Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Justice League > Justice League

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #701
Travesty
Feelin it in my bones!

Default Re: Justice League: News and Speculation - - Part 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
Really? Clooney wasn't considered A-list at the time of B&R?
He only did 2 movies before B&R(From Dusk Till Dawn and One Fine Day). He was popular for starring in ER, but other than that, he just did TV roles. He was just getting into movies around the time B&R came out.

"Eh ohs, I put on a smiley face mask and stuff. That ways, I can see faces"

-Robin John Blake
Old 05-12-2013, 04:36 PM   #702
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
Yeah, good point. I forgot that he didn't really get hugely popular until after O Brother Where Art Thou and Ocean's Eleven.
Despite it many failures... Batman & Robin did push him into the spotlight in a HUGE way and he thankfully was able to use that without being associated with the failure TOO much.

And thank God as well... because I think he's amazing.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 05-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #703
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
He only did 2 movies before B&R(From Dusk Till Dawn and One Fine Day). He was popular for starring in ER, but other than that, he just did TV roles. He was just getting into movies around the time B&R came out.
He also was the lead actor in The Peacemaker the same year that B&R was released. You also saw what he went on to do with his career.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #704
Travesty
Feelin it in my bones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
He also was the lead actor in The Peacemaker the same year that B&R was released. You also saw what he went on to do with his career.
That's not the point, cause I can say the same about Keaton and Bale, but at the time of his casting, he was still an up and coming movie star. I can definitely say he's an A-lister now, but not then. The only actor that could be close to being considered an "A-lister" would be Kilmer. He was already in movies like Top Gun, The Doors, Tombstone, etc.

-Robin John Blake
Old 05-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #705
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Quote:
That doesn't make him A-list in 1997... He had a few moderate hits and a few failures.

Clooney was not considered truly bankable/A-list until about 2000 onwards.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 05-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #706
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Quote:
That's not the point, cause I can say the same about Keaton and Bale, but at the time of his casting, he was still an up and coming movie star. I can definitely say he's an A-lister now, but not then. The only actor that could be close to being considered an "A-lister" would be Kilmer. He was already in movies like Top Gun, The Doors, Tombstone, etc.
And The Doors...

You wouldn't consider Keaton somewhat A-list when cast as Batman? I suppose he was up and coming (Beetlejuice) and it was Batman that solidified it.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 05-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #707
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeiffer-Pfan View Post
Despite it many failures... Batman & Robin did push him into the spotlight in a HUGE way and he thankfully was able to use that without being associated with the failure TOO much.

And thank God as well... because I think he's amazing.
He was already in the spotlight as an actor on Television (he was on the cast of ER) before he took on the role as Batman and had also earlier had bit parts in two feature films back in 1992 (The Harvest and Unbecoming Age) before staring in From Dusk Till Dawn and One Fine Day.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #708
Travesty
Feelin it in my bones!

Quote:
And The Doors...
Wait, what? I did say The Doors.

Quote:
You wouldn't consider Keaton somewhat A-list when cast as Batman? I suppose he was up and coming (Beetlejuice) and it was Batman that solidified it.
I wouldn't consider him an A-lister, no. He was definitely on his way, and proving he was a great comedic actor(which he is), but Batman really showed he had much more range than just being a comedian. That's one of the reasons why there was such controversy. People thought they were getting Adam West all over again.

-Robin John Blake
Old 05-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #709
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Quote:
He was already in the spotlight as an actor on Television (he was on the cast of ER) before he took on the role as Batman and had also earlier had bit parts in two feature films back in 1992 (The Harvest and Unbecoming Age) before staring in From Dusk Till Dawn and One Fine Day.
He was a popular TV actor on ER... that doesn't make him A-list. His transition from and use of that success is what would qualify his status.

- Early bit parts don't count.
- From Dusk Til Dawn was a moderate hit (good start)
- One Fine Day was (sadly) a bit of a failure at the box office. Michelle was the bankable actor in that movie.
- Batman & Robin was a sizable hit for him... but didn't do much for his credentials as an actor.

He was getting there... working his way up that hollywood list. But he was NOT A-list when cast as Batman.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 05-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #710
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
That doesn't make him A-list in 1997... He had a few moderate hits and a few failures.

Clooney was not considered truly bankable/A-list until about 2000 onwards.
There was no A-List (as far as the Ulmer Scale goes) until 1997. In 2000, James Ulmer published a book of A-list actors for that year and Clooney was mentioned to be ranked just above Nicolas Cage.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #711
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Quote:

I wouldn't consider him an A-lister, no. He was definitely on his way, and proving he was a great comedic actor(which he is), but Batman really showed he had much more range than just being a comedian. That's one of the reasons why there was such controversy. People thought they were getting Adam West all over again.
Oops... sorry about that.

Then I would say Keaton was definitely B-list in the industry (public perception is always tricky)... all he needed was that little extra push into the mainstream. I guess Burton gave it to him.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 05-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #712
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

I was in the MOS boards and found this:

Such a beautiful shot. Snyder really knows how to bring a comic to life, even more than Whedon did in Avengers. If Snyder does end up directing JL, imagine if all the JL members get shots like this.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #713
Iceman
XMN AVNGRS JL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post

Such a beautiful shot. Snyder really knows how to bring a comic to life, even more than Whedon did in Avengers. If Snyder does end up directing JL, imagine if all the JL members get shots like this.
Not everything has to be related to being better than Avengers.

But yeah, great shot that is.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:47 PM   #714
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Not everything has to be related to being better than Avengers.
I feel like Justice League does though. I love the Avengers, but the Justice League is THE superhero team. There is no bigger team and no Marvel characters (other than Spider-Man) more iconic than at least the main members of the team.

The Justice League also operates on a far bigger scale than the Avengers. The alien invasion we saw in the movie is about the size of an alien invasion that Superman and Green Lantern deal with individually on a regular basis.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #715
Rodrigo90
Boy Wonder

Well I support the idea of the JL taking the fight to another planet.

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
Old 05-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #716
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

I don't think that works in the basis of the formation of the team. There needs to be a catastrophe on Earth beforehand, at best half of the film could. But I'd rather it not.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #717
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

If they want to save Darkseid for the sequels, I think the White Martians would be a good place to start for the first film. It would also serve as Martian Manhunter's origin story.

There is a lot to explore there. The Avengers, Man of Steel, and other films that will come out prior to JL all did or will do a great job of convincing the audiences that all aliens in superhero movies are evil (Superman doesn't count for many obvious reasons). Doing a movie with a stereotypical alien like Martian Manhunter being a good guy fighting alongside the JL against a group of aliens would be a great and unique idea IMO.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #718
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Quote:
And The Doors...

Quote:

Quote:
Oops... sorry about that.

Then I would say Keaton was definitely B-list in the industry (public perception is always tricky)... all he needed was that little extra push into the mainstream. I guess Burton gave it to him.
Keaton was in the critically acclaimed drama "Clean and Sober" the year prior to staring in "Batman" in 1989. That proved he had some acting range (beyond comedies). I woudn't say he was a B-List actor since he was in a lead role in successful films like "Beetlejuice" and "Mr. Mom". Anyway, it is not the point that these actors were or were not A-Listers when they played Batman, but rather it is that they either were or eventually became A-Listers, which would imply that they had that potential.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #719
Iceman
XMN AVNGRS JL

Quote:
I feel like Justice League does though. I love the Avengers, but the Justice League is THE superhero team. There is no bigger team and no Marvel characters (other than Spider-Man) more iconic than at least the main members of the team.

The Justice League also operates on a far bigger scale than the Avengers. The alien invasion we saw in the movie is about the size of an alien invasion that Superman and Green Lantern deal with individually on a regular basis.
If you mean biggest individuals then yes JL has some of the biggest of all in Superman & Batman & I like all the other members of the team. And maybe their events are larger in scale too. I love both teams about equally though overall. Avengers has a different appeal with a more unpredictable less heroic team with characters like Hulk & Thor & even not-quite-heroes like Iron Man.

I'm just saying it could be a great time to be a JL fan if things pan out and we don't need to "teach Marvel a lesson" to enjoy JL's hopeful success. If they both make big bucks they'll both keep getting made. If Avengers fails or had failed then WB studio execs will think twice about the JL budget. Live and let live I say, especially if these studios use their brains and release in different years. I want an X-Men, Avengers or JL film every year on a 3 year cycle for the rest of time if that's possible.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:34 PM   #720
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:

^This guy approves.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #721
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Who gives a s*** if JJ approves or not?

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 05-12-2013, 09:33 PM   #722
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:

Avengers had some great shots that looked like they were ripped from the pages.

But MoS looks like it does it better... lol. Not that I'm playing sides, since I love them both. And if Snyder directs JL, all of the members having cool shots like that is pretty much guaranteed.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.

Last edited by ThePowerCosmic; 05-12-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:46 PM   #723
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Man of Steel's shot looks more epic-in-scale though whereas those Avengers shots just look more cool and fun. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #724
Boom
I got nothin'

Let Drew Goddard write the script, and let Snyder direct.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:59 AM   #725
cleverusername8
Or something like that

I do hope that we get something similar to the circling shot of the Avengers from the climax of the movie (the one at the end of most of the trailers) for the Justice League. Even if they're standing in a line or floating/on the ground, a group shot like that would be excellent.

Also, it would be great if WB could get on a White Martian storyline before Marvel makes its way to Skrulls. The whole 'aliens replacing key humans around the world'/'aliens who can force themselves to look like us infiltrating key organizations' is a cool story no matter how many times it's done. It just need to be done right.

Closed Thread