a curse all third films have to be awful, and there have been plenty of excellent third movies) I would assume that breaking any form of "curse" would mean that no third entry has ever been far and widely regarded by audiences and critics the superior film in a trilogy that has been fully acclaimed as well.

(which isn't true because...Toy Story)

But in terms of superhero properties, people are kidding themselves if they pick Iron Man 3, it's my favourite of the bunch, but even if Iron Man 2 was widely considered a masterpiece which clearly it isn't, it's (so far) set out to be in the same realm as TDKR was last year; acclaimed with critics and casuals and highly divisive among fans, but widely considered a lesser film than it's presessor. Lets not have some of the more militant Marvel fans start thinking that Iron Man is the perfect film trilogy to anyone else but them.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:21 AM   #132
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

just reading your sig Sharkboy.. how can you have The Incredibles in your top 10 but not Up! ?? It's by far the best Pixar movie!!

If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
Old 05-01-2013, 02:30 AM   #133
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flemm View Post
It's more that you're overstating your case, and phrasing your opinion in such a way that it implicates ''everyone.''

IM2 was a very entertaining movie. Well worth the money as far as I'm concerned. Certainly moreso than many movies of its kind that are reasonably successful, and moreso than quite a few that are wildly successful. I'm sure many other people feel the same.

On the whole, it's better to speak for yourself, rather than making broad statements like ''it was a waste of everyone's time and money.''

If you said, ''I felt it was a waste of *my* time and money'' then that would be another matter entirely.
Try reading between the lines, when I was referring to it as a waste of time and money I'm talking about the movie itself being a waste of the cast and crews time and the studios money. Like I said, everyone involved acknowledges it was a screw up so I don't even understand what the issues is, if you think it's better than film one then good for you, but almost everyone at worst agrees it's nowhere near on par with film one, even if they found it entertaining. For IM3 to break the 'curse' it means being cursed in the first place. Anyway, the 'curse' is a stupid thing any which way you look at it.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:34 AM   #134
Sharkboy
Hallelujah Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkilban2 View Post
just reading your sig Sharkboy.. how can you have The Incredibles in your top 10 but not Up! ?? It's by far the best Pixar movie!!
No no, it's a top 10 comic book movie list, if it was top 10 movies of all time...I don't think any of them would make the list (except Dark Knight maybe), and yes I agree...Up would be higher than Incredibles.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:38 AM   #135
Flemm
Side-Kick

Quote:
Try reading between the lines, when I was referring to it as a waste of time and money I'm talking about the movie itself being a waste of the cast and crews time and the studios money.
But the studio made a lot of money...

And I really doubt the cast and crew believes they collectively wasted their time. Acknowledging that the movie is flawed? Sure, but that is not the same thing at all.

As for the "curse" concept, I agree it is a little silly.

Last edited by Flemm; 05-01-2013 at 02:50 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:49 AM   #136
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
No no, it's a top 10 comic book movie list, if it was top 10 movies of all time...I don't think any of them would make the list (except Dark Knight maybe), and yes I agree...Up would be higher than Incredibles.

oh haha! Incredibles isn't based off a comic book though is it? I hate to say it's my 4th favorite Pixar movie because I love it so much but Up, Monsters Inc., and Finding Nemo beat it for sure in my eyes. And if I'm also ranking it with Disney movies Lion King, Fox and the Hound, and Beauty and the Beast are above it too lol.

I don't even know what my top 10 movies list would be to be honest. I'd love to know yours and others though!

Old 05-01-2013, 02:58 AM   #137
Sharkboy
Hallelujah Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flemm View Post
But the studio made a lot of money...

And I really doubt the cast and crew believes they collectively wasted their time. Acknowledging that the movie is flawed? Sure, but that is not the same thing at all.

As for the "curse" concept, I agree it is a little silly.
True, good film or bad if they made money that's pretty much what matters. It's why Brett Ratner and Paul WS continues to get work.

Quote:
oh haha! Incredibles isn't based off a comic book though is it? I hate to say it's my 4th favorite Pixar movie because I love it so much but Up, Monsters Inc., and Finding Nemo beat it for sure in my eyes. And if I'm also ranking it with Disney movies Lion King, Fox and the Hound, and Beauty and the Beast are above it too lol.

I don't even know what my top 10 movies list would be to be honest. I'd love to know yours and others though!
Nope but it tackles superheroes better the majority of films did at the time.

It's would be a tough list considering how my film tastes are kinda scitzophrenic. Some days i would prefer to watch spider-man 3 or Batman and robin instead of some of my faves like Blade runner or Memento The list could be nonexistent. It's much easier to rank my favourite superhero films so others can see where i'm coming from when i crank out my opinion on whatever is out.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:59 AM   #138
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Incredibles may not be based on a comic book, but it's without a doubt one of the best superhero films of all time.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:01 AM   #139
Sharkboy
Hallelujah Pilgrim

Quote:
Incredibles may not be based on a comic book, but it's without a doubt one of the best superhero films of all time.
and yet they continue to make a sequel for every other pixar property under the sun. To be fair Brad Bird does have his hands full, and I'd rather they not do it without him.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:02 AM   #140
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Quote:
Nope but it tackles superheroes better the majority of films did at the time.

It's would be a tough list considering how my film tastes are kinda scitzophrenic. Some days i would prefer to watch spider-man 3 or Batman and robin instead of some of my faves like Blade runner or Memento The list could be nonexistent. It's much easier to rank my favourite superhero films so others can see where i'm coming from when i crank out my opinion on whatever is out.
yeah I'd really have to sit down and think about what my 10 to is haha.. I know for sure Up! and Lion King are in there, probably Dark Knight, maybe Inception, Pineapple Express is there, Shawshank Redemption... hmm haha I dunno this could be a chore

Old 05-01-2013, 03:11 AM   #141
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph44 View Post
What is this checked out non sense? So towards the ends of both movies you just stopped caring or paying attention?

Yep. Lost interest in BB in the 3rd act, after being so engaged when Bruce is becoming Batman when he is actually Batman I found the whole thing tedious and couldn't make out what the **** was going during the action.
I think it's pretty obvious at which point I checked out during IM3.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:23 AM   #142
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
I didn't mind Iron Man 2.. it's still a cool movie.
Same. I liked IM2 a HELL of a lot more than IM3.
I think the main problem people had with the movie was it was like a placeholder until Avengers, well seeing as I was desparate for Avengers that's fine with me.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:27 AM   #143
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
The montage is great the rest of the movie is average. The montage almost had me in tears.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:28 AM   #144
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
and yet they continue to make a sequel for every other pixar property under the sun. To be fair Brad Bird does have his hands full, and I'd rather they not do it without him.
They won't do it without him, it's his baby. To be honest I'm ok with there not being a sequel to it.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:28 AM   #145
Sharkboy
Hallelujah Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
I always try and watch films with a more optimistic mind, even if i know a film will likely be terrible i always attempt to find something that entertains me, something that can get me watching it again.

The funny thing is Iron Man 2 is chock full with those great ideas and scenes and concepts, far more than films like ASM, green lantern, fantastic four...heck even more so than Thor and CapAm, but the problem i have with it is that it doesn't really do anything with those elements, it just presents them hoping the viewer will attach some sort of meaning or involvement on their own, but as something to watch when bored there is a lot a great individual funny stuff in there.

It's far from a "great" film though

Old 05-01-2013, 03:29 AM   #146
Sharkboy
Hallelujah Pilgrim

Quote:
The montage is great the rest of the movie is average. The montage almost had me in tears.
I'd wouldn't go so far as to call it "average", it's still an excellent film that never manages to live up to that first 10 minutes...but average is certainly not it.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:34 AM   #147
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Quote:
I think the main problem people had with the movie was it was like a placeholder until Avengers, well seeing as I was desparate for Avengers that's fine with me.
I don't think IM2 is anywhere near as good as IM3 in my eyes.. my MCU movies rating so far probably goes: 1a. IM3 1b. Avengers 2. Thor 3. TIH 4. IM2 5. Cap

Quote:
Quote:
I'd wouldn't go so far as to call it "average", it's still an excellent film that never manages to live up to that first 10 minutes...but average is certainly not it.

oh man, calling "Up" average is like a sin! I laugh so hard everytime I watch that movie, Russell and Dug are pure comedy the entire way though, on top of it telling like 3 different touching stories (Carl finally dealing with Elle's loss, and making his adventure. Russell and Dug finding a real father figure/owner, and Kevin returning to her babies and being safe) I can't think of any other Disney/Pixar movie let alone many movies at all with all those things.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:42 AM   #148
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
I don't think IM2 is anywhere near as good as IM3 in my eyes.. my MCU movies rating so far probably goes: 1a. IM3 1b. Avengers 2. Thor 3. TIH 4. IM2 5. Cap

For me;
IM1 (by a mile)
Avengers
Thor
IM2
Cap
IM3

Quote:
oh man, calling "Up" average is like a sin! I laugh so hard everytime I watch that movie, Russell and Dug are pure comedy the entire way though, on top of it telling like 3 different touching stories (Carl finally dealing with Elle's loss, and making his adventure. Russell and Dug finding a real father figure/owner, and Kevin returning to her babies and being safe) I can't think of any other Disney/Pixar movie let alone many movies at all with all those things.
The montage is a perfect '10' the rest of the movie (for me) drops down to a '7', I just wasn't engaged by any of the characters and didn't get the tone or humour. The montage however has be ranked amoung the best 10 minutes of cinema ever.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:45 AM   #149
Leenie
Side-Kick

I don't mind Iron Man 2 at all. It's a really fun movie. Is it as good as Iron Man 1? Of course not, but not every movie has to blow my mind away. All I wanted from Iron Man 2 was War Machine, some S.H.I.E.L.D., cool action scenes, and good performances ... And, what do you know, I got all of those things in Iron Man 2.

I haven't seen Iron Man 3 yet, but if I end up loving it, then I will be able to easily say that Iron Man is my favorite superhero trilogy to date.

(I'm not going to get into the debate about whether the Iron Man movies are a "proper" trilogy or not, this is just my two cents. You guys are obviously free to have yours. )

(6) Captain America: The Winter Soldier, (7) Kick-Ass, (8) Batman (1989),
(9) Captain America: The First Avenger, (10) Superman
Old 05-01-2013, 03:56 AM   #150
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenie View Post
I don't mind Iron Man 2 at all. It's a really fun movie. Is it as good as Iron Man 1? Of course not, but not every movie has to blow my mind away. All I wanted from Iron Man 2 was War Machine, some S.H.I.E.L.D., cool action scenes, and good performances ... And, what do you know, I got all of those things in Iron Man 2.

I haven't seen Iron Man 3 yet, but if I end up loving it, then I will be able to easily say that Iron Man is my favorite superhero trilogy to date.

(I'm not going to get into the debate about whether the Iron Man movies are a "proper" trilogy or not, this is just my two cents. You guys are obviously free to have yours. )
The Spider-Man Trilogy is my favorite trilogy, then Nolan's Batman, then the X-Men then IM.

Closed Thread