Old 05-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #401
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
This is Iron Man's theme for me:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

It definitely should have been kept in my opinion.
For some reason, at first I thought you posted a track from IM2 and I was about to say I disagree and that the track that's IM's theme is the one you actually posted. So yeah, I agree. Also, this one, I absolutely love it:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

"Films are worth seeing period, even the bad ones." - Blue Sugar
Norek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #402
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

The score in IM3, while not as great as IM1, is a definite improvement over IM2.

Snow Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #403
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Here are my thoughts on the film as well as defending the film

After the record breaking success of The Avengers, one can only ask, "How are they going to top that?". The answer is simple,you can't. The Avengers set the bar for the future Marvel movies. People have been spoiled by the Avengers, so now they expect every Marvel solo movie to be on the same scale as The Avengers. The Avengers is a team-up movie, of course it's going to be huge. Iron Man 3 is a stand alone movie much like Iron man 1 and 2 were.It's personal movie that explores the character of Tony Stark after the events of the Avengers.

Don't expect 'Iron Man 3' to be firing from all cylinders right from the get-go as 'The Avengers' did; rather, the road to that payoff is slow and bumpy. This is a 'post-Avengers' Stark, traumatised by his near-death experience closing the Chitauri wormhole back in New York.

Now on to the Mandarin,this is what someone wrote on the BoxOffice.com forums:
"Arnold Schwarzenegger's portrayal of Mr. Freeze is better than the Mandarin in this movie".

The biggest controversy that Iron Man 3 has to offer is the portrayal of Iron Man's arch nemesis The Mandarin. Of course he was not going to be the "Fu Manchu" stereotype that he was in the comics and international politics (as well as film markets) have changed, so changes had to be made: but Black's does take it to extremes as he puts his own spin on the character. Some may call it a clever postmodern twist, subverting conventions about villains and their portrayal in Hollywood film, others will call it a betrayal of one of Marvels most famous villains.

Because of the change in world politics since Iron Man was first created and the theme about the War of Terror was used in the first film Iron Man. The War of Terror theme has been brought back, The Mandarin acting like an Osama bin Laden like figure but Black and Marvel look at the hypocrisy of terrorist leaders who hides behind their 'ideals' whilst living in comfort and how they would use anything to try to morally justify their actions.

As for Kilian's motivations? Understanding this is pretty critical to the film.
The explanations were in plain sight but not laboriously explained with ham fisted exposition. That's one of the things I liked about this movie. After Kilian forced Rhodey out of the amour, he said,"This time tomorrow I'll have the West's most powerful leader in one hand and the world's most feared terrorist in the other. I'll own the war of terror, create supply and demand".

By installing a puppet President, Killian would end up controlling both the US military and their number one enemy.Well, remember that Killian was also controlling America's number one enemy. All he needs to do to get the President on his side is organise another bombing to scare Congress into accepting anything he brings to the table.

Killian's experiments with Maya Hansen's Extremis were killing subjects spectacularly. The explosion created did enormous personal and property damage.

To cover up the accidents, Killian created the Mandarin to make the explosions appear planned and part of a larger agenda. Mandarin simply spouted political rhetoric to make it sound like there was a point to what he was doing. The idea was that the Mandarin was such a big, random threat that people would pursue him the way they did bin Laden. This would help keep Extremis under wraps while Killian perfected it.

Along the way, he realized that there was huge business to be had if he controlled both the supply and demand for military equipment and enhanced soldiers. A young girl I assumed was the Vice President's granddaughter was missing a limb, so Killian used the promise of a stable Extremis to convince him to go along with the plan to kill the President and take over as President himself, putting the entire country in Killian's pocket.

At that point, he'd use that balance of power--of which he controlled both sides--to boost AIM's profits astronomically.

When you think about it, it's not all that different from the way corporations and well-funded lobbies (like the NRA) control the country today.

Where was Shield in this movie?? Well if i remember correctly, weren't fanboys *****ing about Shield being shoe-horned into Iron Man 2? In The Avengers, Nick Fury committed treason aginst the United States when he fired that a missle at that jet. I'm pretty sure Shield wants to stay off the radar. The other avengers won't help Tony because A) The events of Phase 2 are happening at the same time. B) This movie is Iron Man 3 not The Avengers 2, simple as that.It's going to be the same reason why Stark, Thor and Banner won't be in Thor :The Dark world and Captain America: The Winter Soldier or Guardians Of The Galaxy for that matter.

The Mark 42

A lot of people are *****ing about The Mark 42. Jarvis clearly states that it's a prototype. It barely has any weapons, it falls apart easily and it's flight capability has to be charged up before it can fly.It's a prehensile suit, a nod to Tony's amour in the extremis story line.The only difference is that, instead of controlling the suit with extremis, Tony injects himself with three micro chips in his left arm which are linked to his brain. Therefore he can control his armour using his mind and hand gestures.

Another thing people are *****ing about, is Aldrich Killian breating fire.Do people realise that there's a character called Mallen in the Extremis story line who can breath fire right? It's called being faithful to source material people, I mean Tony fought Aliens in The Avengers, so a villain who can breathe fire is not plausible?

The extremis virus re-writes the human DNA, giving a human being increased strength and the ability to produce heat from the body. Anyone infected with extremis can fight Iron Man with their bare hands

So Alrich Killian was just basically the on-screen version of Mallen from the extremis storyline.I mean, he did have dragon tattoos on his body, he was basically a skilled fighter, he was smart, so how the hell is he a weak villain?

Come on people, this is a movie.It doesn't have to be all "dark","realistc" and "brooding" like Nolan's Batman trilogy ( I love TDK trilogy, calm down NOlanites). One of the reasons why The Avengers was a success is because it was a breath of fresh air. It wasn't dark, it was light-hearted and didn't take itself too seriously. The whole "let's make all CBM's dark"(ala TASM) will become boring and repeatitive .At some point people will grow tired of it.

Iron Man 3 was a good balance of action and comedy, it did have dark moments but that didn't dominate throughout the entire movie. The film offers up two eye- popping set pieces. The first sees a daring attack on Air Force One in mid-air, leaving 13 people in free-fall and a truly exhilarating sequence where Iron Man gets to play 'barrel of monkeys' with all of them and guide them to safety. The second is the elaborate and game- changing climax Ė not only for the fact that it is the first and only time in the whole movie that we see the Iron Legion in action, but Tony jumps from suit to suit in order to fight Killian. That was awesome.

The whole point is that great heroes become better heroes thanks to their weaknesses. The most noticeable thing you would spot here is when Iron Man's armor is keep crashing and falling apart and Tony's anxiety caused by what he did in The Avengers. Tony getting the shrapnel removed at the end of the movie was a great way to end his arc and also great character development. The reason why he didn't take it out in IM2 is because he felt it had become who he was.

Overall, IM3 is the best superhero movie released since The Amazing Spider-ManIt wonderfully blends experienced, award winning actors with a balanced mix of story and action. The comedy works so well on many levels. There's the "hit you over the head" type humor and then there's the drier, sarcastic comedy that Robert Downey was born to deliver. Everything meshes here for one of the better film going experiences of the year. 10/10

TeeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #404
TeeKay
Side-Kick

I think it was the best Marvel solo movie to date, anyone agree???

Last edited by TeeKay; 05-04-2013 at 05:04 PM.
TeeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #405
kosh33
MCU Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post

After the record breaking success of The Avengers, one can only ask, "How are they going to top that?". The answer is simple,you can't. The Avengers set the bar for the future Marvel movies. People have been spoiled by the Avengers, so now they expect every Marvel solo movie to be on the same scale as The Avengers. The Avengers is a team-up movie, of course it's going to be huge. Iron Man 3 is a stand alone movie much like Iron man 1 and 2 were.It's personal movie that explores the character of Tony Stark after the events of the Avengers.

Don't expect 'Iron Man 3' to be firing from all cylinders right from the get-go as 'The Avengers' did; rather, the road to that payoff is slow and bumpy. This is a 'post-Avengers' Stark, traumatised by his near-death experience closing the Chitauri wormhole back in New York.

"Arnold Schwarzenegger's portrayal of Mr. Freeze is better than the Mandarin in this movie".

The biggest controversy that Iron Man 3 has to offer is the portrayal of Iron Man's arch nemesis The Mandarin. Of course he was not going to be the "Fu Manchu" stereotype that he was in the comics and international politics (as well as film markets) have changed, so changes had to be made: but Black's does take it to extremes as he puts his own spin on the character. Some may call it a clever postmodern twist, subverting conventions about villains and their portrayal in Hollywood film, others will call it a betrayal of one of Marvels most famous villains.

Because of the change in world politics since Iron Man was first created and the theme about the War of Terror was used in the first film Iron Man. The War of Terror theme has been brought back, The Mandarin acting like an Osama bin Laden like figure but Black and Marvel look at the hypocrisy of terrorist leaders who hides behind their 'ideals' whilst living in comfort and how they would use anything to try to morally justify their actions.

The explanations were in plain sight but not laboriously explained with ham fisted exposition. That's one of the things I liked about this movie. After Kilian forced Rhodey out of the amour, he said,"This time tomorrow I'll have the West's most powerful leader in one hand and the world's most feared terrorist in the other. I'll own the war of terror, create supply and demand".

By installing a puppet President, Killian would end up controlling both the US military and their number one enemy.Well, remember that Killian was also controlling America's number one enemy. All he needs to do to get the President on his side is organise another bombing to scare Congress into accepting anything he brings to the table.

Killian's experiments with Maya Hansen's Extremis were killing subjects spectacularly. The explosion created did enormous personal and property damage.

To cover up the accidents, Killian created the Mandarin to make the explosions appear planned and part of a larger agenda. Mandarin simply spouted political rhetoric to make it sound like there was a point to what he was doing. The idea was that the Mandarin was such a big, random threat that people would pursue him the way they did bin Laden. This would help keep Extremis under wraps while Killian perfected it.

Along the way, he realized that there was huge business to be had if he controlled both the supply and demand for military equipment and enhanced soldiers. A young girl I assumed was the Vice President's granddaughter was missing a limb, so Killian used the promise of a stable Extremis to convince him to go along with the plan to kill the President and take over as President himself, putting the entire country in Killian's pocket.

At that point, he'd use that balance of power--of which he controlled both sides--to boost AIM's profits astronomically.

When you think about it, it's not all that different from the way corporations and well-funded lobbies (like the NRA) control the country today.

Where was Shield in this movie?? Well if i remember correctly, weren't fanboys *****ing about Shield being shoe-horned into Iron Man 2? In The Avengers, Nick Fury committed treason aginst the United States when he fired that a missle at that jet. I'm pretty sure Shield wants to stay off the radar. The other avengers won't help Tony because A) The events of Phase 2 are happening at the same time. B) This movie is Iron Man 3 not The Avengers 2, simple as that.It's going to be the same reason why Stark, Thor and Banner won't be in Thor :The Dark world and Captain America: The Winter Soldier or Guardians Of The Galaxy for that matter.

The Mark 42

A lot of people are *****ing about The Mark 42. Jarvis clearly states that it's a prototype. It barely has any weapons, it falls apart easily and it's flight capability has to be charged up before it can fly.It's a prehensile suit, a nod to Tony's amour in the extremis story line.The only difference is that, instead of controlling the suit with extremis, Tony injects himself with three micro chips in his left arm which are linked to his brain. Therefore he can control his armour using his mind and hand gestures.

Another thing people are *****ing about, is Aldrich Killian breating fire.Do people realise that there's a character called Mallen in the Extremis story line who can breath fire right? It's called being faithful to source material people, I mean Tony fought Aliens in The Avengers, so a villain who can breathe fire is not plausible?

The extremis virus re-writes the human DNA, giving a human being increased strength and the ability to produce heat from the body. Anyone infected with extremis can fight Iron Man with their bare hands

So Alrich Killian was just basically the on-screen version of Mallen from the extremis storyline.I mean, he did have dragon tattoos on his body, he was basically a skilled fighter, he was smart, so how the hell is he a weak villain?

Come on people, this is a movie.It doesn't have to be all "dark","realistc" and "brooding" like Nolan's Batman trilogy ( I love TDK trilogy, calm down NOlanites). One of the reasons why The Avengers was a success is because it was a breath of fresh air. It wasn't dark, it was light-hearted and didn't take itself too seriously. The whole "let's make all CBM's dark"(ala TASM) will become boring and repeatitive .At some point people will grow tired of it.

Iron Man 3 was a good balance of action and comedy, it did have dark moments but that didn't dominate throughout the entire movie. The film offers up two eye- popping set pieces. The first sees a daring attack on Air Force One in mid-air, leaving 13 people in free-fall and a truly exhilarating sequence where Iron Man gets to play 'barrel of monkeys' with all of them and guide them to safety. The second is the elaborate and game- changing climax Ė not only for the fact that it is the first and only time in the whole movie that we see the Iron Legion in action, but Tony jumps from suit to suit in order to fight Killian. That was awesome.

The whole point is that great heroes become better heroes thanks to their weaknesses. The most noticeable thing you would spot here is when Iron Man's armor is keep crashing and falling apart and Tony's anxiety caused by what he did in The Avengers. Tony getting the shrapnel removed at the end of the movie was a great way to end his arc and also great character development. The reason why he didn't take it out in IM2 is because he felt it had become who he was.

Overall, IM3 is the best superhero movie released since The Amazing Spider-ManIt wonderfully blends experienced, award winning actors with a balanced mix of story and action. The comedy works so well on many levels. There's the "hit you over the head" type humor and then there's the drier, sarcastic comedy that Robert Downey was born to deliver. Everything meshes here for one of the better film going experiences of the year. 10/10

Great post!!

kosh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:03 PM   #406
Broseph44
We Are Groot

Quote:

The Mark 42

So much win, awesome post.

I believe in Ben Affleck.

Hal: Were we ever truly friends?
Sinestro: Thatís the tragedy of all of this, Jordan. Hal, weíll always be friends.
Broseph44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #407
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

Honestly, I'm kinda shocked at some of the negative response IM3 is getting from the fans here. Did they take some liberties with the source material? Sure. But I'll be damned if this wasn't one of the most entertaining and clever movies I've seen in a while, and it's a great Tony Stark/Iron Man adventure.

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Compi716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #408
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Quote:
Not me. It was good, don't get me wrong, I thought the first two Iron Mans were better.

Proud Co-founder of Gambitís Royal Flush
squeekness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #409
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compi716 View Post
Honestly, I'm kinda shocked at some of the negative response IM3 is getting from the fans here. Did they take some liberties with the source material? Sure. But I'll be damned if this wasn't one of the most entertaining and clever movies I've seen in a while, and it's a great Tony Stark/Iron Man adventure.
I'm not that shocked. Seems like this movie wasn't targeted directly at cb fans and some of them are sore about it.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #410
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
I'm not that shocked. Seems like this movie wasn't targeted directly at cb fans and some of them are sore about it.
Yeah, but Marvel movies in general usually end up mangling someone's favorite character. Comic book fans should be used to it by now,lol. I've learned to let it go. (Of course I've been lucky to not have any of mine get screwed up too badly so maybe that's why I am more forgiving... )

Old 05-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #411
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

What probably should've happened in IM3:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Old 05-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #412
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
What probably should've happened in IM3:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
it wouldn't of made sense in the context of the film though, Killian couldn't kill himself even if he wanted to

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #413
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matarreyes View Post
Nothing was originally said about super strength or durability, AFAIK. Just healing (per flashback scene).
super strength (on some level was obvious.. (did you not see the way stowzack lifted tony?)

durability is also a must to be able to contain that amount of heat

[=]
Old 05-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #414
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
I do. To me, it was below the AVENGERS but above everything else.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #415
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norek View Post
Why?
War Profiteering.

it's what tony got out of doing in the first film

[=]
Old 05-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #416
Matarreyes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijunexus View Post
I kind of thought that their use of super strength and durability throughout the entire film was enough evidence that Extremis grants super strength and durability to those injected with it...
You did not get my answer. What I meant to convey was that Extremis=/=supersoldier serum because it was originally developed purely as a healing aid. As in, Maya wasn't trying to replicate Captain America, she was trying to cure people. The durability and strength (obvious in the movie, as you say) were side effects, and the idea became corrupted, but I still don't think that the comparison between Extremis and super serum is a good one because their origins are vastly different.

Matarreyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #417
Merlo
Banned User

I am worried about the rest of the of the phase two movies based on how Iron Man 3 turned on.

Merlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #418
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matarreyes View Post
You did not get my answer. What I meant to convey was that Extremis=/=supersoldier serum because it was originally developed purely as a healing aid. As in, Maya wasn't trying to replicate Captain America, she was trying to cure people. The durability and strength (obvious in the movie, as you say) were side effects, and the idea became corrupted, but I still don't think that the comparison between Extremis and super serum is a good one because their origins are vastly different.
the comparison isn't about their origins, it's about their product. imo.

[=]
Old 05-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #419
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlo View Post
I am worried about the rest of the of the phase two movies based on how Iron Man 3 turned on.
I dunno. That Thor trailer looked pretty good.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #420
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
I'm worried that Marvel won't be able to count all the money they make.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #421
Merlo
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeekness View Post
I dunno. That Thor trailer looked pretty good.
It does, but unfortunately we live in a world where terrible surprises awaits us.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #422
DyeLorean
Cinemaphonic Quadrovision

Let's not forget that each director imprints his/their own style into the film. Not every movie from Phase II will be as Iron Man Three (including both good and bad things about it).

DyeLorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #423
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Quote:
It does, but unfortunately we live in a world where terrible surprises awaits us.
The trick, lol, is not to set your expectations too too high and be willing to accept some changes in movie-verse.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #424
Merlo
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeekness View Post
The trick, lol, is not to set your expectations too too high and be willing to accept some changes in movie-verse.
Well with Iron Man 3, I didn't set my expectations real high before I saw it. I can accept changes in comic book movies that I am interested in as long as what was changed never mattered to me.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #425
BrlntDsgse
Side-Kick

Sitting in theater right now, waiting for it to start......very excited!

BrlntDsgse is offline   Reply With Quote