The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Old 05-02-2013, 03:25 AM   #126
Incredible Hans
Side-Kick

Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
In overall comparative terms, no. But Mandarin is Iron Man's archenemy, and one of his few enemies that isn't just an Iron Man imitator dressed up in another suit of armor.
I totally agree.

Incredible Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:27 AM   #127
Broseph44
We Are Groot

Quote:
In overall comparative terms, no. But Mandarin is Iron Man's archenemy, and one of his few enemies that isn't just an Iron Man imitator dressed up in another suit of armor.

Cherokeesam and others seem shocked that Mandarin has so many fans. But he does, so you guys need to come to terms with the fact that some people like him and dislike how he was presented in the film.
I understand that but people knew going in, especially the hardcore comic fans, that they wouldn't be getting comic Mandarin. No Asian descent, no magic rings. So they knew that going in and were already setting themselves up for disappointment. And when the twist tries to do something where
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
you get a pretty close visual of mandarin with Kingsley wearing rings and a robe and the beard, and also having Killian showing the other aspects. Through the extremis with his powers, the dragon tattoo. We get a really cool double take/mirroring of the character.

I can understand then if these so called hardcore mandarin fans get disappointed but fact is, they were going to be disappointed regardless even before the twist.

I believe in Ben Affleck.

Hal: Were we ever truly friends?
Sinestro: That’s the tragedy of all of this, Jordan. Hal, we’ll always be friends.
Broseph44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:36 AM   #128
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

I feel really sorry for people who haven't seen this film yet... Because even with spoiler tags, I feel like people have talked indiscriminately enough about key aspects of this film that it's going to be hard for people to go into it without bracing themselves for something.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:39 AM   #129
Broseph44
We Are Groot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvieboy17 View Post
I feel really sorry for people who haven't seen this film yet... Because even with spoiler tags, I feel like people have talked indiscriminately enough about key aspects of this film that it's going to be hard for people to go into it without bracing themselves for something.
Yeah I guess, but then the should also avoid the forums and discussions. Lots of people have seen it, spoilers are bound to get out somehow. If they really really want nothing spoiled, they'd avoid the boards until they see the film themselves.

Sinestro: That’s the tragedy of all of this, Jordan. Hal, we’ll always be friends.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:40 AM   #130
ThePhantasm
Feedin' the Wampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvieboy17 View Post
Honestly, even on the best of forums this is going to happen. A good rule of thumb if you want to avoid spoilers is to take a break from SHH about 3-4 weeks away from the movie's release. I plan to do this for Man of Steel.

Countdown to Mysterious Heroism | H.E.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:40 AM   #131
Broseph44
We Are Groot

Quote:
Honestly, even on the best of forums this is going to happen. A good rule of thumb if you want to avoid spoilers is to take a break from SHH about 3-4 weeks away from the movie's release. I plan to do this for Man of Steel.
Exactly, this. Boooooom

Old 05-02-2013, 03:43 AM   #132
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Yeah that's true I guess but still... I feel like the News and Spec thread is the public face to this, it should stay somewhat open to everyone. But I digress...

Old 05-02-2013, 04:14 AM   #133
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hans View Post
Okay, here is my opionion about IM3:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Imagine a Batman movie... trailers said the Joker will finally be the villain after two predecessors where he didn't appear.
The film shows scenes with the Joker played by a great actor who is just awesome in that role.
Then it turns out that he really isn't the Joker. He is just an old drunken clown paid by Hush who is the real villain. "Joker" doesn't do anything of importance in the film.
Then, in the showdown, Hush says to Batman: "You wanted the Joker? You have him. Actually, I am the Joker." Of course, Hush doesn't look that part and doesn't have the Joker's background, weapons and character. So you can say the Joker didn't appear in the movie.

Does this sound like something you would like?

The Mandarin twist was a very bad idea, but it didn't ruin the film entirely. However, aside from that twist, there were also a lot of plot holes. So sorry, not a great movie at all.
hmm, Kinda like that. Only that Hush is pretty cool. IMO

... Batman !!!
Ultra Nolanite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:31 AM   #134
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

The Joker isn't a good comparison for Mandarin, they would never pull off the same thing Joker is more popular than pretty much all of Marvel's properties let alone an Iron Man villain that hasn't been relevant for a while.

You might as well say...oh well if they made Electro black then why don't you go ahead and make Batman black.

Oh and while I sympathize with those who haven't seen the film and how we've all just pretty much talk about this film willy nilly now, if you are that afraid of being spoiled for this film...why on god's earth would you be on this forum so close to release day?

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Sharkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:05 AM   #135
kedrell
PopularisCulturaFanaticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
You might as well say...oh well if they made Electro black then why don't you go ahead and make Batman black.
Well when they are being upfront about a change to a known character it gives us a chance to adjust to the idea of the change. Works for me with Electro being black now and it worked for me with Mandarin not being asian any more but getting a Bin Laden-esque makeover. I wasn't thrilled with it at first but I came around to the idea since he still had the rings and mastermind persona it seemed. I can deal with race changes well enough in most cases. But then they pull what they did here and I can only look at it in one of two ways now: 1- Either there's still a real Mandarin out there who's behind the guys that were in the 1st film(and showed up briefly in the 2nd to help out Vanko) or 2 - Shane Black can go to hell along with this movie. I'm choosing to go with the former until proven otherwise but if Killian is the only Mandarin we will ever get and what they take for a true and decent interpretation of the character then this is the MCU's first movie that I'd say was bad. Which would be too bad because the rest of the film is really strong. But there are some things I just can't go with.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:53 AM   #136
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

I'm not sure I agree with the whole "You can't compare the Mandarin to Joker". If people can compare Iron Man with Batman all the time, then they can compare their two arch-enemies in that context. "Well he's not that famous" - neither was Iron Man before the first movie.

"Films are worth seeing period, even the bad ones." - Blue Sugar
Norek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:02 AM   #137
kedrell
PopularisCulturaFanaticus

Nobody other than comic fans knew who Galactus was. Didn't make it suck any less when he ended up as a cloud.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #138
Ironfan72
Golden Avenger

Personally I have avoided as much of the boards as i could, as I want to enjoy the film as is, usually I dont care one way or the other, but for some reason this time, I want some surprises.
I have been a die hard, loyal Iron Man reader and fan since I was 9 yrs old, been through many years of the character being over looked and even made fun of, its nice to finally see the popularity of this character.
Going in to the first film, I knew changes would be made to orgin, and other aspects of each character, while I am loyal, I really have no issues with the changes made, they work, and I knew when Mandarin was announced that major changes would accure, and happened, again, I am not bothered by that, the essence of the characters are still there, to me, to see Iron Man, War Machine, Iron Monger, Justin Hammer, Whiplash, Killian, Mandarin and others come to life on the screen has been a joy.
My brother, girlfriend and I will be seeing the film first thing tomorrow morning and I am beyond geeked and know that I will enjoy every second.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #139
Duker Jay
Side-Kick

Quote:
The Joker isn't a good comparison for Mandarin, they would never pull off the same thing Joker is more popular than pretty much all of Marvel's properties let alone an Iron Man villain that hasn't been relevant for a while.
Yeah...that's reasonable.

Duker Jay's Art Thread
Duker Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #140
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Most comic book fans know that Iron Man's arch-Nemesis is The Mandarin, he been featured in three various cartoon series where he's been referred as Iron Man's main adversary of course he's been depicted as a Chinese Man with mystical rings as his powers.

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #141
tek
Side-Kick

the fake outrage over the twist and the bandwagon jumpers of the same persuasion are hysterical. it is like a reality tv show in here with carefully scripted roles. surely perception can reach out to a general public point of view and not be bogged down with those who miss the point because it hurts their storyline

tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #142
darkslayer101
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph44 View Post
So sorry, just your opinion.
I actually thought Killian was the great representation of the Mandarin, honestly if he wore the robes and the rings, some fans wouldn't even complain. If you think about it Killian possessed every character traits of the Mandarin, and the he is the arch-nemesis of stark, being created by him in the flashback, which eventually leads to 10 rings. His abilites were far stronger than the extremis soldiers in the extremis comic. He literally ripped through IronMan's armor. Not to mention his "I am the Mandarin" line, with extremis glowing his dragon tattoos completely reminded me of this:

Like i said this is a great representation of the Mandarin, only thing i wished was they could have handled Kingsley's character better and avoided the switch-bait tactics

darkslayer101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #143
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

The reaction to the twist by some fans is making me think of that scene near the end of There Will Be Blood. Shane Black is DDL's character. "I...drink...your...milkshake. I drink it up!!!!!"

redfirebird2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #144
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tek View Post
the fake outrage over the twist and the bandwagon jumpers of the same persuasion are hysterical. it is like a reality tv show in here with carefully scripted roles. surely perception can reach out to a general public point of view and not be bogged down with those who miss the point because it hurts their storyline
There's nothing fake about it. I doubt people waste their time and pretend they didn't like the movie when they actually did, just to annoy others. It is what it is. People have legitimate reasons to be disappointed and I wish others stop throwing rocks at them because they do so. I don't see those of us who had a more negative experience calling everyone else fake for claiming they liked the movie. As a matter of fact, I clearly said many times that I'm happy that people are enjoying it. To say others are missing the point is very pretentious, among other things.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #145
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:

Oh and while I sympathize with those who haven't seen the film and how we've all just pretty much talk about this film willy nilly now, if you are that afraid of being spoiled for this film...why on god's earth would you be on this forum so close to release day?
Because the mods have said to use spoiler tags, and people have been blatantly ignoring them. Some of the people have done so on purpose to troll the boards, others have been just thoughtless/careless. No one should be directed to go away from this board just because the film hasn't been released yet, and anyone openly talking about spoilers when there have been multiple directives not to do that deserve a ban.

"I'm going to show you something beautiful. Everyone screaming, for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings.......strings....... but now I'm free. There are no strings on me."

- Ultron V
Tony Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #146
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norek View Post
There's nothing fake about it. I doubt people waste their time and pretend they didn't like the movie when they actually did, just to annoy others. It is what it is. People have legitimate reasons to be disappointed and I wish others stop throwing rocks at them because they do so. I don't see those of us who had a more negative experience calling everyone else fake for claiming they liked the movie. As a matter of fact, I clearly said many times that I'm happy that people are enjoying it. To say others are missing the point is very pretentious, among other things.
Not everyone, but some are doing exactly that. It happens every time one of these movies come out that people feel the need to troll the boards to get reactions out of people.

"I'm going to show you something beautiful. Everyone screaming, for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings.......strings....... but now I'm free. There are no strings on me."

- Ultron V
Tony Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #147
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Not everyone, but some are doing exactly that. It happens every time one of these movies come out that people feel the need to troll the boards to get reactions out of people.
As there are those who defend a movie they haven't even seen yet, and continuously insulting others for disliking something they already convinced themselves that they'll like.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #148
DorneyDave
Side-Kick

Iron Man 3 Tonight in IMAX!!!!!!!

DorneyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #149
Kane52630
Bio-Digtial Jazz, Man.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Kane52630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #150
darkslayer101
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tek View Post
there is nothing fake about it actually, i was pretty angry when i saw the scene but Killian's great representation of Mandarin won me over. I can only imagine the fan's dissapointment for the character, but no one can deny that the movie was well made.

darkslayer101 is offline   Reply With Quote