The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

View Poll Results: Which Female Character Should Get a Solo Outting?
Ms Marvel 59 65.56%
Spider-Woman 19 21.11%
Tigra 4 4.44%
Black Widow 31 34.44%
She-Hulk 20 22.22%
Thundra 2 2.22%
Scarlet Witch 10 11.11%
Other 18 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #151
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games
 
blalex620's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 755
Default Re: Marvel Looking into Female Characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsnee View Post
But to the general audience, the name will conjure up an association to spider-man.
You do realize that just because people think something does not make it actually true. I can think that Thor is just a blonde haired idiot who walks around with a hammer for no reason. Doesn't necessarily make it true. Just because people may think she has an association with Spider-Man doesn't mean she actually does. Like another poster said, it's up to the film maker to effectively communicate this because in the comics it's effectively communicated.

__________________
1) Man of Steel 2) Thor 2 3) The Wolverine 4) Pacific Rim 5) Iron Man 3 6) Oblivion 7) Mortal Instruments: City of Bones 8) Ender's Game 9) Beautiful Creatures 10) After Earth
blalex620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:25 AM   #152
DrCosmic
Professor of Power
 
DrCosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: In the Moment
Posts: 6,344
Default Re: Marvel Looking into Female Characters

Actually, it's up to the marketing team to make sure no one thinks "knock off Spider-Man" and all the connotations that brings up. Before anyone even sees the trailer it's "Hey, have you heard they're making a Spider-Girl movie?" and similar. That's when interest is decided, not after people buy their tickets and are sitting in the seats.

__________________
WW TV Show Ideas - X-Men TV Show Ideas -
With a Ph.D in Metascience
"Sufficiently understood magic is indistinguishable from science."
DrCosmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #153
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys
 
terry78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 61,429
Default Re: Marvel Looking into Female Characters

I still say She-Hulk and Ms. Marvel are the only two that could realistically make a profit if they were released in this market right now.

__________________
The only thing funnier than watching stupid people argue is watching smart people argue.
-----------
Who the **** makes a movie and while planning it is like, "you know what this needs...is some Greg Kinnear."
terry78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:08 AM   #154
DrCosmic
Professor of Power
 
DrCosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: In the Moment
Posts: 6,344
Default Re: Marvel Looking into Female Characters

I'm a little squirrely about She-Hulk. She kinda has that same issue as Spider-Woman, the stigma that she's a lesser than spinoff of another popular hero, same problem War Machine or "Batgirl Begins" would have. Does that sound like an actual issue to anyone else?

__________________
WW TV Show Ideas - X-Men TV Show Ideas -
With a Ph.D in Metascience
"Sufficiently understood magic is indistinguishable from science."
DrCosmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #155
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 12,047
Default Re: Marvel Looking into Female Characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
I still say She-Hulk and Ms. Marvel are the only two that could realistically make a profit if they were released in this market right now.
I'd say that marquee value of the lead actress is going to be the chief determinant of a Marvel superheroine movie's success; not "brand recognition" of the character she's playing, or how good the script is. Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk, Spider-Woman, Scarlet Witch.....general audiences aren't going to recognize any of those names, for the most part. Outside of Wonder Woman and Catwoman, and maybe Storm, general audiences just aren't well-versed in superheroines at all. So it's going to come down to whether or not they can get a big enough star to fill the role.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #156
DrCosmic
Professor of Power
 
DrCosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: In the Moment
Posts: 6,344
Default Re: Marvel Looking into Female Characters

A big star will be the biggest factor, but I think that a lot of these names give a certain impression that has to be taken into account. When you say She-Hulk, that immediately tells the audience what they're getting... they'll expect a female Hulk, different in some way perhaps, maybe not though. Scarlet Witch tells them something different... witches, when explicitly named such, are often bad guys... is this girl? She's a superhero? Captain Marvel says something much more superheroic, but also sounds silver agey... Then you have the idea of how easy to 'get' their premise is, or if played the opposite, how mysterious and deep their premise is...

Iron Man... you have a pretty clear idea of what you're getting... the moment you see him on screen, you know so much about him...
Hulk... he's just that... the moment you see him, oh, he's a monster - and you're right, that's exactly what he is...
Thor... if you have any knowledge of Norse Mythology...
Captain America is a bit more squirrely, but you know you're getting a star spangled superhero...


That shorthand for the character is important too... sure people might show up for Angelina Jolie for any premise, but for most actresses, the premise is relevant.

__________________
WW TV Show Ideas - X-Men TV Show Ideas -
With a Ph.D in Metascience
"Sufficiently understood magic is indistinguishable from science."
DrCosmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #157
Hypestyle
Side-Kick
 
Hypestyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 6,020
Default Re: Marvel Looking into Female Characters

hopefully something will come out soon, in the next 3-4 years.

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #158
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys
 
terry78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 61,429
Default Re: Marvel Looking into Female Characters

If they do She-Hulk they'll probably do it more as a Kick-Ass/Scott Pilgrim type of thing where it's kind of tongue in cheek and occasionally fourth wall breaking.

__________________
The only thing funnier than watching stupid people argue is watching smart people argue.
-----------
Who the **** makes a movie and while planning it is like, "you know what this needs...is some Greg Kinnear."
terry78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:07 AM   #159
chiefchirpa
Haaa-rooooooo
 
chiefchirpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,236
Default Re: Marvel Looking into Female Characters

Ms Marvel above else

chiefchirpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:26 AM   #160
samsnee
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,091
Default Re: Marvel Looking into Female Characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
A big star will be the biggest factor, but I think that a lot of these names give a certain impression that has to be taken into account. When you say She-Hulk, that immediately tells the audience what they're getting... they'll expect a female Hulk, different in some way perhaps, maybe not though. Scarlet Witch tells them something different... witches, when explicitly named such, are often bad guys... is this girl? She's a superhero? Captain Marvel says something much more superheroic, but also sounds silver agey... Then you have the idea of how easy to 'get' their premise is, or if played the opposite, how mysterious and deep their premise is...

Iron Man... you have a pretty clear idea of what you're getting... the moment you see him on screen, you know so much about him...
Hulk... he's just that... the moment you see him, oh, he's a monster - and you're right, that's exactly what he is...
Thor... if you have any knowledge of Norse Mythology...
Captain America is a bit more squirrely, but you know you're getting a star spangled superhero...


That shorthand for the character is important too... sure people might show up for Angelina Jolie for any premise, but for most actresses, the premise is relevant.
I agree that they definitely will need a "name" actress, but unfortunately, there aren't too many out there at the moment that are 1) young enough to headline a franchise and 2) have the gravitas to have the franchise taken seriously. Hollywood starlets are a dime a dozen these days, but rarely do you get a Jennifer Lawrence or Jessica Chastain. Too bad Lawrence is already Mystique, because she probably would have made a good Ms. Marvel.

samsnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #161
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 12,047
Default Re: Marvel Looking into Female Characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsnee View Post
I agree that they definitely will need a "name" actress, but unfortunately, there aren't too many out there at the moment that are 1) young enough to headline a franchise and 2) have the gravitas to have the franchise taken seriously. Hollywood starlets are a dime a dozen these days, but rarely do you get a Jennifer Lawrence or Jessica Chastain. Too bad Lawrence is already Mystique, because she probably would have made a good Ms. Marvel.

Just because J-Law's already Mystique doesn't mean she's enslaved to the role, or that she can't play a different heroine for Marvel Studios; but yeah, she's probably out of MS' comfortable price range for now.

I agree that J-Law and Chastain are two of the few actresses capable of generating enough marquee buzz to support a solo superheroine movie right now. Old(er) standbys like Jolie, Aniston, Diaz, Julia and Bullock can still make bank. Charlize, Halle, and Kidman can probably still bring it, but they're getting older, too. I'd say that Hilary Swank, Kate Winslet, and Kate Beckinsale could draw a crowd. And although I wouldn't personally pay to see her in *anything,* K-Stew would definitely bring her fangirls out in droves. You could also try to do "crossovers" with spectacularly popular pop culture divas in a starring role (think Beyonce, Rihanna, Katy Perry, P!ink, Taylor Swift, Kim Kardashian), and they'd definitely draw big audiences; but the likelihood of the "actresses" themselves turning in trainwreck performances would be, of course, extremely high.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #162
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys
 
terry78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 61,429
Default Re: Marvel Looking into Female Characters

Like right now aside from Hathaway and Lawrence, how many younger actresses can most people name just off of sight alone? Aside from us and Hollywood insiders I mean.

__________________
The only thing funnier than watching stupid people argue is watching smart people argue.
-----------
Who the **** makes a movie and while planning it is like, "you know what this needs...is some Greg Kinnear."
terry78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #163
Endeavor
Que bolá con el timbeque?
 
Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: FL
Posts: 6,283
Default Re: Marvel Looking into Female Characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsnee View Post
Too bad Lawrence is already Mystique, because she probably would have made a good Ms. Marvel.
Chris Evans was Human Torch and that didn't stop him from becoming a damn good Capt America.

__________________
"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."
-- Peter David
Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #164
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games
 
blalex620's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 755
Default Re: Marvel Looking into Female Characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavor View Post
Chris Evans was Human Torch and that didn't stop him from becoming a damn good Capt America.
Chris Evans wasn't Human Torch for a few years before playing Cap. Lawrence is still Mystique and we don't know how long she'll be in that role for. If Marvel's trying to get a solo female movie out there next phase it's just as likely Lawrence will still be Mystique, which would make it sort of a conflict of interest.

__________________
1) Man of Steel 2) Thor 2 3) The Wolverine 4) Pacific Rim 5) Iron Man 3 6) Oblivion 7) Mortal Instruments: City of Bones 8) Ender's Game 9) Beautiful Creatures 10) After Earth
blalex620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #165
Endeavor
Que bolá con el timbeque?
 
Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: FL
Posts: 6,283
Default Re: Marvel Looking into Female Characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by blalex620 View Post
Chris Evans wasn't Human Torch for a few years before playing Cap. Lawrence is still Mystique and we don't know how long she'll be in that role for. If Marvel's trying to get a solo female movie out there next phase it's just as likely Lawrence will still be Mystique, which would make it sort of a conflict of interest.
It was recent enough that it was still in the GA's collective memory, so it's still a valid parallel. The Fox movies are not in the same continuity as the MCU movies so there's no conflict.
It's the same as saying Reynolds couldn't be GL because he was Deadpool in Wolverine Origins.

Correction: Barakacykepool

__________________
"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."
-- Peter David

Last edited by Endeavor; 06-04-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #166
samsnee
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,091
Default Re: Marvel Looking into Female Characters

I think between the Hunger Games and X-men, she probably wants the free time to do smaller films and not be tied to another franchise. The thing with Marvel Studios, it's a pretty intensive schedule assuming they release a sequel every two years.

samsnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #167
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 10,129
Default Re: Marvel Looking into Female Characters

I'm surprised Marvel doesn't create a Nightstalkers cartoon with Abigail Whistler and Hannibal King. The horror genre is solid and we could use a new cartoon that features monsters and monster hunters.

__________________
The swordsmanship's first achievement is the unity of man and sword. Once this unity is attained even a blade of grass can be a weapon.

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.
Red Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #168
Heliflyer
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 74
Default Re: Marvel Looking into Female Characters

This is a truly tough issue. There are some great female Marvel characters, but almost all of them are ancillary characters to a team or partnership. This makes bringing a solo film onto the screen difficult.

From a story and marketing standpoint, I believe the most effective way to bring successful female heroes to the screen is through crossover films or "partner" films. That said, I see tremendous potential with a "Cloak and Dagger" film. The pair are enigmatic, have unique abilities and have a relevant and urban backstory a GA can sink their collective teeth into.

There is great potential for croossover with other directions Marvel Studios wants to go - ie Dr. Strange and the darker/magic aspect of the MCU.

A Ms. Marvel film is terribly risky because it requires a very tricky redesign of the uniform that will send fan boys/girls into a frothy rage, because (sorry, 'tis true) a thong/anal wedgie uniform does not play well with the fams in Iowa, metaphorically speaking. She is cool as hell, has great story, but is a toughie to bring to a mainstream audience.

Dazzler comes to mind too as a good option for a very interesting and different character for a film, as does Talismann, who could bring a great crossover with Alpha Flight.

All said, I still think the best option for Marvel is a Cloak and Dagger film.

Or a Night Nurse, with lots of other heroes crossing her path with some mega-connecting threads.


Last edited by Heliflyer; 06-05-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Heliflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #169
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!
 
jonathancrane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Caverns in Arkham Island
Posts: 6,890
Default Re: Marvel Looking into Female Characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Mask View Post
I'm surprised Marvel doesn't create a Nightstalkers cartoon with Abigail Whistler and Hannibal King. The horror genre is solid and we could use a new cartoon that features monsters and monster hunters.
That would be awesome, considering the reluctance to tackle horror properties outside of Ghost Rider. However, it, or mature animation will not occur until there is a division-wide purge of individuals in charge (cough cough Loeb, cough cough Quesada.)

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Aaron
"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
“At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:38 AM   #170
Silvermoth
Avenger
 
Silvermoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 6,982
Default Re: Marvel Looking into Female Characters

Maybe they're worried horror will wreck their family friendly image?

__________________
Mutant and proud.

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:30 AM   #171
fixxxer
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore, India
Posts: 1,162
Default Re: Marvel Looking into Female Characters

I'm making 2 predictions:

1. Phase III onward, Marvel Studios will start pumping out 3 movies a year instead of the current 2... at least in years during which an Avengers movie isn't coming out.

2. Ms./Captain Marvel will be a Phase III film. Especially in light of Whedon's recent (very warranted) comments about how female superheroes are being completely neglected on the big screen.

fixxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:31 AM   #172
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 10,129
Default Re: Marvel Looking into Female Characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
That would be awesome, considering the reluctance to tackle horror properties outside of Ghost Rider. However, it, or mature animation will not occur until there is a division-wide purge of individuals in charge (cough cough Loeb, cough cough Quesada.)
I was thinking of a cartoon for teens.

__________________
The swordsmanship's first achievement is the unity of man and sword. Once this unity is attained even a blade of grass can be a weapon.

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.
Red Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #173
MarvelStudios77
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6
Default Re: Marvel Looking into Female Characters

Marvel Studios has two slots still open for Phase 3........so far we only know that

Ant-Man is going to be a part of Phase 3, as of now we are told No Iron Man 4 plans at this point and also no Hulk plans at this point, and there is a lot of rumors suggesting that Dr. Strange might get a solo film and then prehaps GOTG 2 if that film becomes a hit which is a question mark ??

1.) Captain America 3
2.) Thor 3
3.) Ant-Man
4.) Open slot
5.) Open slot
6.) Avengers 3

MarvelStudios77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #174
DrCosmic
Professor of Power
 
DrCosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: In the Moment
Posts: 6,344
Default Re: Marvel Looking into Female Characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Just because J-Law's already Mystique doesn't mean she's enslaved to the role, or that she can't play a different heroine for Marvel Studios; but yeah, she's probably out of MS' comfortable price range for now.
True... they need to catch people on the way up, so to speak. Even RDJ, they caught him on the way back up. Knightley would/could be on the way (back?) up. Catching indie actresses going mainstream, like Carey Mulligan might be a big win too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliflyer View Post
This is a truly tough issue. There are some great female Marvel characters, but almost all of them are ancillary characters to a team or partnership. This makes bringing a solo film onto the screen difficult.

From a story and marketing standpoint, I believe the most effective way to bring successful female heroes to the screen is through crossover films or "partner" films. That said, I see tremendous potential with a "Cloak and Dagger" film. The pair are enigmatic, have unique abilities and have a relevant and urban backstory a GA can sink their collective teeth into.

...

A Ms. Marvel film is terribly risky because it requires a very tricky redesign of the uniform that will send fan boys/girls into a frothy rage, because (sorry, 'tis true) a thong/anal wedgie uniform does not play well with the fams in Iowa, metaphorically speaking. She is cool as hell, has great story, but is a toughie to bring to a mainstream audience.
The partner film is part of why I think Ms. Marvel is the best and easiest, because she comes with a built in partner: Mar-Vell. And while fans did not initially like her new uniform, it definitely doesn't have that anal thing going on, and wouldn't provide any stir whatsoever at this point.

Cloak and Dagger would be interesting, but having them as Avengers would be a little odd, imho.

__________________
WW TV Show Ideas - X-Men TV Show Ideas -
With a Ph.D in Metascience
"Sufficiently understood magic is indistinguishable from science."
DrCosmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #175
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games
 
blalex620's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 755
Default Re: Marvel Looking into Female Characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelStudios77 View Post
Marvel Studios has two slots still open for Phase 3........so far we only know that

Ant-Man is going to be a part of Phase 3, as of now we are told No Iron Man 4 plans at this point and also no Hulk plans at this point, and there is a lot of rumors suggesting that Dr. Strange might get a solo film and then prehaps GOTG 2 if that film becomes a hit which is a question mark ??

1.) Captain America 3
2.) Thor 3
3.) Ant-Man
4.) Open slot
5.) Open slot
6.) Avengers 3
Two things 1. you're going off the assumption that Phase 3 will only be 2 films a year and seeing as Feige said he wants to do 3 films a year at least one year then we could definitely see a longer Phase 3.

2. Dr Strange is confirmed as coming after Ant-Man as the next new IP in Phase 3.

__________________
1) Man of Steel 2) Thor 2 3) The Wolverine 4) Pacific Rim 5) Iron Man 3 6) Oblivion 7) Mortal Instruments: City of Bones 8) Ender's Game 9) Beautiful Creatures 10) After Earth
blalex620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.